RAIXEL'S SUPER SECRET INTRODUCTION GAME

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Re: RAIXEL'S SUPER SECRET INTRODUCTION GAME

Post by raixel »

DAMMIT! I suspected something like this. I fell for the 'it's so obvious to use the sword against elementals, it's gotta be a trap' trap (anti-trap?). Then again, I'm not sure I really want to know what woulda happened if I touched the sword. Petal takes 30 hp void damage, water elementals form all around you, oh and the key zips up into the ceiling, perhaps? :wink:

Petal shouts "I KNEW IT!," as the sword sinks into the water. Perhaps its her imagination, but she swears she can hear a high-pitched manic chuckle echoing from somewhere nearby. She looks around wildly, heart hammering in her chest like a trapped bird, as the water starts roiling.
"I knew it, I knew it," she mutters angrily under her breath as she points her new wand at the forming elementals closest to the way out, whispers words of encouragement to the mana stored within the wand, and focuses her power on letting the calming energy flow over the elementals. Knowledge(?) Not sure which, they have the same bonuses. (1d20+8=10)
Without waiting to see if there is any effect, she flies straight at the elementals blocking the door and dives through the gap between them and the top of the portal, trusting in her tiny size and high agility to see her safely through. Tumble (StraightDEX) (1d20+4=8) CRAP! IC scorns me like a jilted lover!
I'm going to continue the post, so you have an idea of what i'm trying to accomplish. If she gets stonewalled by the elementals, I will edit it out later. BTW does she know DES EW?

Petal needs to get to that keyhole out in the corridor so that she can unlock the grating.
"If I can get out there," she thinks to herself "I wont be blocked in this stupid room. Then again, it could be worse out there. But thats a risk im going to have to take."
She racks her brain for any information about water elementals, as well as any spells that can harm them KnowledgeArc (1d20+4=19)

"Ive gotta make it out there and get that grate unlocked, then maybe I can force them into a choke point," she muses, while frantically dodging around.

So ya, I doubt that calm + tumble trick worked with those rolls. If for some reason it did, she's going to flee into the corridor, unlock the grating and take off thru it(hopefully not into a mass of Deth Knights or somethin). If she knows DES EW, she will turn and fight there. Hopefully I wont have to try and fight in this room... :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Woohoo, on the second page already! And to mark that occasion, I'll let you know the path not taken - in spoiler tags, incase you don't want to know.
Spoiler
If you had gone for the key, it would have indeed disappeared into the celing - and reappeared right in to the VI altar. You'd have gotten a vorpal blade, and the waters would have indeed risen up - then been cowed right back down by the flurry of fireballs that would have started danging around the area. So yeah, don't have the weapon, need to fight your way out. Do have the weapon, need to dodge your way out. The weapon would have been cool to grab, perhaps, for later. But hey - did you really want to try and get both to the altar and back again dodging fireballs the whole way? With the elementals still alert enough that you couldn't have got too low to the ground without getting hit? Maybe the grab and blast your way out is better....especially given the IC rolls... Like I said, damned if you do, damned if you don't, best to figure out the path wth the risk/reward you want!

Petal had only a moment to react. Suddenly the fireball that had been on her lips did not seem the best course of action. The waters all around were rising up, angry and grasping. Petal tried to use the wand, and she felt the edges of it wanting to work. However, the circumstances were simply too stressful to try and focus on a new magical item. Worse yet, the time had cost her an advantage, as the sentient elementals gained awareness of her position. She tried to fly as quickly as she could, but little fists of blue fluid struck her painfully as she tried to get away. You took 12 damage all told. Remember to remove the 5 non-lethal and add 6 hit ponts first, before removing this latest damage.

Petal emerged into the corridor successfully, if battered. Nothing instantly leapt out to attack her, but it was only a matter of time. The elementals in the room slowly began to slide out of the room, the whole mass of them. And there was no indication they were about to stop...

Petal's only security was knowing that they could not drown her, for they were not really made of water. Their material presence was more like ectoplasm by the tiem the water of the elemental planes had emerged here. Still, that meant while elements material spells such as fire and fireball might make them pause, only the void could truly hurt the elementals. However, because they were forcing their material selves through the planes, they were weak if they could not touch upon the kindred element of the material plane. These flowing horrors were not as powerful as they could be, trapped on a dungeon floor like this. Petal could not imagine they could travel very fast because of that.

Unfortunately, she too was trapped out of her element. With a door behind her, and a menacing grey wall and ceiling blocking her best routes to fly, there was not many places to go. The raging elementals rolled from the portal, closing off the corridor where she had been and advancing towards her. She was in a rapidly shrinking area of clear corridor, right beside the keyhole. One of the water elementals rose up swiftly, slapping Petal back painfully.

Ouch, another 3 hp damage. Actually, IC's being quite kind to you (maybe it wants you back), to make up for putting you in this world of hurt in the first place. At least one semi-decent roll would have let you away with the running a little better. Still, let's not focus on the past, let's focus on the present! Anything you do is likely to draw attacks here - spellcasting, scrambling with the key, or flying over the elementals back down the original corridor (they are still a pool of water on the fllor, so can be flown over, just you'll get attacked for it as you just did). You can try the wand again, and hope it works, or you can do one of the other thigns I just listed. I over-rolled my number of attacks here, so sadly I know if you can get away with or not get away with. So I will say no more. These elementals are smaller than normal DM elementals, so they are equivalent to a 5 foot square creature not a 10 foot squre creature. So they are rolling less attack/damage, but of course, you are drawing more attacks. So factor that in to the attack/move decision making! Remember you can call your dodge bonus against a side.

Hmm, have I stacked the deck too high this time? Only the next update will tell... Good luck!
raixel

Post by raixel »

CRAP. I can't take much more of this. I'm down to less than 1/2 hp. Lets see here...I take it she doesnt know DES EW

Petal frantically looks around. Those little blue fists hurt. You would think for a creature made of goo they wouldn't be that strong, but she feels like she'd been hit with tiny hammers. In desperation, she points the wand at the elementals again, attempting to trigger it long enough that she can get the key in the keyhole without being attacked. IC don't fail me now! (KnowRelig) (1d20+4=8) OH SHIT . She has a feeling that the wand's just not gonna work here, so she attempts to put the key in the keyhole and turn it, all the while desprately dodging elemental fists(since I dont have a map I say the elemental closest to the keyhole gets the dodge).
When the door opens, she's gonna fly through it and try and close it from the other side. Then unless she is immediately in combat, she's gonna burn as many spells as she can to heal, then rest to regain mana. If the door won't close, she's gonna flee through that area

EDIT: I just realized I forgot to add the charisma bonus to the KnowRelig up there, so its actually 1d20+8=12. Not sure if that's enough to pull my ass out of the fire (water?), but hey. It can't hurt. Is there any way I can cast dancing lights on the elementals to destract them, or maybe burn a 0 lv spell effect to get that roll higher? If there is DO IT. I'm gettin my hind handed to me over here
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I did mean to say, I don't know where that went. Yes, you know Des EW. I will get round to posting the full spell list, but in the meantime des ew acts as a fireball, without the force damage. So a straight 1d6 per spell level damage, the creature can make a reflexes check for half damage, it's an auto-hit otherwise wherever you plant it, and it has a radius so you can affect multiple creatures - usually not at low levels, but here, where the elementals are packed tight and overlapping, you can touch a diagnomal and burn the three surrounding you.

