DM2E

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Re: DM2E

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

here's DM2AE 0.0.5.

CHANGES:
- new plain names for existing unnamed category names (suggestion from Christophe)
- more characteristic information for items. (suggestion from Christophe)
- experimental transparent function support. this support can affect for images at dungeon graphics/wall ornates/floor ornates/doors/creatures/weapons/clothes/scrolls/potions/misc items sections. (optional selection)
- extracts also expose unknown raw data value and binary (optional selection)
ChristopheF

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks for the new version, transparency is nice! I'll look into the new binary information exposed to try to understand some of it.

Below are a few additional remarks.

I think I found a bug (decoding DMII PC graphics.dat file):
For Weapons, value "0B - 14 00 00" is "Mana bonus".
This value is "decoded" for the weapon "ROGUE STAVE" but not for some other items like the Kalan Gauntlet (the hex value is displayed instead of "Equipment bonus: MANA +20"). the same for "Emerald Orb" (+30 Mana) and there are others...

The same problem occurs with "Anti-magic" bonus: it is displayed for Techshield (+10) but not for Techplate (+30).
Maybe this is also true for other types of bonuses (it may be a single bug in the source code, I have not looked at it).

Some more information understood:

Chests / Money Box:
Text 40 00 00 Content: J26-28 J8 J56 J6
I think letter "J" is for "Miscellaneous items" and the numbers are the indices of items that can be put in the money box:
26: Blue Gem
27: Red Gem
28: Green Gem
8: Gold Coin
56: Silver Coin
6: Copper Coin

Clothes:
for most items, value "0B 00 00" is Armor / Sharp resistance.
However, there are 4 items (Foot Plate, Ra Sar Plate, Ra Sar Shield, Fire Greave) that do not have this value but instead have value "0B 01 00" with exactly the same content (two bytes, one for armor, the other for Sharp Resistance). I don't know why it is another value... Can you add decoding of this value also?

Value "18 00 00" is Wisdom statistic bonus. (Techelm has +15 Wisdom)
Value "20 00 00" is Priest skill bonus. This is a signed value on 1 byte of the word. For example, a "Sar Shield" removes one priest level and the value is "00 FF". The last byte is the value is -1 (signed byte: FF means -1).

Sharp resistance byte: least significant nibble (4 bits): sharp resistance value (ranges from 0 to 7, just like in CSB).
Most significant nibble: if most significant bit (bit3) equals 1 (nibble = 8), then it means "ignored", as explained in the tool CSBEdit readme file (written by rain`):
Ignored: Do not use this item when calculating armor.
This bit is set for shields and not for other items...

I thank you for keeping your program regularly updated.

Christophe
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

hi, Christophe

bonus values:
about the bug on bonus values, it's intended behavior. in decoding code, if a bonus value is greater than 16, it remains undecoded value. i coded so because the bonus value which was more than 16 didn't have expected result in the game.
for example, fairy cushion will be expected to increase the Strength by 25 (information from graphics.dat), but it increases only 19 in the game. finally i don't understand whether they are correct data and incorrect behavior or vice versa. it's the reason of this decoding behavior.
if it is sure that their bonus value shows right information on other materials like guide book, i'll remove that limitation.

text "40 00 00":
your discovery about text "40 00 00" is interesting and good step to know characteristic of items/creatures. great!

next release will have next corrections:
- correct decode for armor / sharp resistance in 4 specific items
- wisdom as bonus factor
- priest skill as bonus factor (i'll also check the near values for possible other skills)
- ranging and flag for sharp resistance / armor strength
thanks a lot!

information about DM2 actuators, i'm publishing as memo at: members.tripod.co.jp/danmasu/p017.htm
however their information will be useless for majority people for now ;)
ChristopheF

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks for documenting the DM2 actuators.

About bonus values: I am absolutely sure that there are bonuses greater than 16 that are really applied in the game. It is possible tough that for some items the value represents a "maximum bonus", the real value in the game may be computed based on some skill level / statistic value.
For example, you may have to be a powerful wizard to obtain the maximum mana bonus of an item, otherwise you only get part of the bonus.

So I suggest that you remove the limitation to 16 in next version, or make this optional.

Christophe
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

about bonus values, i tested the 256 possible values (out of 65536) as bonus value and collected the increased/decrased quantity as characteristic data.
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/DM2E/DMII-Mi ... istics.rar

i had tested weeks ago and forgot about detail situation.
it seems not to show the clear relation. (wrong testing way or mis-implement of dm2?)
anyway, i believe that the bonus values in dat file is right and remove that limitation. (because you showed sure samples like Kalan Gauntlet and Emerald Orb.)

about armor / sharp resistance.
as you advice, i'll have to learn from CSBEdit for further decoding. rain` also discovered interesting factors(spell description and so on) which exist in graphics.dat!
i'll check whether their interesting information is contained in dm2 or not by modifying raw data and testing.