Ameena's hidden OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: OOC thread

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, that was also a possibility, of course... if anyone escaped and didn't have second thoughts, then yup, they'd be rolling a new character :D

I sometimes do the same if I know my current character is in a predicament, it helps keep true to the character instead of trying to metagame the character'#s survival

Obviously, one of the ideas of the VI Altar is going to be that the dead character would have to want to come back - something interesting to consider in Ameena's case, would she want to come back? She alreayd expressed something to the contrary consciously earlier...

And lol, not want to be a DM, yet have lots of evil ideas...I see....
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh, like I said, I wouldn't want to be the person in charge, but, you know, to be a kind of assistant "in charge" person is perfectly acceptable ;). Secondary DM, who comes up with loads of ideas and plays a secondary NPC or something whilst being in on all the behind-the-scenes plotting and stuff, woot ;).
Hmm as to the "not wanting to come back from the dead" thing...I think it was because murafu basically accept what happens to them, don't they? Like when they die, that's it, it's their "time", or whatever, so why undo something that's naturally happened? Plus I'm not sure Ameena would want to have all this horrible stuff happen to her which finally manages (in whatever way) to kill her, then basically be dragged back into existence to face it all over again ;).
Still, maybe the spirits (aka souls) of people who die in this particular dungeon get "stuck" wandering around (I don't mean as "ghosts" or anything else necessarily detectable by anyone except for, presumably, ol' Grey himself), unable to actually get off to whatever afterlife it is they believe they have waiting for them, because the dungeon maybe serves as a kind of magical "bubble", trapping all that kind of stuff inside it (hence the fact that the dead can be rezzed at all - because their spirits are still in the area and are thus retrievable in order for the magic to stuff them back inside their newly-healed bodies). So if Ameena died, her spirit (unknowing or not, I suppose that may depend on a few things) would be stuck just sort of floating around, probably both undetectable and unaware, until either someone found her body and dumped it on an Altar, or the magic of the dungeon itself was "broken" and her spirit was then free to bugger off to wherever the murafu believe their spirits go when they die (or whatever does happen to spirits in this particular world - the murafu belief on things is just the belief set that I use in my own Fantasy worlds because ilike the whole Self thing, the very basic aspects of which I yoinked from Might and Magic VI many years ago ;)).
Look, see, you've made me make yet another uber-long post and I can't even remember what I started talking about, lol. Oh yeah, death and rerolling and stuff. Well, umm yeah, I think I've said about all for now, lol. I'll go and see whether you've made me any new IC posts...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I usually wouldn't spoil it unless it was about to happen, but being on your own it's more likely, so I will explicitly state it.

Yes, the choices the players has are, depending upon the current conditions, to either walk around as a spirit until their body is ressurected, or to sit the game out until they are brought back.

More importantly, the idea would be they have to decide if their character would actually come back (ie would they want to keep playing with their charatcer, and if so, would that character actually ocme back)

So yeah, lots of fun ways to keep the game going if someone 'dies', and an interesting mis-direct if a player dies and decides to keep their character dead. All the effort of going back to a VI altar, only to find the character doens't res....

Anyway, that's what almost happened to Falkor. He started become aare of his surroundings as a spirit when he was close to death, but luckily got pulled bakc before he died.