Since the relative speed of the elemental is obvious, I'll state it explicitly - they travel at 20 feet over land. So you can outfly them. However, this is still a more 'real' world than the DM game. You can't just plant yourself down and close your eyes to restore mana. You need five minutes to have passed relatively uninterrupted. If an encounter goes on for longer than five minutes (like a chaselike this) , you get to restore your charisma bonus number of spells per slot. Which is not too shabby, and almost has you at full strength. Oh, and like DM, water elementals will ignore doors, so there's no point looking for the hidden release on the other side and losing valuable running time!

Also so you know, the wand DC is set at only 15 to learn it (yeah, you've been really unlucky), and the plan has been each failure that still made DC10 gave you a +2 to the next try. A 0-level priest effect can usually give a +1 bonus to a skill check, so you could burn one to get a temporary break. Which it seems you desperately need! I am planning that the first time you figure out an item, the effect is usually 'free', but other times the effect then needs whatever rolls. In the wand's calm case, you'll need to roll a straight intimidate check. I'm afraid a low level wand only adds +1 to that intimidate check, but unlike normal intimidates it's viable to keep trying. Plus it can intimidate a closely packed group.

Petal drew upon the strength of the world around her, and tried desperately to remain calm, focusing the powers of the wand on the things around her. There was, finally, the spark of a connection, and the water around her reared up for a moment as if in horror.

Using that moment, Petal at least found this trouble was worth it - the key did fit the lock, and the very solid door rattled open with surprising speed (Good old dwarf counterweight macguffin).

The water elementals were temporarily frozen, the tide had been held back like an ancient tale. However, the movement from the portal said this state of affairs was not likely to continue for much longer, and Petal quickly moved to the other side. With a sinking heart Petal realised - like many of the doors here - they were designed for the puzzle, not for real use. The lock was only on one side as an opening mechanism, and on the other side there was no apparent means of opening or closing the door again. Tine seemed too precious to waste looking for one, especailly given the fact that a water elemental was probably more than cabaple of seeping through every crack and imperfection of a door anyway.

What she really needed was a steep drop, or a pit, or a open way up. Something that would let her be free of the slow moving mass of death!

It was then, at the most inappropriate time, that Petal heard the laughter again. Not imaginary this time, she could hear it in all its high pitched and raucous glory. "Haha! And so you once more see my power! Haha! Your death will be so sweet!" The small figure of Chaos was indistinct with the water elementals in the way, but it was no doubt he. At least Petal could not hear further voices nor scuffling. The mini-Chaos had, at least, had the decency to not invite an audience of faux-Petals to watch.

Petal looked to the new corridor revealed. It was hard to make out many details, but it seems the corridor carried on forwards, but had a branch that turned left.

Ok, so no AoOs drawn. Technically you are getting a free round, so it's up to you how far the movement goes down the corridor. Obviously if you don't go far (tell me exactly how far down the corridor you go), you could then plant a Des Ew at the visible elementals and see how much that affects everything. Or, you could just plough everything you have into movement. For the distance you will get, both the corridor and the branch will look the same, and you can start heading down one or the other if you double move. You could, of course, blow a standard action near the junction to try and listen for any differences. At sixty feet of movement, you will still atleast out distance the elementals even if they double move. Although they would know where you went :D
raixel

Post by raixel »

K, Since I dont have a map, im assuming the elementals are too far away to AoO so I'm gonna throw a DES EW at the elementals, then move my full fly speed down the corridor(60ft), taking the left branch. Once the elementals come within range again im gonna throw another ON DES EW at them.

Petal focuses her mind on the mana singing within her, within the earth. She reaches out to the feeling she had when she learned her father and brother were missing, the feeling her village had it layed in ruins. She focuses that desolation within her, preparing to channel it outward. Then she makes the symbol of ON in the air with her hands, and launches the void power through it, aiming sqaurely for the elementals. As the power leaves her body, she forces it into the shape she wants using the power of EW, so that it can target the beings she wants it to.

"ON DES EW", she screams as the mana is shaped into a spell through her will. She nods in satisfaction to see the iridescent energy travelling away from her, as the ON level spells are the height of her current power. She doesn't have the energy to hang around going toe-to-toe with these unnatural creatures, however, so she turns and flees down the corridor, hoping her spell will knock out at least a few of them. As she turns, she hears the high pitched snap of the void energy coming into contact with the creatures not fully of this plane DES EW damage (3d6=8) DAMN this is getting ridiculous. Seriously. 4 3 and 1???

Trusting in her instincts, she tears down the hallway aiming for the left corridor. She summons the desolation again, preparing to shape and release it at any elemental that gets close enough to hit.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry 'bout that, maps take time so I tend to try and sneak along without them :p The main game maps are easy shifts today, though because of your movements you won't need one just now. You will definitely need one for the next section, so I'll get that done ahead of time! Oh, and as I was runnign out of time this morning, I neglectived to mention - yes, you can Always try to add a subtle effect to a spell. Not dancing lights - that would need to be through your pixie power alone - but you could add a noise or a flare-like effect to any spell you cast, at the cost of a 0-level effect.

The power of the void explodes into the mass of the water. It is as if the water has become super0heated, for tendrils explode into droplets then 'puff' into nothingness. Unfortunately, it does not look like the power of the spell was sufficient to destroy the fragile bodies of the first flood of elementals. Still, it does give a moment's pause to the mass, and gives Petal the opportunity to rush awayrush away.

Petal flees down to the end of the corridor, looking back. "Haha, you cannot outrun death!" comes a faint mocking cry. Although for the moment that seems to be false, for the water is not a rushing surge. It is, instead, a slow but inevitable wash. Without a moment's pause, Petal disappears down the left hand corridor.

Even moving swiftly, Petal can spot the corridor has an odd scent as she rushes forward. Like...age. There is a musk to it, like a vaguely damp celler. A celler where something has been feeding. Petal's movements have brought her within sight of a stairwell leading downwards. It does not seem a nice stairwell, even taking into account the low standards already set. There is dirt and even a small finger bone on the stairwell. This does not bode well.

