BEO's FUN FUN INTRO

Forum to run play-by-post RPG games based on Dungeon Master! Warning: These games may have mature themes or language.
CURRENT GAME: Raixel's 3.5ed D&D game

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Re: BEO's FUN FUN INTRO

Post by raixel »

Growlgra nods at Sssil's comment, then he mimes guarding, making a fire, and then peering around as if looking for something. Look for him at stops. The bika seems to agree that as fun as it would be to hunt him down, they have other responsibilities right now.

At the merchant's Westian perks up and looks excitedly around at all the esoteric items Thhralik has for sale. Thhralik notices the elf browsing around and grins at him. "Ahh, I see your companion knows quality when he sees it." he tells Sssil. Turning to Westian, he says "I have travelled far andwide, and have learned some of the language of mammals. But the language I know is the simple trade-language used by your kind, and I don't speak it well. Im not adverse to casting a simple spell I learned to facilitate trade, however. Would you be willing to let me cast it on you? It lasts for a bit, and should make communicating with your companion easier. No charge. This is my thanks for your friend being such a good customer. It only removes an accent though, so I hope your knowledge of Zaangaardian is enough."

Westian nods after puzzling out the words and the mage rummages in his robes and produces a small glass vial with a clear liquid in it. He holds the vial at eye level, then takes out a small paint-stick made of crushed shells and clay mixed with grease and inscribes a rune on it. To Sssil the rune looks like an upside down hook with a circle on the bottom. Thhralik closes his eyes to concentrate and murmurs "ONOHIR" , before setting the vial in prongs rising from a foot wide copper disk he has on a shelf nearby. On the disk Sssil sees symbols commonly associated with magic. The mage touches a few symbols on the disk, and then closes his eyes and concentrates. The fluid in the vial starts bubbling and foaming, before turning an iridescent pale purple. Thhralik opens his eyes and examines the vial. He nods and then turns to Westian and says "Drink this and you will be able to undestnad any speech. It only lasts for a half-bell however."

Westian takes the falsk and sniffs it before drinking it down. He makes a face and says "Ugh. That tasted like dirt." in perfectly clear Zaangardian.

Thhralik rubs his hands together and says "Excellent! Now, let usget down to business. So, you want another smoker? Unfortunately, I don't have one to sell directly on hand as I make quite a business using the one I have here to smoke hunter's meats quickly. I can, however make you some extra blackbark shavings so you can refill the one you have without having to come back here. One gold for two uses of the shavings, plus an extra 3 silver to smoke the meat. Added to 4 silver to tan the hides, and 5 silver for the refill. So, 2 gold 2 silver. Sssil goes to dig in his pouch and Westian steps forward an puts his hand over Sssil's to stop him.

"Now, now, good mage," he says. "While your offer of the language potion is generous, you admitted that your hide tanner is still in the experimental stage. So I dont think its fair that we pay you to use it."

The mage harrumphs and sighs. "Yes, yes. Thta is true. Why dont we try the tanner and smoker first. Then you can decide." At Growlgra's nod, he takes the hides and dumps then in a large copper pot with runes inlaid with lapis around the top. Then he takes a large jug of a greenish fluid and dumps it in the pot, along with a grey powder. He stirs the mixture well while muttering mystical incantations. A foul grey mist rises from the pot, the acrid scent causing Hisssa to dive into Sssil's armor-pouch and the tracker's nictating membranes to reflexively close over his eyes to protect them.

"Let them sit in there for a while, and i'll get the smoker ready." he says while going back to his booth and pulling out a censer like Sssil's only much larger and a large wooden box. He takes the meat from Growlgra and hangs it on metal hooks in the box before placing the censer inside and lighting it. After this is done touches the censer and mutters somethin undre his breath and quickly closes the door of the box as the censer lights nad smoke pours out. 15 minutes later he checks on the hides and the smokes and grins. "Good. It is done." he says as he pulls the hides out with a large metal prong and dumps them in a vat of clear water.

He hands both a chunk of meat and a hide to Sssil for inspection.

"So. Tell me what you think?" he says.

Ok, roll a (Ug, we still use wilderness lore in my home game, which is what this woulda been. I dont know if survival really fits, so I'm gonna say knowledge nature) knowledge nature with a +2 survival synergy bonus. Read whichever one is appropriate and frame your reactions accordingly. You can also ask Growlgra his opinion.
Hides:
If you roll above a 17:
Spoiler
Sssil notices that the hides, while tanned, arent tanned very well. They are brittle and have minescule cracks throughout and will most likely crack apart with use or streching. It would take an experienced eye to notice this

If you roll below a 17:
Spoiler
, they look fine

Meat: Above 15
Spoiler
The meat is expertly smoked. It is chewy without being too tough and still retains some moisture. It is of an even higher quality tahn the meat from your censer. It will last for quite a long time if it is protected from the elements.

Below 15:
Spoiler
It tastes good and seems as good as conventional smoking or the result from your censer, although you have no idea how long it will keep
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, way to roll fantastic rolls out of combat/tense situations! :(
url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3027887/]Knowledge (nature) rolls with synergy (1d20+9=27, 1d20+9=29)[/url]

Ssssil had eaten raw and treated deer for so long that it takes a lot to impress him. However, the meat he eats some of the best he has ever tasted. He grins widely at the merchant, and nods enthusiastically. He makes sure Growlgra is eating, eager to see his reaction. After all, maybe this is not as good as he thinks it is, to a well travelled hunter.

Ssssil spoke quickly to Westian, explaining all the time he had eaten such fare in the wild, and how it had never been this good. With hopefulness, Ssssil then turned his attention to the tanned hides. His face fell as he saw the miniscule indications that all had not gone well. He tried to show Growlgra and Westian the damage, asking if either of them knew a way to correct it.

He looks with a hangdog expression to the merchant, communicating what he had found.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Growlgra eats the meat and barks excitedly, obviously happy with the taste. He takes the proffered hide and examines it, twisting and tugging on it, sniffing it, pulling the hair, and sweeping his hand against the lay of the fur-side to check the roots. He tuns to Sssil and draws a pattern of lines across the hide with his foreclaw, and then frowns. Cracked. Not good. Then he brightens up and points to the hide, then the mage, then his money, before cupping his hands around his eyes as if to show blinders. If not know, sell him? After that he points to his own money pouch, than to Sssil's, then to Westian's as if to say lots or more. Could get more that way. He points to himself and Sssil while nodding, than to Westian and the mage while shaking his head, than to his eye and the hide. Only a tracker-type see damage.

Thhralik watches the bika, but seems mystified by the gestures, as does Westian. "Is your friend trying to cast a spell?" Thhralik asks curiously. "i sense no mana gathering in the area."

Westian takes the hide and looks it over at Sssil's rqeuest, mimicking what Growlgra did, only to Sssil's experienced eye it is obviously just mimicry, as the elf has no idea what he's looking for. "It looks fine to me," the elf says as he hands it back to Sssil.

At Sssil's downcrst expression, the mage frowns and says "Does it not please you, sa'sshin?" He takes the hide and looks it over. "I see nothing wrong," he remarks.

Sssil points out the damage, and Thhralik sighs. "Ahh, now I see. I am sorry. Well, as I said it is an experimental process. I will not charge you for them and you may keep them, if you just let me take a few samples and notes. Doing so will not lower the quality, I assure you."

The hedge-wizard walks over to his shelf and pulls a pouch and a book. Grabbing a quill, he begins to scribble furiously in the book before clipping a small chunk of hide off of one of the corners. True to his word, he returns the hide and the small removed piece isn't noticable.

"Kacikkhss! Well, I guess that is the way the scale sheds," Thhralik says. The mage seems concerned that due to his inability to properly tan the hides and Sssil's status as a noble, he might get bad reputation. He brightens for a second and says "But you did enjoy the meat, yes? Well, at least you can let your House know that my quick-smoking process is convenient and successful! Tell you what. To make it up to you, I'll throw in the refill of your censer for free. That seem fair?"

I'm assuming since Sssil is letting Westian haggle, he'll agree. IF not, let me know and I'll retcon anything in.

Westian does that peculiar lowering of his head Sssil saw earlier to the mage and says "Your generousity is boundless, good mage. I'm sure Sssil's house will hear of your kindness. The offer is fair."

The transaction completed, Thhralik takes Sssil's (1 g 3 s) gold and hands over the other hide and rest of the smoked meat wrapped in a neat package and 3 sssaj pods. At the confusion evident on Ssil's face Thhralik grins.

"Ah, yes. The enchanted blackbark shavings and herbs used to power the censer are within, after I removed the sssaj seeds. One pod will fill the censer. I find they are convienient, as their natural mana protects the enchantment from fading, and the resin keeps the herbs from drying out," the mage explains.

"If there is nothing further, may Makanassht grant you success on your hsssir test, sa'sshin!" Thhralik says as the three turn to leave. Judging by the sun, they have roughly 15 minutes before the caravn is scheduled to leave Hassta's yard.

Once there, Sssil sees that the caravan is loaded and Drakkika and other lizar are placing the grahhssk in their harnesses. Hassta approaches Sssil when he sees the three enter the yard. He is carrying Sssil's pack, and next to him is a tough looking female lizar of about 30 cycles. There is a definite resemblance between her and Hassta.

"Sssil! Come over here!" the yard master shouts as he sees the three. As Sssil gets closer he hears Hassta saying "This is the one I told you about, that knocked that stampeding grahhssk to the ground." He turns to Sssil and says "Sssil, this is my firstborn, Kasslira. Kass for short. She will be leading the caravan you will be guarding, as the head-guard and pathfinder. This is her first time as pathfinder, and I know she will be the best there is!" Hassta says proudly

The female's nostril slits close in embarrasment, and she averts her eyes from Sssil. "Now sire, I'm not that great..." Then her normal tough demeanor returns as she looks the three over. "Hmm, two mammals. The furry one looks useful, but the other one looks scrawny and clumsy. Don't know how much use he'll be." she says bluntly.

Hassta looks embarrased and Westian looks affronted. But before the elf can say anything, Hassta motions for quiet.

"Now, Kass," Hassta begins, a bit angrily. "They are paying customers, not guards. Only Sssil is guarding. Please show our customers respect."

The female has the grace to look embarrased, and lifts her head to show her neck in apology. "I am sorry. Please forgive my rudeness. The caravan will be getting underway, and I must return to supervising those under my command." With a nod, she turns and leaves, obviously still embarrased.

"Please forgive Kass. She prefers to spend her time fighting or in the wilds, and has no patience for flowery speech and dancing around the point. This first job as head guard and pathfinder has her on edge and she meant no offense." Hassta explains. "Now, if there is anything you want to do in the city, do it now. I can hold the caravan for a bit until you ae finished. I'm sure you know it is best to be over prepared than under."

Whew, huge post!

Ok, so if theres *anything* else you might want to do (a visit to the temple to get potions, purchasing of items, selling the hides ect), let me know and i'll do a quick write up. Makan is qa big city, so you might be able to find unusual stuff. If you think something would be useful, let me know and i'll tell you if its avaiable. Pretty much anything in the equipment guyuide of the PHB can be found as well as low-level magic items, (remember though, I changed a lot of it so prices and charges ect arent accurate, but I can tel you if something is similar)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gah! Why did I think I'd posted a reply? :( Yeah, Ssssil will let Westian haggle. Now Westian has lost the accent (temporarily), Ssssil will spot Westian is good at that sort of thing :D THough cracked hides...might be an idea to see if anyone in the caravan knows a trick for tending/repairing them so they might be useable or sellable later.

Their transactions satisfactorily completed, Ssssil guide the other two back to the caravan with timer to spare, althoguh perhaps not too much. The lizar is nervoud when Hasssta yells, but is thankful it is clearly to conduct some familial introductions. Ssssil is relieved and honoured, and gives a small bow.

Ssssil's scales bristle a little when she scruitinises Growlgra, and his face falls a little when Kass insults Westian. Despite her being correct. Ssssil does not know what to say regarding the matter, and is glad when Hasssta brings the subject up. "Be good for you to teach her evaluating others then, with this trip," says Sssssil. He points to Growlgra. "Good hunter." He points to Westian, wondering what to say. Then, of course, he recalls the previous exchange. "And he can do flowery speech. But good, people listen and change their minds." Ssssil takes out the neck device that allowed the lizar to speak to the two perfectly not so long ago. "If him use this to remove accent, him can help us with any troubles in speaking along way." Ssssil nods encounragingly, and the gives a wide grin then lets it fall towards Westian.

