DM2 discussion

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

How do you get the minion to bring you the sword. They disappear as soon as they enter the room. I've sent a dozen in there but each one disintergrates as soon as the enter the room.
Once you enter the room you fall down to where worms are, you can climb up the ladder but you can't go anywhere. Is there a way out from within the caveren to get back outside to the area shown on the map?

I was wondering what those teleporters were for. Thanks for letting me know how to use them. It makes it easier getting back to the main town.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

How to get the Tempest sword...
The sword lies (I think) at the bottom of hte pit, in the room with the worms. When you pick it up, a pit opens above and thus you can't move from the square the ladder is on once oyu've climbed back up. The pit is only open if you have the Tempest in your inventory - if it's lying on the ground somewhere, the pit is closed.
Leave the sword ont he floor at the top of the ladder - the pit will be closed.
Equip the (red) minion map and press the "X" button. This will set an X on the square you're standing on (ie the one at the top of the ladder where you just dropped the sword).
Leave the pit room.
Open the minion map again and press the button that has a minion going away from the X.
A Porter Minion will appear on the X, pick up everything on that square (ie Tempest), and bring it to you, dropping it at your feet.
I think what you were doing wrong was pressing the other button - the one with a minion going toward the X. When you do this, the minion that appears wil pick up everything on the square you're standing on and carry it to the X.
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Thanks all for your help with getting the tempest swords. I also found a couple areas that I had to back into to get another sword and something else I forgot what, but those areas don't show up anymore.

I've read in the walkthrough and the clue book to look around carefully to find the way to the outside to the area surrounding Skullkeep. I can't find this exit anywhere and I've look and pushed and pulled. I see from the map that once you're in there the exit is where the little thieves regenerate.

Beowuff, can you please take me step by step on how to switch my DM characters (PC version) to the CSBWin format. My PC version is in:
C:\dmgames\dm\dm-1\
The Windows version is: c:\dmgames\csbwin
Thanks
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When you say "find the way to the outside to the area surrounding Skullkeep", do you mean, basically, how to get back outside again once you've gone in? Because that's easy - if you're still fairly near the bottom, you can just go back down and through the door you came in originally (the Clan Key one). If you're furthe rup and can't be arsed to run all that way, just use the Tech Shield.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry i didn't get back to this:

Find your saved game 'dmsave.dat' which will be in the root of your dm-1 folder. PUll it across to the csbwin folder. Hopefully you should have CSBuild.exe in that folder. If not, download it from the encyclopaedia. Open your PC game in it, and you will get a series of 'errors' then it will try looking at in in a different endian, and oila, it will oepn the dungeon. Resave it as 'csbgame.dat' in the csbwin folder

Now run csbwin, and use the 'utility' and open the csbgame.dat. You should see you DM champions, press 'make new adventure', save into a saved game slot, then quit. Rerun csbwin. and this time press dungeon, and then 'resume' with that saved game slot - you will start CSB with your DM champions
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Ameena wrote:When you say "find the way to the outside to the area surrounding Skullkeep", do you mean, basically, how to get back outside again once you've gone in? Because that's easy - if you're still fairly near the bottom, you can just go back down and through the door you came in originally (the Clan Key one). If you're furthe rup and can't be arsed to run all that way, just use the Tech Shield.
No, there's an area shown on the outside map that surrounds a section of Skullkeep, and to get out a part opens by where the little thieves regenerate.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Beowuff,
It loads like you said, and I saved it as CSBGAME.DAT. It loads into CSBWIN but when I choose 'make new adventure' it give me the error message 'Can't find New Adventure MINI.DAT'.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops

The mini.dat file is the one that has template of the the CSB dungeon in it. If you are using the CSBwin downloaded from the encyclopaedia, I forgot that each game has a seperate folder in the /module/ section - put the csbgame.dat into the csb-atari folder (which will also have the mini.dat file), and run the game using 'csb-atari.bat' not the csbwin.exe file
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Maybe to get into this little area you speak of, you just have to approach the hedge from the correct side and it'll open or something...I'm not sure which bit you're referring to but I don't expect there's anything in there you need - once you've got the four Clan Key pieces, everything else needed to finish the game is inside Skullkeep itself.
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

beowuuf wrote:Oops

The mini.dat file is the one that has template of the the CSB dungeon in it. If you are using the CSBwin downloaded from the encyclopaedia, I forgot that each game has a seperate folder in the /module/ section - put the csbgame.dat into the csb-atari folder (which will also have the mini.dat file), and run the game using 'csb-atari.bat' not the csbwin.exe file
This worked. Also, if you save it it'll load into DM for windows, you just can't edit the names like you can in CSB Win. I forgot how often you keep falling through the floors in CSB.

