Minecraft

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Roquen
Artisan

Minecraft

Post by Roquen »

Humm. Minecraft seems to be creating quite a stir. I'm always running across videos on youtube. Has anyone tried?

Offical site: http://www.minecraft.net

Some articles:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/minecraft
http://texyt.com/minecraft+persson+notc ... cess+00127
Sir Handsome
Novice

Re: Minecraft

Post by Sir Handsome »

first Ive heard of it, looks fun.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Looks good!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've heard of it on the EQC forum, and saw some vids of it at club on Monday - someone blew up a mountain with about 3000 units of TNT and had built a shield-wall to protect themselves but erm...hadn't done so well enough, lol. There was someone else who built a large Planet Earth (and then went inside it for a run-around), and someone who'd done the first level of the original Doom. Umm...there were a few other random ones...some people making a huge big flood by digging a long trench with a dam at one end and then breaking through it and watching the river flood through, and a few vids of people sitting in boats and riding up waterfalls. And some other weirdness I think :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It seems to be a game that is slowly building up a following, and sounds like videogame crack!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds pretty fun. Wish I had the time!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I guess I'm the only one on the planet who thinks this looks dull and un-fun. :P
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

No you're not. From looking at the videos, I don't get the (seemingly) widespread appeal. It looks like it could be fun for a short period of time or to a niche market. That's why I was curious if anyone here had given it a go.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I'm not that interested in playing it myself - it looks like something I'd get bored of rather quickly. I just thought I'd mention some of the cool/weird-looking stuff I've seen other people do with it ;).
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I'm bumping a thread that's over a year old in which I was the last poster only to completely contradict said post. I've checked out Minecraft properly myself now, and had a mess around in the demo, and liked it a lot so I've gone and got the actual game now (£13.95 isn't excessive, I don't think, so I didn't mind buying it)...erm...yeah, so last night I was up playing it till half past midnight and the night before that it was more like ten past one. Holy crap this game is addictive. Start playing, empty inventory, bash down trees with your bare hands as fast as you can to get some wood to make a crafting table so you can make basic tols to actually dig a hole and stuff. All this in aid of finding or making yourself some kind of shelter before night falls (a day lasts about ten minutes of real time) and all the scary monstres come out!
Someone from my gaming club runs a server so I've set up a little home on that - seveal people already have huge big fortress things with lava moats and everything* so I travelled away from there and set myself up in the side of a random hill I found just as night was falling. Now I need to find a spider so I can get one more piece of string so I can make a bow so I can use the arrows I've looted off skeletons (all the undead things burn up and die in sunlight) and shoot them at the mobs, mainly the Creepers - they are weird-looking green monsters that, if they see you, run up you you, make a short fizzing noise, and then explode, insta-killing you. So if I can kill one from a distance with arrows, all the better ;).
Does anyone else play/still play this game? Got any interesting stories to share? I only bought it properly the other day and only started playing ont he club server yesterday so I don't have some huge epic palace just yet. It's more of a cave with a ton of glass replacing most of the wall so I can see out properly and watch the skellies and zombies burn in the morning and know when it's safe to go outside :D.

