Converting DMJava dungeons to RTC

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamu99
Novice

Converting DMJava dungeons to RTC

Post by isamu99 »

Hi George. First of all fantastic work on the new RTC. It rocks BIG TIME! :D

I was wondering. Have you played DM Java? If so, what do you think of its engine?

I really like what Alandale started with that project. It's very intuitive and the editor in particular is very very good. What do you think of the possibility of converting RTC over to the DM Java engine?
Playing Dungeon Master + listening to Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me by The Cure = RAPTURE!!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: George have you thought about using the DM Java engine?

Post by George Gilbert »

isamu99 wrote:Hi George. First of all fantastic work on the new RTC. It rocks BIG TIME! :D
Glad you like it :D
isamu99 wrote:What do you think of the possibility of converting RTC over to the DM Java engine?
No chance whatsoever. They are two completely different things...
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

what a pity. I would really like to see old DMjava dungeons in the RTC versions (recreate)!! but there`s always a chance to convert them manually.
Maybe someone would convert best DMjava dungeon to RTC format, and another person deal with graphics?

I was thinking about resurrecting one of these:

Code: Select all

For DM Java 
Order of Sar by Alistair 
Dungeon of Doom 2 by Argainar 
Drago's dungeon by Bahamut0 
Original Dungeon Master dungeon by BigCalm 
EOB 1 and 2 by David Hall, comments 
- links currently dead, alternate downloads here and here 
Moria - The Doors of Durin by Gerald Gantschnigg 
Dmjava + Addon by Germanny 
Dormalon by K.T. 
Grags dungeon by Mark 
The Fallen Temple by Michael Largey 
Paul's dungeon by Paul 
Black Crypt remake by Relig 
Chaos Strikes Back dungeon by Wishbone 
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DMJava dungeons come with their own graphics, they have to
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Or vice versa How about making it csbwin compatible?(just kidding here, so forget it..)

Generally a good idea to see how much of old is reconstructable..
Eob (AD&D) could actually work with the runes having to be found
[would work like mage scrolls into spellbook]

Also it is quite a challenge to see how to work around things that
seem not possible at first glance 8)

Should be decided on one at first, which seems to be dm2 atm
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Adamo wrote:what a pity. I would really like to see old DMjava dungeons in the RTC versions (recreate)!! but there`s always a chance to convert them manually.
Absolutely.

I don't think that there's anything special in the DMJava engine that the RTC engine can't also do, so it's "just" a question of porting the maps / graphics from one to the other. If you have both editors open side by side then that should be fairly straightforward - a bit time consuming, but an awful lot less time that completely re-writing the RTC engine!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM Java apes DM in the regard of one type per tile and no new item types, so yes, should be very doable to anyone with the time and will

And anyone can reconstruct any DMJAva I believe with everything in RTC just now, so anyone who wants to should go for it
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

What about the special floor and wall tiles that don't allow monsters to pass through them?
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

1. Special floor tiles: Zokathra, monster teleporters should deal with it (don`t allow monsters to pass through these tiles).
2. Special wall tiles: as far as I know, monsters (like ghosts,etc) cannot walk through real walls, as it is in DMjava, right? (untill GG will implement that function in monster editor)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Basically yes, you use teleporters in the wall and floor, and no, creatures don't walk through walls in RTC...if you want this bevaviour, you can hack it yourself or play under DM Java ... same with stair climbing
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Ah yes, one-step-back teleporters, of course. :)

The characters in DM Java have an 'unlockable' ability when they reach a certain level, I found when playing around with the characters in the DM Java editor. I guess that this can be done by creating a custom attack method with a high level requirement to use, and replacing one of the three default attacks with it, but then that would leave you with one attack short.

Can right-click menu options be done in RtC?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Read the guides, look at the editor. There are sub-menus, so you can filter the attacks through a relay - have a punch be a punch, until at high levels you instead generate a second menu that says 'normal' or 'des ew' punch for example

This is of course assumign you want to be that exacting abotuthe port, and assumign anyone has even used those functions in a DM JAva dungeon you wish to port
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Sub Menus? I didn't know that.