A problem with DMII, while I'm playing the game after a few minutes it just automatically exits out of the game and I'm back at the DOS prompt within DOSBox. Any idea why that happens?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Ameena wrote:Maybe to get into this little area you speak of, you just have to approach the hedge from the correct side and it'll open or something...I'm not sure which bit you're referring to but I don't expect there's anything in there you need - once you've got the four Clan Key pieces, everything else needed to finish the game is inside Skullkeep itself.
right now I can't really do anything, after I've been playing for a few minutes the game exits and I'm back at the DOSBox DOS prompt. I'm inside Skullkeep where I needed to put gears to get through, I think, 3 doors. I can't get back out but there's a teleporter. I dropped down to some caverns and now the game exists out.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Okay, I'm getting really tired of this game at this point. I'm at the place where there are these reflecting mirrors, but I can't get anywhere. I'm constantly being attacked by the minions, and I mean this is really excessive. I've closed the portals with MON level ZO spells but they keep pouring in. This much is just ridiculous and it really does take the fun out of the game. I'm not even sure what to do with the mirrors, and I can't move forward with the endless attacks by the minions. Is there something to do to stop this extremely excessive attacks by them?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, everyone hates the minions

The mirrors are at the close of the game, you are almost there, but it is annoying,. Guard minions and you own attack minions can help
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah they are bloody annoying, those buggers...I played DM2 again a few months ago and I seem to recall that when I'd port back to town to sell/sleep, whenever I then ported back up (to the pad nearest the Zo-Link machine), there's be two (or was it three...) Minions repopped and were waiting for me. I seem to recall putting a brazier thing and a table somewhere, I think, to block it so that at least one of them wouldn't be able to get me or something...or was that me just moving the brazier so I could get past without having to keep moving it...hmm I can't remember...but if you're at the bit with the mirrors in the room that's tha a runway-type-thingy down the middle (and loads of machinery and stuff) then like Wuffy said, you're right near the end of the game :).
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Here's where I'm at: Forgive all spelling mistakes.
I entered an area where I found an onyx and skull keys. When I picked both up I was trapped. So I threw one back and it landed in the wall and the thing holding me shut off so I could move. So I used the onyx key first to go as far as I could (they really need to not have so many minions come at you, it really takes the fun out of the game as it is over done.). I used a giant torch to keep the onyx door open (it kept slamming) while I went and exchanged the onyx key for the skull key. Them I moved the giant torch and let the door mit me in the head a few times as I got threw. I eventually entered a teleporter into this little room. I shoved a giant torch into a table and the table collapsed. I destryoed the other table. I took the two mirrors and put them on the sewer plates in the room that I think is the Zo-Link machine. Fireballs are hitting the machine from two sides and there is what looks like electricity across the floor to what looks like should become an opening but nothing is opening. There were 4 levers/switches that I used but still nothing opens. Just two streams of fireballs and electicity across the floor. What do I do now?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, some of the other skullkep mechaincs get interfered with (like the troll guys stoking the boiler) but essentially you have compelted the ZO link.

Just quickly go back and de-minion the stoking area and you should get a zo link right to dargoth
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah you have to make sure that both the furnace and the errm water thingy are working properly (there are monitors for these in the control room but as Wuffy said, it's normally the Rockies in the furnace cavern who need a hand if the machine is buggered). Then you turn on the fireball generators in the Zo-Link room and they zap the thingy to make the electricity stuff go along the runway thingy and then the portal opens...I think you can shut off the Fireballs once that happens since I think the portal stays open permanently once you've activated it...
On Master

Post by Suule »

