Legend of Grimrock

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kenshiro
Apprentice

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by Kenshiro »

r0ck wrote:Finished!! 10 hours and 1 minute on normal difficulty.

Seriously? Did you find many secrets at all? I'm about 12 hours in and halfway through level 9 =/

No spoilers please, but did you rush through?
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

K, I'm stuck in lev 3. And its not the game, I know what I need to do. Its my partially paralyzed left hand not allowing me to both move and click on stuff in the interface at the same time. Had the same prob in DM but everythings a bit slower(or maybe I just know exactly what to do). I pretty much have to play one handed so I can't really do a lot of the tricks like running around while casting magic and making stuff in inventory in the same time. The step-dance I can do, sort of, but I noticed a LOT of the enemies are much faster than DM. The part is where (I think it's a secret)
Spoiler
there's two pits and two buttons, one of the buttons closes pits, the other button is above a pit. So you have to close pits and run over and hit button before pits open back up.Down the hall theres a gate with gate chain and on-off teleporter.
I don't think its a needed point, but I want to get everything. And I must have tried easy 30 times before getting annoyed and going on here to complain. I love exploration, but I hate it when I know exactly how to do it but because my hand doesn't work right I get screwed. So my one question is, how much more stuff like this is there gonna be? Crazy fighting's not a prob, cuz the movements rather simple(although I keep on picking up the weapons out of my guy's hand instead of right clicking!). Its multi-key complicated movement mixed with precision mouse that gets me. I don't wanna get frusterated and quit due to my own physical limitations, but I'm worried that theres gonna be parts where you *need* to do stuff like this to go on, and not just secrets.

(also I'm writing this in the hopes that I'll get it as soon as I post this, just cuz I posted it ;))
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

r0ck wrote:Finished!! 10 hours and 1 minute on normal difficulty
:lol: 10 hours of play and entering level 6 :lol: you guys are insane, i would give much to see a video played by such experts, how someone can beat this game so easily is just beyond to me !

btw, someone have done a better job - HARD DIFFICULTY mode
source : http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic ... ame+Length
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey Raixel, I don't think it's on by default, but do you play with the screen movement arrows? There's a menu option somewhere to switch them on if not. Also, playing in a small windowed mode with a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of wide screen squishes the interface elements closer to the centre, so combining both it might make such things more doable with only the mouse?
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

raixel wrote:(also I'm writing this in the hopes that I'll get it as soon as I post this, just cuz I posted it ;))
This is evil, true evil, the work of a strategist who loves to screw destiny.

Raixel, more seriously, you should have a look at voice recognition software and autohotkey. Google is your friend: "voice command autohotkey"

Here's an example of setup: http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/809- ... )-dual-box
Basically you use voice activated commands to emulate the press of keys, so it might require a bit to setup/get used to, but that way you can replace your disabled left hand with voice for those tricky parts :)
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

Kenshiro wrote:

Seriously? Did you find many secrets at all? I'm about 12 hours in and halfway through level 9 =/

Hello, I dont know it it helped me that I love Dungeon Master and recently played it thru. I didnt rush much and I got mostly of the "Secret" doors opened. The Puzzles didnt stop me to much except one ore two of them. And I had a few deaths ofcourse later on since they did hurt alot. Devs told that it would take between 10-15 hours to finish, and I was 1 minute over 10, rather funny.

Cheers.
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

èné wrote:
r0ck wrote:Finished!! 10 hours and 1 minute on normal difficulty
:lol: 10 hours of play and entering level 6 :lol: you guys are insane, i would give much to see a video played by such experts, how someone can beat this game so easily is just beyond to me !

btw, someone have done a better job - HARD DIFFICULTY mode
source : http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic ... ame+Length
Hehe, funny words mate :) I dont consider myself an expert but yea I did finish Dungeon Master 1/2 a couple of times already and I love this kind of games. It is "my" type of games more or less. I really enjoyed it but I wish it was 80+ hours :).

Cheers
Kenshiro
Apprentice

Post by Kenshiro »

r0ck wrote:
Kenshiro wrote:

Hello, I dont know it it helped me that I love Dungeon Master and recently played it thru. I didnt rush much and I got mostly of the "Secret" doors opened. The Puzzles didnt stop me to much except one ore two of them. And I had a few deaths ofcourse later on since they did hurt alot. Devs told that it would take between 10-15 hours to finish, and I was 1 minute over 10, rather funny.

