Queries appreciating some answers/feedback

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Angelus
Neophyte

Queries appreciating some answers/feedback

Post by Angelus »

Hi,

I'm an old time DM and CSB fan from back in the Atari days.

I've just recently found the Return to Chaos download and got back into the game.

Now i find there is another sequal (The Legend of Skullkeep)

What I'd like to know is ..

Whats the easiest way of getting this game?
If Download (english) where do i go?
Is it windows xp friendly (as RTC is)

Or do i need to muck around with Dos/Files (as this is not my computer am reluctant to do too much tampering).

Any feedback/answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

~Ångelus~
I don't engage in a game of wits with an unarmed man
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The easiest way is downloading the game from the encycloapedia, the links are at the top

it is not XP friendly, you either do need to do some DOS fiddling, or get DOSbox. There are a few threads here about getting it to run under DOSbox.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

If you insist on playing the original Dungeon Master (for MS-DOS PC) you have to handle either true MS-DOS (which doesn't pose a problem on a Win-98SE-partition) or have to install an Atari or Amiga emulator and play the Atari or Amiga version. However, the sequel Chaos Strikes Back has never been released on PC, only on Atari and Amiga (the Amiga version being slightly improved).
Easier is to use CSBWin, which is a XP-compatible port of the old Atari-version including both DM and CSB. CSB has the advantage of being absolutely true to the original.
Or you use RTC which is a DM+CSB-version programmed completely anew for Win-XP/Direct-X. While it very very close but not perfectly true to the original, it is somewhat improved beyond the original and allows you to freely transfer characters from any dungeon-savegame to a new dungeon-game.
You will find all downloads on the Encyclopaedia or the RTC-hompage, both are included in the "Quick Links"-bar above.
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

yeah...original dm is a real hoot under dos...if you have an usb mouse..and sound on board, which is only accessible from windows..argh!
I better stick to the clones, then i even get more than 60Hz on the screen while playing DM(RTC, Paul's Csb )
But guess you were talking of Skullkeep anyways...so dosbox will be your choice...and you could consult this thread for more details on the issue: -->Dungeon Master 2 Works in Dosbox 0.61
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Hmmmm, I've always got the original DM to work on Windows XP fine. Well the game plays fine but I can't recall if I had sound or not.
Angelus
Neophyte

Post by Angelus »

So I guess it's going to be more difficult to recode DM2 into the same kind of language that GG did with RTC?

Not to worry, while I'm doing a Solo run of DM (using Hawk?? (the guy with the arrows) i've reincarnated him and got him up to Journeyman, Craftsman, Novice, Apprentice (and he's JUST got the same mana that Tiggy starts off with). .. Man Fireball makes life a lot easier :D

I'll have to try the DosBox thing later after i finish the game with parties, solo's and CSB as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
I don't engage in a game of wits with an unarmed man
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

RTC is a completely new engine, created from scratch to mimic DM. So basically he would have to know what needs mimiced, then alter the code to mimic it, then fix the 100 bugs and 1000 miggles that people will have with it! No mean feat, especially since v1.0 isn't out yet that's just DM and CSB...so yup, quite difficult for a hobby project!

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”