RTC: THE DARK STRONGHOLD OF XAROSTAK release #5

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Actually, the potions have a use right there, but I would never have guessed it if not for the hint oracle.

The dead end I believe I found had 'this is your grave' written on a wall, or something to that effect, but it was in the old version, so I don't know if it's been fixed.

Also, in the new version (that I downloaded because even though I don't have time to debug other people's dungeons I still want to play,) I realized that bringing in a maxed-out character only takes the difficulty to 53%, and maxing out the hidden stats (9999 all the way, baby!) doesn't change anything to it, so I'm walking around with an almost unkillable one-man show and pulverizing everything in my path. This ought to be corrected, evidently.

Another glitch: some champions have equipment, but since the game only take imports, that equipment is lost upon entering the dungeon. Try looking at the CSB dungeon to see if you can figure out how the 'save-in-prison, reappear-in-dungeon' is done. I looked once, but couldn't find the mechanic. Drop me a line if you do find how it's done, it's a pretty cool effect :).

Also, the spellbook (assuming there is one!) is hidden too well, IMHO.

The hell hound puzzle behind the onyx lock is logical but poorly implemented. If the correct action is taken in the wrong place the hellhound cannot be moved anymore. This may be because of what happens when the alternate form gets killed, but I don't want to say too much so I don't spoil the puzzle for others. Oh, and since it's meant to be unkillable, make the hellhound invulnerable, please, you're just confusing people letting it soak damage.

I'm not actively hunting for bugs, for there is at least one torch-eating sconce remaining. (I could tell you where, but then you wouldn't check them all. 8) )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CSB doens't let you import charatcers with equipment, they are naked too

You put equipment on the import square and in the main section you enable auto-equip - voila, any imported character gets the stuff
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Import characters are always naked.

But that's not what I'm talking about. In CSB, if you start in the prison and resurrect characters, then go in the living rock section of the prison and kill a few, pick up the rocks and boulders, and save then quit, when you reload you'll be in the worm room of the dungeon with your rocks. That's the interesting mechanic I'm talking about.

Edit: Actually, I'm having doubts now. Was that only in the original CSB, and in RTC you have to use the 'make new adventure' function? I thought you only had to reload... I'll have to check.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I see...

Did GG enable the campaign game inventory a while back and it got lost in the host of features, or is this a 'feature'. I basically took the old characters from this dungeon and imported them into the new dungeon and nothing like that happened...

Will check CSB dungeon and see if anything happens tomorrow
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Alright, so I'm now officially insane. It doesn't work the way I described it. Though it'd be pretty cool if it did...

Also, since I haven't played the original CSB in years, I'm probably wrong on that count too. Oh well, sanity is overhyped anyways.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You've always had to make a new adventure even with the orignal engine, it just took the stats. Impossible to fudge the feature you suggest with dungeon mechanics : (

There was a huge reason why GG said this campaign idea was a bad idea to implement so that was why I was surprised if he did it, and certainly without fanfare!
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

Parallax wrote:Actually, the potions have a use right there, but I would never have guessed it if not for the hint oracle.
I have disabled now the possibility of removing the potions in Level 1. That could help I guess.
Parallax wrote: I realized that bringing in a maxed-out character only takes the difficulty to 53%, and maxing out the hidden stats (9999 all the way, baby!) doesn't change anything to it,
Does that mean, the monsters are too strong?
Parallax wrote:Also, the spellbook (assuming there is one!) is hidden too well, IMHO.
Yes there is one in Level 2. OK, I thought, there is a real chance to find the entrance, but maybe it is too hard. Have to think about a solution...
Parallax wrote: The hell hound puzzle behind the onyx lock is logical but poorly implemented. If the correct action is taken in the wrong place the hellhound cannot be moved anymore.
That is intended. That is the puzzle... But to give one a secound chance I have changed the behaviour of the hellhound.
Parallax wrote:I'm not actively hunting for bugs, for there is at least one torch-eating sconce remaining. (I could tell you where, but then you wouldn't check them all. 8) )
seems YOU have checked them all :mrgreen:

I think all the changes have to be released now. I think I will do this tomorrow - for now, good night...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Funnily, i got this one instantly even though I wasn't generally testing for it anywhere else. I guess I just assumed wizards are masters at certain things and checked for it right away...

Once again, never assume a player does anything nor has the same thought process as you all the time!

