Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hey, I started a new game with Bugfix5 as well, trying to get 175 points so I can get on the competition board. The funeral dagger is still in the same place as earlier versions, it's the dragon helm that has gone missing, replaced by that random helm you were talking about. This also makes my 6 point rush record obsolete.

Anyway, what are the dragon-furxer and funereal needle? Haha I'd forgotten that they are funereal instead of funeral. For the golems, I just punch them to death, seems fastest and gets you ninja levels you might otherwise not get, I think the Inquisitor, or whatever it's called in conflux, is awesome against golems, but you have to get chani to get it. And don't give up on the maleficent guild, it's a good challenge and you can usually get out of any tricky spot you've saved in with patience. Which area are you trapped in?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I'm in Moria currently. In my previous game, the balrog had been telefragged by the orcs. Now, it's here, and I must recognize it's a very tough fight.
He seems to be able to do randomly high damage
(Kills a 660 hp Gando in one shot, sometimes)

I don't remember where I found the dagger.
The dragon-furxer, is well, just Furx.
Funereal Needle is a thorn found in the sewers. I just like to alter names when I post.

I also punch Golems now. The unique gauntlets makes it a piece of cake.

I'm not really trapped, but I'm a bit bored to go all over the places again, just because I want to discover new secrets (4 guild guides just keeps you from discovering so many things ! ).

The only difference with my previous game, is that I play a lot more key-conservatively. I've only used a few keys until now.

The new funereal weapon tweak is really something twisted and cool, Zyx !
What Is Your Quest ?
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

The Balrog has some super attacks as I remember, could kill my old 999 character in one hit, but he's not necessary to kill and you can escape Moria avoiding him. I don't think monsters can telefrag monsters, only the party can.

The new funeral weapon tweak? If it's to do with the funeral exe it creases me! Took me ages to realize what was happening.

Unique gauntlets...will have to keep a look out for those.

Yeah, I don't like how you have to replay to discover all the areas and secrets, although there is a way to get all the characters in one game haha :twisted: I like to have a single perfectionist game. I think I wrote most of the character secrets on the wiki maps, but new ones have been added.I noticed Lief is a lot more vocal already. Still don't really understand how to get the 'water of death' though.

I never use a key unless it opens a new, previously unattainable area.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

has anyone inclinations to write in the dmWIKI soemthing like :

make your life easier -a weapon usage advice( when facing tough creatures)

including for instance

use either
unique gauntlets
or the special Guildleader sword *[thought it was diamond edge not inquisitor?]
on
Golems.
* add : attention -- effective usage of this weapon is limited by ninja level

Skeletons are best encountered with a X or y in hand..
could probably include spells as well, I thought about a collection of ways to
best defeat monsters, probably including telefragging them / i.e. level related
aso..

I would do it myself, really liked to, (has it been done?)but I have not played conflux bugfix5 and
have not ventured that far into the game like you two, Joramun and Antman.
also it is not yet clear to me how to structure it.. and it occurres to me that this might not be the right thread, so sorry. *cough just wanted to mention that, because I find it interesting to learn about special conflux battle strategies
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Antman : A way to have all characters ?
I bet you mean taking only the first Maleficient character,
and I think it is EVIL.

Thou shallst be damned for thein deeds.

Just a question :
Anyone fancied taking a character and its clone ?
What Is Your Quest ?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

So...

I have the VEN egg. I have the container of wine. Where do I get the vinegar? :?:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As I said in chat, you need to go upstairs from the main celler (not to the kitchens) and find your way to a puzzle involving pits, walls and teleporters (there is a grate on the far side of a pit too). That area also has four rock monsters in a group.

Beyond it is a chewer/screamer area, and has kath vinegars
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

The first time I played Conflux, I went down to the spider level very early, found a bag of vinegar, and ran up with the elevator.
I also had a ven egg the same way, so basically it was a quick-but-hazardous run for a flask.

I was incredibly lucky not to get stuck by a spider in a corridor.
What Is Your Quest ?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Well THAT sounds easy enough; like all the rest of C3 is so EASY. :lol:
"Wuuf's big brother"
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@all: I guess that's a no :?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

What was the question?

Edit: oh, well I think everyone is busy. There is no point saying 'you'd do it yourself but...' - just play and put down your experiences! The wiki is not two poeple's opnions alone, using only their playing styles.

As for the rest of us - too busy, too old a version i have played. I started paying conflux again and documenting, and that was as far as I got before other thigns took presidence. Might get back to it eventually
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I found a spider level. Went through it. Came to some gates/force fields/buttons. Got another emerald key from there. Went down to a stone golem that keeps regenerating at the bottom of a stairway. I even saved the game in a place that allows me to hit him once and he dies. I quickly stepped where he was, so he didn't regenerate (boy, wouldn't I like to be proficient in rock clubs, since I now have 5 or 6 :lol: ). Stepped past there and found a stone dragon of some kind, behind a 'half open' metal door.

