Speed Runs

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Froud
Artisan

Speed Runs

Post by Froud »

Absolutely amazing the times people can complete these games in.

Mines 2 hrs 35 mins for DM and 5hrs 45 mins for CSB. I guess someones completed in 93 seconds or something !

What is the record for an absolutely bog standard game from scratch using supplied characters from the HOC ? No jiggery pokery of any kind what so ever.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I don't think there have been any tricks in the times people have got ~45 and ~10 minutes are the respective fastest times

I guess people should post their times whenever they play DM / CSB normally so we can build up an idea of non-competition times where monsers have been engaged, etc

Welcome to the forums (I think others have said it, but may as well make sure) : )
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Im sure Im being dense, but it takes me longer than 10 minutes to kill one dragon in CSB to obtain a vital key ! What am I not understanding here regarding these super quick times ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Simple techniques and luck I guess - drop down a pit onto the KU dragon to kill it, or simply launch a stream of OH VEN trapping it (done that myself and wasted it depressingly easily). The 10 minute run did have lucky aspects to it, so a realistic run will easily double or treble that. Have you watched the movies? It would let you see definitively
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Not been able to get the movies to work. (Told you about me being dense) ! Will go and have another try now. looking forward to seeing them.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

10 mins for a Dragon? Heh I can probably do 'em in about two...the strong ones that is, not the wimpy ones like in the illusory-wall maze in Ros who die in a couple of Mon Fireballs. I just kite 'em round like I do any single mob and they go down soon enough :twisted:. Mind you, different people have different techniques to achieve things so...

Post by Guest »

I find that Ku Dragon well tough! Must be something wrong with me! I like the idea of dropping on him from a pit though. Ive been fireballing him and he takes LOADS of hits before going down. The Ros ones are pretty easy I agree. The most annoying monsters are the Munchers even though they are a bit woosey. How boring is it getting poisoned every 2 seconds :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the guy has resistance to fire - really, poison clouds do slilly damage if you can corner or freeze creatures and just build up a huge cloud. Yeah, munchers you really needto just use low level fireballs and get them before they get you!
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

It is fun though casting a poison cloud over that pit the munchers appear out of. Most satisfying watching them turn to black smoke the very instant they appear.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I tend to use melee on Dragons more than anything else...maybe chuck one or two Fireballs if I get a chance to ready the runes during kiting, but other than that it's normally "Side, turn, back, hit, side, turn, back, hit..." until WHUMP big cloud of smoke and pile of FOOOOOOOOD :D.
Artisan

Post by Froud »

How many characters you using Ameena ? Im just using the one and though hes fairly tough he takes forever killing that Dragon with axes and swords. Im toying with the idea of starting the game again and dropping on his head. Never occurred to me for some reason though I figured it out in Dungeon Master years ago.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can go up the stairs and find the excecutioner (protected by knights) that will give you a nice berserk option to make the attack go quicker

I tend to take one character too
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I previously only took four but errm about a week ago I played DM solo for the first time. Killed the Dragon in exactly the same way as normal only it was more fun 'cause I was quickly swapping Inquisitor for the Firestaff every time I backed up (I kite the DM Dragon around the pillar in front of the stairs), lobbing a spell, then sidestepping and swapping to the sword again before he exhaled at me.
I've not started CSB yet but I will...and probably die about fifty times in the Worm Room but meh ;).
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Yeah got the executioner. Its my favourite weapon. Its particularly effective against that huge mob of worms on the final level. I tank myself up with potions to maximum strength and wade into them. Most go down with a single hit !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, then you shouldn't find the dragon that difficult!
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Lol, No I dont have have that much trouble with him. I mean hes never killed me yet ! Just takes a bit of time. Id forgotten how much Dragons hate poison clouds. Even a low level one makes them run like hell in a corridor. At least it did in the ST version. My character has completed the game already but Im still sending him round out a sense of completism.

Still missing one piece of Dragon armour and one pair of speed boots.

God, I have too much time on my hands !
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

I am playing the RTC version. Could this make a difference? Just attacked that Dragon again in a new game and he is wicked hard ! Though the poison definitely worked better than fireballs
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

DM record is 31mins 45... not that I like to keep mentioning it.

And was a bog standard game recorded in CSBWin. No special effects!
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Very impressive time Paul. Im gonna try for a fast game tomorrow. Ive started doing this a couple of times in the past but get distracted along the way.

