Trying to.....

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Burnt Conspiracy
Neophyte

Trying to.....

Post by Burnt Conspiracy »

i'm tryin to balance the game a little (especially make it a bit more difficult), but i was wondering what the community thinks would be good "standard" for the starting stats...

current:
50 HP
67 STAM
10 MP

-blank- on all levels
40 (all stats)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Yeah this is a really tricky one. Are you 'forcing' the player to accept one champion or more, or will you be offering them a choice as the original dungeon?
Also if your dungeon is more puzzle based then the stats make less of a difference.
Take a look at the stats of both the original DM and CSB, and think which dungeon style is yours most similar to? A nice build up of monster difficulty or a 'in your face' type style.

Edit: DSB -> CSB, wonder why I made that mistake ;)
Last edited by ian_scho on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnt Conspiracy
Neophyte

i'm allowing for open choice, i hate the DM2 forcing of Torham :evil:

but yea, plenty of creatures, plus new areas that i'm planning on adding some new items to if possible :D
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

there is a dm2-hacked-version
that does not have Torham in party.
(somewhere on the encylopaedia)
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Lower stamina (50 maybe) and mana at 5 or less will make it more difficult.

I also suggest having the Thicket thieve's hideouts unreachable by characters. If an item is stolen and you don't kill the thief before he reaches his hideout, the item is gone for good, I don't expect characters to hold real important items like keys in their hands so there should be no problem. Same for Axemen too maybe.

Vexirks who can cast Attack/Guard Minions.

Several Dru Tan(s).
Burnt Conspiracy
Neophyte

its called "notorham.zip" or somethin like that, the problem is that it glitches out at the ramhead area....

lower stamina sounds good, 5mp would indeed be a challenge :P

i'm currently researching the thing about thicket thieves... because an axeman thief (not an axeman) took my exsymyrr (spelling) and when he dropped it it dissapeared... found out later that it was back in the shop being sold :?

the trigger is "item recycler", combined with a teleport tile and "item teleport"... its confusing and i'm still messin around with it.

also, cant add too many activator/actuators with Kentaro's dm2 dungeon.dat editor or it gives you an error message...

overall, i'm makin mad progress.

vexirks casting attack/guard mins? that would be vicious...

dru-tan is a pain... i filled up his lair with attack mins and he just slapped them away :!:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh Dru Tan's a git. I just run manically from him and try to use the trap thing on him. Last time I did it, it worked fine though so woohoo :twisted:.
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

ah, good ol' Dru Tan. He's a real pain, especially if you encounter him in those narrow passageways after that archway. in the largert area, I got him by raining mon-level fireballs on him as fast as I could cast them, and when he tried to get me with his poison spells I just dodged sideways and then started up the fireball barage when the poison was past me. He died a firey death before long... :twisted:

but adding more Dru Tan's would make it much more difficult.

If you wanted to be evil, you could try adding a Dru Tan generator... :P :twisted:
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

The Axemen's stolen goods get redistributed to the shops, if you go through the trouble to study the actuators with Kentaro's editor. I was VERY upset when I lost my Blue Steele to that. Those things are not cheap!
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

really... I always wondered why the items put in the vexirk vat ended up in an area at the axemen woods, but eventually would not end up there anymore. I guess eventually some axemen pick them up from the ground, put them back at their respawn square, and then they eventually end up back in the shops. If I could still play DM2 I'd test this to see if the Meteor Metal ends up in the possession of whichever merchant has it listed as an item on their display screen.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

If you're quick enough, you can make a few Snake Staffs (staves?) and run back to the Axemen's woods to retrieve the ingredients before they are redistributed. They're lighter than Axes, and they're worth several times as much. It's a good money-making strategy if you're not good at fighting Axemen.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

that would work, but I always seem to run into axemen in those woods.

Then I have to kill them and take their axes. Oh the inconvenience of it! :P

8)

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”