Doors sometimes missing!

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Doors sometimes missing!

Post by Gambit37 »

I've seen an odd random problem: sometimes when I test out my dungeon, doors are completely missing!
It's totally random, I can't consistently reproduce it, but obviously this is a serious problem.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Re: Doors sometimes missing!

Post by Adamo »

I don`t have idea about RTC, but it`s too bad if it`s totally random and not fatal either (no bug pop-ups?). You`ve got to find out some regularities to find out what kind of a bug is this - if any.
What kind of doors are missing? Ordinary ones or rather these with custom graphics? With a switch, operated indirectly or in a different way? Opening up/down or else? Initially opened or closed? Breakable or unbreakable? Shifting or not? Do they have fake walls vicinity? Have you checked out these doors in editor again? If you make a new, simple, 1-level game in the editor with 60 doors, how many of them will be missing approximately? How many doors are missing in total - every time the same number or else? How big are the levels of your game? Check out the number of objects in the game - maybe there is some kind of limitation per level or per game?
Is it possible that - when you see a door dissapeared while testing - can save a current game and open a saved buggy game in the editor? (that way you might check if the door from saved game appears in the editor).
Have you added some major randomizers into the game that could affect the door? What type of them?
Is that your problem only or did Adamski, Trantor or others had similar experiences? If not, find out if they were working on the same version.

Personally, I don`t like that kind of investigations. Anyway, I wish you good luck with that bug!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

:shock: I'm not doing all that testing! It should just work.
It seems to be just one door so far, a clone of a portcullis that has custom graphics. Sometimes it's simply not there.

*sigh*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

*cough* OK, it's my mistake, I forgot something I built!

I have a cloned FLOORITEM_DOORBUTTON that I use to open my portcullises. I gave an action to the door button to ACTION_OBJECT_DEACTIVATE my cloned door. Of course, this means when I open a door somewhere on the level, ALL THE SAME TYPE OF DOORS WILL OPEN. Doh!

I don't even know why I did this. It's unnecessary, because when you clone a doorbutton, it automatically inherits the hardcoded mechanism to toggle a door on the same square. Must have been a moment of madness.... ;)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Identifying the bug is always a great news! :D I had a nasty feeling, that (if investigation fails) - since GG is no more actively repairing bugs - you`d have to rebuild some parts of the dungeon.. or start it over.. I was thrilled, because I`m waiting for your dungeon to be released! :wink: Imagine if there was really a strange, random, door-eating bug which couldn`t be repaired.. If there was even 0.2% chance, that a door, wchich you need important key for, suddenly misses, it would ruin the whole gameplay. :o As for me, I hate bugs that occurs randomly.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It was a problem between the keyboard and the chair, not a bug ;-) I'll move this to RTC editing, it might remind people to check their work ;)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

There IS a bug involving disappearing doors. I used a single DOOR_STONE_FACE in my dungeon... I also have a doorframe above the door in the list, and a FLOORITEM_GRIME beneath it. It was simply opened 1 square away, and closed 2 squares away... other than that, there was nothing else in the dungeon that affected the door or that affected it with actions. The door still actually "opened" and "closed" (sound fx and it was solid until open) but it was invisible.

I've only seen this bug a few times when testing my dungeon. It's only usually happened when I've had my PC running for days on end, is very difficult to reproduce, and I've only seen it affect the same door.

I'd have to go with the assumption that it's got something to do with memory allocation, or possibly a memory leak... it's like the engine has tried to load the image for the door and failed at some point, producing a NULL image for the door instead. However, I have to agree with Gambit's original post, this is a serious problem.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone