This forum is officially RUDE.

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joramun
Mon Master

This forum is officially RUDE.

Post by Joramun »

My workplace "inappropriate-at-job-firewall" :P
has blocked the QOTW page when I tried to read it.

:lol:
What Is Your Quest ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Really? But all it mentions are hens, and the normal loving interactions of various people, and mophus....

Oh, nm...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

And it's all thanks to me. I should be banned.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

(Again).

;)
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

And...why does this come as a surprise??? :wink:

Crazy folks, a little warped, still raving about a 1/4 of a century old game. :cry:

Oh WHY don't they do a "three-qual" for us? Perhaps something to do with "some WAY POWERFUL" sorcerer, who taught the original good guy to split his personality.

Well, I'd settle for about anything. :D

(go ahead MasterWuuf, beat that dead dog into life)
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, DM is just over 1/5 of a century old -- the ST version came out on 18th December 1987.
Linesmachine
Neophyte

Post by Linesmachine »

ARGHHH, my ears are bleeding....don't use the "ST" word....calm down...breath easy...Amiga, amiga, amiga, amiga, amiga, amiga, amiga, amiga ....that's better.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ok, let's ban this one :twisted:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Well, the Amiga version WAS better...
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Now the mystery is revealed.

-That's- why Trantor gets banned all the time. :idea:

("don't give AIDS a chance". Picture taken from the TNT 5 demo)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

If you ignore the over-20-year-old debate which system is/was better, with the very thoughtful and eloquent answer always being "The one I have", and just look at both versions objectively, there is actually no doubt that the Amiga version was superior, if only for one added feature: moster steps. I don't know about you, but if I wander around an unknown area and hear monsters crawling somewhere, with the sound effects becoming louder and louder as they approach me, the atmosphere becomes a lot more tense and exciting. If I play the ST version with all those sneaky silent monsters, something is just lacking in the atmosphere department.
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

The Amiga always has been the better gaming computer.

And there is no "but".

Except maybe... DM came out a year earlier. ;-)

How much I dream of having such an experience again.
Your first potion brewed. That first gulp. That little fireball. That running away from the ghost.
And having played it for more than a year, facing the dragon and turning off the computer in fear.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Atari ST rulez !
What Is Your Quest ?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ahhh.. finally :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Psssffftfstfs! :P

Amiga Rules!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

of course "she" rules, for 1000 francs (100 £) more than the ST ... :roll:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

uh, I noted here in canada, the cost difference was negligable, and yet, I expected a far greater difference from the ST to the Amiga. Since, I had stereo sound, more memory, the ability to display up to 4096 colours at once. I mean... seriously! You want more for less? :P

There is something to be said about a computer which was used to make 3D FX for a number of big budget movies and TV shows, it was also used in a large number of music videos. The Amiga was used in a large number of music studios as well for musical purposes despite the Atari's claim to having a midi preinstalled in their computer.. if you only get mono out.. I say what the hell is the point?? Danny Elfman did most of his early movie music with it. The Amiga motherboard was the basis for 90% of the top arcade machines out there during the day. So if you went out to play streetfighter in the arcade, you were playing on an Amiga and not even knowing it.. Let's add to that that NASA had a large number of Amiga computers for their space programs. Let's face it.. the Amiga had an impressive resume. However, it simply had a poor marketing team.. who thought word of mouth is all they ever needed :P

Psygnosis in a few of their games (and some other companies did this as well) hid jabs at the ST in the amiga versions of the games. I remember one having an ST sitting in the trashbin next to the desk. Some kind of point a click adventure. :) Can't remember the name though...

I could keep going.. but only one more fact really needs to be pointed out. The Amiga still lives after all these years, and keeps getting new hardware and OS updates to this very day.. where's the Atari? :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Psygnosis...I think they did either the Discworld or Simon the Sorcerer games...both were point-and-click puzzlers (and were both cool :D). Possibly it was one of those?
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

well, the Atari Logo appears when starting Neverwinternights or so.. it has not survived bodyly like the amiga but corporationally(spiritual).. or so :shock:
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

We had Amiga logos on ESCOM computers before they went bankrupt. Now there's Atari logos on Infogrames games until they go bankrupt as well sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Lucky you, guys, with your Atari x Amiga "problems". You cannot imagine how difficult it was to get ANY western hardware (not talking about software) in the communist Czechoslovakia before the Velvet Revolution in 1989. I remember my uncle smuggling Atari ST in 1988 (at least I think it was in 1988) across the Iron Curtain (from West Germany), bribing all the armed men on the borders, and risking serious problems... and making us the kings of the town! (luckily, he didn't forget to smuggle also some games, DM was one of them...).

Before that, we'd had a second-hand Atari 800XL, and I think we were the only family in our district to have such a GREAT machine... (by the way, I still have this 800XL at home, and I think it still works... - a miracle I think).
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ha! I can imagine that Jan, although it was a bit better in Poland. As far as I can remember (I was born in `79), not many of my friends had personal computers in 80s:
- In the mid 80`s there were Atari2600-like machines, but most popular was 8-bit machines like ZX Spectrum,
- In the late 80`s there were most popular C-64 and A-500 among my friends. Not many of them had AtariST, it was unpopular in Poland.

But, all in all, no matter the prizes, in the late 80s computers (in general) became extremally popular here. I think the explosion became in `87. But 3/4 of my friends still had 8 bit machines because of the prizes. But you`re right Jan; in `87-`88 there were only two computer magazines in the market!!! (now there are dozens of them).
I remember my uncle smuggling Atari ST in 1988
are you sure? did you had some restrictions as for the hardware? in 1988? I know for sure that in `88 AtariST were avaliable even in Poland for unbelievable high prizes (though Amiga500 was always much more popular here than AtariST).

Code: Select all

Late 1980s: PC era
Yugoslavia:
The second half of the 1980s saw the rise of popularity of IBM PC compatible and, to a somewhat lesser degree, Amiga and Atari ST computers. Domestic computer hardware manufacturers produced a number of different IBM PC compatibles, such as TIM and Lira but their "success" was limited to government-owned companies that were required to purchase only domestic technology.

The grey market once again allowed foreign technology to become dominant amongst individual buyers and software piracy continued to thrive until the break-up of the country in the 1990s.
Last edited by Adamo on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/05/03/0016.php
1990:

Code: Select all

PD JOURNAL:  Another major topic at the CeBIT press conference were
 computer sales in the Eastern block countries.  Have there been already
 talks about software distribution in these countries?  Atari will place
 their computers on the DDR market - but what about the software?  

A.STUMPF:  There are official ditribution ways, through Forum, and
 naturally a lot of stuff has been and will be bought privately in West
 Germany and then brought over the now open boarder.  This is similar to
 the hardware sales.  Officially we sold so far between 2.000 and 3.000
 computers in the DDR.  But this figure does not say anything.

PD JOURNAL:  Another interesting market seems to be Poland.  The figure
 of 100.000 Atari Computers being sold there last year speaks for itself.

A.STUMPF:  Yes, among these were 40.000 STs and the other 60.000 were
 Atari 8-bit computers.  We are very strong in Poland.  Since years in
 Poland there existed a so called unofficial shadow market functioning on
 the valuta-bases.  I believe that we are the leading computer force on
 the normal, private market in Poland, not in the high end market.  There
 exist evaluations that we cover about 80% of that market. 

PD JOURNAL:  How did Atari solve the problem of converting the foreign
 currencies that always exists when dealing with Eastern block countries?

A.STUMPF:  We only made either straight valuta-deals or so called
 boarder-deals.  All you need therefore is a little time.  That way we
 sold computers to Bulgaria, to Yugoslavia and even to the USSR.

PD JOURNAL:  What role did the language barrier play?  In the DDR that
 was no problem but what about the German TOS in Poland.  Does a polish
 TOS exist?

A.STUMPF:  The main expressions have been translated.  I am sure there
 exists a Polish TOS - it is not an official one and it's just a disc
 version.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Yeah, the regime was a bit softer in Poland - Czechoslovakia and Albania were the most hard-core communist regimes in the late 1980s.

We could either buy western hardware in weird "Tuzex" shops (very weird thing indeed) or to "smuggle" them from Austria or West Germany. Actually, it was not a real smuggling, but you had to either hide the computer, or to bribe the policemen in order to avoid a high taxation (in better case) or confiscation (worst-case scenario). Or, thirdly, you could get western computers if you had connections to the communist establishment (which was not our case).

But, all in all, it was extremely difficult to get a western computer if you were not from Prague or from a communist family (which I was not).

In Czechoslovakia, some 8bit computers were produced as well (e.g. PMD 85, IQ 151, Didaktik - a ZX Spectrum illegal clone etc.), but their performance was extremely poor (these were more heating machines than anything else).

But... yeah, we could talk about this subject for hours and hours, but I think your experiences are very similar.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

But despite this, Czechs and Slovaks managed to get a surprisingly great number of western computers. The most favorite were probably Commodore and 8bit Atari (and maybe also ZX Spectrum).

Another thing was software - I think there is no need to stress that 99 % of games were illegally copied... I remember the huge piles of cassette tapes on my table... and that was very expensive to get an empty cassette (one was for about 100 or 150 CZK - a new car Skoda was for about 50.000 CZK in these times - so it was one car for 500 cassettes or so...).

(also I might by mistaken by my poor memory)
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

Ahh...the ZX-80 & ZX-81 ruled!

I'm I the only person to have played on the GS?