I, you..... Wii?!

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

I, you..... Wii?!

Post by PadTheMad »

Yep, Nintendo have FINALLY announced the name of their new console (previously codenamed 'Revolution'), and it's a bit bizarre to say the least:

'Wii'

Apparently it's pronounced the same as 'we', as in 'we all play games together', and emphasising that the console is for everyone. Simple and catchy, and instantly recognisable no matter what your native tounge. Apparently...

To be fair it's just a name and the only way we'll find out wether or not it's a good console and will actually cause some 'revolution' of sorts is to buy one!

Here's the news link to Nintendo's site:

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/G ... CZRDTV1y8N
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

as in I've had a wee bit too much to drink.. or.. I have to take a wee..
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Weird name, but I don't really care. It's the system that counts, not the name. At least Nintendo isn't as boring as Sony (PlayStation, PlayStation 2, then PlayStation 3 - wow!) or Microsoft (what will be next? XBox 720? Or will they immediately jump to XBox 1080?).
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Or maybe the XBox has turned around so many times they'll just end up calling it the 'Microsoft Xb.. I'm too.... dizzy...-.now... bleeeurgh' or something equally challenging. I was reading Xbox Live's Major Nelson's blog and he said:
Why are product code names always cooler then the actual final name of a product?
What was the XBox's again? Xenon i think. That was cooler too... At least this one's simple, easy to remember and pronounce.
mikko
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

Wee, pee, whatever.. I think that name is just plain stupid. But that's just me.. :D
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

I want to play with my Wii all night long
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Maybe the name is an in-joke?

With the people in the nintendo design team?

Hhhhmmmm.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As CAD pointed out, who cares abotu the name, it's ok, but look at all the free publicity they have managed to get themsevles right before E3!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

In an online game thingy I've been paying these last few months, there's been a post made about the Wii thing too, and some pretty funny (though terrible) puns on it...
http://parslow.com/mornington/move.pl?303
...if anyone's interested ;).
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Beo you read CAD Comics?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, yes I do