New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

I got it working after downloading all of the pre-requisite files.

It runs very quickly and smoothly on my machine (Athlon dual core 2.2ghz, Geforce 7800GTX, 1gb ram, windows xp) even with full graphics enabled.

This alpha very nicely showcases the potential of this clone and its looking awesome so far.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

MoonHawk - Thanks for your positive feedback, did you finish the demo ?

I should really tell everyone how to spot the end of the demo ...

If you teleport into a room with two ettins in it and you have to flick a switch to turn the lights on, you have finished the demo.

There are 3 levels to the demo, I can post the maps up (but only if you really need them).

Thanks,
Dave
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Sophia wrote:It won't run for me either. :(

It says:
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application."

So I did. :(

However!
I don't know if I need to download something else, or for that matter, if my computer (2.5ghz, 1GB ram, some crappy old GeForce) is up to the specs.

Maybe you could post some rough required specs and links to any packages that you need to download besides this on your download link :)
If you go to Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Information

Then click on "Components" then "Display"

That should tell you what graphics card you are running. You can then look up the specs and see if it supports the required pixel shader version.

edit --> Sorry just realised i`m probably trying to teach this poster how to suck eggs. I`m new here - dont kill me :oops:
Last edited by Moonhawk on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Hi DSE

No I havent finished the demo yet - now I know there is an actual end, i`ll have another go.

Would you like playtesting feedback on this alpha - or is it at too early a stage to be worrying about stuff like that.

Cheers
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

The direct translation seem to be "casting string "0.0" onto a 'Single' type is invalid." and "Invalid entry string format"

Windows XP Pro SP2 PL

Latest updates installed. Legit copy.

Sure, I'll do dxdiag in a sec.

http://acid.ch.pw.edu.pl/~suule/DxDiag.txt
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

You can email me a list of ideas, suggestions and problems if you like. I will then (when I have a number of replies via email) post a complete list of 'next steps' and feature includes on the forum.

Thanks.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

ok - will do.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Suule - apologies for this, it should run like a dream on your machine, its almost identical to another machine I have tried. Also, I have had no problems with any XP machines before. The only noticable difference is that yours is set to Polish, I cant see why that would make a difference though.

I will have to investigate further ... I will return shortly.

Thanks.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Okay. I've updated DirectX as you told me too... same with .NET and installed the physics engine... so I'm quite puzzled what may be the cause.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Just out of interest - can you tell me what -

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Dodatek Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

"Dodatek" means ? I have not seen this before.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

It's means "Add-on"
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Ive sent a few observations through. Nothing major (and nothing too critical I hope :twisted: ).

Now to get back to the demo and see if I can finish it :D
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Suule - I am really sorry but I have just found out what the issue is, its because you arent English :?

If you change your regional settings to English it will work :D The problem is because (I have just learnt) that you guys use a comma to seperate numbers where as we use a full stop. My system parses a load of vertex information which is "dot" notated, which isnt going to work for you. I will sort this out and release a new version soon, sorry to be a pain.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

MoonHawk - we are on the same wave length. I already had those points down to complete/adjust :D Nice one :D
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Ohhhh! That's right!!! I didn't know that could be an issue since I used American system in coding since the early days of BASIC. When it comes to .NET/VB stuff like that begins to matter!
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Suule - I cant release the new version tonight ... or tomorrow as I am working :(

Will you try changing the regional settings, or is this too much hassle ?

Thanks.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I don't think it'll work. The problem may lie in the kernel (Yeah PL versions of Windows seem to have few quirks that EN version doesn't and vice versa) so I really doubt it would change something, but I'll try...
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

heheh :D thought you might. I`ll hold off reporting anything other than bugs for the moment (although to be honest - I havent seen anything that could rightly be considered a bug at the moment) - you obviously have this all in hand.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Hot damn. It worked! Okay, I can test it now :D
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Suule - I just changed my regional settings to Polish and it breaks the application straight away (after a windows restart). I then switch the settings back to English and it works great ! It will work as its just how the OS is interpreting numbers, dates, currency, etc.

Dave.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

"F1" will take a screen shot (which you can use for bug reports)
"S" to sleep
"P" to pause the game

A few hints (look away if you want to try and find them yourselves) -

there is a light switch on level 2.

the barrels contain food stuffs (some of them do anyway), if you place them in your action hand the items will be displayed.

You can cook food on the camp fires to make it edible.

You can top your water skins up at fountains.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

"You can cook food on the camp fires to make it edible. "

Yeh - I spotted that - neat idea. You could add this as a plot item into the game e.g. cooking food makes it more nutritious. Or some food items are poisonous until cooked.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

the meat actually harms you until you cook it (makes you vomit so your food bar does down). But poisonous food stuffs sounds cool, nice idea mate.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

I hadnt tried eating the raw meat - sounds like you are way ahead of me.

You could adapt the idea of cooking food - to cooking weapons. Have blacksmith furnaces later in the game that allow you to temper swords to make them more powerful (at the expense of longevity?) or to repair broken weapons perhaps.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I ate uncooked meat. Bad idea. Overall my first impression is "WOW!" I'll test it more tomorrow...
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Personally - I like my meat rare :twisted:
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Suule - Glad you liked it, isnt it about 2am in Poland, you should be in bed !!

Moonhawk - LOL - I think we are now starting to talk about creating an Oblivion type game. This could turn into a very interesting coding experience. Keep the ideas coming, they keep me happy and they are fun to read.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

Well if you ever get short on ideas - give me a shout, but somehow I dont think you'll need too much help in that department.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Cool, thanks for your support. Well I am in England and its 11.30pm and I am a wuss (oh, and working tomorrow). So I will speak to you tomorrow if you are on the forums. Might have some more posts by our American and Canadian friends as well ... we will see.
Moonhawk
Novice

Post by Moonhawk »

yeh - have a beer then get some kip - you`ve definately earnt it