Which is a shame, as there was something interesting to see...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol. I don't remember any specific IC post suggesting Falkor was seeing anything weird (presumably that was when he got run through by Arbrut, though I seem to recall he was downed again at some point not too long afterwards as well), but presumably such info would have come as a PM so none of us would have seen it anyway.
I suppose the chances of getting a Rez if Ameena dies are minimal, unless Helm survives and manages to put off panicking for long enough to get her back to the Altar. She'd come back for him, at least - so he wouldn't be alone. If Helm died, it's unlikely Ameena would actually remember the existence of Vi Altars, and even if she did I don't imagine she'd be able to lug a dead human all the way back to it. I suppose if he'd been disintegrated to the point that only bones remained (á la DM), she could do the ratty thing of running to and fro, taking one bone at a time back to the Altar and hoping that nothing came along and destroyed/stole the rest of the bones in the meantime. But anyway, if Helm died, she'd probably be more likely to lose it completely not too long afterwards, even if she did keep it together long enough to find the exit.
Anyway...one last check to see if any IC posts have popped up, then I'm going to bed! Good job I don't have work tomorrow ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, exactly, I was PMing money...there's a few times I ive people story beats in PM. I think I've done it to you too. Sorry, jsut realised that was how the first 'through the teleporter' was handled, or something similar.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, helps avoid the risk of meta-gaming if only one person knows what's going on with their character - I'd like to keep stuff like that as secret as possible so the reaction from everyone else is more "real" and with no risk of "pollution" from the players already knowing from an OOC post what's happening/going to happen ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The trouble is, you do that at this pace, and you later have no idea if it was general knowledge or not. And also, that then forces all these 'we rest and move on and share' bits then HAVE to have every single thing explained in great detail,. which ruins the pace, and means things can get missed by the player that their character should have shared.

I'll take metagame knowlege and risk the occasional blip so it doens't make the players and my jobs harder a few months down the line.

I'll keep things in PM if it's character related and not necessary for everyone's actions.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh, one trouble of having stuff online I suppose - it's drawn out over a longer time so you have more time in which to forget who knows what ;).
I wonder what a game of DnD in chat would be like - sort of a cross between a forum game and actual tabletop...woooo...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, so as not to clutter up the IC thread...

As you have guessed, it's the DM 'spider', though really now is the time to actually look properly at this most misunderstood of critters:

anyway, obviously this is for your benefit getting a feel mechanics wise so I can actually update easier, Ameena will have no idea of much of this.

Anyway, note how the thing actually only has two legs....the four legs get conjoined in two sets! So that's why Ameena only had a set of legs around her, and yet why she could usually feel four.

Also, note that it has a pair of hands - let's say about human sized or smaller claws, but of course thinner so in the dark they could feel smaller if just gripping her with the claw-tips.

Anyway, the smaller ones don't have those really developed, so Ameena wouldn't have felt an additional set of hands.

Pay no attention to the protruding injector - like thingie. That's...nothing. The Oitu just has a bite. That's all. *nods*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, I forgot to say, even if I thought Ameena should have the skill of expertly determining precise amounts of footsteps, you tell me - two legs or four, fiven the size of those toe-claw thingies :D

Yeah, forum chat would be fast, but of course think how hard it is to keep up with normal chat when you aren't thinking about anything else... be scary to have to look up a rule or work out something, and find a wall of text appears :D Suppose would need some form of rule on limits to speaking in certain circumstances
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh, I had pictured the four legs but having not seen one for aaaages, hadn't thought about (or possibly ever noticed, since normally I take half a look and then run away to shoot at the buggers or whatever ;)) the fact that they actually join together at the bottom like that. I suppose the number of steps they'd make would depend on how exactly they walk - whether they bring down both "toes" (ie both green things at the end of one set of legs) at the same time, or whether each one hits the ground separately.
Oh, and I think the "protruding injector - like...thingy" would be called a probiscus ;).
As for trying a game in chat...yeah, that's probably true about the potential "wall of text" thing (especially if I'm playing :twisted:). I suppose you'd have to have a separate font/font style (eg bold, italic)/chat room for OOC chat, and maybe you could just announce if you were looking something up so the game was temporarily "paused", so people would know not to post anything more in the IC area till you were ready. Stuff like dialogue and actions (differentiated by maybe putting dialogue in speech marks or actions in asterisks or whatever) would be in the IC area. I think having two "rooms" like that would work better than trying to put all IC and OOC chat in the same one - queries and stuff could be made OOC like if you were asking about a rule or needed clarfication on something or whatever. Usually, in tabletop, when we enter an area or we meet someone new or whatever, I then ask the GM a load of more specific questions regarding what the room or person looks like, where stuff is in relation to other stuff, etc - that kind of stuff would all come in OOC as well because it wouldn't be my character asking. The IC channel would just be for character dialogue and actions, and GM descriptions of what was happening.
Thus is my idea, anyway ;). Not that we're running this thing in chat anyway so I suppose it doens't matter but meh ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

For your reference, here's the map from the previous time to let you remember what your surroundings we like. You are currently in the top right corner of the bottom most room.

