Graphics.. what else.

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Graphics.. what else.

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok well, I'm bound and determined to get this done however there really are a few small things that are slowing me down. I can't properly layout items without knowing where on my wall texture they will land. As well as how they will look when they get there. It's also a little pointless to make them all for a wall set and then no one be able to use them.

you mentioned once that you do the walls in a fairly complex/clever way and it's rather difficult to replace the images via and override. So then I ask thee, how is it they're layed out is there some change in how you put together the graphics of the walls themselves or is it simply how they are sent to screen.

could you replace the walls in the .rtc for me pleeeease.. just the walls. You can get them from my site or I can send them to you by email. I imagine this would be a bit easier/faster than the current process of trying to create a way to override them.

You can write the info here or if you preffer send to email Cowsmanaut@collegeclub.com I'd really like get this set as done as possible. If I need to change anything about them please let me know. I'll do anything! :)

cheers
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Graphics.. what else.

Post by George Gilbert »

The problem with the other graphics is that they're stored as tiles of many images rather than single bitmaps.

To override the single bitmap you just have to replace the bitmap with a different one (which is easy, and therefore implemented). To over-ride the tiled bitmap there are two options:

1) Over-ride all the tiles on the image (i.e. just replace the originating bitmap with another one). The problem with this is that you need to know how they're all set out which is going to be a pain to document and isn't very flexible.

2) Over-ride part of the image corresponding to just one tile (i.e. you supply a new bitmap, which the code then splats over part of an internal, bigger, bitmap). The problem with this is a massive overhead and I need to know where they're all set out; which, unfortunately isn't as easy as it sounds (as it can change each time you run the program).

As I said it really requires alot of thought as to the best way to sort this out.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

ok..

Post by cowsmanaut »

So with the first option it's just a simple switch right? You need to know where they are in the file, which you do. I'm not asking for the override function yet I know you haven't quite figured that part out yet. You needn't worry about documentation or flexebility.

As you know my graphics have been based directly on the orriginal DM graphics so as not to stray too far from the feel. This means the walls are chopped and layed out the same, same number of bricks per wall (except in the side view I fixed a perspective problem there) and all that. So if they were if they were shrunk to fit a 320x200 res could you not just switch the old walls with mine? Or is it still more complicated than that? I just need a basis for reffrence.

All I really want this for is to match up things on the walls to know what I can include and what won't work, how they look in the distance when scaled, how the walls darken at different light levels. I mean What I'm doing here is basing everything that goes on the wall with this wall texture. To get soft shading around the edges of a wall object means I nee to keep a peice of the wall around it that has the smooth shading other wise I'm stuck with sharp edges. so I need to be sure everything will match up rather than going ahead and doing everything only to find out I need to do it again later.