Different way to handle "The End" screen

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Different way to handle "The End" screen

Post by Lord_BoNes »

While testing my dungeon, I've noticed that when all party members die, it goes to the "The End" screen. Which is what is expected. But, could the "The End" screen have 2 buttons (instead of simply waiting for a click before quitting)... 1 button that says "Restart", which dumps you back to the front-door with a reset dungeon (or reloads the most recent save, in which case it could say "Reload" instead)... and 1 button that says "Quit", which obviously quits DSB.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Different way to handle "The End" screen

Post by Gambit37 »

Line 178 in system Lua has a function that can be overidden.

There's nothing in there for drawing the The End screen so I don't know if you can override it to do what you want, but perhaps give it a go?

Code: Select all

-- Everyone's dead. Go "AAAAH!" and wait for a little bit.
function sys_everyone_dead(last_dead)
	dsb_sound(snd.scream)

return 70 -- amount of time to pause before restart
end
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I believe that sys_everyone_dead would be more useful at intercepting a party "wipeout"... make something special happen (like revive everyone and tick down a counter, when the counter reaches 0 then don't revive them... would work like "extra lives")

As you said, sadly, there's nothing in the base code about how the "The End" screen is draw or handled :(
Sophia could always expose it to Lua... or simply add the 2 buttons I mentioned.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Just like DM, the "the end" screen does present the option to reload a save, if one exists.
So, it will allow a reload if there is actually something to reload, and quit DSB if not. This is the same thing DM did.

At some point I might expand this, but it is, admittedly, not high on my priority list. :)