*You can carry lava around in a bucket! How cool is that? :D
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I've avoided playing this one.... So send us a photo of when you've made something architecturally interesting!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol why have you avoided it, may I ask?
Today I decided I'd see if I could dig a really long tunnel all the way back to where I started, by the big funky fortress thingy that everyone else has built. So someone else was online and I got them to give me the co-ordinate thingys for where they where, and I wrote them down. then after a while of messing around and at first getting it wrong and going in exactly the opposite direction, I dug a tunnel, occasionally weaving to one side to have to go around a natural (and therefore monster-filled) cavern/area. And at one point I broke through about halfway up a huge chasm so had to make a bridge across it, covering it over as I did so any nearby skellies didn't pew me. After a while the numbers on the co-ordinate thingy were getting close so I started tunnelling upward...soon I hit dirt, and finally broke through the surface right in front of the big funky lava-fortress thingy! I was pretty damn chuffed at that :D.
Meanwhile my melon farm is doing well, as is my wheat now I've planted that as well. I need to get hold of some cows, pigs, and/or chickens now, and farm them too. There are sheep nearby but I can't seem to get them to go where I want them to :P. On the other hand, chickens should be quite easy if I can get some eggs off someone - an egg has a chance to hatch into a chicken if you chuck it on the ground. So I can farm them and have yummy eggs. And I can make cake!!!
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Hehe, I did play this alot too, but stopped a while ago.. The thing about this game is that the only limit is ones imagination, but since mine isn't that good I did check out some videos :P
First I built my house, with bricks (made from clay in the owen) and windows.. It did have two floors, my bed was on the second floor (So that I could avoid creepers). Then I created the fort that was big enough to hold my garden, waterfall and a little pond with a homemade chair in front (just so that I could sit admire my work) :)
I did create a statue too, one with lava pouring out of his mouth, REALLY COOL!!
One thing I got annoyed on was how easy it was to get lost when I wandered away to far. So I did build a big tower to the max height of the max, and let lava pour down from it, this way I could see it on very far distance and always find my way home..
But how did I get material for all this? By digging!! I digged all the way down to the bottom, created a railroad all the way down for fast transportation, and started mining iron, coal, gold and diamonds.. The most annoying thing here is that one could spend hours down there digging, just to get killed by one of those annoying creepers, and I must say that even if I am 29, I jump like a little girl when I hear that Pfff sound :P Just imagine, it is dark, no monsters for one hour, it is all about mining and then all of a sudden a green monster comes behind you and make a little sound and then BOOM!! One hour work all in vain (if one doesn't want to spend another hour trying to locate where one was killed, and avoid getting killed again because they never come alone)..
I did also create a portal to the neather (It is like a new world but in hell). The only thing is that I had an avarage survingrate on 5 minutes in there..
Hehe, I saw a video on youtube where one guy had created an island in the sky, this island had a big room inside it with alot of water streams. The purpose was that the monsters got generated inside this big room (because it is dark), and then fall into the water and go with the stream right out the waterfall and fall from the sky and crash into the ground = Alot of itemdrops :)
I did spend about 10 hours trying to copy this construction.. But when I was done I was very disapointed when nothing came out.. I guess I had to build it bigger and with more streaming water..
Anyway, after that I felt like I had done everything.. So I left the game.. But I guess it woun't take long before I am back playing it..
I can say that I really feelt like it was worth the money :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Ameena wrote:Lol why have you avoided it, may I ask?
My addictive personality - I cannot let anything go! Not even 80's computer games :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ameena wrote:covering it over as I did so any nearby skellies didn't pew me.
What is this new word, "pew"?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*pew pew pew*

Come on, you know what it means. It is a word.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, pew as in "pew, pew!" As in, shooting things ;). Skellies in Minecraft are armed with a bow and arrows - when they die they tend to drop a couple of arrows and usually a bone as well. So they're annoying due to their ranged attack. Creepers are avoidable even if they sneak up on you (yes, as the name may imply, they don't exactly make any noise when they walk :P) as long as you leg it as soon as you hear the fizzing sound start up - it dies down if you get far enough away as it's only triggered by being in close enough proximity to a player. If one does explode you only tend to insta-die if you're literally right next to it at the time - if you're a block or two away it's usually survivable. I've also been told that being in water helps as well, as the water takes up a lot of the power from the explosion.
There are also these really weird monster called Endermen - they look quite freaky. They're taller than other creatures and they look a bit like walking stickmen, with long skinny arms and legs. They're black with purple eyes and little purple sparkly bits around them. They walk around and randomly pick up blocks from the landscape so you might randomly find that one of your walls has a hole in it the next morning where a block is missing. They don't actually seem aggressive, though - I've been quite close to one (when I rounded a corner underground and saw one nearby) and never been attacked. I think you have to actually go right up to one or something.
My home now has half a lava moat, my wheat and melons are growing nicely, and I've pretty well explored the large cave system that's under my base. And I've put torches everywhere :D.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Seriously, I had no idea what pew meant! I mean, I know it's a bench in a church, but had no clue otherwise!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, you never ran around a playground making pew pew pew noises after Star Wars? :)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, yea, but Ameena's known for random stream-of-consciousness made up words, so I assumed it was something only she knew about.... ;-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...well yeah, the "pew" noise tends more to be associated with lasers but I still use it when shooting at stuff with a bow or whatever ;).
So what have I been doing today? Well, there was a hill which blocked the view between my base and the tunnel leading to other people's bases, so I spent maybe an hour or two of real time demolishing it. Omg I got through so many shovels! And quite a few pick axes as well.
Also went round putting down even more torches. I spent plenty of game-nights working on my hill removal and didn't get attacked once that I can remember. Oh no wait, I think once a zombie came after me so I ganked him with my sword. No Creepers, though maybe it would have helped with the task at hand if one had turned up :D.
I'll have to go and do some more mining at some point, see if I can find some more diamond and stuff. And then start producing and mining obsidian. And then stash it until I come up with some use for it :D.
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

On another MInecraft-related note, I've been watching these videos in YouTube by two blokes who play the game. Omfg it's sooooo fucking funny :D :D :D. Well, I think so anyway.
Here is a link to the first video...
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos# ... UdEFmxRmNE

The others are accessible via the menu on the right hand side but when a vid has finished it automatically starts the next one anyway.
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

This was a great link, btw.... For ironing to. Nearly flattened my fingers once.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The playlist I linked to is actually not all the videos...the saga continues beyond that but doesnt' seem to be arranged in a nice playlist like the first few zillion vids so I'm having to search by title each time for the next one, lol.