Gender-specific equipment/items.

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

Gender-specific equipment/items.

Post by Daecon »

I notice that some equipment is obviously designed to be worn by characters of a certain gender, but there's nothing in the game mechanics that prevents Halk the Barbarian from wearing Azizi's bikini top, for instance...

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile having a checkbox to limit items being used/worn by characters based on their sex, and that would give you more pause for thought when choosing your party members as well.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

Post by L!ghthouse »

Great idea! I second this motion. :D
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

You can do this already using the existing mechanics - have the item in question have a CONVERT_EQUIP action that goes through a relay that checks the gender of the character...

I've seen one of Sophias test dungeons that had exactly this in - not sure if it was publicly available though, but you could always ask to have a look if you can't figure it out from the above!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, actually men can wear bikinis if they choose to (although I recommend using socks to fill them out). The reason that men usually don't wear them is that they don't need them and that society excpects them not too. But having the engine keep you from making you Halk the Barbarian into Halk the sweet transvestite doesn't seem reasonable to me - that's at least as strange as roleplaying games that say "no you can't use the axe because you're a wizard" - I mean everybody can try to grab an axe and commit a murder, and likewise everybody can wear a bra; how he looks in that bra is a different question of course.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

After you wishing the engine top be as flexible as possible ypou are saying no to somehting?

Anywyam custom dungeon, mechanics exist, no problem if it's for their wn dungeon, big problem if it's suggested for the RTC original : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:After you wishing the engine top be as flexible as possible ypou are saying no to somehting?

Anywyam custom dungeon, mechanics exist, no problem if it's for their wn dungeon, big problem if it's suggested for the RTC original : )
He's saying the opposite Beo! The original request is actually LIMITING, not increasing the flexibility of the game in any way.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The request was to have a flag for addign a new property to the engine (just like a removeable flag, etc) so expanding the engine capabilities - like many things, not actually needed as the engine is flexible enough

I'd say no to including it in the RTC-DM dungeon, but otherwise was keepign out of it so amused Lunever was actually saying no to an engine / game suggestion!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually lunever, were you sdaying no at all? Lol, i don't think you were : )
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

No, I personally don't disagree that he was not
resisting the exclusion of no un-needed features.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thank god you don't have my attrocuious spelling augemented by laptop keys or else that sentence could have been incomprehensible!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

As an official representative of RUNDMC (Registered UNion of Dungeon Master Characters) I wish to demand the right of my members, particularly those of debatable gender, to wear any protective garments they see fit. Oh and that halter shows my pecs off a treat.

Halk the Barbarian.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Halk is in the closet and in denial of his love for linflas. Anything else is slander!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

As long as the bra is more protective than his breast hair,
kirtle, robe and silk shirt, Halk will insist on wearing it!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

George Gilbert wrote:You can do this already using the existing mechanics - have the item in question have a CONVERT_EQUIP action that goes through a relay that checks the gender of the character...

I've seen one of Sophias test dungeons that had exactly this in - not sure if it was publicly available though, but you could always ask to have a look if you can't figure it out from the above!
Ah cool, problem solved then. :D

I'll have a play about and see if I can figure it out.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Poor Halk, kept in the closet, away from his love... Will he now play with his large wooden club all by himself?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well he's always banging away at something with that bit weapon of his...
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

Dirty minds.. or maybe it's just me.. :)