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, and because of your tabletop RP sessions, I guess it's best to remind you - each square is 10 foot wide, not 5 foot (like a normal gameboard) and more importantly, the fact your figure in a tabletop would fit neatly into a 5 foot square is also a little oversized compared to the reality. Ameena and Helm could be standing in a five foot square and not know where each other were, for example! Though Ameena would smell him, you'd probably hear each other, and if you both started waving appendages and whiskers around in that square and didn't move out of it, you might make contact.

So yeah, each room is actually lareg - which makes it a little echo-y too :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe speaking of tabletop, tonight is Farscape once again, but next week we are moving on to Doctor Who :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooooooh
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol was that a sarcastic "Ooooooh", an excited "Ooooooh", a pained "Ooooooh", or some other kind of "Ooooooh" that I haven't listed? ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Excited :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey, did cute ratties make you forget to roll your cool dice? :D

Sorry, stayed at work late to move some stuff about, and the combat map for the main bit takes some time to set up, or else I might have pushed ahead anyway. If you can make a roll before work, I'll try to have something cool for you when you get back after gaming tomorrow :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm? No, I didn't forget to roll anything, I just must have logged off before you made that post, or at least, didn't refresh the forum between the time that I made my last post and the time I went to work this morning. A Diplomacy roll for Helm, you say? Alrighty then...I think I need to put some more points into this thing, and put up my Cha a bit so it's at least not giving me a negative. Heh, it's always the way - never know how the RPG's gonna go when I start, so end up putting pints into the wrong skills to begin with, lol.
Anyway, yes, right, that roll you wanted...meh, 12 (8+4).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think the phrase "Maybe if you go and do that, I'll heal this one while you do" is the thing Helm objected to. Wait, I control him. That's totally what he objected to, to metagame for a moment. Ameena wanted him to go into the other room, miles from the way out, while Ameena gets the little critter ready to bite and suffocate him again! At least, in his mind.

You're the one that stresses how ickle Ameena is, so I made sure to factor that into Helm's thought process too. I dont think he trusts Ameena can keep it under control if its aggressive. Well, I know he doesn't :)

Remember, he was on edge already - your last dip roll was like 12 to his 20, and more importantly he was against the plan and Ameena's guilted him about how the creatures were people too, since Ameena lined up herself as being considered the same by Drommal. Plus, let's face it, I like setting you guys (the players) with a new twist to the challenge when you succeed. Remember Westian being so good at dipomacy that the Trolin spontaneuously ceased to be because it wasn't angry anymore? Taht was fun times.

Anyway, no point in doing something good and noble if it wasn't an effort, and more importantly if it was something anyone else would do in the same situation. You guys need to be heros for a reason. :D

But yeah, hopefully this whole bit is coming to an end, and you guys can move on - maybe the firendship took a hit, but hopefully the Oitus are happy. Or well fed. We'll have to see, won't we :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, well, yes we will ;)/ It looks like you've simul-posted this with the IC post I just made, which has some OOC waffle in it as well. I think the "friendship taking a hit" is something that should be rectified ASAP from Ameena's point of view if she wants to retain her sanity and not just end up freaking out and panicking and stuff ;). I think the two of them had better have a conversation around the subject of this thing called "trust". That is, if Helm doesn't get them eaten by constantly talking and asking silly questions in a language the critters don't seem to like while Ameena's attempting to be the diplomatic one and communicate with them on their own level, as it were.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hye, you are lucky I'm a nice DM. Nastier ones would have always had the critter jump Ameena when it's healthy and prove Helm right. I'll just do that sometimes.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, two hours cleaning a keyboard for nothing and trying to do all the main game stuff on this laptop seem to have robbed me of my time - hope you can forgive me not updating tonight! :( Will try to do it tomorrow morning, or more likely lunchtime.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Is okay...saves me having to write out a lengthy reply when I want to go to bed now ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena wrote: I'll roll once we actually get to that part
You're at that part! Gimme rolls! No point in holding off on rolling for the sake of it!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I figured the rolls would be needed more when i actually did the actions - Ameena hasn't started squeaking at the guards yet so I figured I didn't need to roll Bluff yet, and she's not sneaking anywhere so I didn't roll for that either. I was gonna wait till Helm pushed the switch and then see what happened immediately after that, and roll during my reply.
Still, if you want rolls now...