And yes, the monsters have quite large health, even at the start. Huge amounts of health does not equate to tough monsters though, it just equates to alot of hakcing away sometimes. Not sure what other factors RTC uses to determine party effetciveness, I believe it is now buried somewhere in the forums
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

released Version 3

- exchanged first Torch
- several small spelling mistakes fixed
- changed doorbehaviour in Level 6
- added wall inscription on Level 5 ("beware of immortal")
- fixed some settings on hellhound
- changed appearence of sign "congratulation"
- add Walltext "Worms only"
- disabled possibility of removing potions in Level 1
- marked entrance to spellbook better

---- link deleted ----
Last edited by THOM on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thom wrote: what do you mean by "how to have light"? And what is "exasperating" in your opinion? I am afraid, I can not follow you. Could you give more details (via pm if you think it is better)
i meant lightening the dungeon.
having to put the torch in every holder you see is exasperating because torch holders are black and you can't distinguish them in a full dark area.
i know this stronghold is dark, but well... :roll:
now, i'm stuck at the only way i found to go further because there still a holder that destroys your unique torch between 'catch it' and 'delinquent attacked invisible' (and this must be the only one in this corridor)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume you didn't manage to find the spellbook then : )
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nope, here's my situation :
- a "staff only" closed door with a blueish pad : does nothing apparently
- a "wrong way" opened door with a plate which probably closed...
- a pit where trolins escaped, i killed them all and found nothing except another blueish pad : also does nothing apparently
- a (nice) coin machine where i win nothing

and (promised) i won't click on all tapestries !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Staff only door - knock 'politely'

did you find the wizard school? if so, look close to there for your spellbook...
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Still debugging, but I'm one version late so I apologize in advance if these problems have been corrected.

The spellbook was not too hard to find actually. The delay on the trigger got me the first time around, even though I had found it. (I was wondering what it did.)

The first lever in the long row of levers in the 'animals' section does not seem to do anything. Please check.

Hint oracle for spellbook needs correcting: it IS possible to get all the scrolls. SPOILER:(ROS LO GOR, in your notation?)

Spellbook puzzle still (SPOILER):Is that the intended solution on the second green scroll? If so, it does not work.

Straw flooritem appears as hidden trapdoor on the magic map (more obvious with OH GOR ROS enabled.) Although it would be pretty clever as a puzzle in the right context, straw doesn't actually mask pits in any of the areas I have been to so far. It's distracting, please correct.

That's it for now.

For the difficulty setting problem, I'm not sure what's causing it. You'd have to ask GG for the details of how absolute difficulty is computed (i.e. how the 100% level is set.) In any case, it's a gamebreaking experience (but pretty cool for debugging :) ). It would be nice to let the dungeon developer override the setting if needs be, but that's for the RTC suggestions forum.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

beowuuf wrote:Staff only door - knock 'politely'
creating custom dungeons makes me forget obvious movements... :x
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

I wanted to ask also. Is there some kind of inside joke among DM/CSB afficionados about the 'no creature' scroll? It's the second custom dungeon I see it in already, and again it has no bearing or relevance on the plot at large. Just wondering.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Tee hee hee.

Yes, it's an inside joke.

Actually, you've just made it one. :twisted:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Look at it again when there is a creature...

(Yes, now you've almost made it mandatory that every custom dungeon must have a useless scroll that says 'no creature' on it)
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Wow, I never knew... I just tried it and, well... :oops:

That said, making a completely useless scroll that just says 'no creature' is not much of a difference. What's the use really? If at least the scroll read something cool like "My name is Inago Montoya. You killed my father" or something...
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

A new Realease of Xarostak
---- link deleted ----

what I have done:
- corrected several torch- and sconce-mistakes :)
- corrected map-icon straw mattress
- slightly redesigned shooting-area Level 1
- deleted a red herring
- several corrections on Level 6 (i.e. deleted dead end in chamber-of-worms)
Parallax wrote: The first lever in the long row of levers in the 'animals' section does not seem to do anything. Please check.
Well it does do anything! You just don't mind it...

what you tell about the spellbook-things I do not understand. can you please pm me to be more precise?
Parallax wrote: Straw flooritem appears as hidden trapdoor on the magic map (more obvious with OH GOR ROS enabled.) Although it would be pretty clever as a puzzle in the right context, straw doesn't actually mask pits in any of the areas I have been to so far. It's distracting, please correct.
ooops... :oops:

THOM
Last edited by THOM on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Parallax wrote:That said, making a completely useless scroll that just says 'no creature' is not much of a difference. What's the use really? If at least the scroll read something cool like "My name is Inago Montoya. You killed my father" or something...
Hey, I've got a good idea for a scroll.

