Web Hosting Advice

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Web Hosting Advice

Post by PadTheMad »

Right, I'm considering doing a website as a side project as both an area to showcase my creations and as an online community for my old friends. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice / suggestions on Web Hosting Providers.

My current site is hosted freely on Lycos which is pretty good because it supports databases which allows me to have flashy news-posting software and a forum. It also provides 50MB of webspace which isn't too bad at the mo, but may run out fast when I start uploading my games and stuff :(

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any good deals or could comment on Lycos' paid service. The package I am looking at is the 'All-in-one' at £4.99 / month, with the domain free for a year, 1GB of webspace, 10GB / month bandwith, 100 POP3 webmail, Support for PHP 4.3.10 and one MySQL 4.0.18 database. Is this good value? I'm favoured to stick with Lycos because they've been fine for me as a free customer and it'll be easy to transfer all my existing stuff over... :)

Thanks,

Pad
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i get 100 mb, php, mysql, 10 gb traffic, subdomains and email-adresses für 3€ a month. so you offer sounds ok.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

If you have a permanent connection, you might consider running your own web server. I get unlimited bandwidth and 74 GB web space (the size of my backup partition). The software I use is Sambar (http://www.sambar.com). I run it in service mode to alleviate hassles.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Thanks for the advice guys - I've decided to go with Lycos after all, stick with what you know and all that :P

Tom, I've got a permanent connection but my service is slow enough as it is, it is a nice idea in theory though :)