Technically that's a round and a half. Did you want to fire another DES EW at the oncoming elementals before you go down the left tunnel, or would you prefer to do a double move, to put more distance between Petal and the flood?

Ok, I guiss we need to address the sorcerer/spellcasting thing now. So, how did you want to try this? By the system I proposed, The ON level spells would actually be cast at UM level. Given the dice rolling, that's not much less damage this round, actually! Looking at your situation if you were a wizard, cleric, wizard/cleric or sorcerer, I think the 1-level and 2-level reductions still 'work' as a good wekness balanced by the sorcerer's strengths. There are cool things you can do and not do no matter the class, all equally vallid, and each paying a price. Even a pure wizard/cleric would be different ot the sorcerer at the moment, with less spell slots, less spell level available (so a sorcer could cast higher elemental, and lower alignment than a dual class). As I said, I'm happy that the 'less quality more quantity more flexibility added twisting' makes the corcerer interesting without overshadowing other combinations.

If you're not happy with this route, what alternative have you thought of? I recall some trading against opposite schools and elements, which seemed a little complex for quick use.

Anyway, I'd welcome your thoughts now so we can get a cool Sorcerer class for everyone to be jealous of before you get with the rest of the group. As you can see, right now against the flood the narrative use of your powers is a little more important than the power of them. That will change soon enough, (especially if your back is against the wall!) so it would be cool to hammer this out in the next few days to be trying out.

And, and I really loved your description of getting in touch with the void. Seems to summarise it perfectly! Also makes it narratively interesting about the flavour and cost of getting in touch with that element to her psyche!
raixel

Post by raixel »

PM sent about spells. I'm really not in favor of the elemental spell only thing (for reasons sent in the pm) I am in favor of having to burn a 0 lv spell (or 2) to get full power tho. Or somethin. That allows the versitality w/o the giant gimping, but without overpowering on the other end. It also forces the player to make a chioce about saving or burning the 0 lv spell effects (Is this fight bad enough that i'm gonna need them now? Will I need them later?) Or even have it be a different mechanic, an 'overdrive' if you will. Give it its own uses/day, that go up w/levels.

Hmm. Does the stair trick work? :wink:

Petal waits in the corridor, feeling the desolation mana singing through her, reminding her off all the loss in her life. It whispers to her, telling her it would be better to just lay down, give up, stop fighting. She shakes off the lethargy as she sees the elementals and releases the shaped mana at them.

"ON DES EW" she shouts again, her voice hoarse. DES EW damage (3d6=9) As she releases the spell into the mass of milling elementals, she turns and flees down the stairs, hoping that whatever lives down there is not home.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

PM sent back. And the only thing you will get from spinning on the stairs is dizzy! :D

Remember missile spells degrade quite quickly (sadly like DM) )- 1 spell level per 10 feet. The mass will be twenty feet away when you fire - if you want to burn two 0-level spell-like effects, you will get full effect while still having some distance between the two of you.

Again there was a hiss and puffs of smoke as the void energy struck the initial mass of the water elementals. The first wave looked weak and sluggish, and the tide - for the moment - seemed to halt as the front elementals hesitated to carry onwards. Petal took full advantage of the stoppage and rushed down the corridor for the stairwell.

The mustiness increased threefold as she literally flew down the stairwell. The steps seemed blackened by grim and muck. The chamber she was in seemed a fifty foot square, no more than fifteen foot high. A little better than the gramped corridors, but not by much. Even though there was still a light aroudn her, the grim up part of the walls - tinged green in placed - made the place feel oppressive. There was a word carved into the wall near the left hand side of the stairwell back up - it took a moment for the blackened writing to resolve themselves into words: 'The cistern'

In the centre of the room was an obscencely large grating, made from thick wood. It was about ten foot around, with narrow slits criss crossing it. The floor was recessed to hold it. An odd organic smell came from the slits. Who knew what was hidden in those depths? Petal had a few moments, perhaps, to look quickly aroudn the room, but at first glance the only exit appeared to be downwards throgu hthe grating - if it could even be broken or removed. It seemed an odd dead end, unless Lord Chaos truly thought it funny she should end up washed into the depths of Anaias.

Sorry, ran out of time tonight, and won't have time tomorrow morning. You shouldn't need a map to start with, it's just a big room with stairs in the middle of one wall. A less interesting place than the previous room...perhaps time for some contemplation..?
raixel

Post by raixel »

*sing-song* I knnoow wheeree IIII ammm. I assume Petal's not small enough to fit thru the grate.

As Petal flies down the stairs, elementals at her back, she holds back a sneeze at the musty smell. She stops when she enters the room, and examines(Percept) (1d20+4=8)GAAH! What is it with me and 8s? the grating closely. Unfortunately, she was never very mechanically minded, prefering to work on an intuitive level. She thinks to herself for a second.
"Hmm water elementals, drain...Hmmm" she muses. She remembers watching the human traders that ocasionally came thru her village soaping themselves while resting in a big tub of heated water.
In the base of the tub was a rubber plug, that when pulled revealed a hole for the water to drain out. She looks from the grate to the stairwell, a slow smile spreading on her face.
"It might work. It might just be crazy enough to work," she thinks to herself. " But first I better look for a way out in case it doesn't. So saying, she searches(Percept) (1d20+4=17) the room thoroughly for any buttons, levers, or hidden passages. After her search, she hovers above the grate, waiting for the elementals to come down.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, you think you know... Chaos's moods don't let things last in their original state for long :D But yes, you are roughly where you think you are. Ish.

Petal's quick check of the room reveals nothing immediately obvious. Infact, it almost looks as if this is a dead end room. However, in the far right hand corner of the room (with her back to the stairwell) Petal realises one of the walls doens't look as grubby as the rest. Not by any stretch of the imagination. And, in fact, there seems to be some odd dull sound coming from the wall. Faintly - voices? And the smell seems to be coming from the wall too. Away from the musty drain, the smell of something dead is quite strong.

Still, paranoia returns Petal to the the drain. It seems like an age that she looks to the stairwell. Perhaps the water is not going to come? However, just as it seems Petal is safe, the first glistening drops of moisture splash on the first visible step.
A little rivulet of mud streams down, a precursor to the flood that has built up the courage to finally come and finish her off.

The good news is, the flood delays so long (since you hurt it with spells, you nasty pixie) your recharging kicks in - so that would be four spells per slot, but obviously you don't have any slot that large anymore, so you just refresh all your spells. Also, you coulsd investigaste the most likely illusionary wall a little bit (or just run right through it) if you so desire.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ok, I'm really hoping here theres gonna be some way to get the elementals down the drain. Ive also altered Petals spells/day to reflect the new changes finally. Ok. A rough map. Im assuming the room looks like (not to scale, just a rough layout of where things are.)
_____W
| G |
|__s__|
Where s is the stairs, g is the grate and W is the odd wall.