Alas, no flask, so I may have made an error. Fun 'run through the levels' however. I take it that there isn't going to be a flask anywhere near my current location??? :cry:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There are floasks around in the lower levels (the council chambers spring to mind) but ther is no point killing yourself to find themn

Once again, for a first run through, the upper level is the best place. The shortcut of going deeper first is good once you know what you are doing and where you are going - ie, once you have beefed up your initial party, got the first flsk legitimitly, plated alot making your way down to the spider level, figured it out, then the next run with new players you will know where to quickly go
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

My idea was not to find a flask,
but to find the ingredients for the flask quest.
I didn't say it was a good idea, either.

@Zoom : experimenting is better.
I think the wiki gives away too much, including the maps, monsters, and items. (Even if some things are lacking).
What Is Your Quest ?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I haven't used Wiki, except to peek at some of the monsters.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Joramun wrote:Antman : A way to have all characters ?
I bet you mean taking only the first Maleficient character,
and I think it is EVIL.

Thou shallst be damned for thein deeds.

Just a question :
Anyone fancied taking a character and its clone ?
Don't really get what you mean about the first Maleficient guild character?...but yeah there is a long a complicated way.

Have never taken a clone, have never seen the point since you can't get any special items. But it does remind me that there is some sort of bug with Gothmog's clone.

I am interested in documenting battle strategies, almost solely for the crypt level. I still don't know how you're supposed to kill the black/grey mummy like guys on that level without mace Windu or the Inquisitor and Executioner equivalents, the only thing I found which does damage, aside from magic, is cleave on the Vorpal Blade. I know for all the other monsters, aside from immaterial monsters, the spiked mace is totally dominant compared to anything else, aside from Windu, Inquisitor and Executioner.

Essentially you need three weapons to combat all monsters, so going from best to worst.

1. Inquisitor - Vorpal Blade
2. Mace Windu - Inquisitor - Spiked Mace - the unique Mace of Order - Mace of Order - Mace
3. Inquisitor - Druafang's weapon (uncursed) - Rapier (the funeral rapier and axe would be there but they seem to sap your strength now.) The Executioner's probably in there somewhere as well, but I think it's too slow. Best to use the Inquisitor with it's second attack.

There is some cross over between lists 2 and 3 as both the Spiked Mace and Druafang's weapon can be effectiveon one monster. Also, for golems I always use punch, unless I've got the Inquisitor, that weapon seems to dominate almost anything. Other than that there's not much more I'd say about weapon choices.

Anyway, in my latest game I'm stuck, I killed the Dark Councillor and was planning to leave without touch the power gem so as not to be trapped, but it somehow triggered anyway. Now the only way out for me seems to be through the battle at the top of the stairs of ashes. This battle seems ridiculously hard for being the only way out, Lich Vecna and a horde of tough Crypt monsters in a dead end, as a teleporter appears blocking you from retreating back down the stairs. Is there another way of getting out or past this area?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I always just swapped around basic weapons or used snap dragons to overpower the party if needed (plus the strength potion is not removed, just undocumented)

The power gem area should be circumventable, vecna does not want you to succeed, but it used to only be if you came back up the stairs, using the stairs from the upper level was not punished

Unless zyx has tightened up the ways around though...maybe he did by bugfix 5 :(
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Antman : I meant that in order for all characters to be available (ie. pickable), you have to take the maleficient guild first character :
1. That way, if you want, you can pick the 3 other Mal. and get the Doll.
2. You can take all the Guild characters, but at most any 3 of them, which is not different from taking a guild guide (e.g. Leif)
3. If you take a guide (e.g. Iaido), you can't have access to the Doll.

As for the weapon set, I'd add : Gauntlet of Swiftness to hack golems to pieces.
It's like punching, but on steroids/shrooms/snapdragons: cooldown is instant.

Windu is easily found, plus it grants quest points.

I don't know about the inquisitor.
Also, are armor useful in Conflux ? I know they are useless in original DM/CSB.
What Is Your Quest ?
megar
Journeyman

wiki

Post by megar »

Antman, Joranum: thank you for posts.

I have created a new dmwiki topic : http://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux/Weapons_Guide
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

yep, that's -if you search for it- good advice
@megar: it is Joramun ! ;)

I strongly believe that armor does make a difference in conflux.
especially no clothing to clothing.. but no way to prove it :?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, there is, you can stand and get beaten down by a monster 100 - 500 times, then change clothing and see if there is a difference in results! :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Still, there might be statistical deviances... God, I just hate statistics and everything that has to do with it.

