DM Designer

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Simon

DM Designer

Post by +Simon »

I've been writing a DM-alike for a while, and its nearing completion. I'd like some suggestions from people as to new features to put in that DM didn't have - so I can make things really cool.
Its not intended to look and feel like DM, just to be based on it and very similar. The programme is written for windows, and it actually contains a complete design environment like visual basic. When you start the programme, you load a dungeon file and a map editor and object editor appears. It is then possible to play the game, or edit the graphics and stats and abilities of every object and every monster in the game. Maps can be created from scratch, and every graphic in the game can be edited. There is also a design mode where you can play the game as normal except that items can be dragged from the item editor onto the floor. In this mode, changes to the map appear instantly in the game. In this way, you can design a dungeon while playing it first hand.
The only trouble is, being a windows programme, it is rather huge! Any suggestions for additions would be appreciated.
+lucky charms

Post by +lucky charms »

sounds cool . . . but where's the game? we can't make suggestions if you don't show us it :). size of programs is not really an issue (selon moi) in today's world because of the stupid amount of everything from ram to sheer horsepower that computers have. of course, this tends to allow for lazy programming practices because you don't need to optimize your code . . . i'm not in any way accusing you of this though ;). cheers!
+ruiner

Post by +ruiner »

What kind of engine does it use? Specifically, how much real 3D does it use, and how much is 'clever' 2D? I ask, because I think an interesting idea to implement would be accurate projectile throwing. That is, instead of like in DM where items fly through the air then suddenly drop to the ground, they would gradually fall as they moved along, like real life. It wouldn't change playability, but it would look better (IMHO).
I'd also suggest the ability to aim at specific opponents (like when you face two baddies side-by-side) with your attacks, but I don't know how well that capability would fit into the interface. It worked well in the Amiga game Xenomorph, but you only controlled one person.
+Simon

Post by +Simon »

Don't worry - I'll get a beta up when I've got the graphics looking OK. At the moment, the system works fine but I never came up with a decent way of injecting the graphics. HATCHET: If you read this, is it Ok to use the graphics files from your beta temporarily so that I can get something that looks good?
In terms of expandability and extra function, the interface actually has a built in programming language. Not something like C++ that takes years to learn, but a system of my own devising. Basically, there are commands to position a pointer over any square of the dungeon, and then commands to act on the selected square (or the party). Code script can be attached to any object in the dungeon, so that a pressure plate, for example, can be made to do ANYTHING the language allows. Don't worry - there aren't any "format hard disk" commands in there! Also, code can be attached to a timer event for each level so that monsters can be generated every 2 seconds, for example. Code can be attached to spells, so that virtually any spell can be created. As you can see, it is feasible to add a lot of functionality through programming in the interface, without changing the .exe. I think thats probably going to be the main power of the system, with any luck.
Oh, and it's programmed in Visual Basic. And before you say anything, I thought it would be slow and tacky, too - but believe me it's quite fast enough. I've been programming for longer than I care to remember, so I know what you mean about sloppy programming. That is something I certainly agree with - and I always try to make my code as tight as possible.
Cheers. Keep the suggestions coming.
+H@tchet

Post by +H@tchet »

All I can say is.. woah! Sure, go ahead and use my pics, they're from DM, and I'm going to be replacing them with better ones anyways. :)
BTW, what "style" of coding will your scripting engine have? C style, Basic, some completely new style?
-H@tchet
+Simon

Post by +Simon »

Thanks. Obviously, I'm only making a DM style dungeon to test my system. Ultimately, there will be an .INI file containing changable co-ordinates so that even the layout of the playscreen can be changed to make a totally new looking game. Have you seen the screenshots (See the message above on the board) - what do you think?
To answer your question: The scripting language bears no resemblance to anything, but it's real simple to pick up. For example, POINTER 10,15 places the pointer at square 10,15; LEVEL 2 will change the level being referenced to level 2; and CREATEMONSTER 4 will create monster number 4 from the users monster library on the square. I want everyone to be able to code a new dungeon with little knowledge at all. There is also a procedure that runs when the dungeon loads so that any general stuff can be set up beforehand, and unlimited variables can be used with any name in order to create events that only happen if something else has already happened, for example.
I shall use the graphics from your programme to get a decent looking demo together. I'm also thinking of making a small web site for the programme so I've got somewhere to make the download available.
+Lucky Charms

Post by +Lucky Charms »

Why don't you make a graphical editing interface like DMute so that dungeons can be put together a lot easier? Or do you have that? Instead of typing POINTER 10,15 you could just point with the mouse. It would also provide a sort of index into the dungeon layout, so that rather than poring through pages of code to find the one square you're worried about, you just click on it in the editor. Ok, that's it for now.
+Lucky Charms

I'M A COMPLETE FOOL: IGNORE THAT LAST MESSAGE!!!

Post by +Lucky Charms »

I'M A COMPLETE FOOL: IGNORE THAT LAST MESSAGE!!!
+Simon

Post by +Simon »

Yeah, theres a lot to read in all those messages, huh? :-) The interface is fine for most things, but the language needs to be included so that people can tell active objects what to do!