Petal moves over to the opposite side of the grate from the stairwell, all the while watching the little rivulet pouring down the stairs closely. Ready action ON DES EW DES EW dam. (Add any 0 lv spell effects needed to keep it at ON) (3d6=13)when the elementals are at the base of the stairs. She summons the Void energy again and holds it within her.
As part of her meditations on the element needed to call up the mana, she dwells on desolation and the void. This element comes much easier than it used to. She remember her first experience with DES, the pain of loss and nothingness burning through her. She was a young pixie then, vibrant and full of life. The energy of DES was foreign to her, as she had never really experienced true loss. Sure, her pet rainbow chipmunk had died of old age, and her first puppy love left her for another. But that was nothing compared to the loss that she feels now. She smiles ruefully. Who would have thought that the horrible experienes she has had would help her to hold DES mana within her now? Once the elementals are in sight, she again forms the symbol of ON with her hands, and releases the desolation, forcing it to her will with EW.
"ON DES EW" she calls again. She feels a sense of energy fill her as the DES mana leaves her body. Colors that a few seconds ago seem muted by the power of desolation again return to their normal hue. She allows herself a grin of satisfaction as she hears the high pitched snap of a solid hit on immaterial flesh. Then she begins to prepare her next attack
if that hit didnt kill the elementals, her next attack will be to pull them into the grating. Hopefully they'll go down. Glub glub glub. If that doesnt work, she will cast another ON DES EW
raixel

Post by raixel »

I dont know why the stupid "map" wont come out correctly. It looks ok in the text box, but no matter what I do to edit it, it comes out like that in the preview. Anyway, the "wall" thats right next to G is supposed to be over by W, forming a square.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the board doesn't recognise multiple spacers nor tabs I'm afraid! I get what you mean though, and the map is correct

The is a boiling and an actual moan from somewhere as the spell one more connects with the initial flood. There is steam that disappears into nothing, and for a moment Petal could beleive she has destroyed the whole flood. UNfortunately, that joy lasts only a moment before the drips are back. The flood seems hesitant, unsurprisingly for actually losing the constituent parts of its front.

Three elementals gone to that great big pond in the sky. Or whereever it is they get blasted back to. Sadly, still more to come, though they will take a moment to come in. You'll need to use three effects for the 15 feet dustance to the stairs. You have say a round's hesitation to play with, if you want to cast any defenses or healing first. Will Petal stay just at the edge of the grating, or back off?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Is there any way she can tell how many elementals actually makes up the flood w/o doing a perception check? (or having it be a free/swift action? Also, i'm a bit confused about the 3 levels. You said " You'll need to use three effects for the 15 feet dustance to the stairs." but in an earlier post you said "Remember missile spells degrade quite quickly (sadly like DM) )- 1 spell level per 10 feet." so wouldnt that be 2? Great, no ansi maps on this board then i guess. Ugh, I just had a (z)Angband flashback. I playd Zangband for years (Chaos Mage wooo!) :P

Petal smirks as she sees the substance of the elemental boil off into nothingness with the solid hit of her DES EW spell. But that smirk turns to a groan when she sees the elementals reforming their relentless flood.
Petal calls out to the mana around her, summoning the power of Water to her will. She expects it to be harder to call in the bowels of this mountain, but for some reason in this room, the power of VI flows right into her. It feels old and stale, however. Then she draws the symbol of BRO in the air in front of her with her hands, where it flashes into a glowing rune before fading away. Lastly, she whispers a prayer to Titania, the fickle mistress of good Fae while drawing the symbol of NETA on her forehead with her pinky finger. The energy of the spell swirls around her before coalescing into the still-glowing rune on her forehead, which she surrounds with a square shape made by touching the index fingers of her hands to the opposite hand's thumb.
Yes, I actually sat there and figured out how to do all the power runes she can cast right now with my hands. It looks like im throwing gang signs tho. WOO! DM PLAYAZ REPRESENT, YO!
"UM VI BRO NETA" she whispers softly as the mana takes form and melts into her forehead, suffusing her body with a warm, pleasant feeling. She feels some of the bruises on her body fading away.
Not sure of the mechanics on this one, so i'll let you roll. I was thinking it should be a d6 instead of a d8, otherwise why would anyone go through the trouble of finding a flask. Or maybe cuz its caster only the heal party should be a d4-d6 and this a d8, but w/o the level bonus? Or its a d8 w/lvl full round action (which I totally understand, cuz it is a 3 rune spell) I trust your fairness on whatever you decide.
Petal grimaces as she again calls upon the energy of the Void to power another DES EW spell. It's an element she feels like she's gotten to know very well over the past 5 minutes. She holds the DES mana in readiness, trying to ignore the dulling of the world and the lethargy threatening to steal the newly-gained VIBRONETA energy from her body. She waits for the elementals to coalese again, then puts her hands horizontal, one on top of the other, with a small gap in between.
"ON DES EW" she shouts. 3d6=18(add any remaining 0lev spell effects to keep it at ON, or as high as i can get it) As she feels the mana leave her body, the song of the living energy around her becomes a little duller, less defined. She realizes that she can cast no more ON spells until her body is once again completely in tune with the world around her.
"I hope that this will be enough," she thinks to herself. "If it isn't, maybe I can get them down the drain"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

At the other side of the grating, with the elementals coming from the stairs, that means Petal is 25-30 feet away from them (ish) (since the room is 50 feet wide, and the grating is at the centre and @10 foot wide). So ON will be effective for the first 10 feet, then degrade. So really, she needs at least 15 feet added to the spell.

Not sure where you got the d8 from for VI BRO NETA, there's no roll with the self heal and even the normal healing potion is only d6. It is one of the listed spells (it's at the bottom). I think instead of '+1' I have in the description it needs to be '+spell level, so the spell actually restores 3 x spell level -2. That makes a LO = 1hp, UM = 4hp, ON = 7hp, EE = 10, etc. Still better than the wand, of course. Remember you can stack as a fullround action spells, so you could restore 7hp with a combined LO and UM.. LOL at the gang signs.

Petal can do the maths really - from the knowledge roll ages ago, each elemental is probaly aorund 5 foot. The room was... large...that they came from. Even if a fraction broke off bored at each 'puase (which they did)

Petal summons the void once again, and one of the front sides of the flood coming down the floor explodes into nothingness. Once more the flood pauses for a moment, however the mass has never truly lost sight of Petal, and so afetr a moment's pause continues its slow slide down the stairs.