Realising the caravan is about to move, Ssssil shakles his head about holding it up any more than needed. ssssil feels simple, so I can't imagine him using naything more complex than thigns like a tanglefoot bag. Certainly this close to time, he'd just be happy to just let the caravan go. Ssssil then quickly shows Hasssta the meat they procured and smoked. "This fresh! Fresh kill! Smoked by magic! Tastes good!" Ssssil gives Hasssta a piece to try encounragingly. "Should make end of journey still as good as first day. Not lose time hunting, only hunt for pleasure!"

Finally, while realising Hasssta will need to be free to finish preparations, he cannot help but pull out the scroll regarding the fugitive. "Guards puttingthis up in town. Ask us if we see him in swamp. Fugitive around. Guard caravan first, but if any gyuards or hunters wabt to try their luck at rest stops...." Ssssil says the last speculatively. He is surprised hiow comfortable he has become in this unfamiliar environment, however it is very easy to get comfortable around skilled trackers and hunters. There was just something relaxing about knowing you shared a common bond and interest beyond normal flowery speech.

Ok, will leave it there to see what's happening and reactions and stuff. And teehee, my character got name dropped last update by you in the mian game. Woohoo!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Yeah. Its actually all your fault Westian and GRowlgra are running around here anyway. Originally it was just gonna be Growlgra and some unnamed elf, but when you thought it was Westian and Ameena, I contacted OB and that led to the concept of the 'resistance', which we wanted to surprise everyone with the knowledge that they all knew each other. I;m gonna slowly start tying this game to Petal's memories when she talks about the past, if thats ok.

Hassta grins at the mammals. "Yeah, I can see that your talents would be useful." he says to Westian. "Not always is a sharp sword the best answer. Besides, as the caravan gets closerto the lands of your people, having a familiar looking person around might be good."

Westian blinks at the showing of teeth than frowning. But, he does it back to both Hassta and Sssil, apparently deciding it is a lizar custom. Hassta just looks confused at both of them.Now look what you started :D
"No I couldnt take your stone. You earned it with your bravery. Keep it. I wont ever learn to drop this accent through magical help, and I was chosen by my temple to wander. Not a lot of good Id be if I needed magical aid to converse." the elf says.

Hasta take the proffered meat and bites into it experimentally, a bit apprehensive at the concept of it being made by magic. But as he chews it, his eyes light up. "Wow. That's really good. What did you say the name of the magician is? I'm going to reccomend him to my pathfinders as a way to preserve journey-food." he says. He takes the poster and looks the criminal over. "Chaos worship, eh?" he muses. "I never seen him before. Hey, Kass, come over here!"

The pathfinder walks up, obviously still embarrased by her earlier outburst, as she studiously avoids looking at the two mammals. "Sire, what is it? I have a lot of preparations to make." she asks a bit crossly.

"Look at this," the old lizar replies as he hands her the poster. "Sssil says guards are posting this all over the wall. He supposedly is heading in the same direction you will be traveling."

"Hmm. A noble, huh?" Sssil knows he didnt tell her and the picture isnt good enough to clearly show his scale patterns, so how did she know? The cnfusion must be evident on his face because she grins at him and says "It's obvious. With a name like Hasskilirac, he isnt one of us common folk. You nobles always go for long names. I just wonder why he'd turn to Chaos. Most Chaos-worshippers ive seen in my travels are desperate and destitute types with nothing to lose. Its strange, really."

"Sure, as long as the caravan's taken care of, you are welcome to keep an eye out for him. We should all be more careful. If he has aquired a band of followers or cronies, they could be practicing banditry. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll go alert the others." she says as she hands the poster back to Sssil. The female seems to be warming up to the tracker, and is getting over her earlier blunder.

Within a half-bell, the caravan is ready to go. A porter takes the dried meat from Sssil and Growlgra, and stores it in the wagon that will eb carrying the caravan's supplies. The drivers climb up on the driver-board of the wagons, and Kass, Hassta and Drakkika walk up and down the line, making last minute adjustements to ties, goods, and harnesses. Sssil sees other guards checking armor, weapons and packs, before climbing up on various wagons to ride along until the caravan leaves the city-state's border.

Growlgra glances at the hides both he and Sssil are still carrying and shrugs, before pretending to shiver then miming sleep. If cold, use as blanket. Sssil doesnt really understand why someone would need to use a heavy hide to sleep with Even in winter, the swamp is still humid and never drops below 70 degrees, but the bika seems to think it is a good idea.

After the final check, Kass hops on a male grahhssk fitted with a special saddle built so a lizar could ride on the creature's sloped back, and Drakkika runs up to her, obviously sad to be seeing his mother leave after such a short stop.

"Mind your grandsire, and be a good kakkiss." Sssil hears her say to her son. "I'll be back soon, and then you can show me all the things you've learned about tracking and taking care of grahhssk. Maybe next time you will be big enough that you can come with me as an apprentice grahhssk keeper." The kakkiss brightens considerably at that prospect, although privately Sssil thinks it's going to be some time before he's old enough to ride on a caravan.

Hassta walks up to the three after finishing his final check. "Alright, everything's set. Unfortunately, you two are the only passengers, so we didnt set up a passenger wagon. You'll have to ride like the guards do, where you can fit. Sssil, for now, go ahead and find a spot too, and then once the caravan leaves the city-patrolled area, Kass wants you on point as a scout. Don't worry, these mud-runners move slow. Its why we dont use them for anything but the deep-swamp trains. You wont need to ride a grahhssk to get ahead of the train." the one-eyed yard master tells them.

"Zhhhaynk yoo, fffor evrrrzzhing." Westian says in his thick accent, the potion having worn off. He then smiled and immdeiately frowns at Hassta, who nods back.

Growlgra also nods, and says something in his own tongue while placing his hand over his heart. Both mammals look down the caravan. The second wagon in line has a bit of room on the front left corner for the three of them to sit if they want, nestled in the crates and barrels. Growlgra agiley climbs directly up the side of the tall wagon and sits on a barrel. Sssil notes that the dog-man's toe claws appear to help him climb things that a lizar, with their wide splayed feet would have trouble with. Westian also climbs up, but uses the more traditional steps cut into the side by the baseboard. Sssil sees Growlgra's head and upper body appears over the side, and the bika motions for him to climb on up.

"Well, sonny. I think its time to go. Been good meetin ya. Show those mammals what a lizar can do, and come back a proud hsssir, eh? I wouldnt mid seein ya if you ever head back this way. And dont let Kass set your tail on fire! She's got a soft heart, really." Hassta remarks, as the old lizar slaps Sssil companionably on the back.

"Get goin, I hate goodbyes, now."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ssssil grins to Westian regarding the stone, though he decides that if they get in to trouble, the lizar will still give it to Westian so a bad accent won't get them killed. And Ssssil is surprised at Kass's leaps of logic, and tries to work backwards to see if she is smart, or if she is lying and had other ways to know what was going on with the noble. It might be important, to know if she presented herself as cleverer than she was. Ssssil made sure to never make that mistake! (Sense motive on Kass (1d20-1=2){)

Ssssil is happy that Hasssta will allow the group to hunt if needed, especially for the dangerous lizar varienty of prey, though is sad that the old lizar won't be coming with them. He is not sure what to make of the daughter yet, although supposes that with such a good teacher, she should keep the caravan safe and find all the right paths. The lizar is glad for not needing to ride a mount, though sends a little mental admonision to Hissssa to make sure his snake friend does not decide to play any tricks aroudn the legs of these slow but dangerous beasts.

Ssssil's chest puffs up with pride as he realises he will be given the honour of point duty, althoguh is a little saddened - and surprised to find it so - that he will be travelling less with his recent companions. Odd, that the two mammals he was nervous around and barely knew a few bells ago could seem the most desireable travelling companions now. He shrugs to Growlgra regarding the skins they still have. He shrugs, then geatures around the group they will ride with, and mimes scooping out something from a jar. He pretends to rub it on the hide. Then makes the universal gesture - so he has seen with other creatures - for coin, Someone treat hides? Still sell? Ssssil still entertained a fantasy that somehow they could treat the damaged hides well enoguh to still sell them. for now though, if his little friend was cold - odd given the fur, like a portable blanket - then they would certainly keep the heat in, or the cold out (Yes, I know you don't keep cold out :))

With a heavy heart in one way, Ssssil bids a brief goodbye to Hasssta too, telling the lizar the name of the magician for the smoking eagerly, and then realising he had no words to express his gratitude for the job, for having met a fellow tracker, and now for having to leave. Still, he should be back sooner rather than later. Or perhaps that was the regret. Taht Ssssil did not want to be tied back to this place, and it seemed that Hasssta's days of roaming free had come and gone. With awave and then a bow, Ssssil turned and did not look back, putting Hissssa back on his hand so his friend could see where they were about to go.

The lizar quickly appoached Kass to find where she wanted him both when they were leaving, and once they were in the swamp, and then settled his excited nerves to focus on the task at hand.

Weeee! Leavign the city! Ok, he's a perception roll for when Ssssil is put on point: Perception roll for the swap (1d20+5=10). Lol, a 10. He's going to make a great impression! Luckily, if he's allowed, Hissssa will knock it out of the part with a 24 (Perception roll for the swamp (Hissssa) (1d20+8=24)). Maybe Ssssil should just aid another for Hissssa from now on! Maybe this should actually be Hissssa's story! :D
raixel

Post by raixel »

Its "The Little Snake that Could"! Keep in mind, however that even though you and Hisssa can communicate, he IS still a snake and his perceptions and thoughts are different than a lizar's. He also might get distracted easily by stuff like a female snake or the scent of food. :D

Sssil watches Kass carefully as she makes her final preperations, but he can't tell if she hides any duplicity. "Go ahead and ride along until we break at the 'mother and son' rocks" she tells him when he approaches to ask where he should be. "Then you can take point next morning, as we will shortly be entering the wild lands." Hassta nods at Sssil and lets Hisssa scent his hand one final time before stepping back to allow Sssil to join hi scompainions on the wagon.

Sssil climbs aboard the wagon the Westian and Growlgra are on. The three are the only ones on this wagon, but Sssil can see the heads of guards over the rails of the other wagons n the train. In the wagon are many barrels, most likely containing a liquor or other local alcholic specialty. Each barrel is painted with the crest of the city of Makan on its side. Westian is sitting on the floor of the wagon, but Growlgra has layed his hide down on a barrel and perched upon it, setting it up in such a way that he is afforded a good view o the area surrounding the wagon. Hissssa seems excited to be doing something new, and he climbs up Sssil's body to give himself a better view of the surroundng area. He does seem disappointed when Sssil tells him he can't tease the grahhssk, however.

As soon as Sssil climbs aboard, he hears the bell at the entrance of the yard ringing, and the wagon's driver calls "Ssshaa! Move on!", which is repeated down the line. The wagon begins to move with a lurch. Sssil sees Hasssta waving goodbye, and Drakkika walking alongside the wagons, also waving. The crowd in the square begins to clear a path as the wagons leave the yard, and Sssil can see guards stopping the foot traffic at the main gates to allow the caravan to pass. Drakkika follows the train to the gates, where he stops and watches the caravan leave the city. There is a brief period of darkness as the wagon passes through the city walls, aand then the bright sun and humidity of the swamp.

The caravan follows the main road, the wagon Sssil is in is swaying back and forth and bumping along as it hits some potholes. Hisssa apparently doesnt like the swaying, as after a few attempts to move his body in line with the motions, he gives up and buries himself in Sssil's armor pouch. At the pace the wagon is moving, it will be a few bells before the wagon reaches the 'mother and son' rocks, where the the train is stopping to camp for the night. Sssil realizes the train moves at no more than a slow walking pace, but reflects that it will probably make up for time once the mud-bogs and uncontrolled roads are reached. Then its slow pace will seem fast compared to the way most caravns would get bogged down in the mire.

He turns his attention to Growlgra and the damaged hides. Although the dog-man seems to have accepted the fact that the hides are damaged, Sssil still wants to fix them as much as possible. The dog man watches Sssil's motions, his black nose twitching intently as he thinks on the question. He nods, and makes the same motions as if rubbing something in, but the shrugs and makes a motion as if to say far away. Yes, but this place unfamiliar. He then makes a motion as if he is peering around, then picking plants, then shrugs again. Herbs I know, not here.

