Blunt and Sharp Resistances

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Blunt and Sharp Resistances

Post by Soaponarope »

I have some questions about how the blunt and sharp resistances work.

In my game I have some monsters meant to take very little damage from certain attacks, (like bladed weapons for instance) while taking full or increased damage from others (like blunt weapons.) I have noticed some strange things when testing this however.

One, any ninja based attack seems to do full damage no matter what the resistances are set at. I'm guessing this is a feature, but it's one that seems to make it impossible to implement weapon resistances to things like thrown weapons.

I wanted to have monsters like skeletons take little damage from being shot by arrows for example. Is there a way to do this at all for ninja skills?

Another thing I notice is lowering the resistance not only seems to lessen damage, but affects hit chance. When I made a monster with it's sharp set to 10, I thought the party would just do very minor damage when using swords, but they seem to miss nearly every time too. Is there a way to make these factors separate?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Blunt and Sharp Resistances

Post by Gambit37 »

It's a bit unknown I'm afraid. Unless George specifically states how these things work, you're stuck with guess work!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I do not think you can separate the resistance and hit probablity (make sure you were facing the monster when you tested however, that may cause strange inaccuracy at least in my experince), but you CAN make ninja attacks to not penetrate armour: take a look at the attack styles: action type Damage_pypartyfront_blunt causes the damage to be factored by blunt resistance, and damage_bypartyfront_sharp is factored obvivously by sharp resistance. However, ninja weapons usually have Damage_bypartyfront_skill. There are damage_bypartyfront_force and damage_bypartyfront_magic too but I am not sure about what factors them.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

I realize this is due to the attack method being damage by skill when I said ninja attacks, but if I changed all skill based attacks to blunt or sharp, then ninjas would act exactly like fighters. Throws would be based on strength and weapon weight and dexterity would be a useless stat.

By the way, damage by force is affected by blunt resistance, and strangely enough so is damage by magic.

Magic damage doesn't really have anything to do with magic at all, and is just blunt damage determined by wizard level and wisdom instead of fighter level and strength.
Last edited by Soaponarope on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Upon further testing I have found several more strange things.

It seems I was wrong about skill damage being it's own type and it is affected by blunt resistance as well, even though this makes no sense. This still leaves the problem of being able to change skill attacks independently however. Swinging a mace and shooting an arrow are tied to the same damage type when bashing would be far more effective against things like skeletons and golems. I really wish damage types and resistances could be altered somehow.

As it is right now, every attack method except sharp and ghost does blunt damage. Also magic damage affects ghost types as well; making the difference between the magic and ghost attack methods a difference of blunt and slashing and not what is stated in the wiki.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Gambit37 wrote:Unless George specifically states how these things work, you're stuck with guess work!
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Yes, I was rather just stating my findings on how they work for anyone else interested.

It would have been great if George made his code available when he left, though I can certainly understand his reasons for not wanting to.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Wow with such knowledge you have no need to be asking, you are already the wisest.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

I assume this is sarcasm, because I'm certainly not the wisest.

I think there may be misunderstanding here, I am just trying to be helpful.

I know I ask a lot of questions, I just like to find out how everything works and use every option available in my game.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Soap, I think I can speak for everyone here that your input and your questions are much appreciated. I'm simply afraid that you have pushed RTC more than almost everybody else, and so we often cannot help you. We can only hope that GG will once return to his baby and clear a lot of stuff up (along with fixing bugs and adding new features :wink:).