Would that require the need for a relay then? You could have Normal Punch at Level 0 and Des Ew Punch with a minimum level of 10 anyway, or something.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm calling them sub-meuns, really they are menus - as you can generate them with any action (see the complex dungeon for an exampel of NPC interraction using them)

The only reason you would need a relay is to filter when that is available - the relay could detect if the party member was a adept ninja so you coudl decide whether a normal punch happened, or whether a sub menu came up

you could, right form the start, use the sub menu system so that you have 'attack' 'defend' and 'specil' options for each unarmed character that give you new menus such as punch/kick, 'block/parry' and then the third would be say war cry / special ability / climb. This would not require a relay oif all options were to be available from the start (eg a dragon charatcer can always breathe fire)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Beo wrote:
same with stair climbing
can you use a teleporter near the stairs then, wchich is teleporting monster on higher/lower level with a short delay?
Staircase is a special kind of a teleporter, I think?
OR: can staircase teleport monsters also, not only the party?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I was experimenting with this in DM/CSBwin where the engine was more limited - stairs are a special type of teleporter with a few quirk rules attached... i dunno if it would be easier in the end to have the engine do it, but then who needs that format change just now. I have not tried monsters on stairwells to see how they act, if they exists there and move off fine (and block party access) then it's all good! If not, i would actually fake stairwells and instead use a teleporrter system that dealt with monsters, party etc. Be a bit more work, but then that's how yah learn stuff and alos how you will every surprise peopel who know what the engine should be cabaple of during play : )
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

another thingie to convert a typical dungeon from DMjava properly is to:

1. let all monsters (not only gigglers) steal items from a party (I think it`s already doable in RTC)
2. monsters can also pick up items from a floor in DMjava.
3. oh, and mixing different kinds of monsters on one tile - I don`t know if it`s possible in RTC.

But, in general, I guess it wouldn`t be tremendously hard to convert a dungeon into RTC format, especially with the new, "powered" RTC. IMHO it might be worth of some work, because some DMjava dungeons are really cool and doesn`t have an equivalent in RTC/CSBwin. I always wanted to play some cool DMjava dungeons on CSBwin/RTC, because these are more approximated to original FTL game than DMjava.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No, not without a major set of hacks that would really outway the benefit. If you need it play DM Java

Well then, after your CSBwin dungeon is finished, get cracking!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

3. well, I think we can live without it

Beo: I`ll try to recreate one of the games from DMjava (which DMjava game that doesn`t have an RTC equivalent, except original DM & CSB converted of course, is the best in your opinion?), but it might take a loooot of time... I don`t know RTC engine that well as CSBwin... Unless RTC veterans helps me ;)
First of all, I need to pass #@$#$% exams and then finish my Dungeons of Death... then maybe convert it to RTC, if possible.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I haven't played any DM Java dungeon enough to know
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I think ghost can walk through normal walls in DM Java : if you look at the ghost zonesin the editor, they are surrounded by green squares on the walls not letting ghost passing. It would have no point if the ghost could not pass through wall.

DM Java editor is simple but far less powerful than RTCEd. Each tile type is a new object, so you cannot mix types. The only thing that could be difficult to do is the monster using stairs: in DM Java monster know that you have gone upstairs, and thus follow you.
I think in RTC it is more like original DM/CSB : monster switch to a wandering behaviour after some time when you leave the level. So even if you did a teleporting system, there is no garantee monster would take it, beside all the bother of making a teleport square looking like a stair. Am I wrong ?

But in fact, I have often considered making a Dungeon in DM Java using this stair feature : imagine a dungeon where there is NO safe place, with some meany monster chasing you everywhere (preferably a bit slow, but very strong, so that it will surprise you during sleep...).

Now I am looking into RTC to see how to implement some of the ConfluxIII features, just to explore RTC possibilities/training before making my own dungeon.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CSBwin and RTC should be faily compatible to create soem of the features - the scripting ability of DSAs is quite powerful, but I think RTC has taken enough leaps that nothign cannot be done another way

Eh, the problem with creating no safe place is that it can get annoying if you have not created a good game balance in the toughness of critters. I don't think the stairs thing would be a huge hassle in creatign a teleporter looking liek stairs, it will be more in the fine detaisl - battles on stairs, how and when stairs can get cblocked or not, how monsters and player interracts at the foot/top of the stairs, etc
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

That's what I was thinking about : I am pretty sure in DM Java you can be attacked from behind while on a stair... very dangerous !
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

OK, I'm really green with RTC's setup for creating dungeons, but I have to ask, how would you import new monsters/wall sets/sounds into RTC from DMJava?

All the images in DMJ are gifs and the sounds are wavs. Would someone need an extra program to convert it into RTC??

Or would you have to manually re-draw them in a different format?
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Well I guess you could open them in something like MSPaint, then choose "Save As..." to save it as a .bmp file.

I suppose you would have to make sure that the dimensions of the new image are the same as the dimensions of the .bmp pictures you want to replace, otherwise it will look strange.

I just did something like that myself with the DMJava character portraits, fortunately they're all a standard 64x58 size so I didn't need to do anything there, except make sure the X/Y alignment was the same as all the other character portraits when I imported them into the RTC Editor. (X=0/Y=-24)
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Ah, OK. Thanks.

I thought that you might have to import the data first, then create the dungeon.

That's not so bad then. Still some of work, but not bad.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You meed to make sure the transparent colour is power pink too