Check In When You Feel Like It

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Check In When You Feel Like It

Post by MasterWuuf »

I just thought a thread to 'check in' from time to time, might fit this section.

The weather has calmed a bit here in Louisiana. I was almost uncomfortable with a jacket on at my night job.
I just go off (3:30 a.m. Central Standard Time...U.S.A.).

I was pleased to hear the news ZYX gave us, concerning a coming child in the near future.
All the best to your family.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Trego
Artisan

Re: Check In When You Feel Like It

Post by Trego »

...Like the weather channel for DM users.

Hot hot hot, its almost always uncomfortable here (outside), another sunny 29 degrees Celsius day (84F), hoping to get down to 25 tonight.

Didn't here about the baby...Congratulations...33 and a child on the way. That's the 3rd DM baby announcement that I've heard of. May have to start a thread about babies.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Rain! Sweet, sweet glorious rain now I'm back in Basingstoke. I love snow, don't get me wrong, but I don't like the icy unwalkable rubbish left behind that no-one grits the pavements against. Was painful the last few days in Basingstoke, just as bad in Aberdeen, and I was grinning coming back to rain tonight.

I can actually walk to the shops! Walk normally!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:Rain! Sweet, sweet glorious rain now I'm back in Basingstoke. I love snow, don't get me wrong, but I don't like the icy unwalkable rubbish left behind that no-one grits the pavements against. Was painful the last few days in Basingstoke, just as bad in Aberdeen, and I was grinning coming back to rain tonight.

I can actually walk to the shops! Walk normally!
Basingstoke? Cool name. I need to find some good maps, just to look up some of the places everyone lives.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I have an aunt who lives in Basingstoke, so I've been there a few times to visit. Where I live is about an hour-and-a-half drive away. As for the weather, it's been raining here (stupid crappy rubbish snow all gone now, typical...if it had come exactly a week later we'd've had a white Christmas :P), just sort of drizzling mostly, today. It's pretty cold out but that's about it. Yay for the crappy weather. If it snows again, at least can't it snow properly so I can get more than one measly day off work, muahahahaha :twisted:.
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Haha, nice idea beowuuf. Is it your oblong house with brown roof and your blue car that are standing outside? :) Or it just a search on the town?

http://maps.google.se/maps?hl=sv&source ... CAsQ8gEwAA

As you can see on the satelite picture here it's summer, it's way too bright to be in the winter in the picture :(
The picture must have been taken a long time ago, because I can still see my neighboor (my enemy) squarelike donutwagon on the left side off the building.. grrr
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's just ocnsiodered the 'centre' i think, though funnily I've lived near the centre of the towns I've lived in, one year in Aberdeen and 6 months in basingstoke aside :D
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

It looks like a big town, how many people lives there? In Malmoe where I live I concider a population above 200 000 as very big..
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

200,000? Big? Hmmm. I live in what is considered a 'cove' that runs along a short county/parish highway.
Three miles to the south of us, there is a city of about 25,000 or so.

The 'cove' houses about 200 people or so. Yeah, it's metropolitan in nature, but I've learned to drive in it. :D 8) :twisted:

Visited a Cajun Restaurant this last evening for supper. I took my youngest son, Jesse, with me.
He ordered shrimp/crab gumbo. I ordered Crawfish Etouffee.

Extra rice to go with it.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Basingstoke seems to be around the 100,000 and Aberdeen is in the 200,000 area.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Baton Rouge, Louisiana is approximately 80 miles east of us. I believe it has 120,000 population.
(Enough to limit my desire to visit there 'just to drive around town' to be sure. :roll: )
"Wuuf's big brother"
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

North Vancouver, population 45,165

However I think some of those might be bears :P my area you can see a lot of trees, and with those trees we have cayotes, racoons, skunks, rabbits, squirrels, deer, cougars, and bears. Every once in a while you hear a blood curdling scream of a cat which has just been taken by a cayote who come into the area looking for peoples pets because they are easy to catch. The usually stop and crouch because all a human usually does is pick them up, yell and then drop them again.. the cayote however doesn't do that... it eats them. I'm one of the smart ones.. my cat doesn't go outside unless on leash. The other morons leave theirs outside all night.. and then are running around later wondering where their cat is. If not the cayote, could be the cougar.. or the owls or eagles that wander off with their little pooky. :P point is, it's dangerous for pets here

All the garbages here are animal proof and seem to prevent some humans from getting into them too :P they have to create a slot you stick your hand in so you can get to the lever.. the lid is also thick metal so it's a little heavy so that the racoons that can get their grubby paws in there can't lift the lid. All the animals have become quite adept and scrounging trash. I saw a bear open the neighbours trash bin, drag it with him up on to the hood of his car to sit and go through it.. rather comical. My dad also used to work as bylaws officer for North Van and was asked to investigate an illegal garbage dump.. apparently the bear got the same call and was there first. He chased my dad back to his car the moment they saw each other. 0_0 Never argue with a bear.

