Wow

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wilko
Neophyte

Wow

Post by Wilko »

I think I am in shock, I am a huge DM and DM RTC fan and have played it to death over the years, I have stumbled apon this site and on the face of it it looks like there are new games/maps to play ??? Please tell me more and how I can get in straight away..

This is a very very happy day for me
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Wow

Post by Ameena »

Hehehe, first of all, welcome to the realms of insanity ;). Well, I suppose I mean Chaos. That too ;).
There are several DM clones that people have made - Return to Chaos (aka RTC), CSBWin, Dungeon Strikes Back (aka DSB), and umm, some others here and there. There are also zillions of custom dungeons people have made. Check out the "Custom Dungeons" section of the forum - there's a sticky-thread in there in which the top post is a list of all the current custom dungeons that are available, and which clone they're made for. Possibly the most notorious of these is Conflux, by Zyx, though there are plenty of other (slightly less brain-destroying ;)) dungeons there which have been played a lot. I think you can find reviews of them somewhere. At least, those that have been reviewed.
Any questions, ask ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There are lots of fan projects, RTC comes wiht an editor, and the original DM dungeon format was hacked many years ago.

go to the custom dungeon forum, check the first stickied link, and check out the variety of custom dungeons that have been made over the years under various engines. I'd recommend Conflux III and Tower of Chaos under the CSBwin clone engine, and Surgical Strike and Tower of Champions under the RTC engine.

Welcome to the forums!

Edit: Double post!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Muahaha, beat you ;twisted:.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums! Yes, there are tons of new dungeons to play - some are on par with the originals. Enjoy your stay here and play the hell out of DM! :D It's always great to see new people around here!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Hey Wilko, welcome to the forums! Yes, there`s a lot of crazy people here ;)
There`s a lot of custom dungeons created by people to play. On the main site there`s a description of some engines:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/

You can find all the infos about DM/CSB and related stuff on DM-devoted Encyclopedia site:
http://dmweb.free.fr/

If you want new DM-style games, check the Custom Dungeons thread:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=23916

Like others said, Conflux (CSBwin engine) is awesome, but I woldn`t recommend it for the start; it`s damn tough and large! You better try Tower of Chaos (CSBwin engine) or Surgicial Strike (RTC engine) for the start, as they`re old style dungeon and are entertaining. In most of the customs, monsters, spells etc. may vary from the original ones.

Surgicial Strike forum thread:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=24784

If you don`t want to search, there you go, direct ToC download:
http://dmweb.free.fr/files/TOC%203.2.rar
Just unpack it and double click the sword icon.
Last edited by Adamo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Welcome to the forums, Wilko! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
markaval
Neophyte

Post by markaval »

Just wanted to echo Wilko's sentiments - I first played DM over twenty years ago on the Amiga after being blown away by the game on a mate's Atari ST. In my opinion it still has not been bettered; me and my better half have played pretty much all the RPGs out there, ranging from the early SSI Gold Box titles, to other classics like Bards Tale, Ultima, Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age Origins...the list goes on and on. And yet as good (and even great) as some of these games were/are they didn't/haven't quite reached the pinnacle achieved by DM.

I was over the moon when I found George Gilbert's DM project page, and I have to say that if this was truly his first attempt at games programming then he's a talent! This PC version is amazing and runs without a glitch on my Windows 7 machine. The controls are lovely and it is exactly as I remember it. It has that lovely 'keep you on the edge of your seat' feel to it and the sound effects of monsters moving about the dungeons are simple yet very effective.

This game proves one thing - that game play is the most important criteria for a game, not fancy graphics. I LOVE the puzzles - you actually have to use your brain, rather than just click a pixel and the PC does the rest, which so many modern games so-called-puzzles are often reduced to. I'm amazed that so few games designers haven't at least tried to capture the challenge of the DM approach to puzzles, and even twenty years later, none have managed to achieve that amazing balance of puzzle solving and gaming that keeps people coming back for more, and more and more.

This game will still be alive and kicking long after the likes of Oblivion have disappeared. :mrgreen:

Thanks George for what was obviously a labour of love - you are a star!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello, Markaval, and welcome! You can use the "Tell us about yourself" thread to tell us about yourself! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums markaval! I agree with you that Dungeon Master has never been equalled. Check out the Custom Dungeons section here, some people have created new dungeons that are just as good as the original games!