The ride to the mother and son rocks goes by without a problem. The caravan passes many travellers on foot or small wagons, but as it is larger, the smaller conveyances get out of the way. Only once does it encounter another large wagon train and have to pull over to allow the other to pass. There are patrols of guards in their familiar orange dyed chitin armor as well, and Sssil wonders if they are out looking for the escaped prisoner, or just common road patrols. They do seem to be a bit thicker than he remembers from previous journeys to go hunting in the swamp.

If you wanna chat with GRowlgra or Westian, or comment or try and talk to a passing guard or traveller, go ahead, but im gonna move us on

The sun has dipped below the horizon by the time the caravan has reached the place where it is going to break for the night, at the foot of the mother and son rocks. Sssil w0onders on the fact that he could have walked here in just a couple bells, but it took the caravan five solid hours of travel. The greyish form of the rocks looms over the campsite, and Sssil can see other traveler's campfires glimmering nearby, as this flat and bare area is a common camp stop. Travelers stop here for the night so they reach the city of Makan early in the morning so they dont have to risk being locked out when the city gates close for the night. It also marks the border of where the city guards patrol on the West Road.

The wagons circle in a defensive arangement at the foot of the rocks, and Sssil looks up, swearing he can actually see the form of a mother lizar crouching over her kakkiss. The guards climb down, and Sssil sees Kass dismount her grahhssk and hand it off to the grahhssk handler, who is also picketing the other beasts for the night. A few drivers get a fire going and start to cook a communal meal in large pots.

Kass strides to the center of the wagon circle. "Hoi! All guards front and center!" she calls, as the other guards climb down and walk towards her. Sssil climbs down to do the same, and to his suprise, so does Growlgra.

The eight guards, along with Sssil and Growlgra, group themselves in front of the pathfinder, who looks them over. "Alright! I want 5 teams of two each, broken into bell-and 1/2 watches. You can either draw bones for your watch, or decide amongst yourselves. Any disagreement will be settled by me. There will be food here, courtesy of Sssil and his companions." the pathfinder says. "Those of you not on watch should try and get some rest instead of dicing or staying up all night, as this will most likely be the safest place we camp in the journey and you might not be able to get this much solid rest for some time. Now, any questions?"

The guards look around at each other. A very thin female lizar with dull beige and black scales and her partner, a huge male with scars all over his body, and patches of scales missing from his yellow and light green hide say "We would like the last watch, as one of us has wizardly talents and needs to study for spells."

Sssil assumes it is the small female and not the large male that has magical talent, although he does appreciate why they wouldnt want anyone to know which one, in case unfreindly ears are listening.

Kass nods and says "Alright, any objections?" while marking something down on a scroll with a charcoal stick. She turns to Sssil. "How about you? You provided some food, so you should get next pick. And your...friend... is welcome to guard, although he will not be getting payed."

Ok, im gonna stop here, as I think the watch you are on is something thats important enough to let you decide.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Awww, I have faith in Hisssa to keep focused...on food and guts. I'm sure it will turn out for the best :D

Sssssil is sad that the hides seem to be useless, feeling he has let his new companions down in some way. He hopes there will be chances to perhapd find a cure,even if Growlgra does not seem so bothered.

Ssssil feels at ease allowing the caravan to move them all off, although does not wish to miss getting off to take point at the Mother and Son, even though he would know where it was with his eyes closed. He doesn't close his eyes, despite the earliness of the day he fears falling asleep, or something equally dishonourable. Ssssil is content to be quiet, but scans around him, trying ot get a feel for the group he is with. He is not used to travelling with so many others, and is not sure of his place in the pecking order. Is he supposed to take charge to earn his keep, or is he being paid to be silent muscle?

So, too, is Sssssil uneasy regarding the nature of those around him. Are they trackers, hunters, fighters, look outs. He is used to seeing people and judging them through actions, like Growlgra, and feeling at ease knowing their worth that way. HJaving to guess from non existant clues is strange. Especially as, really, he does not wish tohave the opportunity to see hos fellow guards in action. A dull journey would be a good thing.

Sense motive roll: Sese motive on the guards around (1d20-1=13)

As the watches are decided, Sssssil looks to the furry hunter, glad Growlgra chose to help out. Ssssil might have been alone on watch otherwise. I'm not worried. shrugs Ssssil regarding the time of the watch. He looks to the impressive pair who ask for a specific shift. They obviously have done this before, and Ssssil makes a mental note to keep watching these two, and perhaps learn some of the finer points of guard duty from them. Suddenly being put on the spot shocks Ssssil, especially in front of the two he wished to learn from. "Take first watch," he says, realising uninterrupted sleep is a good thing. "Ready now." Only later does Ssssil realise that it might engender ill will to take a good watch, if first watch was considered good. Still, ssssil still has that feeling of not wanting to fall asleep. Standing guard at night seems a recipe for disaster. He looks t oGrowlgra, hoping the small hunter is not offended by the choice.
raixel

Post by raixel »

The results of your sense motive. Go ahead and retcon anything else, and i'll continue to split the posts like this one until they get caught up

As the wagon train moves down the road, Sssil tries to get glimpses of the guards he will be travelling with, and perhaps trusting with his life. Although it is hard to get a close look, as the 5 wagon caravan stretches off down the road, Sssil can look into the two closest wagons, the lead, and the third in line. In the first, there are three guards, all spaced up in the front by the driver, perhaps looking out for trouble. They all appear alert, even though this is supped to be "safe" territory. And indeed, it dioes make sense that the guards in the first and last wagons would be more responsible to alerting the others of potential danger. There is two males, one rough looking, with dark green and mottled grey scales. This on e has an air of competence about him with the way he assuredly watches the road for signs of trouble. The other male with greay and white scales , although he is intently scanning the area, appears barely older than a kakkiss and Sssil can detect his nervousness in the way he fingers the sword at his side constantly. The third is hard to get a look at, as it is wearing brown robs that completely conceal its features, although Sssil swears he can see its eyes glittering yellow under its hood. It also appears to be keeping an eye on the passing traffic for any suspicious behavior.
God dammit, you got me spelling stuff with a extra 'u' the way you English do! I had to retype "behaviour"! :P :D

Looking in the wagon behind him, he sees a stocky-going-to-fat male with a dark green back and light yellow underbelly dicing with a drab brown female with black speckles. The two appear completely unconcerned about their surroundings, and Sssil bets he could jump into the wagon and they wouldnt even look up from their game.

When Sssil speaks up about which watch he wants, Sssil sees the drab brown and black speckled female look up at him, appearing slightly annoyed. He notices she has a scar across one eye. Eerily, the pupil in that eye is a tiny vertical slit, and the eye does not move when she looks at him. But she doesnt say anything, and glances away disinterestedly after checking Sssil out. Growlgra nods in response to Sssil's question, and seems happy. Then the dog-man catches the female's glare, and glares back. But before anyne can say anything, Kass marks something on her scroll and says, "Alright, then. Since youre first watch, why dont you start now. Just make circuits of the wagons, and alert the camp if you see anything you can't handle by yourselves. I'm not expecting anything major, but you never know when a wild animal might come nosing about."

Sssil and Growlgra walk to the edge of the circled wagons. The sun is below the horizon, and the sunset colors the sky a beautiful orange pink along the treeline. The air is still and the heavy humidity of the day has tapered off somewhat. Sssil hears the swamp frogs and night insects slowly startng up their calls. In the distance about 50 yards away, he sees a few traveler's fires burning at various points. They are probably wandering merchants. From within the wagon camp comes the orange glow of a lit fire, and the smell of venison stew. He can hear the other guards talking and telling stories. Growlgra turns to him, and makes a couple of circular motions with each hand, then puts both hands together and makes another circular motion, followed by a question. Stay together, or split up?

K, I need a perception, as well as a knowledge nature and a survival. The perception is to notice things, and the know nature is to keep from waking the camp up over a squirrel. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't be angry at me teaching you good habits :p

Ssssil is happy to be in the company of the small hunter, however the night air and the night sounds reminds him of how good it is to be alone with ones slow thoughts at the end of a day. Besides, it is probably best to keep multiple points of watch going. Ssssil gestures for the two to split up, and after considering the spread and arrangements of the wagons, holds up a number of fingers to indicate the sub-division of minutes it should take to sweep around, and movings his two hands passing infront of each other to show when he estimates they should pass each other.

Ssssl lets Growlgra move off in the opposite direction, then thinks of something. "Sssssroll-ra" he says, trying to say the small hunters name yet aware he is trying to pronounce a name already distorted through Westian's terrible accent once, and probably now worsened by his own. Ssssil gestures in thanks for the bika taking the watch with him. Nodding happily, Ssssil then moves off to start his sweep, checking his weapons and putting his throwin axe in his hand in case he requires a fast reaction to danger.

Perception, knowledge (nature) and survival rolls - in that order (+2/4 versus fey/humans not added) (1d20+5=15, 1d20+7=10, 1d20+17=24)
raixel

Post by raixel »

I LOL'd at that, fortunately it is too late for me to be drinking coffee. ;) Hm. And I just now realized you can do different font colors. Learn somethin new every day I guess. I just had sonething crazy happen while typing this post. It made a bunch of w's like the key was held down. So I thought the w key was jammed. It wasnt. It continued even when I disconnected my keyboard. WTF!? I got it to stop by going into sleep mode then back out. Any idea what coulda caused something like this?

Growlgra nods at Sssil to show he understands the pacing, then starts walking in the opposite direction. When Sssil tries to say Growlgra's name, he turns back and an odd look comes across his face. Then he frowns in concentration for a second and says "Wwwrrrrill" back at the lizar, before grinning again and nodding in recogition of the thanks.

The dog-man's small form melts into the shadows as the two hunters move off in opposite directions. The flickering light from the camp-fire barely reaches through the circled wagons, and where it does it casts long fanciful shadows. The humid air is cooling down and scented with plant life, and Sssil can hear the calls of night birds and the croaking of swamp-frogs as the nocturnal creatures of the swamp begin to wake. In the distance, a traveler's grahhssk shrieks at an unknown disturbance, and Sssil can hear strains of someone playing a hsslakk (a lizar stringed instrument.).

Inside the camp, Sssil hears jovial laughter and the sounds of someone fighting. Peering in between the wagons, he sees the dark-green and grey male that was in the first wagon wrestling with the heavily scarred light green male who asked to be put on last watch while the other guards and drivers cheer and egg them on. The very thin female who is partnered with the scarred green male alternately cheers her partner on and talks to the odd heavily-cloaked guard with the bright yellow eyes Sssil saw in the first wagon. Even Westian is watching the wrestling match, although his calls of encouragement proabably aren't understood. Kass sits away from the group at the edge of the firelight, apparently going through scrolls and making notes on a large map layed out on a rock in front of her.

Sssil notices that the almost-fat lizar with the dark green back and light yellow underbelly and the drab brown and black speckled female with the bad eye are sitting far away from the others talking to each other on the opposite side of the fire from where Kass has her map, as well as a female Sssil couldnt see while riding the wagon and hasnt been able to get a good look at yet. This female sits by the fire, although at a distance from the main group. It is hard to tell her scale patterns, as she is wearing a thin grey robe. The hood of the robe is pulled up, so all Sssil can see is her face. Her face-scales are bright green, almost bright enough to be a noble's, although a few shades too dull. She appears to be enjoying herself, but has intentionally kept herself distant from the main group for some reason.

After quite a few uneventful circuits, Hisssa sleepily pokes his head out of his armor-pouch and yawns, tongue flicking at the scents of the night air. An image of the cage Sssil is carrying with the rat inside of it appears in the lizar's mind. Sssil knows that although most snakes only need to eat once a week, Hisssa needs to eat at least once a day, due to his increased intelligence and brain power. Sssil looks at the sky. The large yellow moon, Rasar, has just risen. The small purple moon, Zosar, is not in the sky at all. Judging by this, it is around 9pm and the watch will soon be over. Hisssa doesn't need to eat yet, he's just trying to get an easy meal from Sssil. If he was really hungry, he'd go hunt a snack. The snake climbs out of the armor pouch and down Sssil's leg to the ground, where he raises his head expectantly.

