If I like Dungeon Master, would I like Oblivion?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamuu
Journeyman

If I like Dungeon Master, would I like Oblivion?

Post by isamuu »

I have been contemplating buying Oblivion for the PC. Seems it's getting praised as a great RPG, albeit with a few glaring flaws. Ever since I played DM many years ago, I've always wanted to playing a good RPG in the first person view. What do you guys think? Is Oblivion a game you'd recommend to a hard-core DM lover?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I just finished playing Oblivion last week (well, the Main Quest of the last expansion - I have the GotY edition), but am still playing it 'cause there's a whole load of lesser quests and stuff I haven't done yet, and there's a load of stuff I wanna have a mess around with (just got Wabbajack but not zapped anything with it yet :twisted:). I think Oblivion's great - the scenery is beautiful (I have a whole load of screenies I took which I'm keeping to swap through as my desktop wallpaper), and the gameplay is pretty similar to Morrowind, which I've played through twice (again, GotY edition so the main game plus both expansions).
Overall, I reckon I like Morrowind a bit better than Oblivion (mainly owing to a bunch of stuff you can do in Morrowind but can't in Oblivion, though there are some cool things in Oblivion which you don't get in Morrowind), but both are fantastic games - I'm not saying that if you like DM you'll automatically love the Elder Scrolls games, but as you can see, I like both, at least ;).
If you decide to get Oblivion (or, indeed, Morrowind) and wanna chat about it or whatever, rest assured you have at least one person who will be happy to do so :D.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, btw :D.
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

+1
Oblivion is probably what can be closest to DM in today's games.
If you buy it, don't forget to install the mods (BT, natural faces, etc.) that can really improve the game.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Thanks guys :)

I think you guys have just talked me into buying Oblivion. Question is, is the game available over Steam? If so, should I buy the steam version or the retail box version?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Umm...I'll let someone else answer that one as I have no idea what "Steam" is - some kind of download? I just bought the GotY edition in the shops - had been wanting to play Oblivion for ages and got my own comp (since my dad's would probably xplode if I tried it on there ;)) in order to do so. And Spore, whenever that finally comes out :D.
I've been thinking I'll probably play Morrowind again some time soon - I played it before on my dad's comp early last year after he got it for himself (along with NWN) as a Christmas prezzy, but it goes all laggy after a couple of hours of zoning outdoors a lot. So at the end of last year I got myself an XBox and Morrowind on that so I could play it lag-free. But now I have my own comp, I somehow reckon Morrowind'll run without any fuss on it, muahahaha :twisted:.
First time I played Morrowind, it took me maybe two months to finish it (original game plus both expansions). Oblivion I think I finished (the final expansion) maybe a week ago, but I missed out a load of stuff. Well, I missed out quite a bit in Morrowind too. But there's waaay less guilds to join in Oblivion - technically it feels like there's less in it than in Morrowind but there's still plenty to do - it's just laid out differently I suppose :).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Oblivion doesn't seem to be available on Steam : http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php ... re=3&cc=FR

I never played Morrowind, or more precisely, i *tried* and got killed on my first mission : i remember a very fast-running mage killing me almost instantly on a bridge.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Cool :)

What are you guys' PC specs?

My machine:

Sager 9880 Laptop with...

Intel Pentium 4 3.6Ghz w/HyperThreading
nVidia GeForce-GO 7900GTX 512MB
2GB DDR ram
160Gb HDD

How well will this machine run Oblivion?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Well, here are my 2 mediocre machines :
- P4 2.8Ghz *without* HyperThreading (which means FSB533!) + nVidia 7800GS AGP 256MB + 1.5GB DDR
- Lenovo Laptop Y400 (bought in Thailand!) : Core2Duo 1.66Ghz + Geforce 7300Go 256MB + 1GB DDR2

On my laptop, Oblivion runs with *almost* max quality in 1280x800.
On my desktop PC, i play under 20 fps in 1024x768 medium quality and sometimes i get less than 10 fps when fighting several enemies in cities !!

Your machine is super-top compared to mine. I'm pretty sure you can play Oblivion with maximum quality and even better if you install the enhanced textures non-official mods.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

My comp is something like 2.2GHz processor, GeForce 8600 graphics, ermm...stuff...well anyway, your specs look betetr than mine and mine runs Oblivion fine - it just goes a bit jerky when I'm running through regions with mases of grass - but it's by no means unplayable. I don't think you'll have a problem.
Linflas - a bloke on a bridge killed you in Morrowind? Was it an old-looking bloke called Snowy Granias (wow I remembered his name off the top of my head :O) wielding (I think) a hammer and who summoned a skelly? He's not so tough...but you don't have to go up that way straight away or anything - once you get out of the Customs and Excise place (ie after you've created your char, once you're given the package for Caius Cosades and told to go to Balmora), you're free to do whatever the hell you like. If you do anything that'll mess up the Main Quest (which really only involves killing a vital NPC), you get a message informing you of such. Well, I suppose you could find one of the items necessary to finish the game, and the go chuck it in the sea in the middle of nowhere or something, but why would you do that? ;) Anyway, last time I played Morrowind through, I stepped out into the world from creating my char and did the quests for every single Guild (well, except Houses Redoran and Telvanni since you can only join one Great House and I've always taken Hlaalu) and became rather uber before I even visited Caius for the first time :D.
Woo I haven't made a post this long for a while...hmm well as you can probably tell, I like to talk about Morrowind ;).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hmmmkay... let's say i'll have a try again soon :)
THE Materializer
Apprentice

Post by THE Materializer »

Oblivion is a great game. I did think of DM as soon as I began playing it; from the very beginning you're in a dungeon killing giant rats.
-+ THE ~ Materializer +-
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Oh man it looks good but I'd better not buy this Oblivion game, as it would suck all of my time away. Currently I'm addicted to RF Online, a different fish, but good for my 10-30 minute mindless hacking fixes that I need.
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Guys....I was just told about a game called Arx Fatalis. Person told me it's a lot closer to a true DM sequel than Oblivion is. Have any of you heard of this game?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The name rings a bell but I cannot think why...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

This is from Arkane Studios, they also made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic : i never playd Arx but it looks nice (for a 2002 game).
[OT]
And "The Crossing" looks promising too : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRewknGUeY
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8605
[/OT]