Cheers.
Fair enough, it's been a couple years since I last played through Dungeon Master. I haven't been really stuck on many puzzles,
Spoiler
checkered room
had me for a bit lol, tried hitting things in some kind of order instead.
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

I just completed the game - but I'm far from having cleared it. It seems like I skipped a whole level (8 I think) and struggled a lot with respawns and repops in 9 and 10. It looked like my party was far less effective than I hoped it would be, so my only strategy was pretty much to rush in, kill something, get out and rest/revive. From level 9 onwards, and for every single mob. That was painful.

15hours and 40minutes is the timer. I only have a single slice of blueberry pie left.
Rogue 13 (assassination 50/Dagger 17)
Fighter 12 (athletics 20/armor 8/axe 20)
Mage 12 (air 27 / ice 16 / Spellcraft 5)
Mage 12 (fire 35 / spellcraft 19)

For those who want to know, the Assassination final talent is
Spoiler
the "assassinate" effect: basically you one-shot enemies that you manage to backstab, except of course those that you wish it would work on. It's essentially useless by the time you get it because they're all immune to the assassinate effect, or too fast to get backstabbed

Overall I had a great time until the end of level 7. Levels 8 was skipped (couldn't find the entrance :P), levels 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 were
Spoiler
boring grinds
, final fight was
Spoiler
exceptional :P
Great game!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Um. I think I found a minor bug. Was on Lev 3 after getting by previous part. (
Spoiler
Didn't realize getting dumped in the pit was part of the fun!
). Then I got by the
Spoiler
fun part with moving teleporters, which wasnt really that hard since I could position the mouse with my rock in it to throw, then switch gears real fast.
Ok, so theres a part after that where you
Spoiler
open a room full of spiders and eggs. Don't know what the eggs do, but I'm assuming they spawn spiders if you dont klll them fast enough. Anyway, I was wailing on spiders, then shutting door and resting, no door squish trick, damn! Rinse repeat.
I cast poison cloud (accidentally!) and then noticed whenever I hit a
Spoiler
spider that was in the cloud
+175 xp popped up, like I killed something. I don't think there was 12 in there though, and I wasn't actually getting the XP. I don't think anything was dying, because the
Spoiler
spider
was still in my face. Thing is I reloaded, and tried the exact same thing to see if I could get it to repeat and it wouldn't do it. So I dunno.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I was just playing a little bit of classic DM. One thing that felt very strange after playing Grimrock was the lack of sounds when you move, and lack of ambient background noise. I already now expect those in my dungeon crawlers: LoG finally raised the bar ;-) :D
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

Gambit37 wrote:I was just playing a little bit of classic DM. One thing that felt very strange after playing Grimrock was the lack of sounds when you move, and lack of ambient background noise. I already now expect those in my dungeon crawlers: LoG finally raised the bar ;-) :D
Yep, tried to play some classic DM after I finished Grimrock and it just felt sad without all the goodies like uber sharp graphics, the light, the sounds etc etc etc. I sooooo want the Grimrock editor to launch!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Finally got round to playing it again today - I'm on Level 5 now, I think...my party are all erm...level 6 or maybe 7, can't remember now. It's still good :). My dad is further than me and I've had to do a few of the timed puzzles for him 'cause he's not fast enough on the keys so gets me to do it, lol. I prefer stuff that doesn't rely on pressing the exact right keys in a exact right order or else you fall down a pit, or whatever, but so far I've not had too much trouble - any timed puzzles I've come across have probably taken maybe five or so attempts, give or take. I've not got excessively frustrated yet, anyway ;). More frustrating for me is when I hold a key in half a second too long and go soaring miles past where I want to stop, or spin round in a circle when I just want to turn once. It would be better if it was more like Stonekeep, which had smooth movement between tiles but you stopped immediately when you took your finger off the key, rather than the game "storing" how many times' worth of key presses it thinks you've done, and carrying them out even when you want to stop. I have to make sure I single-press to walk everywhere, basically ;).
Oh and yay, I found the
Spoiler
Light spell
:D. It doesn't seem quite as
Spoiler
bright as torches
, but oh well. It'll certainly save me
Spoiler
a load of inventory space from carrying the bloody things around :D
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

One level more, and there is an item that can do the same as the light spell. Though it's harder to keep than it is to get :D

Oh, and I find I carry a torch too sometime when I want the extra tile of distance beyond magical light. An interesting combination!

