Adding Animated GIFs in DMJava?

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kelly
Artisan

Adding Animated GIFs in DMJava?

Post by Kelly »

Hey.

I've been snooping around dmjava, adding custom items, mons and walls. Everything is coming along okay, but I'd thought I'd try adding a little anim to go with it.

Is it possible to do this.? Basically I've tried adding a custom door - which is an animated teleporter style effect. I can't play the anim in game.

Is this an error of mine, or is dmjava not capable of doing this?

It also won't except animated items or extra deco.

Any help would be appreciated.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There should be existing animated icons either in DMJava dungeon itself or in a custom....if you check out the link above to germanny's site to see if he has any animated gifs, and also look throughthe whole pictures in the dungeon.

What programme are you using to animate the gifs?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I notice cow's VI altar aimated graphic, check if this works when substitued?
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

The rebirth altar anim works okay, I have no problem adding this.

I'm using a bunch of addon packs which I've sorted into their own dir's - greenwalls, outside, blackwalls and so on. (+ all the EOB I & II stuff).

The anim I've added is copied into ALL these individual folders, including the main "Maps" dir in DmJava. (Just to be sure it wasn't that which was causing the problem).

Do you know if a certain number of frames is required for a specific thing - I've only done 5 frames for the door - just for testing purposes and about the same for the items I'm testing.

Oh and I'm using Adobe / ImageReady to make the GIF's.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm afraid DM Java isn't my thing, I played with it when it was first released an popular but have not touched it for quite a while - for thigns liek the altar I would assume the animation was of a fixed length, but otherwise you think you would be free

Maybe someone else could shed light on it...I do not recall this question comign up on the other forum though : (
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

the animated altar was made because the one inside the group of images I got to replace was animated. I used image ready to do it and I think it's just a matter of DMJ showing it for the length of it's animation and then taking it away.. I'm not sure how it works. though the lenth of my animation is not the same length as his animation.. so I don't know if it jumps back and plays more.. or stops short.. :P
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

@Cows' - I've checked out your Rebirth Altar - it's okay.

I would say it could do with a few extra frames though, but that's just my opinion - it does tend to "stop short" as you thought it would.

I appreciate the feedback given to me, but alas my original question still remains. Any futher insight into this problem would be welcomed.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Perhaps the door is a special case that you can't animate (since the door open must split of move the original gif) - have you tried thigns like animated icons like a buirning sword?
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Adding items in this way I've succeeded at doing. I just copied over the "Fury sword" for a brief example with no problems.

I have found now that the animated item being added must be "equipped" - like a sword or shield. That way you get the anim playing as it's in the characters' hand.

I have also found that the file name must be changed, with a " -anim" at the end.

I have yet to try if this is applicable to the doors or deko. I will check this later.

Thank you for taking the time to "voice" your suggestions - I really appreciate it. :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So the vi altar gets accessed, weapons are equipped - maybe have an open door and see if it animated after shutting it?
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Unfortunately not. I've been analyzing the java code and the anim doesn't "play" through a GIF file like you would assume. The teleporter - for example - is animated in game, yet it isn't an animated Gif. The java code tells the image to "flip" giving it the illusion of animation.

(I've checked this and it does "flip" from top to bottom continuously).

The same goes with the ful-ya pit. (side to side).
The only anim with a "gif" animation is the Rebirth Altar, and any Event Squares that one might wish to create.

The door "anim" again isn't actually animation - just another command - within the Java code telling it to "open".

So basically the only way I'm going to do what I wanted in my original question, is to use Event Squares - which, although are an excellent addition - are not up to the task.

(Event Squares can handle animated Gif's).

..And in case anyone still modifies DMJava - The telepoter can be used from ANY custom "maps" dir - just bear in mind that the initial "animation" will be flipped. The same as the flux-cage too, I believe, would work on the same principle.

Anyway, I'm just babbling on... Thanks again for your replies - any further ideas or suggestions are always appreciated.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You can animate the custom pillars too, I think.
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

Animation - at last!!!

It's a little long windowed - but if your willing to get creative you can achieve <(spelling?) some great effects.

How about a deko statue that holds a flaming torch who's flames animate?
Or a new door graphics that acts like a teleportation system?
Or a new sconce with a torch that's actually burning?
Or a fountain with running water?

I can go on - but there's just a few I've got working.
If anyones interested I'm willing to email you the files - and you will need a doc file to follow.

Let me know via a PM.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

They'll just wait for the dungeon...