The flood moves forwards, not spreading out as the front is moving fast to get directly to the pixie. For a moment the flood, glistening in the half light, move unerringly towards the pixe. The occasional half formed limb flicks out. Then, the flood begind to slow at the front, as they find it harder going. Every so slowly, the liquid of the elementals' heavy bodies are pulled throgu hthe grating. In a panic, one still manages to lash out before it falls, a painful blow to the side. (Lose 7 hit points I'm afraid). Not realising what is happening, the elementals behind are still flowing forwards. Like the slowest bath being drained, many of the elmentals separate and slide into the darkness. Petal guesses easily a dozen of the creatures must just have met their end. However, there still seems to be a mass between the stairwell and the door left - probably four distinct creatures. These moved forwards cautiously, as if testing the floor. Very slowly, they split apart aroudn the drain.

Hmm, you lucked the elementals' perception there. There was a slowly growing bonus for spotting what was going on, and only the front ones rolled high (not high enough) for quite a stint. Interesting... still a few of them left being cautious of course.

Map:
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ehh. the d8 came from dnds cure spells. I assumed the VI potion was a direct analog. I seem to remember someone in the main thread casting it as a d8. Prolly just me gettin synapses crossed from another dnd game i used to play where you had to cast healing spells on a consumable item to make em work Neway, If the pull spell can target the two elementals in front of the gate, coo. If not target the 3rd down
Petai focuses on one of the elementals directly in front of the grate. Even though she is exhausted, she summons her will. Getting in touch with the power of OH is easy, as air is around us all. Petal inhales deeply, while sounding the rune OH in her throat. To finish the spell, she arcs her arms out in fromt of her to mimic the explosive power of KATH, then makes a grasping and twisting motion with her hand for ROS. She then forms the UM symbol by touching the index finger of both hands to the opposing thumbs to form a square. She brings the square up to her mouth so her lips are centered in it.

"UM OH KATH ROS" she speaks, as she breathes out the breath she inhaled at the start of her spell. THe words resonate n the air with power, and a swirling eddy of wind is seen arcing out from her lips thru the square formed with her hands. The wind grabs at the elemental, and swirls around it, trying to tug it over the grate. Again, roll what you think is fair at this time for this spell/lvl. If it needs to be changed later, its alright.

Petal flies backward, so her back is against the wall 5 ft "step" She watches the "northmost" elemental's movements closely, preparing to dodge if it strikes at her
"I need to get out of here. My mana reserves are almost gone. Maybe if I can manage to get rid of these last elementals, but how?" she mutters to herself. She doesn't want to go through that wall without at least recharging so that she wont get caught with her pants down, so to speak. She then prepares to heal herself with UM VI BRO NETA again at the earliest opertunity

Sorry for not doin the descriptive text with the VIBRONETA but its 3 am, im tired and off to bed...Nite
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Haven't forgotten abotu you, just a lazy sunny day and went out last night. I understand Seattle was supposed to be brutal this weekend aswell :) I'm also enjoying the cheerleading aspect to Petal. Though obviously, you don't have ot animate every spell if it's 3am - you can handwave a few!

Petal tries to pull the bulk of one of the two elementals magically. The spell was powerful, but unfortunately the bulk of the elemental meant it did not get yanked far enough forward. The thing resisted, and then as the effects wore off, the elemental actually backed off a step, as if terrified to be soclose to oblivion. The elemental close to it perhaps sensed this too, and made a circumspect move backwards and to the side, as if to made a wide berth of the drain.

That left the two elementals that were alreayd on the side of the grate to make any serious move to capture or harm Petal. The one to the right of her felt odd, moving as if stalking her. The one to the left seemed far more energised - simply sliding forward folding in on itself again and again. There was still that resistance of it sliding over the ground it obviously hated, but it seemed eager to avenge its fellows dropped and dispelled. Petal might have thought her height from the might save her, but the thing was able to extend a small tendril of water to issue a rebuke.

Luckily, a 3 hit point blow. However, Petal will spot the elementals seem to have an extended threat range - 10 feet instead of the usual five. THis is funnily in line with DM, where an elemental could damage one of the back row guys :D

The sneakier elemental seemed to use this distraction to get into a closer position. Before Petal fully understood it, the elemental was under Petal, and a solid tendril was trying to actually wrap around her leg and pull at her, instead of inflicting a blow. Although Petal could sense that the probablity for the elemental to simply crush her was all too real.

Well, the elementals have been pulling straight natural 18 and 19 rolls for resists and attacks this round, including the secpmnd elemental's grapple touch attack. Luckily, the second elemental rolled pretty low for the grapple itself. Still an 8 to beat, and its counted as a medium creature so I think you get a -4 to the roll. The non-lethal damage will be 3 if you fail. Good luck! Incase you need it for your turn...oh wow. Well, if you need to escape it next turn, you will need to summon all your strength to beat the massive 3. So yeah, guess its grapple/attack bonus on land!

Anyway, Hmm, many options for the push/pull, but my prefered one was to have the spell kick off a rolled 'bull rush' with +spell level bonus aping the strength bonus (made as if medium creature), usual range (10 foot, then spell degrades each ten foot). Not sure about the randomness versus losing a slot, then again push/pull is pretty powerful. And the caster takes none of the usual risks. So for now its a roll rather than setting a DC for the target to resist. Any way it woudl go, the elemental just rolled too well to resist I'm afraid!

Petal's already done very well to kill four powerful elementals, and some nice luck to also have so many fall for the trick of the cistern. Petal, without aid, managing to cleaer the whole room? Might require a little bit too much luck now. After all, if I'm not having you curse at lack of resources, and wishing for some NPC or PC back-up, I'm not doing a good job of an introduction! :D Cool if you can figure out something clever to deal with the remaining ones, and if you can get that done you'll deserve a decent rest in this room to get back resources. However, you might find yourself better served getting free and running away now the field is clearer though... in which direction woudl be up to you! Petal's more than her spell slots and hit points, after all!

Edit: Hey, you know when you go to all the effort of updating a map, then never post it? Those are some fun times :(
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ya. Its been HOT here. Like I need to clean, but its 110degrees in my apt and i dont wanna hot. Sorry i missed a post earlier. I havent been spending much time indoors (air conditioning is not common here) and ive been trying to keep a friend whose outta towns garden alive...Suceeding bout as much as Petal is in this adventure :wink: LOL at the cheerleading. (Give us a VI, give us a BRO! And what does that spell? UM...VI BRO? YAY!)

Petal shivers as the cold watery ectoplasm of the elementla wraps around her leg.

