[Custom Dungeon] [Mildew and Vinegar] Feedback

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
Ronald Andersson

[Custom Dungeon] [Mildew and Vinegar] Feedback

Post by Ronald Andersson »

Weird...
I know it must work, since others report so, but for me it just won't do it. The startup proceeds normally up to the point where the gates of Mt Anaias open. After the opening of the gates the game just freezes, continuing to show that screen unchanged. So I never even get inside...

Oh well, there are plenty of others that do work, so it's no big deal.

Regards: Ronald
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: [Custom Dungeon] [Mildew and Vinegar] Feedback

Post by beowuuf »

we've never figured out these random crashing things fully....which version of DM are you using? Normal or multi-language (dunno if that matters!)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
FLESH

STUCK!

Post by FLESH »

WEIRDO!
Playing it for days.
LIVING in dungeon is more accurate.

Got stuck in the last level with dragons.
They are too much and too powerful.
Fireballed them, poisonned 'em, hit'em, shoot'em.
No way to get rid of them.
What is the use of the 'cages'?

Also, I think I killed Lord Grey. I fell on him from a pit, found Bones belonging to BORIS!?
Did I screw it? Should I reload?

Funny story, but means something? Where is the vinager?

Now I'm just on exploration. Making me own maps because DMute is not enough.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Ronald:
(a bit late for a support answer, I know, but anyway...)
Please check you're usind the PC (not ST, not amiga) version of DM (not CSBwin).
Also, check if the dungeon.dat is in the data folder and not read-only. Same for the graphics.dat
Which version of DM are you using? I just had a try myself and i worked fine with V3.4.

FLESH:
"No way to get rid of them.
What is the use of the 'cages'?"

The use of the cages is the way to get rid of them.
Encage them, and then enter the cage.

WOW, you managed to get to this point!?
No, you didn't screw anything. The only way to win the game is by killing the Lord Grey and then resurrecting him. I think you are very near the end.
(There is an ending despite what Beowuuf said! Nothing to be very proud of anyway...)

The "vinagers" are the FUL bombs, meant to destroy the "mildews" (screamers). Yeah, I know, by the time I wrote this I thought it would be funny...

"Funny story, but means something? "
I'm afraid it doesn't, because of my bad english. If someone feels like correcting my bad syntax, I would be thankful.

"Now I'm just on exploration. "
This is the way the dungeon was designed: completely non-linear, you just live and explore. You have to take notes and maps and try to reach some yet unexplored zones (a little like CSB in the time when there were no editors to look at the maps).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ahhhhhhhhh, i see : ) Odd, i never tried to do anythign to the poor old grey lord

I did get a set of bones once that i still have no idea how you hacked the name of them! Never could find them again on a proper playthrough though
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

"I did get a set of bones once that i still have no idea how you hacked the name of them"
Err... I have no idea either... Are you sure I hacked them? I think they are just party bones, so they bear the name of the first character.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The party bones were called 'theronbones' i believe and turned my first party member into theron, no matter they were originally!

Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

What!? How the hell did I do that?
I'm gonna play it immediately! :-)
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I checked it and I think you are victim of a great imagination (triggered by a powerfully suggestive dungeon), Beowuuf!

Beowuuf, do you know what causes the "system error 71"?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've encountered system error 71 when there are monster interactions with cloned tiles and the engine hates it.

As for the imagination thing...darn, could have sworn i saw that!
Ah well : )

Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Alright, I'll try to get rid of these cloned tiles as much as possible. At least for "The Guardian". I like too much the deceiver the way it is right now.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think it happens when the game engine doesn't know where the monster should be - so perhaps the slow moving guardian has problems, but faster moving creatures that always have an action queued in the timing stack or whatever you call it are fine
I caused it by cloning grey lord squares, because he moves nowhere!