When animated monsters attack...

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
copperman
Um Master

When animated monsters attack...

Post by copperman »

Not sure if this is a bug as such, but definately a bug-bear for me.

When a monster attacks and hits, it's damage is applied immediately, before the animated attack has time to play. To me this breaks the use of animation in monster attacks.

Can damage be shown and applied after the last attack frame ?
Don't be scene or herd!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, wouldn't it feel more natural in the middle?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The way to do is is to have a "delay before doing the damage" parameter in the attack method - then you can have it whereever you like.

The problem with doing that however, is that is generates huge problems for game play. For example, it would mean that at the time you swing the weapon, there might be a monster there, but at the time the damage is done, it's gone (or the other way around).

Interestingly, this could be viewed as being a good thing - for example, it would stop people ready-ing a weapon, leaping in front of a monster for a split-second, clicking the mouse and leaaping back out the way again. The question would be; is that too un-DM...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Thinking about it, there would also be quite a serious UI issue for the party. For example, if there was a delay between clicking the mouse to initiate an attack by the party and the attack actually hitting the monster then you wouldn't be able to show the jagged damage image immediately. This would leave a second or two where the rest of the party were unable to make attacks. I don't think that would go down very well...

Don't get me wrong here, I actually really like the idea of having a delay, but I can't see how it would work in practice!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

See,s to me you just have to accept the limit or attacks will happen at the start of a frame : )
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Y'all missed that one. I want monsters attacks to synch with the damage they do, not players hitting monsters.
Don't be scene or herd!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

It's the same thing as far as the engine is concerned though...it's just an attack method - they can be used by anything; player or monster.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

GG did mention players slipping away from monsters quickly : )
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Ok, sorry. How about a delay in the cloned monster itself, in the assignment of the attack method, add a delay there. Then it doesn't effect player attacks.
On moving away from an attack, why not. eg If you telegraph a hay-maker anyone in there right mind would step back, wouldn't they?
Don't be scene or herd!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Anywya, gg's suggestion of the delay is exactly what would be wanted, so i say go with that. If you wanna put it at the end of the attack, allowing someone to step away from a powerful attack (dragon gets bigger before breaths out flame) then you can do it without it messing up every other attack
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

So, just so I can get this straight:

Are you thinking similar to DM2, where the monsters didn't damage you until the animation was done?
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Stryker: Yes exactly that.
Don't be scene or herd!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I also suport this idea: Allowing the dungeon designer to have a menacing image for a split-second before a devastating attack might add some interesting possiblities for certain costum monsters. As usual however, this should be custom only, not general.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.