Wizard levels and spells questions

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Brian

Wizard levels and spells questions

Post by Brian »

Are there any quick ways or tricks to get my wizard levels go up?
How come my wizard can't cast certain spells, is it low skill?
What is the best combination of Armor/ Weapons?
My best combo seems to be Excysmr+Vorax+#y Helm+TechPlate+fire polyn+#y grieves. Any suggestions?
Sundeep Nandra

Re: Wizard levels and spells questions

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

Wizards can't cast some spells due to low levels. Without a level, just use the light spell to get to neophyte or even novice (novice is gained quicker than neophyte in this way), then various levels of fireballs and poison clouds until, by around Artisan level, you are able to cast the highest level of fireballs consistently (hopefully). The longer-lasting light spell (the one actually called "light" as opposed to the simple, short "torch" spell I mentioned above) can be consistently successfully cast at its highest level when you are around..hmm..Adept or even Expert. Perhaps then there will still be an occasion when it'll fail. I always, in both this game and the first one..and CSB..build up my wizard levels in the same way.

Hmmm...I don't suppose anyone knows a quicker way? ;)...my way seems to work pretty well though...standard I guess.

For weapons...I think I used to get two....well the one that Severs twice...haven't played the game in a while. Plus, I think after that, Vorax (the red axe?)

A dungeon editor for DM2 would be so wonderful. You could at least make it back into what DM was like.....with the added effects and losing those flying sentries all over the place.

*sighs* :(
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

A dungeon editor for DM2 *is* possible, as it uses the same format as DM and CSB, only different limits and some new kind of tiles. Support a lot Guillaume Bastard (Sphenx), for he is the man working on an editor for DM and CSB!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

True, but I think DM2 uses 8 bytes per actuator rather than the six in DM and CSB, (which allows for activating objects on other levels for example) so any editor would obviously need different code to handle dungeons from both games.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Always try to cast at your limits, as of course the larger the spell you can cast, the more experience you get for it.
After fireball, I forget the best spell to try...I'd probably agree with Sundeep that light is a one, with the helpful side effect of having lots of light around!

I seem to recall fireshield being a good spell for later priest levels, you can still be pushing your limits with a MON on until = master.

And yes, support Guillaume, he's already released a taste of his editor in the file share section.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Casting Attack and Guard Minions seem to be not only the best wizard and priest spells for me once I reach the master levels, but also the most useful. They helped my characters become Archmasters for both the Wizard and Priest level.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

:o
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

To Gambit: I'm 95% certain that every kind of item use the same amount of bytes than in DM. Why? Because the maps are at the end of the file; I made a little programm to show them; it needs to calculate the offset by considering the bytes of all the previous objects. It wouldn't work if there were a change in the bytes needed for each object.
Cokecan

Post by Cokecan »

Once your characters reach Expert and low-level Masters in Wizard and/or Priest, you may want to cast the Minion Spells:

Guard Minion - (power) ZO EW NETA (Priest Spell)

Attack Minion - (power) ZO EW DAIN (Wizard Spell)

I find casting these two, even if they fail, is good for experience.

And you can turn and attack the minion itself (especially the Guard Minion) for Fighter/Ninja experience after!

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”