Bluff = 16 (15+1), phew :)
Stealth = 28 (16+12)...I presume Ameena doesn't count as "Hiding" unless I say she is, even though she's sitting still right now.
Perception = 28 (natural 20+8), woohoo :D

The Bluff roll was the one I was worried about, but hopefully that one's not too shabby, and the guards are thick or something. I suppose they won't be expecting a murafu anyway. Well, actually if Brohur is there he at least knows she exists. The other guard(s) might not have been there when the group met them originally...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ugh, combats kill my ability to do much else of an evening! So many things to check, roll for, and also got to tweak the picture!

Anyway, so yeah, you'll just be killed if you get into a fight that co-incides with the others :D

Anyway, just incase you aren't looking at the main OOC (which you usually do), I'll say it here too - last update will probably be tomorrow evening, withthe next update not until Tuesday evening. If I can sneak in a couple of text based updates for your actions I will, but a combination of things will make it much trickier.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to ask how your gaming group is going?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't worry - I have been regularly checking both the IC and OOC threads for the rest of the group, so I'm up to date with what's going on with the more-and-more-uber big undead combo-monster thingy and all that ;).
Hopefully I won't end up getting into a fight, if Ameena can talk her way out of this. Of course, Helm will probably say the wrong thing and dig them both deeper, something he seems to have a bit of a knack for doing ;).
As for the gaming club I go to, yeah it's going good :D. We're starting something else next Monday I think. Thursdays is still Dark Heresy. Nothing much of note has happened since I accidentally nuked my inventory a few weeks back ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, all the guys are going to hit level 5 just now for beating the golem hall.

Ameena will hit level five once she gets passed this particular enounter successfully... I think you'll spot the event that will boost her level, if she survives and gets to it :D I do not just mean the soldiers right now, but the whole 'getting to the entrance' and what that might entail, or what follows that.

At worst, you can guess Ameena might very well escape, and then have to decide if she leaves (in which case, game over, well done, roll a new character) or if she has a change or heart once she can smell the fresh air, and decides to heroically find another way back in again...or something. Anyway, at some point like that, Ameena will level up!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool :). I'll make an IC reponse after I've posted here. Ameena will have no reason to remain in the dungeon as long as Helm gets out as well. Unless he dies, in which case she may temporarily stop caring what happens to her, depending on how he dies and whether or not she sees it. But hopefully he won't. She said she'd look for him if they got split up, and she'll stick to that, since murafu don't lie (as has been mentioned before :)). I like the murafu in general, but if Ameena gets out, I don't mind rerolling - I have an idea for a character, though once again I'd want to make a new race (though I have ideas on that too, maybe we can put somehting together if it comes to it). Said character could just come in at level five so as not to be underpowered, and could find out about the dungeon through meeting Ameena (and Helm I suppose, if he's still about) shortly after she escapes - Ameena wouldn't mind sharing such info with a stranger, I imagine. And then my new character could pop up somewhere and surprise the rest of the group by appearing like Aurek did in your posts (I'd write my replies and post them here or PM them to you, and then you could incorporate them into your own responses in the main thread), and probably put everyone on guard by knowing their names and stuff :twisted:.
See, you can tell I've thought about this, can't you? ;) The Murafu are a race I hope I'll be using again here and there, but they've turned out to be a little bit too pacifistic for the combat that invariably comes in these kinds of games ;). My new character would be another Rogue, but one who's a bit less fussed about sticking someone if they no longer prove to be useful :twisted:
But anyway, yes, Ameena's still here for now. Unless a very good reason to stay suddenly comes along, she's very much in favour of Getting Out As Soon As Possible ;).