Growlgra approaches from the opposite direction as he makes his circuit nad stops when he sees Hisssa across the path. Even though the dog-man is much more world-savvy than Westian, he appears to have a natural aversion to snakes. Hisssa sees Growlgra and looks up at him hopefully. The dog man tenatively stretches his hand out to the snake and Hisssa scents Growlgra's fingers. In Sssil's mind, he gets an image of the snake play-striking at Growlgra, and the canine freaking out and yipping like an injured swamp jackal. The snake apparently finds it funny that mammals are afraid of him. However, he does not actually go through with his "joke".

The rest of the watch passes quickly and the two hunters enter the camp. The driver of Sssil's wagon spoons out two large portions of venison stew into bowls for each of them as Westian sees them and waves them over. As the two go to sit, the heavily cloaked guard with the yellow eyes and the young grey and white lizar stand up to take their watches. The scarred male and thin female scoot over to make room by Westian so that Sssil and Growlgra can sit. The scarred male looks Sssil over and grins.

"So, whats your story?" he asks companionably. 'Figure since we're traveling together, we should get to know each other."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe the key was held down for so long that it would have taken a while to stop? Otherwise, who knows with crazy computers! And awww, Wwwwwrrrrl is Sssssil?

Sssssil asks Hissssa if he really wants to play with the rat now, pointing out that it might be a long few days, and the rat might be something to keep for later when the swamp is less forgiving for finding food. Sssssilis a big softy though, so if Hissssa pushes the issue tonight, then he'll take out the cage. If so, then obviously Ssssil will look out for other animals to put in the cage instead tomorrow, and if not then Ssssil will feed the rat instead :D

Sssssil is happy to have had an uneventful watch, though is still nervous as he knows he needs to be ready incase one of the other watches - as is most likely - discovers something while the camp is more vulnerable in the night. The lizar enjoys the stew well enough, although has been getting used to enjoying less prepared food from tracking in wilder places. Such longer preparation time simply provides more oppurtunity for an animal to be attracted to the food. Still it is a welcome change.

Ssssil was happy to sit and fade in to the background, and allow Growlgra and Westian to carry any conversation, and so is a little put out when he is singled out. "On hsssir test. Of the third great house." He shrugs. "Tracker." he says far more happily. There is a pause as he tries to work out what is expected at times like this. "And you?"
raixel

Post by raixel »

Yeah, considering the fact that I dont exactly see dog-men being able to make an "s" and Sssil's name is mostly s'es. :D.

Hisssa thinks on this, and Sssil swears he can hear the snake's impulses warring. The desire to be stuffed full now, versus the desire to have food later. Finally, he lowers his head and slithers away, sending Sssil a mental image of the wagon holding the caravan's stores. He will most likely hunt around the camp, and come back after he has found food.

When Sssil tells the scarred male he is a noble, he notices the female in grey robes with the bright face scales hiss softly to herself and turn away from him. The scarred male doesnt notice this, however, and nods to Sssil. "Third house, huh? Your sire would be Thhissta, then? I once guarded a caravan of goods signed for by the Third House. Thhissta is a good hsssir. He actually cares about the plight of the common folk, payed us guards well and made sure we had adeqate supplies. Can't say that about most nobles."

"About me? Not much to say. My names Thessan. Me and my mate, Kallissa, have been caravan guards for many cycles." he says in response to Sssil's question, and motions to the very thin beige and black female next to him, who hisses in recognition. "Been all over Zaangaard, and even to mammal lands. Seen a lot of fighting. Seen a lot of things I dont ever wanna see again."

He falls silent for a second and looks around the fire, noticing the two sitting off by themselves. He leans forward and motions for Sssil to draw close, then whispers "Wonder what those two are up to. Pathfinder Kass seems good, although this is her first time out as pathfinder. Us experienced types should take it upon ourselves to make sure this trip goes as well as possible for her."

After speaking, he leans back and says in a normal voice "This is your first major trip out, huh, if you're on your hsssir test. Word of advice. Ive done this route before. Get some rest while you can, cause trust me, this first part is the easiest. It can get kinda...hectic later. There are da'lassk out in the swamps that dont like us city folk, and see a caravan as nothing more than a giant food-beast. So, rest while you can, cause unbroken rest is a good thing. Now, I'm gonna take my own advice and turn in. Nice meetin ya all."

As the lizar and his mate stand up to find a place to lay their bedrolls, there is a screech and a loud hiss from somewhere directly near one of the wagons, and Sssil feels a flash of triumph and then fear. Everyone looks up, and Sssil sees Hisssa with something large in his mouth slithering as fast as he can for the fire, and the safety of Sssil's armor pouch. Behind him is three giant swamp rats screeching as they go after him. As the snake gets closer, Sssil sees that what the snake is holding on to appears to be a baby swamp rat, still weakly kicking as Hisssa's venom takes its toll. The snake slithers up to Sssil and attempts to climb him, but he is struggling, as the rat he is carrying is nearly twice the size of his head. The three rats have reached the edge of the firelight, and Sssil can see that they are huge, and angry. The firelight reflects in their beady red eyes, and the lizar can see their overgrown yellow teeth. All the other guards jump up, and Sssil can hear hisses of disgust at the size of the beasts.

Sssil recieves a frantic mental image of the three rats and the baby gnawing a hole in a bag of dried meat in the supply wagon and feasting upon it, followed by a feeling that can only be translated as 'help me!".

K so the rolls are gonna be dependent on what you do. Just roll a d20, more if you want to try more than one action, and i'll apply the skill mods as needed. No combat yet although you are welcome to initiate it if you want to, and most of the other guards were startled, so you act first.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sssssil notes the odd behaviour in the woman, but does not know what to make of it. It just makes him a little bit more uncomfortable in a crowd, which he was already feeling anyway. Still, the lizar Thessan makes it a little easier, having pleasant words to say and take the pressure form Ssssil. Ssssil gives a thankful hiss regarding the kind words about his father, although Ssssil doens't really know what to think about it. He had not really thought about guards not being paid a fair wage elsewhere. Plus it was all very well to allow guiards to do their jobs and acknowlege them, but what about letting a son follow the path he was born to follow? Ssssil does not wish to intrude upon the thoughts that apparently have been stirred up as Thessan thinks on his experiences. The lizar looks back to the fire, embarrassed for such a simple question leading to it. This was another reason Ssssil hated words. It seemd no matter how innocuous they were, people had a way of twisting them to how they were thinking, instead of understandig what Ssssil was thinking. And this was after that person had sought out Ssssil's words! It was always stressful and confusing.

Ssssil is startled by Thessan coming out of his revelry and directing such a question regarding the other two lizar. Ssssil shrugs, having not thought much about their behaviour. Still, Thessan's words were true. It would be best to ensure the trip went as smoothly as possibly, and strange things were unpredicatab;e. As subtly as he could, he tried to work out the two. Will roll sense motive now, though really it's supposed to carry for the interactions with them for the next few sections (this confrontation, how they conduct themselves on the watch, and breakfast the next morning). Sense Motive (1d20-1=10) "Hasssta good lizar. Old tracker. I watch out for his interests, and interests of his scion," says Ssssil to Thessan quietly, nodding in agreement. Ssssil then thanks the guard for his advice, glad that his idea to catch unbroken sleep had apparently been a good instinct. Of course, the thoguht that there were da'lassk ready to attack the caravan might well not be condusive to his rest.

It appeared, of course, that Hissssa had other ideas. Still, Ssssil could not be angry that his friend had done what he'd asked him to. Ssssil instantly moved forwards to provide his friend with the aid he wished, grabbingboth serpeant and catch up so the poor serpant could finish the dash to the safety of the larger lizar, now that the larger rodents were after him. For a moment Ssssil was going to pull the baby rat out of Hissssa's mouth to throw back at the others, but then silently apologised to his friend. After all, Hissssa had earned his kill.

"Rats in our food! My friend draw them out!" said Ssssil with unaccustomed forthrightness. He felt embarrassed and defensive on behalf of Hissssa, and the words to protect his friend had sprung up before he had thought. Now he wished he had been quiet. It seemed that he needed to dig himself out of this hole, and quickly. "I draw them to me...come behind them and take them!" He said to the rest, not taking his eyes off the rats.

Ssssil cradled his friend protectively agaist his chest, but ensured the baby was still visible. Meanwhille, Ssssil scrambled for the tanglefoot bag he possessed. He barely used the things, unless the prey was particularly tricky and hardy. And in the space of a day, he was about to use both the ones he had! Still, for the moemnt he simply weighed it in his hands, ready to throw it if one of the rats either came too close to Hissssa, or of course darted towards one of the other guards. Neither seemed a pleasant thought right now.

Handle animal used to help pull focus on Ssssil, ready throwing acton at first rat that darts forwards to attack anyone. (1d20-2=9, 1d20+6=19)
raixel

Post by raixel »

God, sorry about the giant delay. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I feel like my arm has been cut off without a reliable net.

When the rats enter the firelight, Kass looks up in annoyance at the gasps and hisses of the startled guards.
"What is going on?!" she says, crossly. Upon seeing Sssil scooping up Hissa with the baby rat still clenched firmly in the reptile's jaws she stands up, apparently about ready to berate Sssil for allowing his snake to cause problems. Sssil shouts that the rats got in the food supply, and Kass abruptly changes her mind.

All three rats are bearing down directly on Sssil, their beady little eyes locked on the snake coiled around his neck. He throws the tanglefoot bag at the lead male, a huge ugly beast covered in pustules and weeping sores. It is a direct hit, and the bag breaks open right on the rat's chest. The disgusting creature squeals in ragwe, gnashing its yellowed teeth, as the sticky goo binds it to the ground. After a second of ineffectual struggling, the rat whips around and apparently starts gnawing on its own leg in an attempt to free itself. Growlgra snarls at the creatures and jumps up next to Sssil, pulling his long green stone knives. He stands ready, teeth bared, with a dagger in each hand.

"Get rid of them!" Kass yells at the stunned guards, who to Sssil's eyes seem frozen in an eerie tableu of flickering firelight and shadows. Thessan and his mate are the first to react, and Thessan steps behind the three while his mate stands off to the side, apparently moving her hands in mystical guestures. The female with the bright scales pulls a lon g dagger and jumps in next to Thessan, looking for an opening to attack, while the green and grey male Thessan was wrestling runs over to the supply wagon to make sure there are no other surprises. THe fat male and the dull brown female hang back, watching the action.

K. I need an init roll and first round action. This shouldnt take too long and I dont really wanna turn it intoa drawn out combat, so I'm gonna run it mostly narratively. Basically, there are three rats in front of you in a line, 10 feet away, The large male you hit with the bag is in the middle, being flanked by Thessan who is directly opposite from you. His mate is one square behind him and to the west, and the bright female is directly to his east. Kass is going to approach next round, but she had to stnad from prone this round. Growlgra is directly next to you, on the east, and Westian is a few squares behind you. Westian is just watching for now.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, understandable and horrible. IT's such a thing not to think about until it gets disconnetced, then you realise how many things you can't do or can't do as easily without it. Anyway, I'm off for the long weekend, so one less thing you need to use up your unstable net on for the time being!

Seeign the rodents move towards him, Sssssil was happy yet realised it was not a well thoguht out plan. They looked diseased and angry, and his fellow guards did not look as if they were instantl;y leaping to his aid. Now the creatures were were focused on him, and to move his friend away from the sight of Kass, Ssssil quikcly helped Hissssa to escape in to his armour. Of course, the baby rat probably wasn't going to fit, and would become a nice shoulder ornament until all this was over.

Sssssil looked at the pustules on the creatures, trying to work out if there was a possibility of disease with these creatures. Something far deadlier than just an injury.

