Game review scores

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Game review scores

Post by Gambit37 »

New gaming site Polygon has an interesting page on how they will score games, and later modify those scores as games are developed, extended or changed over time:
http://www.polygon.com/pages/about-reviews
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Game review scores

Post by beowuuf »

The increments for the scale remind me of the Destructoid one, the shifting review will be interesting to see in practice.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I know reviews scores are highly subjective and often criticised as meaningless, but I've always found them to be a reasonable way of rating a game. I'm very interested to see how their 'bumping' technique will affect a game over time. Buggy games receiving a poor initial score may later get a better score after a critical patch - interesting to see if this genuinely affects player reaction, or if a day one review score is *always* the biggest influencer.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I was more thinking of something like Half Life, that is a 9 or 10 when released, yet gets harder to recommend to people far later on when sensibilities shift, etc. You have to caveat it with 'but thinki of the time it was released' etc.