Currentlly on the temple level II (level 10) trying to work out how to fully open up the mirror image area from the start area in order to open the inner sanctum :(
raixel

Post by raixel »

Hey Ameena, if I ever get *really* stuck in a timed puzzle cuz of my disability, can I send you my save? :D I've already had to pass up one secret on lev 4, cuz after about 80(literally) tries I just got frustrated
Spoiler
Its the one where you have to press a button, then run across 2 pits, turn and press another button and then somehow get back before pits open.
. I *hate* timed puzzles, especially if they involve multiple mouse clicks and really fast movement. I'm so hoping there isn't any serious ones that keep me from going on.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think I know which bit you mean...is it
Spoiler
at the "junction room" of the four puzzles, with the scrolls on the floor
? I did that bit earlier - took me a few tries but I got it in the end :).
As far as I can tell, all the timed puzzles involve access to secrets. At least, as far as I can remember there's never been a section where it's been required to complete a timed puzzle in order to continue. I think I have 24 secrets so far...but there's 71 in total so I've probably missed plenty...but on the other hand I'm only on Level 5 so there'll be plenty more to go ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can also send your save to me if you want, I'm not sayign I'm brilliant at the timed puzzles, but I've beaten all the ones I've come across so far. Did you have any joy with the 4:3 screen size and arrow keys on screen for helping with puzzles?
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

I am Jealus at you guys still enjoying the game, oh Why did I finish it so soon? :( and I am not much for replayability since its the exact same dungeon. Maybe to find the treasures I didnt find in the first playthru, hmmm. I might just give that a shot to be honest, I will see. :P Nonetheless, great game and I wish it had 1000+ levels instead of 12(13).
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Level 8... and I have to say that
Spoiler
Tomb of the Dismantler reminds me a lot of Tomb of Firestaff... Ogres being those damn Golems! Uggardians are giving me less and less pain but still they're hard to beat. But I hope the prize is worth it. And please Almost Human... make some kind of an accessible food enemy-spawning room because I'm having trouble with hunger.
r0ck
Novice

Post by r0ck »

Suule wrote:Level 8... and I have to say that
Spoiler
Tomb of the Dismantler reminds me a lot of Tomb of Firestaff... Ogres being those damn Golems! Uggardians are giving me less and less pain but still they're hard to beat. But I hope the prize is worth it. And please Almost Human... make some kind of an accessible food enemy-spawning room because I'm having trouble with hunger.
Hmm, I have so much food left after completion of the game that I can give it away for free to 100 people, did I play the same game? I never used the kettle to make a bottle either, always slept to full hp/mana.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Gambit37 wrote:Who knows what Wayne Holder has up his sleeve? He still owns the rights, and is apparently trying to get SunDog onto smartphones, so maybe DM will eventually have an official smartphone version too. I doubt he'd make any money from porting the old game as-is though:
Here's a question... does anyone know how to reach Wayne Holder? Dungeon Master (3) seems ripe for a Kickstarter campaign, or an offer/collaboration from some talented game developer ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nice idea. Wayne is not directly contactable unfortunately. You may be able to get hold of him through Doug Bell, but I wouldn't hold your breath. People have been trying for many years without success...
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

What I meant to ask, is whether anyone here is in contact with Mr. Holder. With Wasteland 2's Kickstarter campaign reaching nearly 3 million, and the apparent success of Legend of Grimrock (via staying at or near the top of the Steam and GOG best sellers), it seems clear that there is a market for old school games. I wonder if some of these property owners may be surprised to realize what they are sitting on.

Oh well, back to LoG!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Like I said, no one here is in contact with Wayne, he is reclusive when it comes to DM and pretty much retired from it back in the 90s when FTL closed down. I think he's in his 70s now. Doug Bell knows how to get in touch with him; unfortunately I'm not allowed to give out Doug's email, but some quick googling may yield results...
Kenshiro
Apprentice

Post by Kenshiro »

I finished my first playthrough last night.

Some spoilers ahead so read the following only if you're absolutely certain you've found every secret on at least level 10 and want to know something you may be able to find out for yourself with some mucking about. Also don't read the very last line unless you've completed the game.