Initiative and knowledge (nature) (1d20=5, 1d20=19) So initiative 4, but a check of 26 for recognising if these are plague caring critters). If they are, Ssssil will shout a warning to everyone to only attack the creatures at distance, and not engage them directly for fear of catching something. In general Sssssil will be constantly tryign to pull focus with the dead baby, but staying back, letting the rest of the guards attack. If focred to, Sssssil will try to wrestle the first rat thing and block other rat thigns from attacking him, sort of relying to Growlgra to have the skills to attack the rats if things get scary.
raixel

Post by raixel »

I'm posting now while its up. You can reply if you want, but I wont expect to see you back till after the weekend. Apparently, the info I got when I actually called the local store and not their "tech support" line is that someone nailed the cell phone tower (my net runs off of cell phone towers which is very convenient cuz my modems just a small box with 1 cord to plug it in. No other lines needed although I have it running wired cuz you get more bandwith that way) w/a vehicle and damaged it. Also explains why my cell phone has low bars and calls have been taking an extra min to connect as the phone has to hop to the next nearest tower. I live in an industrial district, so it makes me wonder how *big* of a viehicle it was. Coulda been a semi truck. Then I had a great convo with the guy about how shitty their service's tech support is. When I first called the support line, I started explaining about all the diagnostics I had been running, flushing the DNS cache, ect. But I stopped when the tech was just mumblimg uh-huh in a dull voice and reading to themselves (out loud!) what they were supposed to be telling me to do from their binder. The advice mainly consisted of "Check to make sure the cord that goes out of the modem is plugged into the wall socket. Is it?" Me: Are you shitting me!? Of course! "Ok, turn the modem off and turn it back on." Me: Um. Thats not gonna help. Joy. :D

Sssil looks at the rats, their angry eyes glittering like little red jewel in the firelight. They definately looked diseased, with their missing patches of fur, scabourous skin, and black goop around their jaws and nose. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to get any of the oozing ichor coming from their sores in an open wound or let them bite him. Whatever disease they were carrying ddnt seem to be affecting them, however. He realizes maybe picking up the baby rat wasn't such a good idea, but looking over it sees that its skin is clear, and it doesnt have the black crust around its nose and mouth that the adults had. Whatever food they got into should probably be checked too, and purified if possible. He yells this to the other guards, and they grimly nod, however given the waepons most of them are carrying now, it seems hard for them to attack at range.

Hisssa gratefully dives nto the pouch, tail first. He leaves his head out just enough to keep ahold of the baby, which flops limply around by Sssil's collarbone like a grotesque pendant. The other rats next to the lead male stop for a second as the tanglefoot bag explodes, seemingly startled. That doesnt last long, however, as one of them flips around as Thessan and the bright female moves up, and the other charges straight for Sssil and Growlgra.

ROUND 1

INIT
Kalissa- 15
Bright female 13 1/2
Thessan- 13
Rats (moving as one) - 12
Growlgra - 9
Sssil - 4

Kalissa finishes her spell and shouts "UMOHKATHRA" as a small bolt of electricity flies from her hand to strike the entangled male in the head. The rat screeches, and Sssil can see that one of its eyes has ruptured from the intense heat, the empty socket leaking goo down the side of its face. The robed female with the bright green scales thrusts at the rat attacking Thessan with a dagger long enough t be called a short-sword and hits it solidly in the back. Thessan pulls out a curved sword with a wickedly serrated edge and chops at the same rat, attempting to sever its head from its body. However the rat sees the blow coming and twists out of the way and the sword thunks uselessly into the dirt.

As Thessan attempts to pull his sword out of the ground, the rat he is fighting nimbly hops on the unsharpened back of the blade and runs up it to bite the warrior's unprotected hands. Thessan howls in pain and flings the beast away. The rat charging for Sssil leaps off of the ground easily, striking for Sssil's face. Sssil bats the rat away, but feels a burn as the rat's wickedly curved foreclaws find chinks in his armor as the beast scrabbles for purchase on his arm before being flung to the ground. You take two points of damage. The large male gives up chewing on the goo from the tanglefoot bag and glares at Sssil. This creature is obviously the dominant male of the group, as it is easily twice the size of the other two. Its one remaining eye glitters with something that perhaps could be intelligence or at least quite a bit of animal cunning. It opens its mouth wide, and Sssil can see the goo of the bag stretching around its chest as it inhales deeply and then vomits forth a slurry of black mucus at Sssil and Growlgra that steams with caustic vapors. Sssil feels the caustic slime burn through his thick skin, although his nictating membranes reflexively close to protect his eyes from the acidic slime, it still burns his nose. He hears Hisssa sneeze and drop the baby as he pulls his head in the armor pouch where he is protected. There is a small thud as the dead baby falls limply to the ground. Growlgra howls in pain as the rat's vile vomit Vile vomit = BEST SENTENCE EVAR! lands on his skin and burns his unprotected eyes and sensitive nose.You take 6 points of acid damage, but no penalties. Growlgra, however, wasnt so lucky.

Growlgra snarls in rage and stabs at the rat in front of him, eyes streaming from the attack of the lead male. Even though his vision is wavering, he howls in triumph as he feels the sharp green blade slide deep into the rat's body. He lets go of the blade, leaving it sticking up out of the now severly injured rat.

Sssil kicks the dead baby on the ground before stomping on it a few times, hissing at the rats to draw their attention and keep them away from the other guards. He can feel two pairs and one solitary eye staring at him in rage. The one fighting Thessan turns around to face him, and Thessan gives him a look as if to say 'Ready", meaning he will hit the rat in the back if it moves to attack Sssil.

K, so your ploy worked and all the guards (and you)get a +1 (to atk, dam, and AC)morale boost due to you stomping on the baby. The rats are also now focused soley on you and all of them will move to attack you next round, meaning there can be some AoO's. I think Sssil can safely assume these are not ordinary diseased swamp-rats. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Weird, it's been a week to get back to this :( Time flies! Hopefully all the net issues are now firmly behind you now! Especially if you have to deal with a -by the script' person. Sadly, of course, that script stops actual technical people havign to waste their time with people for whom that list is applicable.

Ssssil hisses at the acid spitting of the trapped creature, especially as the creature harms his friend Growlgra. The lizar steps forwards determinedly forwards angry. Growlgra was hurt by Ssssil tying to draw focus, and he won't let that happen again. He shifts to be on the lead rat's bad side, so that the creature won't be able to focus on him as well. Sssssil also simply instinctively wishes to kill the larger male, as the main kill, and also to break the other rats. Perhaps.

He unsheathes his short sword and axe, throwing the hand axe at the male rat's other eye to perhaps blind it or kill it. At worst, it will block it from spitting, hopefully.

Ranges attack roll with the hand axe (and damage if needed) (1d20=11, 1d6=3) Ranged attack roll, making 18 attack roll and 3 damage for hand axe. Can he take out the two weapons?

-8hp
raixel

Post by raixel »

I'm assuming the weaps are on a bandoleer or belt and are decently accessible, and having Improved two weapon fighting means you are trained at pulling both. So yeah, i'll let you use your move action to pull them. Question, are you calling the shot on the eye or just aiming in that area? You hit either way, I'm just curious.

Sssil steps forward to face the entangled male. He can see the close up view of the charred and blistered eye socket and the shine of bone underneath where the skin has burned off, a yellow goop from the eye running down the creature's face. The ruptured eye dangling from its optic nerve swings back and forth like a deflated balloon on a string as the ugly creature moves its head to try and track Sssil's movement with its one remaining eye. Sssil waits until the good eye is turned toward him and throws his axe. There is a wet squelch as the axe sinks into the side of the creature's flesh, and buries itself deep within the rat's brain. The male goes limp, although the glue from the bag keeps it from collapsing. The other rats let out loud shrieks as their leader falls and turn to run. Thessan strikes at the rat in front of him as it flees, neatly severing its hindquarters with his wickedly curved blade. The front half of the beast runs a few more feet dragging its entrails behind it, before collapsing to the ground. The other rat lets out a gurgling hiss at Growlgra, and Sssil can see black bubbles mixed with blood popping on its nose as it exhales.

Kalissa is rummaging in her bag for something, although Sssil isnt sure what. She comes up with a glass flask and begins to murmur a spell. The female with the odd face scales throws the dagger in her hand at the creature in front of Growlgra, but the dagger isnt weighted that well for thowing and it falls short. The rat turns to flee and Growlgra strikes out with his dagger, yelling something in his own harsh language. From the looks of it, Sssil realizes he is angry as the rat might run off with the other dagger still sticking up out of it like a pennant-pole. The dog man's eyes are nearly swollen shut from the fumes of the acid and the blow misses. The rat flees, and Growlgra gives chase, snarling angrily. He catches up with the creature and stabs at it again, this time pinning the beast to the ground through its back. The rat struggles for a few seconds and then goes limp as it dies.

Kass looks around at the group to make sure no one is severly injured, and then to the grey and green tough-looking male who ran to the supply wagon. "Theres no others in here. However, those rats got into a 3rd of the dried meat and other food supplies. It doesnt seem like they were eating it, just tearing holes in the bags and spitting that goop all over. And also, I found this." the grey and green male yells to Kass. He strides forward to the pathfinder and hands her an object. It is no bigger than the palm of her hand, and Sssil cant get a close look at it from where he is. The pathfinder looks at it for a few seconds before striding back over towards the main group by the fire. "Vaathi, Lisssak! Come in from watch for a second!" she yells to the guards on watch, who were guarding the perimiter of camp in case the rats got that far. The being in the heavy robes and the young grey and white male come over. Sssil has never heard of the name "Vaathi", and knows that it is not a lizar-souding name, therefore must belong to the yellow-eyed cloaked being. Once the two are close, Kass holds up the found object. It appears to be an oval white disk made of bone with some symbols engraved on it.

"I'm going to pass this around. Look at it and then pass it on. If anyone knows what it is or even has any idea about where it could have come from, please speak up. Dassrak found it in the wagon where the rats were." she tells the group as she hands the thing to Sssil, who is on her right. Looking closer at it, he sees a whitish oval disk made of bone about 4 inches across and an inch wide. Touching it, it feels strangly furry and warm in his hand. There are symbols burned on one side of it, and a hole bored through one end. One of the symbols could be a crude drawing of a rat, but the others mean nothing to the tracker, just squiggles and lines. Something about the object seems familiar.
Roll int to see what Sssil knows about it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Narratively was calling the shot as it seemed the logical attack Ssssil would make, rather than hoping I could actually get a mechanical called shot :D

Sssssil stood down from the attack, trying to hold Growlgra back for fear that his companion would get injured further in the assault. Growlgra seemed a fearsome warrior too though as well as a hunter. Ssssil quickly tried to help his friend after the battle, reaching for his water any herbs he had gathered, though not knowing if they would help the situation. However, Ssssil had not really had too much experience with such aggressive assaults. He'd always let another healer deal with those, and had been in too much pain to spot exactly what was occurring. And he'd never had to treat a companion before, being blinded once had meant Ssssil had undertaken what felt like a long journey under Hissssa's care. Sssssil hissed a quick question to his little friend, after chekcign the snake was alright now, to see if Hissssa knew of things he hated his own prey using against poisons and injury. (Knowledge (nature) check to recall anything with good properties against acid, and to aid the second Heal check to actually help heal Growlgra's eyes. (1d20=7, 1d20=2) Pretty meh rolls, knowledge 14 and heal check 11 even with a heal kit use :( Ssssil will try to use one of the blood moss herbs since he probably won't know of anything suitable.)

Ssssil takes his turn with the disk, sure he has seen such thigns before (Intelligence check for the disk (1d20-1=18) Woohoo!) He pulls out his own disk for purifying water, trying to see if there are any common features between the two to help. Ssssil then realises that Westian seems to be quite knowledgeable. Worried that this will require complex communication, Ssssil activates his translation stone as it has had the chance to recharge now. Ssssil moves to Westian, explaining everything he knows and exactly what hass been asked. He then gives the stone to Westian so that Westian can perfectly explain to Kass and the rest anything he might know.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Looking over the object in his hand, Sssil realizes it has a striking similarity to the anti-poison talisman given to him by the swamp lizar servant of his family, Jassk. He pulls the talisman out of his pouch and compares the two. Except for the differing symbols and the fact that the one found in the wagon is bigger, they are made the same. Sssil surmises that this talisman was crafted by swamp lizars. He examines the symbols closely and notices that he crude drawing of the rat is enclosed in a circle, with a little crook or tail coming out of the top of it. It looks like one of the symbols on his language stone. He remembers that the name for the symbol is 'EW', as that is one of the words he has to say when activating the language stone. Unfortunately, not being versed in the mgaic arts, he has no idea what the significance of the symbol could be.