"Umm...It's normally polite to ask before you touch a girl there," she snarls, while kicking at it and ineffectually trying to pull its tentacle off her. Grap resist (1d20 -4=-1 HOLY F'N SHIT YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME).

She thinks discretion is the better part of valor, and maybe it'd be time to flee. As soon as she gets this thing off her, that is.

Petal will continue to roll to beat the grapple. After that she's gonna flee. If the way to the stairs is unblocked, she will go up that way and down the untravelled corridor. If its blocked she wil go through the illusionary wall
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe you just need to redirect the water from the bay (which I never got to visit :( ) and flood the garden. The two might balance out.

The little tentacle managed to crush Petal's leg painfully (remember the 3 non-lethal damage) and the thing tries to pull Petal down. Luckily, the effort of trying to pull Petal closer is too much for one small tendril, and Petal's foot slips out of it.

Rolled your grapple resist to keep the game moving, and since you blew your 1 last time, then luckily you rolled a natural 15 againmst its natural 1 for your turn). Sorry for not postign the map before - there's a circuitous route goign round the bottom side of the room as pictured on the map that only draws a single AoO from the grappling elemental that gets you to the stairwell.Withdraw won't work because of their reach, sadly. I did roll a tumble check, but it was all low and stuff :( Luckily though, the actual AoO missed :)

Petal darts around the elemental trying to grab her again, running around the top of the room to use her greater manouverability against the slower elementals. She beats a hasty retreat up the stairwell, and even though she can hear at least the closest elemental starting to slush forwards to the stairs, she knows its sluggish movement (Especially on an incline) is no match for hers.

At the T-junction, Petal can swear she can see some water glistening in the distance back the way she came, but nothing seems to acknowledge her - no tiny laughter from Chaos, and no waiting Oitus.

Roll me a stealth check just for kicks though... there are elementals still close down the corridor, the ones that gave up earlier.

Petal darts down the new corridor, which is an altogether drier and dustier affair than previously. The corridor kinks to the left, and a quick mental map of the area makes Petal aware that she is probably flying over an area that is above where she just was. Is that significant?

The corridor ends soon enough after the turn, and Petal is forced to slow down. There is an obvious wider space the corridor is about to open up into. A large hall, cavern, or room. There is a carving at the end of the corridor, a set of words inscribed there.

Balarast the great worm.

There is an odd, eerie silence beyond. Everysooften, there is perhaps the faintest impression of a low voice, or a movement. Howver, nothing close, and nothing that couldn't be chalked up to nerves.

Obviously, perception rolls, etc can be done for more information, unless you want Petal to just stick her head in and look about. Also, while you have outstripped the elementals, at least one was still trying to chase you previously. And depending on the stealth check result, hwo knows if you will have alerted others.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Puget Sound and Elliot bay are salt water, hun. :) If you ever do come back, check out Alki Beach. Its kinda crowded alot tho. IMHO the best swimmin beach is madison park beach on lake washington(giant freshwater lake). The waters a lot warmer too. I jump in there every time theres a heat wave. :wink:

Stealth check! (1d20+4=21)
Petal stares at the carved words on the wall, "Balarast...the great worm?" she muses. "That doesnt sound promising. I need to heal and I need rest before I go any further." She feels exhaustion beating down upon her head. She is too nervous to just curl up and sleep, however.
"Hmm. I'm gonna look around, first. Otherwise I need to use this room to get back in touch with the Song." she thinks to herself.
She listens down the corridor for any sounds, as well as looking around the room for tracks of somehing large or anything out of place.perception (1d20+4=16) Unless there is something dangerous, she will proceed She looks around for any likely shadows small enough to hide a pixie,.hide (1d20+8=16) and creeps a little ways down the corridor toward the sign proclaiming that Balarast is, in fact, a great worm. As she moves, she cautiously looking in every direction as wel as behind her for the elementals or any other nasty creature. Once that is done, she scurries back to the first room, still remaining hidden. Unless there is any immediate danger, she burns all remaining spells on VIBRONETA, and then rests until she is at full mana
She looks around the room for a likely spot to rest for a little bit, and settles down in it, meditating on the song of mana to regain her strength.
"I need a flask.." she muses to herself as she rests
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There does not seem to be any sounds of the elementals from the old corridor startign a pursuit. If course, that does not mean the elementals from the cistern are not slowly making their way for her even now.

Petal looks into the start of the room, and realises it is, infact, a huge area. Her gentle light does not go far, although far enough to realise there seems to be a pit at the other side. Looking around, she then sees a strange sight.

Two figures, also with their own dull magical illumination are scurrying around. Despite the obvious fact one is gesturing widely to the other, Petal can hear nothing. Suddenly, the shape of them resolve into a meaningful pattern, and Petal is shocked.

The two figures seem dog-like, and immediately Petal thinks of the Bika that accompanied her into the mountain. Sure enough, she recognises the snout and eyes of her companion, Growlgra. In the half-light it was hard to tell details, but neither he nor his Bika companion seemed to be in good shape. There was a definite glistening if red on Growlgra's shoulder, and the other Bika seemed to be limping.

Even as Petal looked across, Gowlgra seemed to spot her. He waved to her, and then yelled somethign to the companion, who was looking backwards. Both waved in some odd slapping gesture, even going so far as to do the yapping of warning that Growlgra had occaisonally uttered when Petal had travelled with him.

Again, it was surreal, for there was no noise - none at all.

It was only as Petal caught somethign out of the corner of her eye that she relaised the truth - there seemed ot be some form of invisible block - liek glass, but apparently very thick or magical, due to the lack of sound.

Growlgra grew more animated, and then looked behind him. His companion also looked backwards, and jumped to one side, waving something in a furry hand.

All of a sudden, Growlgra disappeared from view. Petal could make out the edges of pits in her vision. And a flash of something yellow. What was going on???

Does this count as immediate danger? :p I'll post a map of the room - entering into it reveal more than the safety of the corridor, but for ease of your play, I'll actually post the whole map. The grey wall thingie is the carving, brown wall-thingies will turn out to be levers, and pits should be obvious (as should the blue lines being this 'glass' dividers.

