Why am I banned?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Why am I banned?

Post by MitchB1990 »

My entire networks IP has been banned, I have no Idea why. I already emailed George but he has sent me no reply. My Email is MitchB1990@gmail.com

Someone please contact me about this
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

how is it you are visiting us now? It's not George who would have done that, the only enthusiastic banning person I know of at the moment is Wuuf.. but he usually doesn't ban regulars... except Trantor.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hi there - I'm afraid I havn't had any emails / private messages from you (and certainly havn't banned you)!

As cows mentioned, beowuuf is normally the person who does the most fiddling with the admin rights; no doubt he'll be along soon and be able to let you know what might have happened.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

He said he was away for the weekend at his cousin's wedding...I dunno if that means he'll be away from the Net as well but just thought I better mention it in case he doesn't show up for another few days...
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You might have happened to share an ip block with some spammers and someone (probably beo, or maybe gambit, they seem to do most of that stuff) banned it...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I ban IP addresses of spammers, afraid that at some point someone might share one - address by address though, not a range, so very bad luck if its affected you

Can you tell me the IP range of your network? There are many codes and so on aroudn that will let you find this out, or even use windows own internal one if you know where it is

I am on very limited access just now and hey, guess what I spent most of that interrupted time doing! So yeah, can't look into this until either Sunday nioght or more likely Monday night

Actually, if your IP is banned how did you log on?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

From a different computer, surely?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's what I wanted to know - does his IP dynamically give him addresses so there is a range to worry about, or does he have a single fixed one that always comes up that I can weed out!
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

WOOO! Unbanned :)

In the process I discovered using a proxy server can get past the forums security (albeit partially only allowing to post in guest forums)

Edit: also is your Email still the same one being used on the Raging Mole website or has it changed? Thats the one I sent the email to.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That is because you have a different IP address when you go through a proxy

Also, you looked like a spammer when you were a guest, as you were on multiple places including member list, which is not an area a guest would usually go I would imagine!

And who are you talking to? GG? It would be the same one I would imagine...