What combination of stats/attacks will BASH a door?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

What combination of stats/attacks will BASH a door?

Post by Gambit37 »

Some weapons will successfully bash a door down, some won't (rgardless of the strength/fighter level of the champion wielding them.)

For example, the Inquisitor can't bash a door, but an Axe can. It seems as if only certain types of attacks can successfully bash doors down, for example, these work:

BASH: (ACTION_DAMAGE_BYPARTYFRONT_FORCE, STRENGTH=2)
CHOP: (ACTION_DAMAGE_BYPARTYFRONT_SHARP, STRENGTH=10)

...but these don't:

SWING: (ACTION_DAMAGE_BYPARTYFRONT_BLUNT, STRENGTH=4)
THRUST: (ACTION_DAMAGE_BYPARTYFRONT_BLUNT, STRENGTH=15)

It seems as if the damage TYPE is the factor that determines a successful door bashing. The strength doesn't seem to be relevant.

Has anyone confirmed this, or have any more information?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: What combination of stats/attacks will BASH a door?

Post by Trantor »

I have never looked too deeply into this, but I can confirm that Thrust, Jab or Parry won't bash doors. I'm surprised The Inquisitor cannot bash doors, as I am relatively sure I knocked down several doors with Inquisitor Berzerks. I always thought that if a door can be bashed at all depends on the type of attack, and at least in RTC, Strength seems to be a factor as well.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, the characater's strength is important, but it doesn't matter if it 's really high if they use a non-bashing attack.

The Inquisitor can in fact bash a door with Beserk, but if you don't have a Beserk attack because you're character isn't experienced enough, then you only have Swing and Thrust as options -- which are non-bashable attacks.

There's still a ton of stuff hidden deep in RTC that I'm learning. It would be cool if GG could tell us all this stuff so we don't have to waste days and days of tweaking and fiddling... :-)
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Being able to destroy doors is hard coded to certain attack methods only. Force and Sharp will do it, but blunt and skill will not.

If you want a thrust attack to break it down you must make a new attack method (like thrust2) and just set it to do force or sharp damage instead. Then replace all weapons with the thrust attack with your new custom one. Berserk on the other hand is a sharp attack, which is why it works. It has nothing to do with the item itself.

The character's strength is what affects the bash percentage that can be individually set on each door. This bash percentage of 1-100 correlates to the strength percentage of 1-255. However setting the bash percentage at 100 is still impossible to break even for a character with 255 strength.

This means most characters can break down a common wooden door with a bash percentage of 15, while one set at 99 will need a character with maxed out strength. Of course you must be using the right attack method. A kick works for this because a kick is set to force damage by default.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, this matches my observations.

It's odd that a BLUNT attack won't work on doors -- you'd have thought that's a more appropriate type of attack! (IE, big fat blunt crushing maces and the like -- those would easily break through wood.)
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

It's just misnamed really. The crushing maces and the like are force, and blunt is actually the same as skill just fighter based instead of ninja. Which is why arrows do blunt damage.

Blunt is more for things like punch, and you probably shouldn't be able to punch down a door. At least not without a power fist. :D