Westian is standing next to him aiding Growlgra. The dog man seems to be in bad shape. His eyes are swollen shut, the skin around them angry and red. Globs of blacl goop still cling to him, although Westian is squirting water from a skin on the slime, succeeding in washing some of it away. Sssil notes that where the slime touched Growlgra, his fur has been singed off leaving the skin underneath blistered and purple. Sssil looks down at the black goop on himself in alarm, although he has felt no burning or other unpleasant sensation beyond the scorched lungs from the initial fumes of the blast. The b lack goo still clings to him, and although some of it did burn, his thick skin and scales appear to be doing a better job of protecting him from the effects than the mammal's fur. Kalissa finsihes chanting over her potion and steps forward, holding a bottle that appears to be nothing but pure water. However, when she uncorks it, water gushes out as if from a broken pipe. She aims the bottle at both Sssil and Growlgra, and the rush of water, far more than the bottle could hold, cleans the goop from them.

Westian nods his thanks to the lizar mage, and starts to say something when Sssil realizes this would be a good time to explain everything to him using the speaking-stone. The tracker activates the stone, and tells Westian what Kass said, as well as what he knows of the stone. The other lizar murmur amongst themselves at the revelation the stone was created by swamp lizar. Westian nods again and takes the stone to look it over while saying "Attend to Growlgra. I will call upon the grace of Lord Larethian to aid me in deciphering the meaning of this object." Sssil has no idea who this Lord is that Westian speaks of, but the reverence in his voice makes the tracker think that Westian holds this being in high esteem. Perhaps he is an Elven High Lord?

As Westian examines the stone, Sssil turns his attention to his other friend. Growlgra's body is vibrating oddly, and Sssil can hear a chattering noise coming from his mouth. Being cold blooded, lizar dont shiver or chatter their teeth to warm up ;)
"This one fears it has become ill. This one worries it will not be able to aid the pack and burden the lizar with its sickness." Growlgra says quietly through chattering teeth.

Hisssa seems alright, as the reinforced armor pouch did its job well and protected him from the acidic vomit. For all his teasing of the mammals, he feels concerned about the state of Growlgra. He knows nothing of the things Sssil asks him about, although Sssil gets a mental image of warmth radiating from the canine. Sssil realizes that being a viper, Hisssa can sense the heat from warm blooded creatures, and he is concerned that Growlgra appears hotter than usual. Ok, I know mechanically a viper's "heat pits" arent included, but I always figured that it was their "scent" ability. Sssil thinks on this, and knows that certain types of clay found in the swamp are very good at reducing damage from acid. However, he has no idea what to do with the clay once he finds it. Perhaps someone else might know? The bloodmoss would defnately help Growlgra's eyes, though, and Sssil instructs Growlgra to press it agianst his swollen eyes.You use one use of bloodmoss

Westian finishes his examination and says to Sssil "This energy of this stone was designed to control the rats somehow. At least that's what the EW symbol is there for. Other than that, I don't know, as my bond with Lord Larthian doesn't tell me anything else. Perhaps ask one of the others if anyone is versed in the wizardly arts? I will tend to Growlgra to the best of my abilities, although I am not far enough in my studies, nor has my bond with Lord Larethian grown strongly enough to actually cure him of any malady he may suffer."

Kass steps forward and looks Growlgra over. "I could never imagine such a small creature, and a mammal at that, could fight so well." she says, admiration evident in her voice. She holds her hand out to Hisssa for him to scent and speaks directly to the snake and Sssil. "Thank you, both of you. Had you not found them, they could have destroyed our entire food supply, forcing us to have to turn back to Makan. Your bravery saved us."
She then turns towards each indvidual who fought and thanks them, before turning back to Growlgra.

"I know you probably cant undrstand me, but I am concerned that the rat was sick or poisoned and somehow transferred that illness to you when it spat on you. Because of your heroics, even when injured, you aided us greatly. I pledge my aid and the aid of this caravan to seeing you well again." she tells the shivering sickly dog-man. This proclamation is followe by a hissing cheer from the guards, as Growlgra looks at Sssil in bewilderment. Sssil notices that although they cheered with the rest, the fat lizar and drab brown female are standing off to the side, away from the main group and close to the wagons.

"What did the alpha say that made the others howl?" Growlgra asks Sssil. The canine removes one of the bloodmoss packs from his eye to look at Sssil, and the tracker can see that the moss has helped, and the swelling has abated just enough that Sssil can see a sliver of Growlgra's dark eye. The dog man seems afraid, as if his infirmary will cause him to be removed from the caravan.

K, I'm gonna stop there to keep this post from going over long and allow Sssil to react.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ssssil tries to reassure Growlgra that there is no reason to fear. Sssssil will not let anything happen to the hunter. Sssssil becomes thankful that he Kass goes to even greater lengths than that, not only praising the hunter but also pledging her support to curing him.

Of course, this is tempered by the fact she thinks he has a diseases. Ssssil does not wish to lie to his new friend, and so while he makes it clear exactly how much he has impressed the pathfinder, and that the caravan is pledged to cure him, there may also be something more wrong than just the acidic damage. Ssssil nods happily at Growlgra as the rest cheer, explainign the reason and hoping Growlgra will be bouyed by the support of the guards, and not weighed down by his affliction. It is hard to explain the honour of being so accepted by the lizars, without acknowledging the insulting regard of most mammals to the lizar aswell. Sssssil pledges to stand by Grolwgra's side, in returnfor Growlgra having instantly come to Sssssil's side.

Before Kass leaves Growlgra and Ssssil, the lizar quietly says to both. "What I say earlier, about deliberately using my friend to hunt for rat not true. I just let him go hunting, and he brought back baby. Did not want to embarrass friend in front of all guards, but do not wish you to think better of me than I deserve. Not with your wounds," says Ssssil, nodding to Growlgra, "not with you being leader," he saus to Kass.

Ssssil looks alittle uncomfortable admitting the truth, and cradles his armour as if to physically protect Hissssa from any anger that the revelation may have caused.
raixel

Post by raixel »

"If the lizar could tell the alpha that this one is pleased to help the pack, this one would be grateful." Growlgra says when Sssil explains what is going on. The dog-man nods when Sssil mentions that he might be sick. "Yes. This one fears that it has taken sick. But, do nt worry. This one will still aid the pack to the best of its ability and will not be a burden. If the illness it spreadable, this one will leave, so as not to endanger the rest of the pack."

Growlgra seems far more concerned with being a burden to the 'pack', as he calls it, then any actual illness he may have. It is a very un-lizar like attitude to have, and it makes Sssil wonder about the beliefs of Growlgra's people. Westian finishes his examination of the bone amulet and tries to offer it to Growlgra, who shrugs and waves it off as he wouldnt be able to see it clearly.Westian then passes it to Thessan, who looks it over for just a few seconds before passing it on to his mate and shrugging. The elf walks up and examines Growlgra closely.

"Whatever that moss is sure is doing a good job of leaching the poison from your eyes." the elf remarks to the injured bika. "I wonder, would a tea or infusion purge the poison from your body?"

You can roll know nature or survival to determine if you have ever heard of bloodmoss being used like that.

As the elf examines Growlgra, muttering to himself about what he sees, Sssil turns to Kass and tells her that he really didnt intend to have Hissa hunt the rats, it just kind of happened. The pathfinder looks at him in astonishment for a few seconds, and Sssil braces himself for the rage he is sure will follow. To his surprse, Kass claps him on the shoulder and chuckles. "Modest, arent you? Well, whether or not it was intended, your snake had the good sense to go that way to hunt. It is the result that matters, not the intention. Whether or not it was 'on purpose' is irrelevant. Your actions still helped save the day, and for that you and your compa1nion deserve the mention of what you did." she tells him, still shaking her head in amusement.

Everyone in the caravan has looked at the disk of bone, and Kass turns to address them, but then stops and turns back. "Look." she begins. "Perhaps no one ever has said this to you, but it was something my sire taught me, so I thought you'd benefit from hearing it. My sire taught me that every being has its place, its strength, and its weaknesses. You mght not be the fastest, or the smartest, or the strongest. But you have your own strengths. Don't deny them, and dont let people force you into something youre not. You shouldnt sell yourself short. Be proud of your actions when you do good, and learn from your mistakes when you fail."

The pathfinder grins at him, seemingly embarressed at allowing her gruff demeanor to slip. Sssil can see Hasssta in her face and mannerisms, and easily pictures the old tracker imparting the same lesson to a younger Kass.

Kass turns to the clustered group of guards and yells "Alright! Everyone gather round and share if you learned anything! Dont be afraid to speak up, if you have any knowledge, no matter how small. Perhaps we can figure out how this thing ended up in our supply wagon and why."

The guadrs move in closer, and Kass waits for everyone to assemble before nodding. "So, to begin. Sssil has reason to believe that the talisman is of swamp lizar manufacture. Does anyone have anything further to add?" she asks.

Westian steps forward and thinks for a minute, then says, "I think that the talisman would somehow control or affect the rat's behavior." To Sssil, he sounds totally normal, however from the looks on the faces of the other guards, his accent is making him hard to understand. The guards all stare at each other and Kass, no one wanting to step forward and try to explain the cleric's words. Finally, Thessan steps forward and says "I know some small speech of the mammal's trade tongue. Perhaps I could translate?"

Sssil realizes none of the other guards know that he has the language-stone and that Westian's speech is perfectly clear. It might be easier for him to translate then have Thessan try and use a tongue he is mostly unfamiliar with.

Finally, to break the stalemate, Kass nods "Alright, why dont we come back to you once everyone says their findings. That way we can have a dedicated translator so you input isnt lost." she says to Westian. Sssil seems surprised that the pathfinder values the mammals input, after the dismissive way she treated them in Hassta's yard. Westian nods and shows his teeth, before letting his face fall. Kass blinks at him, but apparently just assumes it is some mammal custom.

Thessans mate, Kalisssa the mage, steps forward and says "I have cast a spell on the object. It appears that the talisman was used to draw or summon the rats to its location, namely the food wagon."

The heavily cloaked guard, Vaathi, steps forward as well and says "Yessss. That isss alssso what my ssstudiesss of the object have revealed. I alsssso believe that there isss a component of it that changesss the ratsss in sssome way. But how, I do not know."

Sssil is surprised at the being's voice. It is speaking Zaagaardian, although in a different dialect. Its voice is dry and sibilant, and reminds him of the sound his scales make when they brush against leaves in the swamp. Kass nods at the two and says "Is there anything else?" The other guards look around, and shrug to each other. Kass nods and says "Good. So, we know now that the talisman is of swamp lizar make, and was designed to draw them to the food supply, where they would ruin it, or perhaps poison us. I can only imagine what would have happened if Sssil's snake hadn't found them, or found them much later. Now, the question is, how did it get there, and if someone did put it there, for what purpose? Obviously they wanted to harrm the caravan, but why? I have gone over the cargo list, and it was not mentioned there. So it was either placed secretly before we left, or someone snuck in and put it there."

She turns to Sssil and Growlgra, who is standing next to Sssil, still making that chattering sound and looking miserable. "You two saw no sign of anyone on your watch? And your snake found it very shortly after you came back, so it must have been placed before hand as it would have had to give enough time to attract the rats." the pathfinder muses.

"Not nessicarily." says Kalisssa. "It could have summoned them, through some trigger such as the sun going down or moon rising. Many dark spells are tied to the rising of the dark moon, Zosar."

Kass thinks on that. "Alright, so perhaps the rats were summoned. In that case, could you know if it might keep happenning? Also, someone still had to put it there. I think we should look around the wagon for anything unusual." she says.

"No, fortunately its magic is used up," replies Kalisssa. "The energies i sense from it are the residual ones. I wouldnt acutually be surprised if it crumbles away at first light. I will make a sketch of it, in case that happens."

"Do that. Alright, so heres what I want done. Anyone who has tracking skills, please go to the wagon and search the area. If you find anything interesting, let me know. Vaathi, Lissssak, go ahead and continue your watch. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious. After the wagon and surrounding area is searched, if I could have voluenteers to catalog and sort the remaining food, it would be appreciated." the pathfinder announces.

Westian speaks up. "I have a small spell. It may help save some of the damaged food."

