Programming (General)

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Oldman

Programming (General)

Post by +Oldman »

Just a general question,
I know some of you guys are programming your own DM clones, and i was hoping to take up some serious programming for myself. But i don't really know where to start, I've made databases in basic and stuff but nothing more complex. Do any of you have suggestions for which language to use?
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

try c++ or java java is supposed to be easier to learn (i'm not sure if it really is), and has the benefit of a free compiler, but you can't get the same speed.
you can buy a book or look at tutorials on the net.
+lucky charms

Post by +lucky charms »

I think Pascal is the language of choice to learn programming skills. The reasons being that it basically reads like English, and that it is _very_ structured, logical, etc. It also encourages clean programming practices and for some reason programs written in c++ can often be written in pascal with one quarter the lines of code. But then again c++ is going to allow you to do things you cannot do so easily with Pascal, but I wouldn't think you'd want to start off doing these things. I don't really know anything about Java, except that its primary use is for building web applets (I think).
Cheers,
+ruiner

Post by +ruiner »

Personally, I would recommend C, and then moving on to C++. I know it's not the easiest language to learn, but for games in particular, it seems to be the most popular language, and I've come across all kinds of tutorials, and even web sites, devoted to programming games in C/C++.

And because of its' popularity, there are tons of good books around for it, too. As for compilers, there's a freeware compiler called LCC floating around, which isn't too bad. Hell, on a magazine last month, I got a full copy of Borland C++ Builder 3. Version 4 is the current one, but for learning purposes, who cares?
+Oldman

Post by +Oldman »

Thanks for the advice guys, I was just wondering is there anywhere i can go on the web to hold of a free copy of C, and a compiler?

If not how much is it likely to cost to buy a version, and where is the best place to look for it?
Thanks, Oldman
+Decayer

Post by +Decayer »

You can get DJGPP, a free C/C++ compiler, at: www.delorie.com/djgpp
+Oldman

Post by +Oldman »

What about a copy of C or C++ itself?