Can I run this in window?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
LoganX

Can I run this in window?

Post by LoganX »

Is there an easy way to run this in a window on my desktop?
I have the original version and run WinXP
Thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM needs to run in DOS, so you can either use a DOS emulator (like DOSbox, see DM2 thread) or try one of the clones - CSBwin, RTC or DMJava
ppera
Novice

Post by ppera »

Or you can run Atari ST emulator in Windows. Steem 'overclocked' to some 64 MHz runs DM and CSB very nice...
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

CSBwin...doesn't that use dos? I know RTC works on XP.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Erm...well, it's called CSB >>>WIN<<< for a reason...
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Yeah, good point...but that startup window, isn't that in dos?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Huh? CSBWin runs entirely in Windows...that's why it's called CSBWin. Unless you were referring to some other program...but you implied you were talking about that one /shrug.
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Yeah...Am I misunderstanding something? Did camping waste my brain?
I'm sure it's CSBwin that does this...it says in a dos window
...Ok, now I understand...click CSBwin with the sword! *plucks himself in the head a bunch of times!* I always use the dos button because the first time I used this program, the CSBwin with the sword didn't want to work for me. I've always used the dos thing, which has a dos window before.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

/shrug
I dunno. If it works, it works. I'd never even consider trying to load it from the DOS prompt 'cause it's a Windows program. Anyway, you got it to work now, so it doesn't matter.
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Right. Black Flame(Paul H's dungeon) helped me to understand this, I went into there to get what the prompt says...and it didn't have the prompt thing. Without thinking, I just clicked the sword.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

CSBWin is a Windows game, only the shortcut you're using to launch it uses the Command Line, the "modern" equivalent of DOS. It's not proper DOS, just some sort of "emulated under Windows" DOS.
ppera
Novice

Post by ppera »

This is not correct explanation. Windows XP still has some DOS support. Not emulation. Point by CSBWin is not command line, but BAT(CH) (this is some kind of script) file for starting. It is used with goal to save some space, not only for start program.
Unfortunatelly, todays 'WIN' generation usually don't know nothin about such DOS stuff.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Couldn't agree less... I was just trying to make it simple. So much for that.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The batch file isn't space saving, all it is doing is selecting the right directory to start the right dungeon (so you can have multiple dungeons with one CSBwin - very handy considering it updates every 3 seconds : ) ). However, you can simply start the CSBwin file directly as long as you have the dungeon and config files in the same root folder with it. Most custom dungeons are released as a package like this now. The original CSBwin (with DM and CSB) uses the batch file system.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Ah. I just have more folders for more CSBwin games. I guess this means that I can delete the batch file, right? That should give my computer some space.
ppera
Novice

Post by ppera »

beowuuf wrote:... all it is doing is selecting the right directory to start the right dungeon (so you can have multiple dungeons with one CSBwin -
Isn't it what I'm talking - only one exe file for many dungeons ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Probably, I was and am very tired : )
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Sometimes it needs to be explained in two different ways to make sense though. I don't see the same thing in those two things.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Each dungeon I play has its own csb.exe and associated files. It really doesn't take up that much room, its not even worth discussing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's not room so much for me as engine updates and ease of finding. I used to keep everything in the CSBwin folder, and played with batch files so it was easy to update and play anything. Then I got lazy and just created new folders (since engines come with each) and also for any dungeons I am playing aorund with, and now each engine update I have to remember to update all the folders - and yes I have just stuck the folder in arbitrary places when I first unpack them : )
ppera
Novice

Post by ppera »

PaulH wrote:Each dungeon I play has its own csb.exe and associated files. It really doesn't take up that much room, its not even worth discussing.
Yes, yes... Everybody has now multi GB hard drive(s). Point is not in place consumption. Point is in that, that when someone writes here explanations, it should be accurate. Certainly BAT file is not same as LNK (shortcut).

Why newer versions of CSBWin are distributed in this way, you should ask author, Paul Stevens...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Custom dungeons are distributed as a pack with the engine the author knows works, so you don't have to scramble around for all the files, or even need to know what CSBwin is - which would deter any casual person from bothering with these dungeons I guess. 'Oh, it's not for PC DM...I need to download what from where and set it up how? Bah!' Stable releases of the engine are still in the same format with bat files to lauhc the correct dungeons