Map:

Edit: Oh, Petal comes in from the top right if that's not clear. Petal will also realise that the false wall probably lead to at the very least an open area area below the closest pit just down from her.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Perhaps I should classify "if Petal is in immediate danger...":P. How long does it take to reagain mana? She's still gonna burn all remaining mana and rest. I'll write it into the text, and if something interrupts her, i'll edit it out later. I'm assuming because of her good fly speed (she can hover) pits aren't really a danger to her (unless of course something bodily pulls her down one)? The question is, can she fly up/down them? I'm going to hold back on some descriptive text until I know for sure. It always bothered me in CSB when you had her in the party and she fell down the pit ;). Also that the spider-being had a humanoid paper doll/item slots

Petal's eyes grow wide with statlement as she sees her long- lost companion frantically running around the room behind the glass, with an unknown Bika. She yells out to him, but just like his silence, she doesnt think he can hear her. She restrains the impulse to frantically truy and charge to his rescue as he disappears from view
"I will do no good to him about ready to fall over and with no mana. I must rest." she thinks. So saying, she follows her original plan of spending all her remaining mana on healing, and then meditating until she can hear the Song fully again. Woo! Correct me if i'm wrong, but Petal just got a WHOLE 7 HP back! :P

After her meditations are over, she streches and looks around the pit-room again. She sees and odd carving on the wall, and flies over to examine it more closely. Percept (1d20+4=9) She doesn't know very much about tsonework, but she looks for anything out of place or unusual about the carving. After doing that, she walks over to the pit and peers down it, looking and listening for any sign that Growlgra might be down there in a connected room. Percept (1d20+4=14)

"Growlgra, are you down there?" she calls down the pit.

She examines the sides of the pit closely.
"Hm.. I wonder if it would be possible to fly down there and back up?" she wonders. "Of course, whatever's down there might not want me to fly back up. But I can't just leave Growlgra and his companion. I have to help them."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In the midst of 'combat' like encounters, you regain in @ five minutes your charisma bonus per slot. Your charisma bonus is so high this basically resets your slots, in others that would only be @half recovered right now (wisdom and intelligence respectively for clerics and wizards). Outside of combat where the adreneline isn't flowing, @10 - 15 minutes restores full mana. I'll write assuming Petal will sit on the ground somewhere and rest while the Bika does its thing, and the elemental gets nearer. Obviously, she can burn off more newly acquired spells to regain more hp at the strat of the five minutes.

Petal will indeed, only get 7hp back from the remaining UM and three LO level spells. Sounds low, but that's still the difference between surviving an elemental hitting you, and dying, so that's cool. The wand would only give you 4hp even if you could use it (no 0-level slots left I don't think) so there you go. Obviously, Petal can burn off more newly restored spells.

Petal can, indeed, fly up and down pits. As you might guess, I've constructed the puzzle where in some respects this will mean Petal can 'cheat' and get the satisfaction of breaking the puzzle, yet in other respects she will still as hampered as anyone else trying to solve it!

The bika bangs silently on the wall for a few moments, gesturing again to the pit down from Petal, and to something behind her. There is only final smash again the divide, more like an angry punch, and the bika turns her back on Petal.

The creature seems to bounce from one area of the floor to the other, as if attempting something. However, there is a movement from one of the pits, and the bika goes flying into the air and hits one of the walls. The bika seems to fall down painfully, though still moves.

However, then a yellow shape appears from one of the pits. It is hard to resolve the shape, except that it is tubular. It seems to be spikey and armoured. It reminds Petal of the armoured worms that Chaos had created, except none were ever this large. With a swift downwards movements the other bika literally disappears as the worm swoops its 'head' down in the area the bika is still lying down on.

The worm rears up, bashing bakwards and forwards. It turns to face Petal's direction. The front of it seems to be nothing but a round set of jagged, uneven teeth, leaking gooey saliva. Around the mouth, at four even points around, are wicked looking jagged talons - like extended fangs, pointing in the wrong direction from its mouth. The worm once more whips left and right. On the side of its 'head' there seems to be a dark, speckled area, as if something has stabbed the worm a million times with a small spike. It is easy to imagine a foul stench and roaring voice to that creature. Indeed, the 'glass' infront of Petal actually vibrates. However, still a dead silence and no scent makes the scene seem unreal.

This unrealness is tested as the worm, turns to face Petal's direction once more. The creature suddenly lunges forwards. The invisible barrier shudderes, but holds despite the bulk just pushed into it. The worm breaths once or twice, creating a horrible slimy mist that partially obscures the view. It then rears back, and slowly funnels itself back down through a pit. There seems to be an awful lot of worm that is slowly threaded through one pit and back down another.

Sorry, I maybe didn't make it clear the carving at the corridor entrance was simply the writing. Do you still want to examine it?

The room stays quiet. The worm does not seem to reappear, at least not in the view of the room Petal so far has. The light Petal radiates gets one step dimmer...the edge of where the Bikas were ibarely illuminated, althoguh Petal's sight is still well adapted to seeing. Petal finally moves across to the pit close, daring to look into it.

Not much can be seen, the pit disappears into darkness. Petal is confident of being able to fly down it, but even if she could not, the pit is unlike others she has seen in this dungeon. The pit almost seems as if the ground had just fallen out - some form of root dangles from many places. It is unusual given none of the rock around here is probably real. Is it to please the worm? Or is it, one migh suspect, because Lord Chaos actually wants people to be able to climb up and down these pits?

Being close to the pit, Petal can spot that a second pit is close, but that, too, is separated from her by a glass pane. And also, beyond the pit, in the corner of the room close, temptingly close if the glass were not there, is a large wooden lever.

Petal cries down the pit, but there is silence. A little too much silence, and a little too much echo and deadening of her voice. One could suspect that underneath this room, there is not one wide area - that perhaps underneath is a warren of tunnels, or something similar. What there is down the pit, is a subtle scent of death and somethign else unpleasant. Faint, but there. And at one moment, Petal could swear she hears the faintest of roars.

Then just at the edge of hearing back on this level, Petal hears a watery sound. Lookign back down the tunnel, there is a glistening. At least one of the water elementals has, apparently, found her. However, it also does not seem like the creature is preparing to come any closer.

So there we go, that's you set up. Will Petal try and figure out this room, or try and do anything else? She's apparently not about to get attacked, and is currently at full mana. I really need to check this map again, there are so many places where the wheels can come off my logic. Anyway, if Petal will go down, then I'll post the bottom level just like I posted the current level.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Hey, can I switch out invis for petrify? I forgot the 3.5 invis is severly nerfed to the point of uselessness (my home campaign is 3.5 w/the best parts of 3 still in it, with a lot of house rules). And no, if the carving is just the words, I believe she already examined them.

Petal sighs when there is no answer from the pit. She wrinkles her nose at the effluvient smell coming up from it.
"Why is it dungeons can never smell good?" she sighs. She turns as a glistening light catches her eye and sees one of the elementals slopping its way towards her. It stops at the entrance to this room, as if it really doesnt want to enter.
"Hmm. It appear to be smarter than me," Petal mumbles ruefully. "Well, Ive got to go help Growlgra, and hangin around up here isn't gonna help."

