[Not a bug] Earth key pit in DM2

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
billgus
Journeyman

[Not a bug] Earth key pit in DM2

Post by billgus »

(I mentioned this in another message for 0.42, but the message disappeared.)

When you press the button that pops the Earth Key out of its hole, the button also opens the pit - so the key drops down. In RTC's version, the party entering the square opens the pit.

Is this a variation between DM2 implementations - ST versus Amiga versus IBM, etc? The guide book says the button opens the pit.

P.S. There were some significant variations between the IBM DM2 and the guide. The Imp maze in the guide is really different than the IBM version. I think the guide book was based on the ST version.
billgus
Journeyman

Post by billgus »

OK, I found my old message in the archives. The search feature of the forum didn't see it for some reason.

Anyway, the problem is dumping the party 2 levels down. I always lose 1 character and usually 2. And then I have to go get back inside - and found myself locked out.

Perhaps a trigger in front of the pit? Or just time delay it?

You are right about the possiblity of the player not noticing. But the FTL versiosn did it and I don't remember there beinga issue. Having a pit suddenly opening - it is visible from the button position - is a big clue that something happened.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is no clue your key dropped down the pit

I agree the pit could appear once the party has faced the square, so you could at least use a rope to minimise the fall damage