Rusters, again

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Rusters, again

Post by PaulH »

I was just stealing graphics from, er, sorry, looking at graphics in Eye of the Beholder and noticed a ruster. Any reason why both DM and EOB should have the same creature with almost identical graphics, or was it ripped off?
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

nooo, eob never ripped anything off dm [/sarcasm]
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Us brits can see sarcasm, no need for the explanation unless you are from.... damn, keyboards stuck
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

we have even been known to detect irony : )
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

just wanted to be on the safe side, infact i have to mark sarcasm sometimes in other forums ;) (my nation-mates are not the ones known for humor...)
i don't want to say eob is a bad game, but in some parts it's really close to dm, while it has some nice twists like the spider webs, the teleportal items or the monsters which really steal weapons, unlike the harmless rusters in DM. on the other hand, eob bases on ad&d, which existed before dm, which could mean...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

hehehe... keyboards fine now ;-)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I like EOB, I like EOBII even better. The graphical interludes add more atmosphere and story, even if the mechanics and actual gameplay are below DM
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Seconded, though I can only comment on EOTB 2
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, while EOB is directly D&D, almost all fantasy role playing games are somehow influenced by D&D, even such a unique marvel like DM. The ruster is a classical D&D monster that usually scares PCs more than even the most deadly monsters are able to do. Recently I discovered a real bad monster in the D&D 3.5 Draconomicon: The rust dragon...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, the rust monster is from D&D and was 'ripped off' wholesale by FTL -- they renamed it and changed it's appearance a bit to avoid copyright infringement.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

quite hard to design a fantasy-game without using any monster from ad&d unless you create a real fantastic world like albion (nice game btw). if you ever get hands on the monster compendium of ad&d (and can lift it ;)) you will surely agree ;)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I suppose there is not that many more monsters than can be created without looking vaguely like something else. Maybe I'll create a huge George Bush head thats wondering through the lower levels of a dungeon searching for Ful bombs of mass destruction
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Love it! Sounds pretty scary to me. :)
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Or perhaps a Tony Blair spider that grins as it spins a web around you, a Michael Howard slug that oozes slime all over you, and a Maggie Thatcher medusa whose gaze turns you to stone...?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I would hate to see the entry for Paddy Ashdown then...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

An army looking guy who you don't remember about when you go into the next room

lol at Des's idea, though i imagine a more smarmy vampire for Michael Howard
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Slug + vampire = leech ?
BobR
Neophyte

Post by BobR »

The thing about Eye of the Beholder is that it appeared on the PC market during the time that FTL was working on converting Dungeon Master to the PC. Unfortunately it took them so God-awful long to get the game out that by the time it appeared, EOB and Ultima Underworld had both had time to become established "favorites" and Dungeon Master became nothing but an "also-ran" in the PC game market.

So a lot of people who are unaware of the Atari/Amiga worlds have the notion that DM is nothing but a ripoff of EOB... when of course WE all know it's the other way around. Sigh...
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

BobR wrote: So a lot of people who are unaware of the Atari/Amiga worlds have the notion that DM is nothing but a ripoff of EOB... when of course WE all know it's the other way around. Sigh...
I played EOB2 first, and I feel that it is a better game then DM. Had I played DM before EOB, it might have been the other way around I guess.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

What bugs me about EOTB2 alot was the very start - there is no way that doesn't feel evil to kick the story off. You either have to kill the old woman to get the scrool that makes you suspicious of the clerics, or attack the clerics themselves when they have done nothign to harm you then. A few shallow graves does not an evil temple make!
That's all, for something based on AD&D and roleplaying, you can't actually investigate the temple and learn it's evil without jsut hacking and slashing without any provocation...even if you end up being right
A little thing that always bothered me. Plus the rigid adherence to the AD&D system always annoyed me for magic and weapon options and leveling up. Not that I'm saying i didn't enjoy it as a game, i just liked DM for it's inclusiveness and freedom much more.
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

I think that the system used in EOB is perfect, while I dont like the magic system of DM :? I think its a matter of taste mostly.

As for the start of the game I think you are right, the first time I played I wanted to act like lawful good people should, hence I got stuck, so out of boredom I entered through the door spite the fact that it wasnt the good thing to do.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, different strokes : )
glad someone agrees with the start thing, and doesn't go 'dude, it's a gaaaaaame'
-'yes, but i'm supposed to be investigating stuff, not beating up old woman'
'dude let it go'
etc
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

'If it moves, kill it. If it doesn't move, kill it anyway'
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Or not

PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I had forgotten about that, now you've ruined it for when I replay it lol!!!
Wolfspirit
Neophyte

Post by Wolfspirit »

Hi all,

I was just looking for some info on Dungeon Master and found this site.

The reason is that I have created an Eye of the Beholder conversion module for Neverwinter Nights and some people have suggested that I create a similair one for Dungeon Master. Quite a few people have said that they consider DM to be better than EotB.

I didn't actually get to play DM myself for many of the above reasons, but in order to make a conversion I would need a copy of the game for PC, a rulebook and a cluebook, can anyone suggest the best place to get these?

If you want to see what I have done for EotB then look here :-

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/da ... 3338.shtml

Thanks

Wolfspirit
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You can find the game, the manual and several clue books on my web site.
Wolfspirit
Neophyte

Post by Wolfspirit »

Thanks Christophe,

so how well do you feel a NWN conversion of DM would be received? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Cheers

Wolfspirit
BobR
Neophyte

Post by BobR »

You'll probably encounter many similar responses to mine:

Looks like I'll have to get into Neverwinter Nights after all, if you DO make a Dungeon Master conversion... :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Funnily, someone else offered to do this ages ago...there is a thread soemwhere in the clones i think...
nothing came of this, so good luck