And so saying, she carefully flies down the pit, alert for any signs of Growlgra or that gross giant worm.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I didn't think much had changed in 3.5 except a couple of skills were removed, and the overpowered spells and abilities were nerfed. Anyway, you can certainly switch, but invisibility in a DM game was always going to end when you got near (or in this case touched) an enemy and was always going to be more a cool utility spell. Certainly you can have petrify, but I removed invisibilty from pixies base spells, so invisibility seems a more natural spell to have. Petrify was inherited from Nexus again, and once again seems to need nerfed as it doesn't fit in the with the rest of the DM game philosophy. So don't expect an instant stone to flesh spell. Instead, expect to have to spend time going against a fortitude save. It's likely to be an immobilisation spell to most critters, and occasionally fatal to weak creatures. See what happened to Haynuus when Soorec tried the wand version on him to get a feel for it.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Invis was never meant to be a combat spell in 3.0. Thing is, it lasts 10min/lev (which IMHO is way overpowered). In 3.5 I believe it was reduced to 1rnd/lev which makes it all but useless until you are at lleast 5th lev or so. Because it is not a combat spell, (ie monsters can hear/sense you (w/perception checks), you cant attack, anything you pick up will be seen floating around ect) it doesnt make sense to have it at 6 secs/lvl, esp in a game where caster levels dont matter and you have to use a higher spell slot to cast it decently (and still only get like 12-18 secs). I really like the dm mechanics base of it, i just think the duration should be a little higher to make it actually have some use (like 5rnds/lev). Just my opinion. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, in 3.5 invisibility is 1 minute /level, but disappears if you attack. Greater invisibility allows for attacking too, but is limited to 1 round/level. The bonus is +40 on hide if you stay still (so basically impossible to find) and +20 if moving (so still in the realms of hard to spot). Anything you pick up becomes invisible if you can put it into your clothing/pouch, but does become visible otherwise. In DM, the invisibilty spell is actually that short lived - even a powerful version of it dies off very fast. And, it might be my imagination, but being close to a creature seems to let it attack you normally!

Anyway, as with all spellcasting, make the low end too powerful, and the high end is stupid. A single round's worth of uninterrupted movement isn't nothing. Or the 50% miss chance. Especially for Petal, who can move sixty feet. Several rounds worth is worthy of a higher level slot. If I make it 1 round/level then it will be total invisibility, allowing attacking too. That seems to actually tie in with DM usage.

I can keep in mind an alternative of 30 seconds (which I've realised is five rounds, so we agree numbers) but it would need to be removed if you attack or are touched. I have a feeling the extended version will end up being annoyingly powerful in odd ways, so I'd prefer you try the shorter version first to see how it works out. Assuming you don't want to swap to petrify as originally planned.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Sure, np. I was thinking more non-combat when I was thinking of its usage. Didnt realize it was closer to improved invis. Yay hashing out of spells! We should start a 'spell hashing out/questions thread' so t doesnt interrupt the story. BTW, I just wanted to let you know that I'm not needling at mechanics to interrupt the plot, or min-max. I'm just trying to help point out potential disbalance or other issues since spells are still a work in progress. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No problem, obviously I am juggling balancing spells and other aspects on the fly, hence why I'm more willing to set up somethign that 'feels' right and see how it plays. I'm aware some of it is arbitrary, as long as I can weed out things that are going to utterly not fun, and we can play with the rest. And hopefully for non-combats, burning all your spell slots to achieve a longer goal is a viable alternative. Yeah, good call on the discussion, might open a new thread and merge the non-story posts from here into it. Anyway, speaking about mind-melting maps and continuing the story....

Luckily, Petal saw the elemental was actually further than she thought - not quite blockign the entrance. Still, it was a silent guardian, perhaps looking for her to make one mistake.

As she decended the pit, the gloom took a moment to adjust to. More importantly, were the tangle of roots and root-like earth. It just felt wrong, and when her wings accidentally touched it, it caused a shiver.

Revealed underneath the room was a giant cavern. Only she cast any light there, and so there was only a small area properly revealed. Not far enough away for her liking, she saw the coils of some gigantic beast - the worm. It seeemed to see her light too, and there was an obvious movement forwards. Once more, a very dull 'thud' was heard, though this time the face was pressed right beside her. When the creature roared, she could hear a vibration in the invisible glass that held the thing at bay.

Petal noticed that, just to the opposite side of her, was another way out. The pit that had been behind glass above her was now, as might have been suspected, accessable to leave again.

Had Chaos planned this place for her? No, the roots seemed to suggest that someone was supposed to actually climb up and down the pits. Chaos's joke being that the worm most likely would force people to jump instead of climb, and then scramble with injuries to a safe new zone. All the while, solving Chaos's fiendish traps.

Would Petal's ability to fly allow her to beat Chaos and have the last laugh? The dull roar of the worm perhaps indicated that not as much as she would like.

Dun dun dun. Hmm, without the need to instantly rescue NPCs (what has happened to them? I dare say you'll find out soonish) then we can perhaps be a little bit slicker with this puzzle and room. I'll put up both the cavern and upper room in full, to let you (as a player) plot your course. Petal can indeed fly up and down, though fast movement sideways might occasionally be hampered in the cavern by all the trailing 'roots'. Oh, ansd the giant worm.

I've tried to ensure the puzzle makes sense when played straight, knowning Petal can circumvent parts in fun ways. Of course,I've been distracted so I might have messed up badly somewhere. I'll try to distract you with worm attacks or something if I spot a fatal flaw :D

ImageImage

Haven't quite worked out how to represent the worm yet. For now, it is in that central six squares just to the left of Petal's position, which is at the bottom right hand corner of the cavern!
raixel

Post by raixel »

6 squares? *gulp*.

Petal twitched her wings uncomfortably when she landed. This place felt...wrong. Being a creature of air, she already hated being in the mountain under the earth. The odd roots on the pit walls seemed to re-inforce the fact that she was way underground, trapped under miles of caves and stonework. She closed her eyes for a second and breathed deeply, sensing the mana currents around her.
Not sure how to word this, basically she is looking for a update of the song of mana she feels around her the same as the oitu pressure pad, esp in the "roots" and any magic, as well as just generally around her. kinda like a perception. If she can't do this, just switch it to a normal perception. Knowl(Arc) (1d20+4=24)KA-KOW! NAT 20! She looks around to get her bearings and jumps in the air 3 feet, nearly zooming right up out of the pit she just came down when she sees the giant worm lurking nearby. As it slams into the glass to try and get her, she jumps back, then realizes that there is something between it and her. She cautiously approaches the glass and looks the worm over. Percept (1d20+4=11).

After examining the worm, she looks around and sees the pit that she can now get to. She cautiously flies up it, ready to fly back down if there is anything lurking up there.
I'm gonna stop there for now so I can get a better description of the levers next update