Might do a practice run first to remind me of what the essentials are and what can be avoided. Level 5 can virtually be ignored if I remember.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Its a unique mix of tactics and luck. Not as much luck as CSB, but there are definate places in the dungeon that make a big difference. Good luck!
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Thanks, I dont think your record is in any danger ! I will be pleased with anything around the 2 hour mark. Even thats a bit optimistic.

One big problem will be where the knights are positioned on Level 11 I should think. Having to fight them would be a big time waster.

Also level 8. Depending on how many skeletons and ghosts block the way. Though a couple of magic boxes should take care of them.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Also remember how the clock in CSBWin works. Sleeping speeds up time by a factor of 10. The clock is based on a series of 'ticks', 6 to a second plus extra ticks for actions. the final time can be worked out from the number of 'ticks' that is displayed at the end of the game.

Level 8 was just Dodge City! Run and run! The knights are sheer luck. the 1st one is dodged, the second one thrown down a pit, and the rest is just hope! The worm level is hardest I think, and Scorpion level is very problematic.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

OMG yes , The Scorpion level. Shudder. Lol Ive just realised Im quite nervous about doing this ! Thats the beauty of this game. Ive been playing it for 18 years and it can still make me jittery !

I remember years ago having to abandon playing for a few weeks as I was getting really bad nightmares about the pink worms.

BTW How many characters do you recommend ? I was thinking two is probably the best for a speed attempt.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, yes, RTC will make a difference since sleep is slower, and the engine is close, but not exactly the same - also, monsters can attack you if you move quickly atthem (just as you can them) - small things, but I don't think you can beat the CSB time with RTC. Good luck with the DM one : )
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Hi Froud and welcome... You're beginning to have me interested in that DM speed run thing... I guess I should try it... My question : resurrect or reincarnate ?

(Love your new avatator Paul !)
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Hi Florent and all

Ressurect I would guess for a speed attempt. Just had a horrible thought. The Knight on level 11 who can be dropped down a pit. The fall in RTC version doesnt kill him outright :( BIG shock the first time I played it !

It seems RTC version will take longer, but I do admire RTC greatly. graphically seems a step up. Be interesting to know how quickly it can be done. Any of you master type dudes know the record for this one ?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

In the beginning there were rules for 'Official' speed
records. You had to Reincarnate a single character
and you had to make a recording of the entire game
in a single run. No restores. The 9 minute CSB game
broke one of the rules. It had a save/restore in the middle.
So it gets an asterisk by the record it set.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

I remember when CSB first appeared on the Atari in 19 what ever it was.
1990 ?

My mate and I had an increasingly bad tempered competition to see who could finish first. I won with a time of around 3 weeks ! God knows how many hours that included. I wondered then if this was a record that might never be beaten :oops:

Ok just about to start my DM speed attempt. wish me luck.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is no way to record RTC games currently

I would say ressurect to have weapon options istantly available - tryign it with Halk, though getting bored. Not to do a dis-servie to selie, but level four is really easy. There is a certain amount of luck for not gettign worms close to doors, but otherwise it was just run city. All i've had to do is thump a mummy, telefrag another, punch to death three rocks (needed some sleep between and lost some time there, maybe luring and runnign aorund would be better) kill two screamers with quick thrown items and hits, killed the wasp with a door, though didn't mean to (it was behind me and would have lived if it had just backed off), and am currently having to wade through the worm swarm. Already have my three items for level 6, so no need for level five.

Edit: Lol, and two sets of worms went down the blind corridor, so it was punch one set, dance around another, level six here I come!

Edit 2: Level 6 is much easier if you just hit the mace of order room for the blue gem, and luck the poison blob (single player is good for this though to avoid bolts)

Edit 3: (Downloads knocking my net) And dead on eight. Not directly through monsters, but jsut stupidity - could i remmeber where the key was? Could I? I managed to run around happily in level right for a while generating creatures before I rmemebered - and even then it was then running aorund finding the door and not really makign the effort to avoid creatures what did it. Off and on I would say that was like 10 minutes of play there. There are some rat fights you have to do, but otherwise a stressless game ain't taking too long!

(Had to restart and repost this)
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Ahhh. damn it.

I was going so well. Then one of those flying eyeball things on Level 6 blew the crap out of me :( Didnt even see him. he was lurking at the end of a corridor.

Next time I will have to save from time to time. That was one bitching fireball he threw there.