Reworked Monsters (DMJava)

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kelly
Artisan

Reworked Monsters (DMJava)

Post by Kelly »

Hey!

As some may have noticed, I've been trying to "add to" the java code for DMJ.

This is still happening - but is taking some time.

Anyway, in between doing this, I've taken some time to rework the monsters in DMJ. Graphical modification has been a hobby of my for some time (done alot for another game), so I've taken an interest in doing some graphics for DMJ.

Unfortunately I cannot post any of my work - but if you are interested, feel free to pm me your email address and I'll send them to you. Alternatively, you can always email me directly, or just catch me online on Yahoo.

I will be adding extra deko (using the pillar selector), and change the wall deco as well - might be nice to see some alternate wall decoration in a dungeon!

Anyway, if you want these graphics - just let me know.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Kelly, just out of curiosity, what was this game for which you reworked some graphics in the past?
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

I've done alot of work for the game Yuri's Revenge - I'm a modder.

What's this some might say??? - Red Alert 2 - Xpack.

Still not sure??? Google!!! :lol:

A BIG difference, I know - but I like a variety of styles - I've also done some NeverWinter Nights modifications in the past - but nothing I was really proud of.

I'm not skilled enough to create 3D models, which is another reason I chose to modify the game mentioned previously. Everything is 2D - which is what I work with and to add animation was simplicity in itself.

As for DMJ, it's more of a challenge - not just the sprites, but the "coding" as well. It takes more time, and I can really get into doing detail - which is what makes the end result worth the effort.

I've done quite a few graphical additions for DMJ a while ago, mostly taken from DM2 and reworked, but I'm not too fond of the monsters - too cartoony for my liking.

Anyway I will rant on!! But while I'm here, I've nearly finished a new mon' for DMJ - just the side views to do - it's a Dark Elf - will look cool in an outside dungeon view and the DMJ dragon is now green. Also made some improvements to it's skin, eyes and teeth.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Kelly.
Yuri's Revenge mods? I played Red Alert 2 (with expansion it is more fun , because of a many additional units) over network for quite some time, and a year or so ago, -maybe less- we played it once more.
I am sure the mods of yours( have not thought about yuri modding when I think about it!!) could provide me and my pals once again with some hours of fun with this nice game.
(where can I get these mods /mods of yours in particular, I would like to take a <critical> look ;) ?)

Hope your effort / endeavour yields(many monsters) and is ongoing for your dmj project. IN other words good luck
Nice to see someone with that much elan(engl.=vim/pep/pizazz/verve/go??) on modding. Makes my fingers itch to mod , too. (Done very little monster mods but unfinished mostly, it is not that easy to get the pixels right and I have now started school which means it is kind of a general change in my daily life and rythm, so I hope to get back to it once more )
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

RA2 is a cool game - but Yuri is better.

As for mods - they are a team effort - usually about 3 or 4 people in a team, myself being the graphical designer and basic coder.

The mods I was working on have not yet been released to the public - (still some work to be done) but there are some great mods out there.

I've done alot of misc buildings that I have posted over at "Revora Forums" - that's if I haven't removed them - can't remember
now! Some of them were made when I first started out - which aren't so good - but the recent ones (about last year) are much improved, with animation.

As for other mods, they are out there - but some require additional tools.
Best to head to Revora and check out the forum - but read the tutorials first before asking any questions. They aren't too fond of newbies!!! (Most are okay, but you will get the odd few who will be kinda cold).

But when you've got the tools, you can design your own missions, add new voxels (tanks,vehicles),infantry - you name it.

For a first mod - I would recommand "Robot Storm" - made by a couple of friends of mine - just google it - it's got it's own website.

And you can play over the net with any mod you download (just be sure your mates have the same mod installed) - and it's got it's own forum specially for this.

If you do decide to get into modding - there is a vast amount of tutorials to go through if you get stuck, so it won't look so daunting as you might think! And I can help you out too! :P
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Kelly, this is much info cheers!
revora is a bit disturbing for me right now, so I check it out another day.
I took a look at Robot storm- funny descriptions next to the new units
Well, time to play it here is maybe over, people here want to
play newer games, but nevertheless worth checking out the site !

As for me , I would like to first finish a dm mod custom
dungeon(new levels and new graphics) and so I am interested most in
pixel art regarding graphic for this case.What I think I do know about
pixel art is that you can virtually add a third colour to your two colours,
if you mix 50/50 of your initial colours in the middle part.

Apparently that is called colour gradient. Lacking that is the main reason my custom
monsters do look sketchy and most of all unfinished.
If you have any tips on that or how to make animations, I would like to hear about it.

Hopefully, one day I am able to produce and finish a complete
polished colourgradientsupported super mega scary custom monsters set ..

At my country here , modding refers to computer cases and cables as well..but that is at your place maybe the same??
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Colour gradiet can be done through paint shp etc - sorry if i misunderstood the concern, i maaaay be a little enibrated right now...

