Keyboard layout prob

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Van
Novice

Keyboard layout prob

Post by Van »

I tried to play CSB in Atari ST emulator Pacifist and I managed to make it go, only one thing is holding me back-the blasted keyboard.

I can move via arrows (inverted T) but turning is keyed only to 'insert' and 'Home' keys which are about an inch and a half above the arrows.

Can't play like that! Is there a way to enable the numeric keypad? I tried to switch the joystick off, that's supposed to transfer control to the pad but no go. If I cannot move around well, the armored worms will eat me alive every time. Help :)

I've also tried the Winston emulator but I can't seem to manage to load a save game after picking my party and saving to drive B and then going to utility and choosing 'make new adventure' which does something but then I try to restore saved game but Winston just keeps asking for save disk in drive B, its there but it doesn't see it, the whole procedure is confusing to say the least.

If I cannot play CSB in Pacifist or Winston, what are (next) best options? Have Win98/AMD K-6 II and can run pure DOS or Win95.

Van
Zyx
DSA Master

Best platform for CSB

Post by Zyx »

For CSB, I found it easier and better to play on an
emulated amiga. I use fellow.
For pacifist, it's been a long time since I tried last time, but i believe there was a way to map differently the num pad in the pacifist.ini. BTW, did you try with the num lock on/off?
Van
Novice

Re Best platform for CSB

Post by Van »

Sorry, been away.

Yes, I checked the Numlock before and right now also, it doesn't seem to have any effect toggled either way, that is, nothing changes, there is no response to any keys. I also looked into .ini file but there is no mention of anything related to keyboard, I changed the joystick form 'yes' to '= no' in the hope it will have some effect insted of just disabling it inside PacifiST but again no effect.

Here is what the pacifiST manual says:

"4.4 Keyboard Mapping
--------------------

Since v0.41, the keyboard mapping is similar to the Atari's, except that:

- HELP is mapped on PageUp
- UNDO is mapped on PageDown

- CTRL+Break performs a reset (add SHIFT if the reset vector is trapped by the current program)

- If NumLock is on, the Numeric Pad is the same as on Atari, else it is used for the joystick emulation (CTRL is fire)."

Btw, what key is the 'Break' key, that puzzles me.

I tried to use the WinSTon first as it just fell into my eye, then when I couldn't make it go, I downloaded the PacifiST, it is actually bundled in a zip file and the CSB disk image plus save game disk are both included to make it simple for people who can't figure things out by themselves. It is frustrating to be this close and cannot play, why nobody makes keyboard with six arrow keys to accomodate game players, why...

I think I take your advice and try the Amiga Fellows.

Thx
Van
Van
Novice

I think, I need some help with Fellow

Post by Van »

I have Fellow 033 or 032a and as per advice form the "Un-official Dungeon Master Website"
<a href="http://freespace.virgin.net/daniel.durg ... csb.htm</a>
I tried to run CSB but get kicked out of Fellow when trying to run the game. I mamaged to get hold of some ROM files but they have funny names like kick.40.70 or Kick40.068 ...

I renamed the first one as kick.rom and loaded it into Fellow, it recognized it OK only it may not be the ROM which is OK for running CSB.,

Any idea?

Van
Zyx
DSA Master

kickroms

Post by Zyx »

I think you should try with these kickroms:
kickrom13
kickrom30
kickrom31

I don't know your email, so, if you don't have them, mail me at:
bprieu@yahoo.com