Does armor really make no difference in original DM? I always had the impression that it did make a difference, just not a very big one. How do the clones handle this?
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I think the problem is not about damage statistics :
armor are useful as long as they don't hamper movement.
But since most armor-sets weight 8+ kilograms,
they prevent to use the real DM fight-style : slash&run.
So a heavy armor would have to stop almost all damage
to be really interesting, and as test shows, the difference,
if it exists at all, is totally out of comparison with the loss of speed
What Is Your Quest ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A strong fighter or speed boots offset the weight of armour so as long as you have a base to drop unneccessary rusbbish you can still move around well
overthefalls
Neophyte

Aaaaarggggghh...

Post by overthefalls »

And I was doing so well with Conflux, also.

Here's my current situation, and I'm officially flummoxed. I used a certain scroll and it dumped me in Aquatana. From there, I've been doing everything I possibly can to get back to the main dungeon. Thus far, I have:
> Killed the crab
> Completed the beholder's lair
> Cleared out the dragon den
> Had plenty of swords, axes and daggers thrown at me
> Hacked down a line of stone golems
> Found a kitty.

However, I'm still left at a standstill. I can't find my way back, and there's simply too many nibblers spawned to look around underwater successfully.

Questions!
1. Is there any point to
a: the stone golem
Spoiler
knockdown line
?
b: the sun
Spoiler
drier
?
c: the lever/gem/pit puzzle?

2. Was there any other point to the dragon den than
Spoiler
the dragon spit
? If not, I could cry.

3. The one of the riddles in the underwater level? No idea. H I J K L M N O? I would assume it has to do with 'p' but my guesses are futile, and I'm not left with a lot of time to experiment.

4. The lever that makes elementals: Outside of making life harder for myself, any point?

5. How do I get back to the main dungeon? I'm tired of the down below.

The real crime is that I haven't even cleared out the spiders or the crypt.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, sounds like you came to the underwater level from the other side. If so....can you actually get out of the apprentice rooms? The area with the footprints had an entrace from the other side called the 'apprentice rooms'. You are doing the apprentice rooms, but to get out the entrance should be on the opposite wall from the wall with the stairs, and the entrance to the zoom area

The lever generating the elementals, if it has three fountains and gave the 'Vi' spell, is the way back to the sewers area. You need to fight the elementals long enough to escape out. IF that lever is where I think it is
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Joramund: I see what you mean now, but I meant having all characters at once. Without the bonedoll, I'm not even sure if you can get any preist or wizard levels with the maleficent guild.

overthefalls: The teleport scroll is supposed to used to take to somewhere that you set by 'anchoring' it with the anchor spell. If you don't anchor it, it just teleports you to the underwater level.

1. a) It's just supposed to make this area harder by constantly knocking you down the pits, you can just kill them. This the room where you're supposed to use the stone mushroom feature that didn't work in previous versions, I guess it's fixed in bugfix5?

b) Can't remember what this was for, you get a spell here maybe? Something to do with ZO KATH RAs rings a bell as well.

c) After completing the puzzle you get a snake staff from behind a door I believe.

2. I never found one, I cried.

3. I never figured this one out. I thought that because the letters on either side were G and P that the answer was Gold Piece, so Gold Coin, but it didn't work. Never figured out the sky riddle in there either. I hated that level.

4. Where is that?

5. Yes, I thought you could just exit through the teleport in the room upstairs from the underwater level? If not, in the underwater level there is a teleporter behind a door that teleports you to the sewers. To open the door you need to find a switch nearby on the wall somewhere. It's in the south east of the level. It's easy to see on the maps at the wiki if you can't find it.
overthefalls
Neophyte

Post by overthefalls »

We're talking about the same switch, I think.

Regardless, the door is half open and elementals are made every time the switch is flipped. Does the door eventually open or does it need to be coerced up?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Been too long - is it half open and blocking you, or three quarters open so you can escape? If it's half open, you've trapped yourself in there as the opening switch will be on the outside

Is there still no escape from the footprints room above?
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Ah-ha! I just investigated, there are in fact two switches near this door, the obvious one to the right which creates elementals, and a secret one on the wall to the left a couple of squares that opens the door. Should solve all your troubles. Good luck!

I still don't see why you can't exit from the room upstairs from the underwater level. There should be a switch activated door in the footprint room behind which is a door (which opens after you kill Xanathar) and a teleporter which teleports you to the emerald level. Perhaps this teleporter can only be activated from the emerald level in the first place maybe? Is the teleporter simply not there in your game yet?