I didn't manage to find
Spoiler
Toorum's remains
, sadly enough. If you do and you
Spoiler
resurrect him at a life crystal
you can unlock
Spoiler
solo mode, letting you play through as Toorum only without having to kill off three party members. He's also a unique class in that he can get a couple types of magic as well as axes and swords.
What a fantastic game, I'll probably replay it within the next few weeks. I was extremely hyped up about it and was a little worried it might not live up to my expectations, but that all went out the window after I saw TB's "WTF is... Legend of Grimrock" video, and then as soon as I started playing I knew it was everything I hoped it would be.

Awesome job petri, I'll support you and the guys at AH until the end of time!

Or at least until I
Spoiler
dismantle a sentient machine cube and blow myself up with a mountain huehue
djbone
Neophyte

Post by djbone »

I just wanna say to the developers team : THANK YOU !!!! This game is wonderfull ! It has great reviews on french videogames sites (jeuxvideos.com (18/20 for the first videogame site in france!), rpg-france (9/10), gameblog(8/10) and son on !
And for me : 10/10 ! It's THE game i waited for so long time !

So i have a question for the developers : Are you surprised to have so much good reviews anywhere (and no bad reviews at all) ?

see you...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm not sure, but I may have found a sort of bug. I was on Level, erm, 4, I think, yesterday (the one with
Spoiler
the four puzzle areas accessed by teleporters, each of which leads to a central room with a scroll on the floor - you need to get all four scrolls to open the door to the next level
). In the
Spoiler
"Time and Tide"
section, I was trying to solve the puzzle where you
Spoiler
step on the plate, wait till just after the ticking, then chuck an item into the briefly-appearing teleporter so the item gets zapped over to land on another pad and close the pits
. I was trying to do it by
Spoiler
holding the item on the cursor and chuck it, and didn't seem to be getting anywhere. I went down the pit to get my items back (rocks, throwing knives, shurikens) but they weren't all there. Then my dad came in to see what I was up to and said that it doesn't work if you hold the item on the cursor, only if you throw it from a hand
. I can't see any reason why this should make a difference, but it did. I later also managed to
Spoiler
get the secret behind the nearby grating - the skill book. Maybe my missing items had been teleported into this section? I'd reloaded after I found half of them were gone so I don't know what would have happened to them as I got them back via the reload
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Losing items may be a bug - report it on the LoG forums.

The more "velocity when throwing from a hand" issue had me stumped in a couple of places too, that's a slightly odd mechanic... I love LoG, but there are a few things in it that lack the intuitive nature of Dungeon Master.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well unless I missed it, there is no party leader (if you think about it, it is counter intuitive in DM where a person can have two filled hands and yet actives things from a third hand?) So throwing from the cursor has no reference of a strength.

Out of interest, what other thigns do you think are unintuitive?
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

The throwing velocity from the mouse is by design slower than ranged attacks so that the player wouldn't be able to spam ranged attacks with the mouse item. At 60 fps (DM run like 10 fps or less) you could achieve a pretty significant fire rate.

About playtime: please note that the Time statistic in game only shows the actual playtime without retries and reloads. So if you for example die and reload a saved game the statistic will show the time that you had when the game was saved. You can see the total playtime in Steam which is usually a lot higher than the one in statistics.

Gambit, about the tooltips. I've been testing this and we have talked here about various options and frankly none of the options that we could come up with sounds perfect. For example, tooltip delay partially fixes the problem you're describing but at the same time it makes comparing item properties annoying. Remember, LoG is not DM and in LoG it's pretty important to know the properties of items because they tie directly to the skill system. But anyway, I have added a tooltip delay that can be enabled and tweaked from the config file. If better ideas come up we can consider changing this in a later patch.
djbone wrote:So i have a question for the developers : Are you surprised to have so much good reviews anywhere (and no bad reviews at all) ?
We didn't really know what to expect because it was a big mystery how the crowds would react to this type of game. After all, the genre has been pretty much dead for a long time. The reviews and feedback has been super positive and we're very glad about it! There have been only two or so negative reviews and the reviewers very clearly of newer generation. This also seems to reflect on the sales numbers in a pleasant way, so it's pretty easy to say that we're going to be around for another project!
Kenshiro wrote:Awesome job petri, I'll support you and the guys at AH until the end of time!
Thank you! :D
PetriH wrote:Thanks for the offer but I don't think I have enough time or interest to make it commercial. Moreover I don't see it could be a commercial success being kinda old fashioned and all.
Heehee, that's funny! :lol: Do I have to eat my Flarefeather Hat now? :wink: