What the... Snow in June, then in August!

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: What the... Snow in June, then in August!

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

it really doesn't matter , people are insane anyway :)
well, here is the insanity,... we know cars pump out CO2, we still use them, those people who drive a car are insane, because they know its got the greenhouse gases coming out of its tailpipe, people who take vacations to enjoy themselves are insane, too. they know the planes ( millions of people in the sky at any one moment (stats). all these people must be viewed insane, because they know what it is doing, and not only that, they are using the fossil fuels with ignorance. to me, insane is when you cut off cheap energies that are natural, basically putting a choke hold on the poor, that is insane to me, we can scrub coal to make it as clean as natural gas, we don't do it as best we can because of its cost. when people don't work and get desperate they do even worse things. take dumping for example, if they raise the cost of garbage too high,people will dump it. not much you can do about it.
they've had the hydrogen idea for fuel for decades, they don't do it because of its cost. a wind farm is not going to give us our energy, and they disrupt large areas and may well change climate if there is enough of these things on our waters and deserts. every kind of energy can be viewed as insane. waves, solar, coal, oil, gases are all insane, we know they can harm the environment. i think nuclear is the way to go, but not all countries can afford to build them and regulate its safety, not to mention the bomb threat it poses. burning wood won't help either. so insane is everyone, sorry, but i'm insane too :)
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

As far as nuclear power goes, I'd rather not go there. First there's Chernobyl, remember that? Then there's Fukushima. Then there's the radioactive wast, with a half life of 29 years for 1 of these by-products, which typically takes 10 half-lives (290 years) to become safe.

Source
The SNF of a cycle with thorium will contain U-233, an isotope with a half-life of 160,000 years

Source of quote
I'd rather not have something emitting toxic energy for that long sitting around, even in containment. Accidents, natural disasters and deliberate sabotage are all risks with such a dangerous material in breaking that containment. This article also highlights how the spent fuel rods need to be stored in a special pool filled with water because of how hot they are, and to protect the environment from deadly levels of radiation that these fuels rods are still emitting, with the half life of 160,000 years, as mentioned in the quote above.

Here is a sample of a hydro turbine made by the company Blue Energy Canada Inc. Vertical Axis Hydro Turbine. Used in a Tidal Bridge formation as shown in the website each generator can produce a peak capacity of about 900 MW of power (don't know the time frame), if set up at a length of 1000 meters, a depth of 35 meters and at a peak flow rate of 5 meters per second. The average household in the USA uses about 1363 kw/year, in the EU 688 kw/year, and the global average is 313 kw/year(Source).

That is just 1 example of a clean, non-environmentally damaging energy source. There are also many researchers working on or have developed technologies that can extract the static energy that is everywhere.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Another thing about people messing up the planet is that they probably don't care for another reason - becuase of the time it'll take for the Earth to be totally fucked, they'll probably be dead by then in which case it's not their problem - it's those who're still alive at the time, and who cares about them, right? :P
Master Superior

That's if you subscribe to the "you only live once as a purely physical object and then cease to exist forever" theory. I don't. I know myself to be a spiritual being that has a body, and when that body dies I'll take on another body, so I will be living in that future generation that has to deal with a messed up Earth if this generation allows that to happen. Even without the spirituality argument, there is still the we will survive by our children argument, and I don't want to leave my children (when I have them) with a mess to deal with. That's one hell of a cruel inheritance to leave to them.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the saturn v rocket is a stable and heavy load rocket that can send tons and tons of material into space. that is what should be done with nuclear wastes. nuclear is fantastic compared to the alternative right now. half of Ontario is nuclear powered. i'm not worried about it much. i fish and live right between two nuke plants, trees are twice the size, just kidding, the fish are though, they love those plants and they get monsterous.

Fippy, yup.. that is the answer i get from most people, they'll say they don't care, they won't be around anyway, they say this to justify their vehicles and plane trips and all that other stuff we WON"T do without. i have asked this question a lot and have checked people out thoroughly on this. people are not going to do without their fuel burning polluting ways, not a chance, but they'll still hound about the GW scare, heh, there is a good chance that we'll be slightly cooler in 20 years. they believe that once there is enough CO2 in the upper atmosphere, it switches at some point and begins a cooling phase, our ice age will start. so CO2 is actually gonna trigger an ice age. who knows, it's not my proffesion, nor do i have the crystall ball for it either, but hopefully i'll be around in 20 years to see if we have warmed or cooled, we'll see. it's not the end of the world, and CO2 has good things too, but nobody wants to know that.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, my name's not Fippy - he's just my avatar picture (an altered version of Wuuf I made and named after a famous Everquest NPC). I need to do a different avatar at some point, if only to actually have one that's the same sex as me...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Murafu perhaps?
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Chaos-Shaman wrote:there is a good chance that we'll be slightly cooler in 20 years. they believe that once there is enough CO2 in the upper atmosphere, it switches at some point and begins a cooling phase, our ice age will start. so CO2 is actually gonna trigger an ice age. who knows, it's not my proffesion, nor do i have the crystall ball for it either, but hopefully i'll be around in 20 years to see if we have warmed or cooled, we'll see. it's not the end of the world, and CO2 has good things too, but nobody wants to know that.
if you take a look at the image below, it shows the ocean currents in the Atlantic ocean:
If you look on the left side of the image, you will see a red line that represents a warm current, that flows up the east cost of South America, loops through the Gulf of Mexico (which is where this current gets its name "the Gulf Stream" from) and then continues NE across the Atlantic Ocean over to the west coast of Europe before veering west in the Arctic Ocean and eventually heading back south down the Maritime Provinces on the east coast of Canada. As the line turns blue, that means the current is cooling and becomes a cold current. This current is responsible for most of Europe, especially Northern Europe and Scandinavia being as warm as it is. This current, on it's cooler southward section, helps keep the tropical regions of North and South America cooler then they would otherwise be.

Why is this important? Well, this current is in large part regulated by the salinity (salt content) of the sea water. So as global temperatures warm, and most importantly, as polar ice caps melt and increase the volume of water in the oceans, the sea water becomes less salty, as the same amount of salt is now spread out over a larger amount of water (ie the ocean water becomes diluted by too much fresh water). This can affect currents like the Gulf Stream and slow it down, so that it has less of an effect on climate. Many other ocean currents would also be similarly affected. Without these currents to redistribute heat from the equator to the poles and cold from the poles to the equator, the regions near the equator would get hotter, and the regions near the poles would get colder, which would trigger and ice age.

So when climatologists talk about global cooling that is most commonly what they are referring to. That global warming will melt too much ice, which will lead to too much fresh water mixing with ocean water, which will make the oceans less salty, which will slow major ocean currents (like the Gulf Stream), which will lead to major temperature imbalances on a global scale, which will lead to rapid (in geological terms) cooling and eventually and ice age.

As far as the reports of global temperatures having cooled a bit a couple of years ago, I'll remind people that this was the result of a series of major volcanic eruptions, especially in Iceland, but there was also a series of major eruptions in the Caribbean as well, all of which release a massive amount of ash into the upper atmosphere, enough to block some of the sun's energy, triggering a temporary volcanic shift. This was merely the result of a series of closely packed natural disasters. This does not mean that we are not causing a change in the Earth's climate, as some would have us believe. It is what it is, a temporary change in climate causes by a series of volcanic eruptions that were powerful enough to affect the climate for a short while. Call it a lucky break, by slowing the trend in rising temperatures, and in some areas even reversed it, it's bought us some more time to make the necessary changes to halt global warming or any other form of human caused climate changes and lessen the effects of them.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

nicely said. the gulf stream has been the topic for many years in the early 1900s, they wanted to block the stream to prevent the storms by filling in the path that heads up the N Atlantic. the things we think up are crazy i tell ya. yes the volcanoes have been going off more than usual, and will continue for a while longer and i think the polar flip had a hand in it. which explains a lot. i have been talking about those volcanoes for years. we don't know how long we will have increased volcanic activity, but that point shows that they will always be able to regulate the temps. don't forget the suckers put a lot of different chemicals in the atmosphere as well. the iceland volcano erupted under a galcier making it more powerful. i wrote a message about this event was coming 2 months in advance of it happening, called it. i said much of what you just wrote above. i tend to get lucky with premonitions, or gut feelings. to me there are many other things that outweigh CO2 emmisions. if people would stop wasting energy. move to near the place of work and take a bus or train would do a lot. it is almost impossible to take a persons keys, heh, you can be killed over that.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Where I live we have a U-Pass program where collage/university students get billed for bus service regardless of whether or not they ride it. The cost is only $30 per month too, which is a fraction of the full price fare which is up around $160 per month at least, and I think it's gone up too, so this has been very successful in getting college/university students to ride, instead of drive. Any bus or train that goes anywhere near a college or university is packed with students taking advantage of this program. I'd imagine implementing a similar program with workers would have a similar effect too. Nothing convinces people to leave the keys behind like a major cost savings to do so, or being charged for the mass transit system ahead of time. People will tend to want to take advantage of the savings, or get their money's worth, either way the end result is more people riding buses and trains and less people driving. Of course, having intelligent routing and scheduling also helps.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

let's hope that people start to conserve more, stop buying those big trucks and other stuff we deem fun but pollutes the environment. take fireworks for example. how can we enjoy it when it pollutes so much, slaves in other countries put them together in horrible shops. this is a waste to me and all for fun, basically it's fun to waste and pollute is the message we send to our children. i am glad that out in BC they have that program. BC is a very green province and a delight, but on the other hand they are preventing the pipeline to the coast for China, not that we'll need it really because the Americans in the end won't allow it, they'll get that keystone pipe it'll just take a bit more time, like prices of gas going up, it is coming and when it does you can bet that people will do anything for cheaper gas, ANYTHING for it. when businesses have to raise prices because of the price of energy, it will starve a lot of people to death, not here, in other 3rd world countries, we'll stop buying as much stuff and in the end they'll have not even a penny an hour job to survive and this counts for at least a couple billion of people on the planet. have a look at the wealth charts, a small portion is rich or well off and the rest are poor, some make less than a 100 dollars a year. how do we justify energy costs when it costs their lives. they'll cut down their trees, pollute their waters, do anything to make up for that cost. so what do they do, they sell their carbon tax credits so China and US can pollute more. it's that simple. i'm not liking it much.
i enjoy your conversation SU, even if you are Seriously Unserious.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Well, this topic brought out the Serious. :|

You just wait, I'll spring the Unserious when you least expect it. :P

:twisted:
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh, no problems, i'll be waiting :)
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

but never knowing when exactly I'll strike :twisted: :P
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Ameena wrote:Lol, my name's not Fippy - he's just my avatar picture (an altered version of Wuuf I made and named after a famous Everquest NPC). I need to do a different avatar at some point, if only to actually have one that's the same sex as me...
So Fippy is a male? As in Wuuf's case, I tend to remain in the dark for, er, ever. :shock:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:lol: no kidding! :roll: I still can't figure out those Wuufish genders at all. :shock:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, Fippy is male...but I'm female.
Master Superior

... and Wuuf is male? or is Wuuf female? :? ... I'm so confused... :?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I always thought of Wuuf as male but apparently (s)he is female.
Master Superior

maybe (s)he's both? :? :shock: as in bi-gendered? :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh, btw, to actually mention something related to the original thread title...it's the middle of March, we're now in the Spring months...and as of the other day, it's frigging snowing! Okay so it didn't snow much on Sunday - didn't even settle, but was snowing all day yesterday, on and off, but not really settling too much on the roads...this morning it's settled everywhere. It's 'cause the wind is blowing from the direction of Russia, rather than across the Atlantic like it normally does (which means my part of the country, the southeast, is normally pretty well protected against that kind of weathery stuff...not today though!). Hopefully the trains will be buggered and I won't be able to get to work, but I checked a minute ago and they're just delayed. But I haven't got to go out for about an hour so maybe it'll have got worse by then :D.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Last night I did a round trip from south London to Gravesend in Kent. While it was cold in London and there had been a few flurries in the day, no snow had settled. Different story in Kent! Absolutely freezing, thick snow and I had to wait 25 mins to be picked up from the station as my GF had got stuck in snow-blocked traffic, freezing my little toes off. It was inclement. On top of that, my girlfriend's car got stuck getting out of the small village station road -- luckily there was grit box near by so I had to trek up and down with handfuls of grit to shove under the tyres which was enough to get us going.

When I got back to London around midnight, there was not a snow flake to be seen anywhere.

This morning, it is fresh and fine, very sunny -- though I can tell that it must still be very cold. Apparently still loads of snow in Gravesend -- which is just 30 miles away.

Very odd weather we're having.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Massive snowattack today again here in Germany.
And since we got a new Burgermeister the weekend, the people that should care for the streets obviously use the hour and do - nothing! That's surely the winter with the most water ever here.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I live in the Medway area - lots of snow this morning. My sister had a day off work 'cause she didn't want to risk driving on the slippery snowy hills (unavoidable as our road is on one of them - the road itself is more or less level, but one end leads to a field while the other has a rather steep hill adjoining it). My train was just a couple of minutes late and when I got to Bromley (where I work) there was no snow at all! The ground was even dry. And coming home tonight it was much the same story here, after the sunny day we just had - a few icy patches here and there and a bit of snow on walls and stuff, but the roads were pretty much completely clear.
I wish it'd make its mind up and give us either a total blizzard or some actual sunny Spring weather...
Master Superior

I heard about the snow in Germany on my local weather channel. That's pretty bizarre weather going on over there.

Here, on the west coast of Canada, or rather the wet coast :P , we got drenched with over 40 mm of rain, coming down in torrents. The forecast is calling for close to another 40 mm tomorrow. If this keeps up, we'll all be swimming pretty soon.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It snowed a bit earlier, briefly, then a couple of minutes later the sun came out. Later in the afternoon it either rained or snowed some more - I don't know which as I wasn't near a window in order to see but the ground was wet when I left work. Wtf weather...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No rain, just freezing high winds, barely there drifting snow that disappears instantly and was never there, then cold wind, etc.

Mum's down this weekend, which is typical given the weather is unpredictable;e but seems like it could suck at any moment :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ahhh, there is an arctic outbreak in Europe, Russia, China and Central Canada. breaking temp records in someplaces held for 170 years. France and Germany are getting a taste, even England and other parts of EU. we're still seeing cold temps and snow in our 14 day forcast here in Whitby Canada.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Here, the rain stopped briefly yesterday, then by the afternoon it was pouring down in torrents again. it's stopped raining again today, and by tomorrow, we may even see some sun! :) *fingers crossed* Then it'll be back to rain, rain and more rain. :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

BC horrors :)
keep your gor coin handy