[Fixed for V0.42] Strange idea - strange problems! HELP!!!

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trakl
Journeyman

[Fixed for V0.42] Strange idea - strange problems! HELP!!!

Post by Trakl »

HELP!

I'm working on my own dungeon right now, as I said...

I want to come up with something very cool, so I invented...

"The Magical Scarab Device" (an hommage to "Cronos" maybe...)

It has the following features:

- does not do anything when worn oder carried in backpack
- when thrown, it changes into a tiny *flying scarab* that attacks
all monsters with small lightning bolts at high speed
- it can be either caught out of mid-air (if I'm right, this is done by "click 1" change into scarab device again - please tell me if I'm wrong) OR - due to its low hit points of 20 - it dies and falls down as object "scarab device", where it can be retrieved.
- it is immune to fire or poison but extremely vulnerable to lightning. it is very fearful.

Sounds cool, heh? Now the Problem:

I wanted to create a new bitmap out of the scarab bitmap. When I click on "add" it says "wrong size", always referenced with a "boost party by object".

I tried it anyway, but it crashed:

Error:
an access violation exception.

Stack Dump:
RTCMediaGraphics.DrawTrans(pointer 0x02393348, pointer 0x00DE0DF0, int 212, int 142, pointer 0x0012EF88, bool TRUE);
RTCFont.DrawText(pointer 0x00DE0DF0, string "CRITICAL ERROR - TERMINATING PROGRAM\\\\LOADING DUNGEON OBJECT\\DIMENSIONS INVALID\\GIVEN 0,0\\SHOULD BE 32,15?\\\\\\ATTEMPTING TO TERMINATE IN 10 SECONDS", int 320, int 173, int 0, int 0, int 3);
RTC.DrawMenuTerminalError();
RTC.ProgStateTerminalError();
RTC.DoFrame(int 666);
RTC.DisplayTerminalError(string "Critical Error - Terminating Program\n\nLoading dungeon object\nDimensions invalid\nGiven 0,0\nShould be 32,15?");
RTC.TerminalError(int 9, string "CRITICAL ERROR - TERMINATING PROGRAM\\\\LOADING DUNGEON OBJECT\\DIMENSIONS INVALID\\GIVEN 0,0\\SHOULD BE 32,15?\\\\\\ATTEMPTING TO TERMINATE IN 10 SECONDS");
RTC.LoadSingleBitmapEx(pointer 0x0012F84C, pointer 0x00000000, int 0, pointer 0x03D276A0, int 0, int 0, bool TRUE);
RTC.RestoreBitmap(int 5618, int 6);
RTC.CacheBitmap(int 5618, int 0);
RTC.DrawBitmap(pointer 0x00DE0EE0, int 5618, int 0, int 224, int 208, word 1, float 0);
RTC.DrawDungeonItem(int 19999, int 10, int 8);
RTC.DrawDungeonCorner(int 8, int 10, word 19999, int 8, bool FALSE, bool FALSE);
RTC.DrawDungeonTile(int 10, char 20, char 8, char 0);
RTC.DrawDungeonView(char 20, char 7, char 0, char 2);
RTC.ProgStateInDungeon();
RTC.DoFrame(int 50);
RTC.WinMain();
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*cough sophia's north star cough*
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Hmmmm what might that be? Have I missed something?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hi - the crash is a direct (and expected) result of the invalid bitmap problem.

So, we need to understand what's wrong with the bitmap. The bit that I don't understand is:
I wanted to create a new bitmap out of the scarab bitmap. When I click on "add" it says "wrong size", always referenced with a "boost party by object".
Specifically:

1) What do you mean by creating a new bitmap out of another one.

2) What do you mean by referenced with a "boost party by object"? That doesn't have anything to do with bitmaps...

Once that's solved, then everything else should fall into place :D
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

George Gilbert wrote: Specifically:

1) What do you mean by creating a new bitmap out of another one.
I just cut out a new bitmap out of a hardcopied screenshot that is 32x15 pixels and wanted to "Add bitmap" - that doesn't work, I don't know why.
2) What do you mean by referenced with a "boost party by object"? That doesn't have anything to do with bitmaps...
Yes, that's exactly what I thought!

I'd be glad if you told me how to manage the bitmaps of a "flying scarab" in the editor.
The result should be a flying scarab the size of a shuriken (of which I now use the bitmap as a test dummy) but with monster behavior (attacking monsters with lightning).

:shock:
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Now I finished a working scarab device. I just looks like a shuriken though....

Sometimes it shoots a lightning against a wall and kills itself. Very funny :)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

How are you trying to add a bitmap? Can you tell me *exactly* what you do (describe each and every mouse click you make / thing you type in to the editor).

I still don't understand what you mean by the "boost party by object" - where are you seeing this?

Please don't be afraid of putting in too much detail!
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Ok! :D

Well. I have this new .bmp that is 32x15 pixels with transparency.

Then I choose "Add/replace graphics" from the menu.

I click "Add New..." and browse for my bitmap. Whatever I choose (1, 3 or 6 scaling) it says: "Bitmap size mismatch for "ACTION_BOOST_CHARACTER_BYOBJECT". Given 0,0. Expecting 32,15."

And that's it! I can't use a 0,0 bitmap, because it will neither be displayed, nor will the game run because it crashes when I throw my object. (see error logfile)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ahh right - thankyou.

This is just a bug in RTC V0.41 - now fixed for V0.42!

In the meantime, you can add the new bitmap using a text editor to directly alter your dungeon.txt file - if you need any help with this, please let us know.