Kelly, if no one else has said this, welcome to the forums and nice work attenpting to dicipher the DM Java code - Alandale himself has admitted his code, sicne it was his first major coding or something, it is pretty horrendous in places
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

E.g. your avatar beo: how would that be best made into pixel art with colour gradient? If you had 2 greens (light and dark).
at the borderlines of the
arm for instance you mix the 2 greens to get a smooth transition.
I would like to know if there are any techniques for that or whether
you had to count pixels and so on. I think I did it on feeling, not counting in the past.(when doing my very first avatars)

I guess for high resolution images with many colours you can possibly use a paint programme's tool for that task, or use alpha channel to see through, or use additive colours (which is really nice) but if you have, like the case is
with csbwin you have 16 colours, maybe less and not that many pixels, let's say roughly around 80x80 for medium size monsters or so it is not easy..one way would maybe to make a extra large version
of the monster in detail and 15 colours and then shrink it into the
desired size..
but not wanting to hijack this thread so I stop here.
(play music here)
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Thanks for the greetings, Beowuuf. :D

Zoooom - what program are you using??? Are you creating the graphics "straight out" or using a 2D wireframe???

Personally, I prefer Adobe. It's a sophisticated program, which I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything about it - but I can aid you in the things I do know. As for, CSBWin I can't help, as I have never looked at it - but I can help with the graphics for DMJ.

Basically, I do all my work from a "mainframe" or "template" image.
So, for example, I want to create an upright creature - with arms and legs - I will use an appropiate image, similar in shape. I then black this out and begin adding my own textures to it, layering as I go.
For shading, I use a varity of opacity, multiply and pattern overlay.

I was lucky enough to purchase a cd of texture packs a while ago, which helps to create the eyes and skin. They are all in greyscale colour, which allows me to add my own colours and additional textures to them.

If you're interested, pm me your email and I'll send you my latest work and a doc file to talk you through how I did it.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

The programme I currently use is Gimp / pc.
In the past I had the opportunity to take a look at
deluxe paint on the amiga , and a recent photoshop.
In school and the parallel internship I will occasionally
sit in front of macintosh computers. They seem to be
made mainly for graphic.

concerning monsters:
"straight out" more or less hits the nail on the head, I guess.
The creature gets drawn(first of all on paper in various ways)
After I have found the one I want(weapons ,poise, function) I do some
others that fit to the theme in general and to the first monster.
After that initial brainstoming, I get to the task of trying to create a good looking graphic.
I start drawing the creature's outline in gimp , on the final
size of the canvas; then I add colours , see how it behaves
in game and go on continuing to modify it.
Well, basically that's it...sometimes it looks ok,mostly when
the image is simple and when it makes sense to use copy and
paste and modified original material is being used; but most of the time it is not in the correct style when I start to do a graphic. And it is unfinished , it seems I reach a dead end.
my knowledge of programme capabilities is too limited and also I am lazy.;)
maybe I do things too long windedly to work efficiently as well, and ultimately not bothering then to getting them done .

ermm.
please send your latest work to my email address (check->pm)
I have a slight idea what you described but I definitely would
know more and ,of course, like to take a look at it ;)
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

While waiting for Cow's to complete his wall set, I've added some wall deco that fits in with his theme.

Only the wall ring so far - but to replace the wall hook, I'm adding some shackels that are daggling from the hook - still working on the side views at the moment.

I've also been concentrating on the wall deco / wall deco switches in the Java code. Bascially I'm changing the graphics, so we'll have "normal" wall deco - and the wall deco switches will be different - giving us a variety <(spelling?) of graphics to choose from.

I'll keep you updated....
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Let me know when you've finished a 'chunk' of the graphics.
I'm using Cow's graphics now, to see if I can find any bugs, and it'd be nice to include your changes too - I'll let you know of any problems then.

cheers!
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

@ Ian' - No prob, I'll email them to you on completion.

I have changed the graphical format from GIF to PNG in the java .class file.

I have made copies in both formats - but you'll still need the java .class file for the corrdinates to centralize the wall deco.

I'll email you some screenshots of what I've done so far.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Kelly, maybe you should add a 'counter' for completion of each game cycle, before adding more formats in, just to see if painting them on the screen kills the processor. Difficult to do accurately, though, so once every 100 cycles should give you a good idea.

'Luck!', as the Spanish would say.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you mean you guys are fixing them for me? ahhh.. to relax.. :D
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Oh nooooo Cow's!!! You don't get off that easy! :lol:

We're still expecting you to complete that wall set - AND the fountain!

Relax??? Not a chance!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Noooo, still got more work to do. I'm sending you an email.... NOW... with the 'problem'.

Basically now that you've 'softened' the edges of the walls (which looks great) the transparency around the edges in places show that there is a teleporter to the square front left.... Bugger, let me draw it (O= You; X = Wall; T = Flashing Teleporter).

TTXX
TTXX
XXOO
XXOO

Not a show stopper I know, but a pain in the butt! Particularly as the teleporter is flashing, it stands out far more than the static image that I've sent you.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ahh, well that would be the dungeon makers problem :)

I was aware of this issue as I was making them like that. I thought (personally) that it was both interesting and likley as if the dungeon was built as you've built yours.. there would be a visible crack through which dungeoneers could see to the adjacet rooms..

so, in the sake of realism.. so lies the price :)

you can always go back to the ones in the set still available for download as I've not yet updated them.

or.. you can put a wall in to prevent prying eyes :P
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

you mean those monsters?
I guess they could be easily ported to RTC:

http://www.freewebs.com/jake98989/mon.html
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)