What is the best map editor for Dungeon Master?

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
TiggyFox
Neophyte

What is the best map editor for Dungeon Master?

Post by TiggyFox »

Hello! I'm currently working on a brand new 3D clone of Dungeon Master 1 & a reimagining of 2 and want to rip the item stats, information, and layouts directly from an editor I ran into years ago that let me see everything - including items that were added to the game but never used. Does anyone know where it is? It may have been DMute, but the download link for that is dead now. I looked at the list here, but can't make heads or tails of it. lol.

Anyway, I will post footage when I have something more impressive to show than basic movement. XD
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: What is the best map editor for Dungeon Master?

Post by Sophia »

It may have been DMute, but the truth is, pretty much nobody actually edits the original version of Dungeon Master itself any more. The closest we get these days is CSBwin, which is based on the original Atari ST executable, but it has a lot of additions, too. Most new dungeons are created in CSBwin, or in RTC or DSB, which are from-scratch reproductions of the DM engine and look and feel (mostly) like DM but aren't actually compatible with it.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

If it was long ago then you probably used DMUTE. Try here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/698#toc4
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

DMute can edit dungeons but not view/change other game data. Aren't you referring to ADGE instead? http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1403
This is a very old tool. It will read game data from the Atari ST versions only. These versions store most game data in 5 binary items in graphics.dat (#558 to #562). All other versions store the equivalent data in the executables themselves.

If you can read C language, you may check my ReDMCSB source code where you'll find all stats and data for all versions. Check here viewtopic.php?t=29805
TiggyFox
Neophyte

Post by TiggyFox »

Ah thank you! A read of your code will likely be very helpful! :)
TiggyFox
Neophyte

Post by TiggyFox »

Thanks to all of you. Unfortunately I couldn't download this. However, all I really need is to see the stats so I can work out roughly how the game functions. Thank you. I'll see about screenshots when I have something to show!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The download that Christophe linked to is working fine for me, maybe try again?