There are a lot of benefits to living here.. don't let my animal stories scare you. They don't run out of the woods and eat you. Maybe your cat.. but not you. and not when you are with your cat. Most animals have learned to be afraid of humans for good reason. We have the police come out if they become a problem. We have a two strikes rather than three, rule. The animal is relocated and tagged on the first strike. If it returns it's killed. That being cougars and bears, who will potentialy attack a human. Everything else is more likely to run away. The number of times I've seen a bear here while living here for the past 4 years? *5* So not super frequent. Number of cougars *0* though there was one in the area earlier this year.. I never saw him. Cayotes.. you never see them.. they won't go near humans.. Raccoons, plenty of those.. they waddle around all over, Skunks too.. and squirrels will come up to you if you have food sometimes. Plenty of eagles and the occassional owl.. few woodpeckers out in the back forrest.

oh, and as for snow... we've still had none... we had a bunch of hail for about 5 seconds.. but turned back to rain shortly after. Oh..and soon everything here will be blocked for the winter olympics :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Bah, for wildlife all we get here, other than the usual small birds (pigeons, blackbirds, thrushes, magpies, starlings, that kind of thing), is the very occasional fox. Well, I mean, that's how often I see them - they're probably around a lot more than that ;). We did used to get hedgehogs round here too, but I've not seen one for years. Oh, and there's squirrels too - I suppose they're all hibernating right now but a few months ago they were definitely about. Apart from that it's just various local kitties wandering around, really. And htye don't get eaten.
Incidentally, I've never seen "coyote" spelt like that (meaning your way, "cayote") - is that a Canadian thing or a local thing for you, or just a general alternate spelling that I've never come across before?
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

According to Urban Dictionary (urbandictionary.com), cayote is "a young guy that is attracted to and dates older women." :wink:

Erm, talking about English issues - may I have a stupid question? I've always thought that "cache" is pronunciated with the same "e" as in "cat". But one of my friends surprised me with a statement that it is pronunciated with "a" as in "lush" or something. I didn't believe him. I've looked into Cambridge Dictionary (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD) and it supported my opinion. But then I looked into Oxford dictionary (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/cache?view=uk) and I was surprised because there's written "/kash/." So - erm - could anybody help me, please? Sorry to bother you with my incompetence. Thanks. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Jan: I've always understood 'cache' to be pronounced like CASH, as in cold/hard cash.

Hmmm, have you...by ANY chance...checked the CONSERVADICTIONARY? :lol:

Cows: I considered moving to Spokane, Washington (USA) back in 1999. I ended up in Indiana.
I noticed Spokane isn't all that far from you.

Ameena: In southwest Louisiana (a southern state in USA), we have egrets all over the place.
They remind me of the Great Blue Heron, my favorite bird since fourth grade.

"Wuuf's big brother"
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

nope... just that it's pronounced like Kai which made think it was CA instead of CO which to me didn't give the hard "I" sound.. but more of a koy-ote instead of Kai-ote ... and upon spelling it in google.. it had a few links come up with cayote.. so I figured it was right... but it appears it's just others with the same mistaken spelling as myself.. :P

Either way.. skinny looking wolves :P look bit like a cross between a wolf and a german shepherd :P seen occasionally taking the train.. :P

http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/adv ... 06-004.jpg

moo
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

@MW: Thanks a lot. That's what I needed to know. I was right. So I will teach him a lesson! :)

@Cows: Wow! He looks pretty sleepy! I hope you didn't disturb him! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Aaaw, that is cute :D.
A certain coyote may also be seen repeatedly attempting (and failing) to catch a certain roadrunner...my favourite of all the WB chaarcters, I believe :D.
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

"Wuuf's big brother"
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

actually in the tiny toons movie he finally get's him by running him over with a truck.. people cheered in the theater :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wow, does he? Aaww, poor Roadrunner.
Anyone watch Farscape? The Season 3 episode "Revenging Angel" in particular - fantastic stuff for anyone who knows the Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That had me in stitched with Dargo and the acme stuff :)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Worked until 11:35 p.m. on New Years Day. Quiet. People must have been busy with family.
We did have a couple of younger ladies come into the truck stop area,
seeking some 'crack' and offering party favors in return.
No takers. They finally went on their way down the road. :roll:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Good theard. I think I will check this every time I visit.

It's a calm winter day here. Not very cold, Minus 17 degrees only.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, the Inn sticky thread is the general discussion thread! It just got quiet when people started using the chat instead!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Inn's for chit-chat, this is for weather I think.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If we're talking about the puupose of this thread I must admit I'm confused. We have plenty of general chat threads, we don't really need another one.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Duckman wrote:Good theard. I think I will check this every time I visit.

It's a calm winter day here. Not very cold, Minus 17 degrees only.
Calm and ONLY minus 17 degrees. That's not very cold? YIPES! I've thought it was cold here, where it hasn't dipped below freezing yet. :P

Confused bunch of forumers we seem to be.
(Not meant as a play on Gambit's comment. Always pleased to see any GAMBIT comments)
One likes the thread. One sees no use in it.
Me??? I was the 'confused forumer' who started the thing.

I just enjoy seeing people 'check in when they feel like it' so I can hear from my 'new family' of DM-meisters.
"Wuuf's big brother"
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I took it as a thread to comment on my environment a little.. since that was what everyone was doing up to that point.. the title lacks direction and indeed there are several general chitchat threads already.. so I think that this thread would do well to maintain that direction since it's unique from those. You know.. weather is part of that, info about surroundings, nearby animals. I think that would be worth while.