Kass sighs. "And could someone please help with the translation so that we know what the mammals found and they know what our plan is? Alright, lets get to work! Due to this we wil be getting a late start so everyone can get decent rest, but it cant be helped. If someone is out to harm the caravan, I need you all at your best."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ssssil passes on Growlgra's message as best as he can, and in return tells Growlgra that lizar society is not as his pack, and that it is understandable and encouraged for individuals to rate their own health above others. After all, it makes the whole society stronger if each individual is pushing to be their best. Unless that's not what Lizar society is about, in which case Ssssil is just misinformaed in his own attitudes and showing his remoteness :) Ssssil reminds GRowlgra with some humour that they still have those hides, and that if the hunter requires more skin and fur, then he could use those.

Ssssil hears the comment regarding the blood moss, and is glad it is helping his friend. However, the thoughts on boiling it seem...unwise. He knows potion makers do strange thigns to various herbs, but surely blood moss is powerful in its own right? Instinctively it would seem to burn out the goodness of it to boil it in water. Still, he has done and tried many strange thigns out in the wild, while bored or trying ot concoct strange cures on his own. (Yeah, rolled a nat 20 on survival, so that should be good :) Survival check regarding uses of bloodmoss (1d20+15=35))

Ssssil feels a little bit uncomfortable again putting himself to the centre of attention, especially when he thought his life as a guard would be relaxing and allow him to blend in to the background. Still, to see Kass not look at him with revulsion, and offer him advice as Hassssta himself had probably offered her, gives Ssssil an unaccustomed warm feeling. While some of the guards are still strange, Ssssil already feels like part of a group - perhaps the pack that Growlgra speaks of. It seems strange that Sssssil barely knew any of these people a day ago, and yet feels welcome in their presence. An odd contrast to how he sometimes feels in his own home. So Ssssil thanks the speaker who offered to talk, but instead translates exactly what Westian has said, in turn indicating that the other guard knows the mammal languages if there is a concept that does not translate well. Ssssil also tries to speak to Westian privately, while the language stone aids him, and asks if Westian knows of anything that would make Growlgra more comfortable. And also makes sure Westian knows the full extend of the problems Growlgra might have.

Ssssil makes sure to reassure Hissssa that he is still of course Sssssil's most important friend, going so far as to flick excess bloodmoss in Hissssa's face in pay back for the deer guts earlier. Of course, Ssssil also reassures his friend that Hissssa can go hunting the second mouse tonight in the cage, once everyone else has settled down. That is, of course, assuming Hissssa still feels like playing with unknown mice after the night's excitement!

If Grolwgra is staying put, Ssssil will ask if hye can watch Hissssa and let him feed from the cage. If Grolwgra will move forwards to help, then Sssssil will apologise to his friend and leave the cage for later. I assume Westian at least is going to the food wagon right away, Ssssil will encourage this and go there as quick as possible to get the freshest tracks he can. He will also offer to translate for whoever is with him - either just Westian, or Westian and Grolwgra. Survival check for tracking is 27, not the nat 1 I predicted :) url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3070665/]Survival check regarding tracking movement around the food (watch this be a nat 1) (1d20+17=27)[/url]
raixel

Post by raixel »

As far as lizar society, I think you pretty much got it. I've kinda crafted the social aspects on Asian culture, except not *quite* so group oriented. More like exactly what you said, so you can bring honor to yourself and your family.

Growlgra chuckles at the comment about the hides and says "Yes, and they would be less cracked than this one's skin."

Sssil thinks on any other ways to use bloodmoss that he knows and suddenly remembers a passing comment he heard one night when he shared a camp with a friendly swamp lizar shaman and her tracker escort he encountered when they were gathering herbs way out in the middle of the swamp. This usage is unknown to Makan lizar, but apparently if you take the moss, mix it with the resinous juice of the gesh leaf and then swallow the resulting pellet, it will aid the body's strength in fighting off an illness. Problem was, gesh was very rare and did not grow around here in the dryer areas around Makan, as it needed a few feet standing water to thrive. However, he remembers reading during that awful "Theory of Mana Energy in Native Plantlife" class his father made him take so he would be a well-rounded noble, it was also used in many magical preperations and its possible the mages of the group might have a leaf or an extract of the juice. If they only had the dried leaf, unfortunately it would need to be steeped in water to extract its resin and its power would be halved. But, it was better than watching his friend suffer and perhaps grow sicker. God, the DC of that roll was so high, I though even Sssil would be lucky to get just the most basic info. (as this information is very esoteric, only known to swamp lizar shamen) Instead, you aced it. :)

In response to Sssil's question, Westian sighs and says "Were we in my native lands, I could help Growlgra. However, I am out of my element here, and I have not progressed in my studies enough to purge the body of disease with magic. I am sorry. The most I can do is keep him comfortable, and perhaps delay the spread of the illness."

Sssil translates the conversation to Westian, and the other guards look surprised to hear Sssil speaking Zaangaardian, and Westian answering in his native tongue. But no one says anything and Kass looks relieved the translation problem is solved for now. She nods at Westian's offer to see if he could use his skills to repair some of the damage to the supplies and then says "Alright, you all know your tasks. Before we leave in the morning, we will have a brief discussion of the results of the nights search. Dismissed."

Hissssa sneezes at the bloodmoss smell tickling his sensitive tongue and takes off in the direction of the wagon, apparently to aid with the search. He seems far more interested in helping then eating for now, and really seemed to enjoy the praise and being the center of attention for finding the rats. A mental image of what the snake saw when he first entered the supply wagon appears in Sssil's mind. The image is distorted and composed of what looks like heat shimmers in the shape of (to Hissssa) gargatuan rats next to a much less shimmery crate, with torn up bags and dried meat and other foodstuffs on the floor, as Hisssa was using his heat-sight to see in the dark wagon. In the vision the three large rats are tearing open the bags and consuming as much of the food as they can while the baby sits behind, nibbling on whatever falls close enough to it. Sssl can see what look like strings of slightly less warm drool trailing out of their mouths all over the spilled food, probably the black acidic goop that made Growlgra sick.If you want to use the image to look for anything unusual, you can roll a perception. However you will take a =4 penalty due to it being based in a sense you dont have, and is an image from a snake.

The guards split up, with Lissssak and Vaathi going back to their watch, and the non-trackers returning to the fire. Westian joins Sssil, Growlgra, and the green and grey male, Dassrak, who originally found the token. Sssil notices the bright-scaled female seems to want to go too, but appears apprehensive about something. Eventually she also joins the group, but keeps herself well away from Sssil.

It is a short walk to the wagon. Once there, Sssil sees Hisssa exploring near the closest rear wheel. Dassrak pulls back the tented canvas tarp set up over the wagon to keep the morning dew and potential rain off of the supplies, and an acrid and spoiled stench greets Sssil's nose. Inside the wagon, a black goop coats most of everything. The dried meat laying in the puddles has turned a nasty greyish green and smells of rot. The grains and vegetables are just a gooey mass. Westian looks raound at the devastation witha sickened look.

"I dont know how much of this I can save with the grace of Lord Larethian. I will try though." he says, as he stepped towards a black stained, but unopened, canvas sack of dried grain.

As Westian works, Dasssrak points to a corner of the wagon by the front end. "That is where the token was, attached to the side of that crate right there. Sssil examines the area. Interestingly, there is a perfect circle about twice the size of talisman of grey ash on the side of the crate where Dassrak said the talisman was found.. Sssil touches it, and it crumbles in his hand, exposing the dried meat inside. It seems that the force of the magic burned the hole.

"The canvas was still tied down when I got here, and I couldnt see any holes big enough for rats of those size to get in." remarks Dassrak.

Sssil goes outside and looks around the wagon as Westian begins to chant mystic-sounding syllables and pray to some High Lord while touching the laest-ruined food. Examining the area, he can see the tracks he and Growlgra left on their watch, as well as the tracks of Lissssak and Vaathi about 8 feet outside of the circled wagon. There is one set of tracks leading from the wagon to the fire, but Sssil surmises that those were made by the cook as he went to get supplies. Walking around the wagon, Sssil can see no tracks, rat or otherwise, leading up to it. The only rat tracks he can find are heading towards the fire, with little squiggles that are Hisssa's tracks directly in front of them.

Kass strolls up and says "Well? What did you find?"

K, go ahead and tell Kass what Sssil thinks happened here. Dassrak and the female will also throw in their findings. Growlgra mostly just seems to be following you, but isnt really looking around as he is very ill. Westian is busy inside, but Sssil has no idea what he's doing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*does a little dance for nat 20s at the right time* Had hoped to start building up some speed here, but need to get stuff done for tomorrow, so guess will have to post tomorrow evening instead :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ssssil shared a grin with Growwlgra, althoguh of course it was the automatic grin that all mammals seemed to share. Ssssil himslf was worried for the small hunter, especially since Westian did not seem to be able to help. Ssssil was unused to feeling this way - both this much concern for others, and feeling responsible too. Usually he was happy to simply be responsible for his own wellbeing, and of course Hissssa's. That was understandable. Instead, it felt odd that he had started to feel so strongly about those around him. It highllighted how shut off from a real, likeminded community he had been. He had thought himself a loner, liking the swamp and the simplicity of tracking. No he realised he had simply prefered being alone to being forced in to city life and his duties under his nobility.

Ssssil really did not want to be alone, and be responsible for himself alones. He really just wanted to be part of a group, and helping. Of course, it seemed a cruel irony that even when you were part of a group, all of a sudden you could become responsible for another member, and feel this aggitated. Ssssil's mind worked so fast, looking for any information, scrap of knowledge, anything to stop feeling liek this. Amazingly, instead of freezing, his mind worked faster than it had for a while. Scraps of conversations, odd snippets he never thought he'd need ot know came to him. Mages! He never thought he would be with mages, ever. Fanciful herbs he did not think he would ever need to know about, as a swamp would never yield them, were suddenly in his reach, He hoped.

Ssssil felt a little ill about approaching mages. He did not understand their ways, and their magics frightened him. He tried to reassure himself that benign magics such as the smoker had done great good, and were almost natural and normal. Still, other magics had summoned rats from nowhere to attack the group. Lightning had struck those rats. No, magic was still terrifying, and those who proactised it were... strange.

Therefore, despite the rush of thoughts in Ssssil's mind, all the justifications and arguments he could perhaps think of on behalf of his new friend, all that came out as he very hesitatnly approcahed each mage was a single, very quite word. "Gesh."

OOC: I'll let you retcon the reactions of the various mages to this. I wonder if they'll be amused or dismissive? I wonder if anyone else aroudn will come forward to see wha it's about. Ssssil might mention the reason more obviously to one of the other guards such as Thessan.

Ssssil is always amazed, and a little confused, by Hissssa's vision when his small friend allows him to see throug hhis eyes. This time though, it seems easier. Perhaps it is because Ssssil is only seeing memories and not real time visions. Ssssil can slow down what he is seeing, and appreciated it. Ssssil is more concerned with the edges of Hissssa's vision. While his friend has been focused on his hunt, and on sneaking the baby away from the rest, Sssssil tries to appreciate what is elsewhere. Can Ssssil see the shadow of someone standing close? Can he see some residual heat where there should be none> Or should there be movement from the guards, that is not in his friend's vision? Rolled the pretty decent 20 (19+1) so hopefully Ssssil noticed something odd. Perception on Hissssa's heat vision (+4 bonus to be added if evil humans involved :D) (1d20+1=20)

Sssssil is happy to respect the bright-scaled female's privacy, being a shy and hesitant lizar himself. Still, such nervousness regarding Sssssil piques his curiosity. Ssssil is soon lost in his own tracking, trying to tie in the knowldge he and the others have imparted, and growing frustrated with finding nothing. Still, Sssssil knows tracking. The less he finds, the more he decides that is not a failure in his own skills.No, that probably means something, in and of itself.

"I don't see anything unusual. An unusual thing happened here. That makes no tracks unsusual, doens't it?" he tries to explain to Kass. Ssssil explains the larger hole generated by the talisman, and also the factthat the only tracks are the cook's. Ssssil does suggest someone very clever could walk backwards in someone else's tracks, but he has no evidence that happened. Really, Ssssil is stumped, and looks to Kass and Growlgra - after he explains to Growlgra what he found - for any insight. Ssssil hopes to distract Growlgra from his own concerns with the mystery, plus he is starting to respect the hunter's own experiences.

Will roll a raw int check to see if Ssssil can realise something my slow brain has missed! And lol, I guess Sssssil and his player are of one (blank) mind here! Int check for Ssssil and the evidence around the wagon (1d20-1=2)
raixel

Post by raixel »

Oh, btw, I forgot to mention that I consider darkvision much more like the infravision of second edition. I HATE that they changed it, infravision is much more realistic and cool then 'you can just see in the dark in black and white'. Mechanically, it makes no difference, but narratively, I always describe darkvision in terms of infravision.

