Is it possible to... ?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Is it possible to... ?

Post by Adamo »

Since there`s no thread with such questions, I started one ;)

1. Suppose I want to create a special monster, that can walk through everything (like a ghost or smth..). Just like ghosts in DMjava. Since I don`t know the engine structure (the Lua files are mostly the black magic to me), I don`t know if it would be possible.
Oh, and the monster should be visible INSIDE the wall, even if attacking directly from a solid wall: you`re staying behind the closed, solid wall and you see the wall AND a monster (otherwise you wouldn`t know what attacked you). So:
- the monster can walk through everything,
- the monster can attack from inside the wall,
- the monster is visible being inside the wall.
Possible?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Is it possible to... ?

Post by Sophia »

Having a monster move through walls is actually something hardcoded in the engine that isn't allowed to happen. If by some strange circumstance you actually want this, I guess I could add a flag. It would take some hacks to the renderer to allow the monster to be seen through the wall, though-- and I wonder how well it would even work. It could look strange with the usual DM renderer because you're not supposed to see things in the walls like that, and I'm not sure if things wouldn't be drawn over the monster in a funny way or something along those lines.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

In original DM.. actually, you could have been attacked by a monster hidden in a wall. Theoretically. When a monster is staying on an open wall, and a wall is being accidentally "closed" by some reason, the monster is not "trapped" inside, because can still move back or attack (just like a party). But when you`re being attacked by a monster from inside the closed wall, I guess you don`t know the cause and direction of the attack. Moreover, you can hit a "closed" monster AND tap the wall.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

What I meant was, DSB (and DM, most likely) is hardcoded to not allow a monster to move into a space that has a wall. To allow this to happen, I'd have to make an engine hack, as it's just not possible right now. To explain your case, no checks are made about the start location so if you close a movable wall around a monster, that monster can move out of the apparently solid wall.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

If by some strange circumstance you actually want this, I guess I could add a flag
It could look strange with the usual DM renderer because you're not supposed to see things in the walls like that, and I'm not sure if things wouldn't be drawn over the monster in a funny way or something along those lines.
Monster would have priority over wall decs. But the wall certainly could be tapped, and the actuators could still be switched. I was thinking about something like DM ghost - it`s just a couple of green lines, so this may look good on a solid wall:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/781
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler