RTC DM Level 13 and throwing firestaff.

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Karamoon10
Neophyte

RTC DM Level 13 and throwing firestaff.

Post by Karamoon10 »

I have read that getting out of the firestaff's room with the complete Firestaff will activate a pressure pad, which toggles two walls on level 12 preventing the party from going to the upper levels.<br><br>It seems i can avoid that by throwing the complete Firestaff through the door to the south before stepping on the pressure plate.<br><br>I have read (again) there is another end of dungeon master, if the party is able to come back to the entrance of the dungeon.<br><br>But it doesn't work on RTC the walls are always here.<br>And as i have never try this on my Amiga, i don't know if it's true, false or not yet working ?<br><br>Thanks for answer. <p></p>
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Level 13 and throwing firestaff.

Post by beowuuf »

It is a 'bug' in all the incarnations of DM that you can do this, and let the full powerstaff escape from level 13/14

RTC, at the moment, doesn't let you as the pads work differently, and also to correct this back door.

SInce people are used to it, alot of petitions have been made to switch it back through!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For more information, see this thread:

<a href="http://pub50.ezboard.com/freturntochaos ... 0.topic</a>

And while we're at it, have you thought about this anymore George? Perhaps for v0.20.... ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, make it a configurable option in the config : )
DM_BUG YES/NO
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

moo

Post by cowsmanaut »

The other "I have no more use for you filthy maggots" ending is still in there though right?

I like multiple endings.. I wish I could make it so there were a few more possible endings for these..

moo
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: moo

Post by George Gilbert »

The alternate ending is indeed implemented. It is activated by bringing the plain (non-gem) firestaff back to the beginning of the dungeon.

I have no plans on adding bugs to RTC though...well....not intentionally at least ;-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Bug?? Don't think so.

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree that the Firestaff/Power Gem pad in DM is probably an oversight, but I don't think it's necessarily a bug. However, George, I believe your interpretation of how to 'fix' it in RTC is flawed, which is why I suggested the new functionality.

With the RTC pad functionality changed from DM, it means that puzzles like Put the Gem Back and the Diamond Edge corridor don't work properly - those pads are activated when you throw objects over them, which clearly should not be the case.

This is why I suggested new functionality for pads in the thread specified - and to implement that certainly wouldn't be deliberately putting bugs into RTC; in my opinion you'd be adding functionality that enables an existing RTC bug to be circumvented.

At the very least, if you don't want to implement new pad functionality, the existing pad behaviour should be changed so that objects moving through a tile with a pad on it (i.e. thrown) should not be checked against the pad's operation. Only when objects are placed on the tile or if the party is carrying them, should the pad be activated.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: Bug?? Don't think so.

Post by Lunever »

George, couldn't you implement the so-called bug in it's original form to RTC's "Original Dungeon Master" and have the "bug" fixed in "RTC Dungeon Master". For that's what these 2 different modes of play are for, I think.
<p>Komm zur bunten Seite der Macht! </p>
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I agree. Both the firestaff "feature" and the "ghost" behaviour when killing of a character in the hall of champions while picking a new one are part of the original and belong there if you call your version RTC - Original DM.

Regards, PitD