It does. AND remember that you have to synchronize the launchers perfectly.
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I went back, got the rock people to keep the fires burning, opened the portal and am in a blue cloudy looking area. There's no where to go. You walk over the edge and you end up in various places you've been before. Yet this place leads to nowhere. That and an endless assault by the minions. I've played DM, CSB and all 3 Eye of the Beholder, but this is the first game I'm ready to just quit. I'm disgusted with it. The minion attacks are just way too excessive to make the game enjoyable. I've got attack minions but they attack right through them, and it's ceaseless. I can't even heal my guys since they're endlessly being attacked. There's no one to fight but endless minions. I do see where some clouds break away and float off but when I stand on them to float with them I end up back at the beginning of the portal. The area doesn't look like anything on the maps. So is this the end of the game? You just stand there and fight endless minions?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, the main villian dagoth is here. There are two posts that explian the tactics of dealing wit he end boss, but a healthy suppli of minion spells yorself will not hurt.
If you can kill him then game is won...but I don't know why there are so many minions - if you can go to a previous game and seek him out faster with your own guard/attack minions in place (guard minions protect you, attack minions will seek out dargoth)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Closing all the wall-mounted zo portals throughout the game helps reduce minions.

I have a quote from Doug somewhere about the minions. I'll see if I can find it.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I've actually started to play with a "minion containment" policy. In the areas around Skullkeep, I've made sure to NOT activate the first door after the Ra Door that completes the loop around the castle because an attack minion in spawned somewhere in that quadrant. I do not plan on opening the exit that leads from the first floor cave to the outside, either. Once inside, I'm going to cover as many ZO portals as I can with pillars so that nothing can come out.
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

What does Dagoth look like? All I see is endless minions. One problem I'm facing is my minions don't last that long, but Dagoth's minions come in hordes. They can shoot at me behind the giant torches, but I can't shoot at them when they're behind them. I've closed the portals but they reopen in a few minutes and then I'm being attacked by 3 to 4 minions that keep firing lightening bolts at me at super speed. My characters can't fire back rapidly even though they're at EE and PAL Master Wizards. The two front characters are wearing the fire armor. One in the back is wearing the ra armor and the other the tech armor. I like exploring and solving the puzzles like we all did in DM and CSB, and even the 3 Eye of the Beholder series. But in DMII I can't do either because I'm constantly under attack by endless minions. I mean it is really excessive. They go right around my minions, even the guard minions. I get really frustrated cause even my guard minions don't really offer any protection from them. I think it might be because of the extremely excessive number of them.

The area of the cloud that looks like it breaks away and moves outward, why can't I walk on that? It looks like it might go somewhere but soon as I step on it I end up back at the void entrance.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Gambit37 wrote:Closing all the wall-mounted zo portals throughout the game helps reduce minions.

I have a quote from Doug somewhere about the minions. I'll see if I can find it.
If you can find that I really would appreciate it. I've closed the portals with the ZO spell but they come back in a few minutes and I'm under heavy attack all over again. They sure take all the fun out of playing the game.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I remember Beo mentioning someone did an interview with FTL about DM2. I wonder if you can point me to it, or mail it to me. It would benefit into building DM2.5
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

purple1 wrote:I've actually started to play with a "minion containment" policy. In the areas around Skullkeep, I've made sure to NOT activate the first door after the Ra Door that completes the loop around the castle because an attack minion in spawned somewhere in that quadrant. I do not plan on opening the exit that leads from the first floor cave to the outside, either. Once inside, I'm going to cover as many ZO portals as I can with pillars so that nothing can come out.
I can tell you that putting tables or giant torches don't stop the minions from coming out of the portals, I've tried that and it doesn't work. The ZO spell closes the portals for a few minutes, but then they reopen and you're under heavy attack all over again. I think that part is very poorly designed.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I think I handle Minions by just zapping them when they appear - a certain number seem to respawn every time I enter an area but I can't really remember. However, I can help you with getting through the Void - at the part you mentioned where the ledge moves away from you, that's exactly what it's doing - it's a moving ledge. You kinda have to charge along with it (don't be encumbered!) but not so far that you run straight across the opposite ledge and fall off lol.
Incidentally, there are three or four locations you can end up in when you fall out of the Void, which I think depends on where you fall from. I know you can end up at the Void entrance, in the cemetary, ermm I think in the Thorn Demon area or something...maybe the start town...and probably one or two other locations.
And you'll know Dragoth when you see him - he looks nothing like a Minion and he's the only living thing up there besides your party ;).
On Master

Post by Suule »

He's blue and pissed
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

PaulH when he's lost his keys at night?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I found the the quote but it doesn't really help:
[Gambit]: Many players felt that the minions really got in the way of the game, and made it very difficult to complete as they continually regenerate. What are your feelings about the Minions?

[Doug Bell]The emphasis change in DM II was that the creatures were the puzzles as much as the dungeon was. So I guess I’d have to say, you need to figure out a strategy to deal with them.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”