Road to full team of Archmasters (SNES)

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Diecast
Novice

Re: Road to full team of Archmasters (SNES)

Post by Diecast »

Latest update:

Got my Reincarnated Hissa (AKA "Slith") maxed out to all Archmaster Levels.

Stats:

Health: 999
Stamina: 999
Mana: 386

Strength: 90
Dexterity: 96
Wisdom: 67
Vitality: 58
Anti-Magic: 75
Anti-Fire: 70

I might take a break after this one. It's turning out to be quite the undertaking...
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Wow - great job! Are the other characters one rank away from earning Archmaster for most of their skills?

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Thanks for the encouragement Jay.
All the other Champions are at 1 away for Fighter and Healer, and 2 away for Ninja and Wizard.

I’ve decided to take a break from grinding. I’m going to work my way down and clear everything, then come back to the Screamer room to max everyone out. With the skeleton key stairway open, it’ll be easy. Just felt like playing a bit. besides, all that XP gathered on the way down will count for leveling.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Right - sometimes it's a good idea to take a break if you've been training for a particularly long time and you think it'll help you from burning out....

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

ChristopheF wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:33 pm That bug is only in the Japanese 1.0 version. It is safe to go back to the entrance in English versions and in Japanese 1.1.
Safe?
Well, I did think that ending was hot.
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

lol, hot? Nice comment without spoiling it, slickr. lol
Actually just checked it out. Cleared all lower levels, including all Demons and the Dragon. And decided to go back up to try it out.

As far as training goes, I dropped my last save game at the Screamer room before heading all the way back up. Now I have the Pendent Feral for a +1 on a Wizard level, and an incomplete Firestaff for a +1 on all 4 (Fighter-Ninja-Healer-Wizard). I’m definitely going to use these for the rest of this. So that means I have one natural full Archmaster, and one that is only 1 level away for Ninja.

The grind will continue tomorrow…
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

This useless dream is still alive!
This pointless bucket list item is still glorious!
I’ll update in a bit. Getting close.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Did you take a break from training the characters for awhile? Getting everyone all the way to natural Archmaster is one tremendous grind...

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Hey Jay. Yeah, I took a break, but have been back at it for a bit now. Taking my time though. And yes, it’s quite the grind. Makes me wonder how many people ever did this. At the pace I’m at right now, I’ll probably have around 2 weeks left on it…
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

There are a couple of older posts from people claiming that they have trained all of their characters' skills to Archmaster level (at least one of which I believe has screenshots proving it). Among players of this game, though, I would say only a very small percentage would ever attempt going for Archmaster level for any of their characters' skills given the ridiculous amount of training time it requires....

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Isn't that why there were provisions to transfer characters to Chaos Strikes Back? So that you could continue on and achieve that archmaster status in a sequel without wasting days just grinding away?

Although to be fair I did wind up doing just that in Final Fantasy Legend and Legend II on the Game Boy, particularly with my mutants when I kept getting killed and couldn't afford the best armor at that point in the game (giant equipment but you only have a narrow opportunity to get it otherwise you have to wait for late game). So I went around and ground skills until I had enough gold to equip my entire party with giant armor twice over.
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are others where you have to grind for days, but Dungeon Master doesn't usually require it that much. Bard's Tale sort of needs it, but once you get to level 3 you can usually get by just completely exploring every square of on the automap of every dungeon (although you'll have to skip part of the wine cellars at first as you usually can't cast Phase Door until after you've completed the third floor).
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

If you're playing the game on an actual SNES console like Diecast and I did, you can't really transfer your characters to Chaos Strikes Back...

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Nor could I transfer the characters from the IIGS version or even the MS-DOS version.
Still I don't think I ever really got past EE master in the original Dungeon Master. Usually I finish at UM Master although I might have one class (usually wizard or fighter) at ON Master.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I think the farthest I got during my playthrough last year was Pal Master (d Master in the SNES version of the game) in my Healer and Wizard skills and On Master (b Master in the SNES version of the game) in my Fighter and Ninja skills....

--Jay
Estoroth
Novice

Post by Estoroth »

As far I remember on my Amiga 500 I have never been above master 3 for all abilities. The time for gain level become extremely long and laborious after the first levels of Master. I didn't have enough patience to go any further.

Congratulations to you Diecast, you have really doing awesome job. :D
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Just wrapped up...
Ridiculously long grind...
One more silly thing checked off the bucket list...
All natural (No Pendant Feral or Fire staff equipped)...

Hope some appreciate the effort...
I'll post stats later in the week...
Cheers!
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

In the IIGS & PC versions when you view the levels it also shows your stats, it would have been interesting to see what your final stats were as well.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Diecast: Wow - great job! That was a really long project, and I'm pretty sure you're one of only a few players who have managed to get to Archmaster level for all four of their characters.

slickrcbd: Diecast said at the bottom of his post that he would make another post with his characters' stats at some point during the next few days.

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Thanks to the few who supported this effort.
Especially you Jay.

Here are the stats:
[All of them stripped down to nothing equipped or in inventory]

Hisssa:
Health = 999
Stamina = 999
Mana = 382
Max Weight = 82Kg
Strength = 90
Dexterity = 86
Wisdom = 67
Vitality = 58
Anti-Magic = 75
Anti-Fire - 70

Halk:
Health = 999
Stamina = 999
Mana = 386
Max Weight = 85Kg
Strength = 93
Dexterity = 75
Wisdom = 60
Vitality = 63
Anti-Magic = 71
Anti-Fire - 73

Gothmog:
Health = 999
Stamina = 999
Mana = 391
Max Weight = 66Kg
Strength = 69
Dexterity = 69
Wisdom = 87
Vitality = 53
Anti-Magic = 89
Anti-Fire - 78

Boris:
Health = 999
Stamina = 999
Mana = 391
Max Weight = 66Kg
Strength = 69
Dexterity = 69
Wisdom = 87
Vitality = 53
Anti-Magic = 89
Anti-Fire - 78

Happy Holidays y'all!~
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Great job again, Diecast! I actually optimized my characters' stats each time they gained a level during my playthrough last year, so I don't think their stats were all *that* much lower than your characters' stats overall (with the main exception being their mana, which I recall tended to be just over 320 for all four characters). Hope you have a terrific Holidays, too!

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Yeah, impressive amount of patience. I always found grinding boring in video games, and disliked the ones where I needed to do so.
I had more patience for it back when I was in junior high, but as I grew up and had less free time my patience for pointless grinding wore thin, to the point that I'd often just cheat in extra XP and gold in whatever RPG I was playing if I needed to do grinding. In games like Final Fantasy VII where you also acquired items or had to hunt for a rare drop that was entirely luck based, I'd just use an editor to max out all the items you could farm while grinding or cheat in things like that pink tail in Final Fantasy IV.