"Bugs" when party is empty

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

"Bugs" when party is empty

Post by Joramun »

- No way to quit the game when the party is empty (alt+F4 never active, and no Quit menu accesible...) I suggest to add alt+F4 as a shortcut to close the game. It might save someone's job ;)
Plus it's annoying to have to call ctrl+alt+del to close dsb.

- Collision with monster active ! (no "telefragging" and no possibility to move through monster)
It's probably possible to change the default... it has no effect on DM and CSB though !
So a discussion is required about what the "party spirit" can or cannot do.

- Staircases go crazy. Well, it just doesn't teleport you until you spin inside the staircase.
- Teleporters don't work... etc.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Joramun wrote:I suggest to add alt+F4 as a shortcut to close the game.
Done.
Joramun wrote:a discussion is required about what the "party spirit" can or cannot do
In original DM, its range and its purpose was very limited, and as such, a lot of behavior was undefined-- and occasional strange things happened.

In DSB, I've tried to keep things a little less irregular, but I've also not tested it exhaustively. The reason stairs/teleporters/etc. don't work is that the "ghost" in general doesn't trigger floor triggers (this is a typically a good thing) and, to the DSB core engine, stairs are just a special form of floor trigger.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Well, I agree that the ghost should not be able to click/trigger anything unless special conditions (like mirrors)

It's weird because I'm sure that the staircase teleported the empty party :
- stepping onto the staircase doesn't teleport
- spinning once "on" the staircase does teleport ! (I could see the worm in the test level)
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

That's because stepping onto the staircase calls arch.on_trigger, but turning whilst standing on it calls arch.on_turn. The code for triggers checks if there is no party (actually, it checks if the leader is undefined, which means no party), and "on_turn" does not.

One option is to make this consistent, and add a property to the arch akin to no_party_clickable for the mirrors: something like no_party_triggerable set on stairs (and maybe teleporters?)

This way, all a designer would have to do to suppress the ability to use stairs when no party was chosen was to unset this property...
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I think stairs should be no_party_triggerable=true by default, because it can cause graphical glitches that are really ugly in the opposite case.
What Is Your Quest ?