How about one that says something like "Grynix ernum quey ki skebow rednim u os dey wefna enocarn aquantana".

If you put that in a dungeon then people would spend ages wondering what it meant when it was really completely useless. Bwaaa haaa haaa...

I'll get my coat.
Tonari
Craftsman

Post by Tonari »

I do not advance the dungeon any further.
My situation is written as follows.

-Item that seems to be important it of obtaining
SPELL BOOK, ALL RUNE, GRAPPLE, VORPAL BLADE, ONYX KEY(2), GOLD KEY(2), TOURQUOISE KEY, BLOOD KEY(3), SOLID KEY(2), SKELETON KEY, MASTER KEY, MOON KEY, LOCK PICKS
-All chamber was exceeded. Excluded to knock down the ghost.
-Two Tereportar operates in TRAFFIC.
-Place that cannot invade
Interior of VEXIRK AREA, The other side of waterside of GREEN HOUSE, Door of double keyhole, Bookshelf in the southwest of BIBLIOTHEKA
-Item of uncertain usage(It might be a decoration)
SCROLL in front of ABORT, SWEETS
-It is not possible to advance previously though the place that had been written, "MIND THAT YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF DEATH" was found. The returning thing cannot be done, too.

Can anyone give me the hint?

Moreover, if the character for the test remains in the dungeon as I wrote with RTC Suggestions, you should delete it.
If a strong character with concealed very high statistics is hated to invade the dungeon without the rise of the difficulty, it is necessary to import the character in impossibility.
It has the recovery of 9999, and the character that doesn't need food and water is very strong.
Please forgive poor English.
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

Tonari wrote: -Two Teleportar operates in TRAFFIC.
The "key" for Teleporter 3 is not far away.
You will not #4 get to operate right now...
Tonari wrote: -Place that cannot invade
Interior of VEXIRK AREA, The other side of waterside of GREEN HOUSE, Door of double keyhole, Bookshelf in the southwest of BIBLIOTHEKA
I would be surprised if you can get access to these areas (BTW: I have deleted the doublekeyhole-door in the latest update because it was not nessecary for the whole gameplay...)
Tonari wrote: -Item of uncertain usage(It might be a decoration)
SCROLL in front of ABORT, SWEETS
SCROLL is decoration - SWEETS has one meaning, but mybe you have solved the "problem" otherwise.
Tonari wrote: -It is not possible to advance previously though the place that had been written, "MIND THAT YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF DEATH" was found.
what to do there you will find out later.
back in the place that could be called "church" there is a stain of blood at one wall - that could tell you, what the secret of this wall is and what your next step should be (and you can solve that in this level)
Tonari wrote:The returning thing cannot be done, too.
what do you mean exactly?

Last: I am thinking about the Problem with the "low-stronged-Party"
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Hi all, well having downloaded it for the new RTC v0.4.4, I can say that the hall of champions look s great, but then it crashes when I go down the first steps in the main game and turn left - something about divide by zero.

NB: I could only download the original dungeon, not the update posted later on.

Still, looks like this dungeon will get another update soon, judging by Thom's replies.

The interesting point raised was the "player gets trapped in dead-end chamber" - seriously, if the player saves the game in a dead-end bit, that'll stop anyone returning to a game. [Although, I do admire the zero-tolerance of dumb-players - it is a refreshing philosophy!]
It is true, people do not read minds though, so go easy on us. :)

Look forward to playing it and glad it's full of spelling bugs [I'll see if I can write one in German so you can have a go at me ;) ]

Let me know when you've got the latest one up, or how to get it.
When I figure out how to stop mine crashing, I'll post it too. Til then, I'll keep trying to play the others...

Cheers.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, it's not zero tolerance on dumb players, it's zero tolerance on peopel with no time

If you come to an area without an obvious solution, you woudl save to come back to it fresh

You come back fresh, spend 10 minutes, and realise you have messed up your save by saving in a dead end without any release

Anyway, I'm done on that subject : )
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

new Version:
http://www.file-upload.net/download_30. ... 4.zip.html

just compiled it for 0.44
Look forward to playing it and glad it's full of spelling bugs
*sigh* - 2 people had a look on the code - if there are still bugs I would be very sad... could you please specify the points..?

And about dead-ends: I am really trying to avoid them now. If there are still some, please let me now.

bye

THOM
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

hi

long time since the last post. My question is: did someone ever made it? are you people stuck somewhere? is the storyline too hard/boring/simple/silly?

If it is, or if there are any other problems, please tell me so I vary my dungeon.

NEW VERSION!!! "revisited"!!!

look at http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=26415