Dungeon state at startup

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

Dungeon state at startup

Post by Joramun »

Hi,

The topic of the day is: the dungeon state should be frozen until the entrance door is fully openned.

What do I mean ? Let's say a sneaky dungeon designer has put tons of triggers on the starting tile in the dungeon.
1) If said trigger has a sound, in the current state of affairs, the sound is played during the LOADING screen, which is not good.
2) If said trigger launches a bunch of timed events etc. it must not be beautiful to have everything in the starting blocks before the game is even started.

3) Can you please remove the giggler sound ? When playtesting I got it like 10 times already today :cry: it's a bit annoying.
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Dungeon state at startup

Post by Sophia »

Joramun wrote:If said trigger has a sound, in the current state of affairs, the sound is played during the LOADING screen, which is not good.
I agree. It should probably just suppress the sound in this case.
Joramun wrote:If said trigger launches a bunch of timed events etc. it must not be beautiful to have everything in the starting blocks before the game is even started.
I don't know quite what you mean by this, though. The timers don't run until the dungeon starts, so it's not really a big deal.
Joramun wrote:Can you please remove the giggler sound ? When playtesting I got it like 10 times already today :cry: it's a bit annoying.
When testing, you can skip the whole intro (including the giggler) with:

Code: Select all

function sys_game_intro()
  return true
end
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

So what is it with this giggler anyway? I always thought that it symbolised an internal error but it also happens when I don't generate any Lua errors as well though.
Still, it kind of grew on me...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

No, the giggler is just random.
And apparently unappreciated. :P
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Not unappreciated. It's just that since I'm often listenning to music, my sound is loud by default.
So the giggler is loud. So I'm surprised, not to say frightened. Then I check my pockets. Then I remember it's in the computer.
What Is Your Quest ?
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Joramun wrote:...Then I check my pockets...
That is a sign that you are truely immersed in your work, my friend!
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Well, he's being prudent. A giggler in your pocket is certainly cause for alarm...