[Custom dungeon] The Arcane Study [RTC] [DMDM a.k.a Mindstone]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mindstone
Adept

[Custom dungeon] The Arcane Study [RTC] [DMDM a.k.a Mindstone]

Post by Mindstone »

Version: 1 for RTC V0.33
Platform: RTC
Author: DMDM a.k.a Mindstone
Email address: manny_fandango2000@yahoo.com
Date published: 2005, August 20
Date last updated: 2006, January 17

Notes:
New demo, means new feedback needed please :-)

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Last edited by Mindstone on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

PaulH did a Sci-Fi dungeon in CSBWin, I think it's Black Flame...it has Discotroopers and light sabres and Darth Vader and stuff in it, though I've not played it yet myself. I'll download your dungeon now and give feedback when I've played it :).
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I've played it...I presume I got to the end of what you've done so far because I couldn't find any possible way on - there is no way to open the "Halls of Infinity" door and I couldn't get any further on in the "It will be your guide and your death" bit with the Fireballs...I followed them as far as they'd go and then they would just keep exploding in the square next to me and not leading me anywhere, though I tried exploring further but kept getting teleported back to the start. It's pretty good so far and often kind of "Ooh, new place, dum de dum...aarrrrghh dragon wtf eek run run run phew...argh a door argh this argh that..." hehe. I died once at the start of the dungeon but that was it I think.
Look forward to seeing more of it :).
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

http://dmweb.free.fr/Forum/download.php?7,109/FRITH.RTC

The fireball wall supposed to go through the wall and lead to a manic fireball chase!!!!! The above version is the fixed demo version. I cant believe how many revisions Im having to make even on demo's. From now on I promise to playtest more throughly before bunging my Dungeons up.
Last edited by Mindstone on Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yes, playtesting helps :). But I don't mind playtesting for you ;).
On Master

Post by Suule »

I will try it too.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm nope, it's no different :(. Maybe you forgot to save it or something? The RTC Editor doesn't ask if you want to save it when you press the close button, it just quits.
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Maybe I should just go tighten up a noose, and leap to my death!
AARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHH!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol don't worry, I've fooked up loads of dungeons in the past...at least yours will compile and you get a chance to upload them for other people to have a go at :).
I should get on with my dungeon atm...I'm working on my comic atm though.
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

I would very much like to play your dungeon Ameena, my turn to playtest! And get lost and puzzled in a new dungeon, and select cool characters and all those other great things that come with starting a new unknown dungeon.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah but you'll have at least a few months to wait...when I can actually be arsed to get on with it, it'll take ages :).
Anyway...carry on with your dungeon and get the bugs out of it so the rest of us can play it :).
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Black Flame is part sci-fi, but I have had ideas for a long time to make a complete dungeon set on a space ship.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

That explains a lot...
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Tried to download this but along with anything else I try and download from the site, I get the following error message.

"critical error- terminating programme

file can not be read

data\ init.dat

attempting to terminate now"

What do I need to do ?
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

http://dmweb.free.fr/Forum/download.php ... arcane.RTC

Yes its that holy grail of dungeon making, a demo for people to play, and then to recieve feedback, so that game may change.

Enjoy (or try to anyway)
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I've been re-downloading some custom dungeons since my old PC snuffed it, and this one appears to have vanished. Was it abandoned?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Last download I had if someone wants to host it:

http://www.dmjump.net/arcane.RTC
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

AH god bless you Mr.beowuuf!

I thought I'd lost my treasured Arcane Study forever, it is a really early version so I have lost like 10 levels of intense storyline based dungeon, but at least i have somewhere to start again.

Woo hoo!

edit:

I havent actually got the arcane.txt file that i need to upload onto the RTC editor, doh!!!

Is there anyway to convert an .RTC thingy into a .TXT thingy????

Cheers
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If it's a pre-0.34 dungeon, you can load an .RTC into the editor and save it as .txt.

I managed to recover Reactor this way too :D
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

DMDM wrote:Is there anyway to convert an .RTC thingy into a .TXT thingy????
No - not at all if its after V0.35 (this is by design to stop people cheating!).

Having said that, I can load the RTC file into a debugger and dump as much stuff out as possible into a TXT format. This won't get everything, but it'll be better than nothing.

Let me know if you want me to have a go at this for you!

Sophia's method however is much better if it works for you - although again, you won't get everything back, but about 90% is better than nothing again!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Perhaps the "decompile" facility could be restored to the RTCEditor but make it prompt for a password - rather like the dungeon key system CSBWin uses to stop peeking?

The real answer is of course for designers to take regular backups. I backup all my important PC files to my MP3 player once a week - it's really fast using USB2. This saved my butt when my old PC suddenly died a few weeks ago. I had taken a backup the day before so I didn't lose much. However I hadn't backed up the dungeons I had downloaded but not got round to playing yet, which included Arcane Study.

So the version on the link is an early beta then, is it still worth playing? Was it the most recent version uploaded? If not someone may have a newer one on their hard drive.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I'd also prefer the password solution.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

the version that is up for download at the moment is REALLY old. If anyone has a later version and can post it up I will be eternally greatful :-) !!!!!!!!!

p.s. The current version is a rather feeble 9kb in size!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: The Arcane Study Revamp (RTC)

Post by Lunever »

I'm currently gathering every information available about what custom dungeon was made with what engine/editor version and I also try to create a backup of all dungeons and source files available.

The Arcane Study I got seems to be for RTC V0.33. Can anyone confirm that it was created entirely in V0.33 and ne newer version is available?

DMDM: Would you maybe willing to provide the source files for backup purposes? Of course you'd still decide alone whether they would be released publicly or whether they would be backupped nonpublicly only.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

I think i m also having troubles with this one, becuz all the buttons i have come so far cannot be pressed.
Is this intended to be like this or has it to do with a version conflict?

Any help would do

thx
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

If I remember you have to use an object to push any buttons, don't know why. Just hold an object in your action hand and push it against the buttons or levers.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Might have been an old activation issue, or the use of a wrong ob_by
antraxus
Artisan

Post by antraxus »

Thx i downloaded an older version and now it works