Sssil concentrates on the vision sent to him by Hisssa. It is hard to look for distinct things, as everything that has no direct heat appears as many different shades of an indistinct grey blue. He can see the form of the rats clearly, the edges of their bodies wavering like heat-shimmers. The talisman itself is glowing dull yellow. The symbols on it suddenly flare to bright white, and Sssil sees that as it flares, the rats start eating faster, tearing their way through crates and bags at a tremendous rate. A lance of bright white heat probably not visible to the naked eye flares out from the symbol and envelops the three adult rats. When it touches them, Sssil can see that their forms become even more diseased and twisted. Orange spurts of warmth fly out of their backs as more disgusting pustules erupt along their bodies and spray puss into the air. The large male falls to the ground, convulsing and frothing at the mouth, the bubbly black ichor spilling all over the food scattered around.

Oddly enough, Sssil notices taht there are no heat-prints on the side of the wagon. All of the heat-trails left by the rats are on the far side near the talisman. The talisman's light begins to die, and the vision abruptly lurches as Hisssa strikes and catches the baby. The baby squeals, and three sets of glowing eyes turn to face the snake. There is another lurch and a sensation of movement as Hisssa slips through a gap in the tarp.

It takes a second for the rats to tear their way through the tarp and Hissa uses that time to look for safety. He frantically looks outward into the swamp before turning to flee towards the glowing white ball that is the campfire. Strangely, Sssil swears he can see two pinpoints of light out in the swamp, set at a distance apart that makes them seem to be eyes of a creature using a form of night-sight of about lizar height. They are far enough away that a being without night-vision, wouldnt be able to tell thre was someone there at all. The eyes appear to be staring directly at the caravan's wagons. The vision ends, and Ssil comes back to himself, heart pounding with the residual adrenaline of Hisssa's fear.

Sssil expalins his strange findings Kass and Growlgra and the dog man nods. "This one did not find any prey-trails, as well. Nor any signs that the food-carrier was touched. It seems very strange."

"It does make it very unusual," says Kass in respose to Sssil, a troubled look on her face."I would think there would be tracks of something, whether rat or lizar." She frowns, looking from Sssil and Growlgra to Dassrak and the bright-scaled female. "That means that the rats had to have been summoned by the object, but more importantly, that someone had to have placed the object there before we stopped for the night. Possibly even before we left Makan. My sire hires guards to watch the yard when there are goods being loaded, so it wouldnt have been easy for an unknown hsssir to sneak in. Perhaps one of the wrorkers was payed off, I don't know. In any case, keep this in mind."

Dassrak and the female turn to leave, and Kass waits until they are out of earshot before motioning to Sssil and Growlgra to step closer.
"My sire has vouched for you, so I am trusting you with this. I have reason to suspect that one of the people in this caravan is working for someone or a group of someones that does not wish us to make it to our destination. The only people not under suspicion are Thessan and Kalisssa, as my sire has worked with them for many cycles and are completely trustworthy. The rest, I am not sure of." Her tough persona slips, and Ssssil can see fear in her eyes or just a second. "I would ask you to heelp me with this, find out who is working for the enemy, and why they dont want us to make it to our destination. I am sure that these attacks wil continue, and may go from trying to disable the caravan to outright killing. Be prepared for anything." she whispers to Sssil.

Ksss leaves, and Sssil is left there standing with Growlgra, who looks very ill. "This one wishes to hunt the sleep-plains." the bika says simply, before going back to the fire to grab his bedroll. He walks back and sets up his bedding right next to the storage wagon. "This one will lay here, the lizar is welcome to join. That way if the not-pack ones come to try and hunt our food agan, this one will hear."

The canine hunter must be exhausted, as he closes his eyes and falls asleep nearly instantly. In his sleep, he twitches, obviously in pain from his sickness. Sssil can still hear chanting coming out from under the wagon's tarp as Westian does his best to save what he can of the food supply. The lizar realizes taht now would be a good time to talk to the mages and see if they can get him some gesh resin, as Vaathi and Lisssak should be back in from their watch. He walks towards the fire and sees Kalisssa and Vaathi sitting together, obviously deep in conversation. As he approaches, he hears Vaathi say "No, you ssssee, in my people'sss beliefsss the fundemental energy of VI is that of life, and not water. Although it doesssn't change how the mana itssself works, we have been able to develop sssspellss that you lizzzar do not have."

"Interesting" says Kalisssa. "I would love it if you taught me one of these spells. In return I will explain to you how we lizar view the interaction of the elements of VI and RA as the basis for..." She stops when she sees Sssil.

"Greetings, Sssil. I hope your hunt goes well." says Kalissa. "What brings you to us?"

Sssil means to explain his thoughs on helping Growlgra, however seeing Vaathi's odd golden eyes staring intently at him from the depths of its hood makes him nervous. In his minds eye, he sees the lightning striking the rat, and its eye exploding, spraying its vitreous fluid all over and flling the air with the scent of scorched flesh and hair. Fully intending to explain what the swamp-lizar shaman told him, he instead manages to croak out a single word.

Kalissa and Vaathi look at each other bemusedly.

"What? Gesh? It doesnt grow around here. Why are you saying 'gesh?" Kalissa asks, confusion evident all over her features. Thessan looks up frm where he is cleaning his wickedly serrated blade nearby.

"Isn't gesh a plant you use in a coupkle of your spells, my mate?" he asks.

"Yes...but..." Kalissa's nictating membranes slide across her eyes, similar to a human shaking their head when they dont understand something.. "Are you askin me about it? I don't see what use a non-mage would have for it, as there are no known uses of it besides its energy for spells." she tells Sssil
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not sure my opinions on infravision, to be honest I'd half-forgotten it existed, preferring the low light and dark vision for siplicity. Still, you are the boss, and more importantly it's fun to see it again!

Sssssil is surprised that Kass is speakign to him so candidly, and is further uplifted by the fact Hassssta apparently thinks well of the lizar too. Such pride and consideration is at odds with how Ssssil is treated by his own family. And sadly, is not the usual one shown to mammals such as Gwowlgra. That thoguht tempers Ssssil's delight a little, more so when he seems how sick Growlgra looks. However, those thoughts drift in Ssssil's head. Kass's strong words and confidence in Ssssil given the lizar courage to speak of a half formed plan. Still, it is a little embarrassing to speka of some of the thoughts. "My family think I late in taking my hissssir test. Not think tracking and the hunt best for noble." Ssssil decides it is too embarrassing to admit he is a scion, and exactly his age. "Perhaops...if you need to lure out someone...you need to make it sound as if you not trust me, then?" He says it sadly, recalling how everyone cheered for him and forgave him for what occurred. He had expected to be reviled, and it is a little scary and unsettling to actively be contemplating looking for this.

"Perhaps you should pretend to be angry. Pretend to find out only now my friend brought rats to us. Be angry we not find anything, when clearly there must be tracks that we have disturbed. Maybe say you realise I noble that will fail Hissir test, you have anything to do with it." Sssil felt uncomfortable that he had drawn Hissssa in to this, and protectively rested his arms where his friend was beneathhis armour. He then looked guiltily to Growlgra, looking for the bika's agreement and understanding while the translation pendant still worked. "Perhaps also say you not trust non-lizar mammal to hunt. That his disdease his own fault, and he be cast out when tooweak." Ssssil then once more assured Growlgra this was not the case, and looked to Kass for reassurance it was not. "If...if you give us bad jobs on edge of wagon, if look like punishment, but we can still look ahead for danger. And maybe someone in caravan will approach us, try to turn us against you, assuming we would want to?"

After Ssssilhas discussed his shaky and emotionally upsetting plan with Kass, Sssssil realises he needs to find the gesh leaf quickly before the wagon turns against him. Of course, his nerves are even worse due to his worry over the plan, and over what peopel will soon think of him. Ssssil amost moves away embarrassed, but is more embarrassed to think of poor Growlgra dying because Ssssil was too afraid to speak. "Herb. Mix with bloodmoss. Cure...rat disease. SWamp lizar...discover it." Ssssil decides it might not be best to completely mention it being only for Growlgra. Ssssil also wonders if it might have been better to find Westian, and get the tall mammal to get the leaf instead. He seemed to be beter with words, especially in the brief window of time the pendant had left - a few scant moments left.

Heh, I'm assuming a completely obscure cure, one that a common swamp lizar not a rea Makan lizar knows, is not the most compelling case for a wizard to give over hard found rare herbs. Especially when the lizar makign the arguemnt barely speaks more than a few words of explanation. So yeah, maybe need to get Westian and his silve tonguein here before that tongue willbe turned in to a punkin! Assumign the pendant transfersliek that, and isn't bound to the person who activated it?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Crap. I hadnt really thought about if the effects of the pendant transfer while it is activated. I have an argument for that, and against it. Mechanically, its just a simple 'tongues' spell that allows more than one spoken language for an hour on the person wearing it. So, if it was indeed a spell afftecting the person wearing it, obviously it could not be transfered while activated. However, narratively it is the pendant *itself* that provides the translation, in keeping with the flavor of DM magic items (why a tinny voice comes out of it and it buzzes against Sssil's throat when it "speaks"). Eh, even though (i believe) if you use an item with a lasting magical effect than transfer it in DM, the effect stays on the original char, I think for ease of communication, im going to allow it considering 1 major NPC doesnt speak the language at all, and the other one basically only understands it.

Sssil explains his plan and his past to Kass, and the pathfinder taps her index claw against her teeth as she thinks over the implications.

"It is a good plan, and may possibly work.," she says finally,. "However, are you sure you are willing to take that risk? It could be very hard on you, being under that much suspicion. Someone might decide that you are the traitor and take matters into their own hands. You could be hurt or even killed. I would suggest that if we decide to do this, we let Thessan and Kalissa knowwhats going on as well. Like I said before, they are completely trustworthy as they have worked with my sire for many cycles. Another option would be to "kick you out of the caravan" and then you could follow along discreetly behnd, keeping an eye on the movements of the others.

She notices Sssil's embarrasment and grins. "Dont be embarrased just because you arent what your sire wanted you to be. Personally, I find it refreshing that you are nothing llke other nobles. My sire never would have helped you if you were a "normal" noble, as he can barely tolerate them. Don't sell yourself short. The fact that you came up with this plan and are willing to see it through speaks volumes about your true character. Why dont you explain the plan to the mammals and see what they think. We should let them decide if they want to put themselves at risk that much. So, talk to them and then come find me when you've decided what you want to do. I'll most likely be by the fire planning out the path for tomorrow."

The pathfinder nods at him and Grolwgra, and goes off to make rounds of the camp. Growlgra, who could only understand Sssil's part of the conversation, appears pensive.

"This one thinks that the lizar's plan could work. However, this one is worried about its heart-friend becoming hurt by the lizar who think this one has betrayed the pack. In this one's birth pack, to betray the pack is the worst offense one of the pack can commit. To have no pack, is to not exist. When this one left its birth pack, this one's heart cried. But it was written on the moon, that the one of no balance was rising, and this one was chosen to warn the grass eaters." The dog man smiles ruefully at a thought that seems to amuse him. "So, this one left the pack, to help the pack. But, this one is not exiled and can come back to the birth pack when its hunt is over, and many songs will be sung to the moon about the hunt of this one. Whatever the lizar chooses, this one will stand beside it."

Talking to the mages:

Kalisssa frowns. "A da'lahssk told you that gesh mixed with bloodmoss heals sickness? Yes, and they also believe that ground swamp slime jelly is a cure for impotence. I have never heard of this. I am sorry, but the herb is too precious to waste on swamp-lizar superstition."

Sssil looks over to the supply wagon and sees Westian crawling out from under the tarp. Oddly enough, the mammal's eyes have large black circles under them that were not there before and he is moving very slowly. He climbs down frm the wagon and leans against it for a second before looking around. Spotting Sssil, he waves and starts walking toward him.

"Hoi Sssil!" he calls. "What are you doing? I think I managed to save half of the ruined food with my magic, but it sure took alot out of me. I think I'm goiong to go rest now."

Ok, so you could roll a diplomacy and try and get her to change her mind or ask Westian.