Online Gaming

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Online Gaming

Post by PadTheMad »

All this talking on the forums tonight has given me a headache with pictures, or an idea whichever way you look at it. Do any of the users play any online games such as UT2004 or Counter-Strike (I know there's more but I'm too tired to function properly at the mo.)

If so, would anyone be up for a game sometime?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

or HL2?
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Well i do prefer Deathmatch to CS but everyone I game with rips me for it. Glad to see another fan!
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

I only play with... I mean by myself. LOL I just like those little flash games and such, like the room games and other stuff but I don't play multiplayer games.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ooh eer matron!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I play EQ and now that Imperium MUD that BFS posted up a few days ago :).
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

HL2 deathmatch rules. I've only gotten to play it a bit, though. My computer can't handle HL2. :\
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Mostly the free ones..asuming they're not trying to invite kids to a M rated game.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Anybody playing Medal Of Honor - Allied Assault ? I have yet to try the others...
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Starcraft! Yay!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The only time i ever won against my friend on that was when i just produced a billion zergs and flooded him off the map!
It was fun, i just sat there and spawned them until i heard the 'holy crap' of the reveal, and went 'attack!'

mmm, floodilicious
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh I forgot to mention Diablo II...I've played that online too, though I like the single player version better - you can't trade stuff between chars, but at least you don't get lag, the black wall of death, or go LD altogether. Plus you get to keep your maps (unless you change difficulty levels), and you don't bump into any n00bish wazzoks who can't even type a full word, let alone understand simple concepts such as politeness. Though you can avoid them by just making yourself a passworded room :).

Post by simaton »

I played EQ for years, firiona vae server (I HATE the "no trade" rule). I still occasionally renew and play for a few months.

I dislike guilds, enjoy soloing, yet chatting much. In my ideal MMORPG, I'd prefer all the content to be available via 3-person groups. I have a lot of ideals I'd like to see that have never been done. One of my dreams is to write it someday, even if it's a free 2-d game (though I'd prefer a 3d one, in maybe blender and python).

I like to think I'm fantastic at counterstrike, though I haven't played it in a while. Scouting people who think they're good is fun, until they start running hacks that let them HS your whole team at the start of the round.

I played Dark Ages of Camelot for a while. Auto-trained my paladin to lvl 50 to squeeze a few extra trains out of him. I specced 50 shield, 48(?) chants, up to Amethyst slash and the rest in parry. Guarding a 2nd paladin with the same shield spec is fun in PvE. Paladins sucked for RvR though, from my experience. I'm a solo kind of guy and that just didn't work since everything was about numbers.

Nowadays I just play single RPGs, old-school stuff like DM, CSB, The Summoning, etc. I'm studying assembly (HLA) to improve my high level programming (I like Python but can manage C and Pascal). I'm highly impressed with Paul Steven's work at recreating DM and CSB (I just recently discovered that DM still existed, which I played back in the day) and I'm enjoying them. I finished DM as a kid but could never find CSB.

- Simaton
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Since this topic was started (nearly two years ago?! Wow! :shock: ) I've got into World of Warcraft, got out of it and got back into it recently when the expansion came out. Whoops! Bye-bye life and my degree...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Played EQ for about four years, but it changed so much in that time...so many new expansions, changes made to stuff I was used to (for example, they made it that you got a couple of new spells every level rather than a whole bunch every four or five levels)...in the end it didn't really feel like EQ any more. We haven't played it for ages now but it was great while it lasted :). Started out on Xev server (my EQ birthday was around 11:30am on the 20th of March 2001, jfyi), but /movelogged to Antonius Bayle when it went live - was the first Euro server...later on they brought out Kane Bayle (another Euro server), then Sebilis (France), Kael Drakkel (Germany) and Venril Sathir (England).
Anyway, that probably means bog all to people who haven't played EQ so I'll stop there before I get to reminiscing about such wonderful things as Cabilis, Veksar, my good friend Wuoshi, and of course Fippy Darkpaw...:D

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I hate MMORPG's, and I hate single-player games that try to emulate them. I love multi-player games, though, and I'm disappointed that there aren't more games with LAN support. The only game I play online anymore is UT2004, and that's very seldom. I'm also a cooperative gamer, and I hate competing with strangers. This philosophy permeates all aspects of my life and explains a great deal about me as a person. I don't compete for jobs, women, or attention.

However, I did have a LAN party with a couple friends last weekend. We started with UT2004 onslaught, and it took us a while to figure out how to get all three of us on the same team. By default, the game attempts to balance players between teams. This meant that at least one of us was competing with the other two during the first couple matches. That actually was rather fun, because my friend was vastly superior in skill and tactics than the bots we were fighting, so it made for an interesting challenge. Next time maybe there will be four of us, and we'll be able to pit our skills against one another fairly.

Anyway, I could go on about multi-player gaming for hours, because it's something I've given a great deal of thought over the years, but I'll spare you.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't mind playing multiplayer (hence four years of EQ, hehe), as long as it's co-operative. I don't like to play competitively...like, from what I've seen of WoW* (my friend plays) , it's largely populated by idiots who like to PK others or generally mess up their gaming by KSing and stuff :P. And also, PKing is rewarded. Blech :P.

*World of Warcraft, for those who don't know
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

That's not entirely true about WoW Ameena. There are different kinds of servers to play the game on, and PKing is sort of impossible on many of them. You can even try on an RPG server where the behaviour of the players is closely watched. You won't find many people who go "omg u noob!" all the time there.

Having said that, I used to play some WoW about half a year ago, after my friends who are addicts had persuaded me for months. Somehow, I never really got into the game, I think it becomes very old very quickly. For some reason, the addictive gameplay that made Diablo 2 so great just isn't there for me. Plus, the VERY long time to actually get anywhere bored the hell out of me. I cancelled my account in December after not playing for months, and I don't plan on ever returning - but I can still play DM for the 40th time.

All in all, I am similar to Tom Hatfield here, I prefer a LAN session with a few friends to online gaming, the social aspect just does it for me. We used to play Doom 2, Starcraft or Diablo 2 endlessly on weekends. Ah, those were the days...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ahh, starcraft. I'm not proud to admit that the only time I beat my friend was when I initiated a zergling rush one game.... and even then, I only won because I'd also stuck a third base as far down the map as you could get and he couldn't find it in time before the barely controlled swarm got to all his units!