Ongoing Maintenance -- Skins

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

This forum may only have one possible look and feel in the future. Which would you prefer?

subSilver
17%
Chronicles
33%
Codexdark
50%

Total votes: 18

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Ongoing Maintenance -- Skins

Post by Gambit37 »

One reason why I haven't kept up with regular updates/maintenance is that it's now too time consuming to do it across three different skins.

I would be happy to continue to do this maintenance for the forseeable future if I only had to do it for one skin.

Therefore, I propose that we use only one skin and ditch the possibility for customisation. Yes, I know you've all got used to your own prefs, but sometimes we have to make sacrifices. :roll:

My preferred would be simply use SubSilver as that is the default theme and is always kept up-to-date in each patch. But of course, it's not very DM (though I always switch to it when browsing at work as it looks more "work like") :D

I could just say 'bugger it' and ditch the skins and stick with subSilver, but as we're a pretty democratic bunch here, I thought you should at least get a chance to express your preference...

So please answer the poll above!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I like the "Book" icons on codexDark, and the subSilver skin doesn't have the Quick Links drop-down menu (not that I really use it anyway, but it looks useful).

So personally, I would choose codexDark just because of the pretty Book icons. Although I suppose Scrolls would be more DM like. :)

BTW - I thought the Default theme was Chronicles, as that's what it looks like when I load up the page without logging into the site?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

codexDark too, for same reason : books are neat, you can see immediately topics you haven't read yet.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i use and prefer the skin on the dm.com frontpage - think that is dc, right? don't like default ones as much
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Default for this forum *is* Chronicles. But default for a new installation of phpBB is subSilver.

Obviously, I too like CodexDark as I created it! But it has a lot of small enhancements and twekas that aren't in subSilver. If we used this as the standard one, I would need to somehow retain a list of changes to make in each upgrade. (it's often quicker to do a full upgrade, losing all modidfcations, then add them back in -- than it is to manually update modified files while preserving the original tweaks/skins etc.)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I prefer CodexDark as it is more DM like. But if you think this is too much work maintaining this theme, then go forward and only support subSilver.

I know what kind of nightmare it is to make themes that work flawlessly in all browsers and resolutions: I am struggling to adapt the encyclopaedia's theme to the lastest drupal version, and I ditched all other themes because maintaining a single one is far enough complicated.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I'd vote against using Subsilver simply because as previously mentioned it doesn't have a look appropriate to the subject matter - and zillions of other forums (or is it fora?) use it.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

how funny, i'm not registered to any subsilver forum..
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I vote for codex dark - IMHO this is the best
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There are different skins for this forum? As in, different appearances? I never knew that...mine's always been the same and I'd have no clue how to change it. It's err...brown...whichever one that is. I like it as it is so I wouldn't change it if I did find out how.
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Just like Ameena, I didn't even know the forum had different skins, and just as her I am used to Chronicles, which I really like. I think the Avatars look better in Chronicles than they do in Codex Dark, and I think the red dots are easier to identify than the open books. However, this may just be because I am used to Chronicles.

I'd prefer Chronicles, but could live with Dark Codex. As there are countless subsilver forums on the web, I'd vote against it - it looks very sterile, boring and is used way too often.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, red/blue dots easier than open/closed books?

yeah, if it's too much trouble i could live with the change...eventually *really loves dark codex though*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I'm also baffled by Trantor's dots.... how are the easier to identify than open/closed books?

To those who didn't know you could change skins: You make my life easier! You can change it in your Profile.

And I never noticed that I hadn't put quicklinks in subSilver -- they should have been there!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I used your default for years but did not like it
because the different parts of the pages
did not stand out. Wen I found I
could select a different skin I tried them
all and selected subSilver. I have been using it
for a year or so and like it best.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

About the blue/red dots versus open/closed books: I don't know why, but the red dots just jump in my eye immediately. As I said, this is probably just because I am used to it; I am very much an animal of habits. It sort of makes sense to keep just darkCodex, though, since the background is the same as the one on the homepage. Seems like darkCodex is the most popular one anyway, and I certainly wouldn't mind it. So feel free to count my vote for Chronicles as just half a vote.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, subSilver has to be maintained no matter what as it's default -- so if I stick with one of the others, it only reduces the work by a third. If I stick with subSilver, it goes down by another third.... ;)

Hence my keen-ness to use subSilver.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

As boring as I find subSilver, I could also live with it. Gambit, you are the one who has all the work with the skins, so if you don't want to invest so much time anymore, it is perfectly fine for you to say so. Nobody of us would have any right to complain - but many of us, me included, would be greatful if you support one of the other skins. ;) But after all, it's the content that matters, not how pretty the forum looks, right?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm happy with it as it is (Chronicles then, presumably) so would think the forum looked weird if it got changed to something else...but I suppose I'd just have to live with it if it was what the majority wanted...I dunno what these other skins look like but I can't be arsed to chek right now since I have to go in a minute so I'm only on here quickly...
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you know what, why don't we see if images within subsilver can be altered to make it more DM like, then you only need alter the code and copy back all the images in the folder.. done.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

now looking at the dark codex.. it's got some nice elements to it.. though I would give the grey a bit lest contrast and make it a little bit darker. I find it makes me read a little bit slower than the chronicles or subsilver one. just a bit distracting. I like the new topic and reply buttons better on chronicles sorry :P but I do like all the wood bits and stone here.

I think if the subsilver were just slightly altered.. it might work.. going to go play a moment
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Codex dark is already based on subSilver -- but I made some functional enhancements to it that I didn't copy across to subSilver.

Anyway, can't look at this for a while myself.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Distracting cause you usually don't read from it : )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... vermod.jpg
just a quick play with the subsilver myself..i
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Pretty :)

So all you did is change the colours of different backgrounds and such, instead of drawing up an entirely new forum layout? (If that's what happens when making skins?)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Ongoing Maintenance -- Skins

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:I could just say 'bugger it' and ditch the skins and stick with subSilver
That'd be my vote!

It's standard, clean, and useful, everything a UI needs.

What exactly do you have to do that requires changes to all skins, anyway? And how is the information for those skins stored?

If it's a matter of three config files with a lot in common, I could probably write you a quickie perl program that'll take a master "skeleton" file and spit out all of them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry cows, kinda don't like it...the rounded solid colours and, funnily, the brickwork. I think that's why I like dark chronicles...it's a subtly textured grey without being in your face and nicely light for something called 'dark chronicles'

I did take a look at the skins thing nd noticed you seem to have to define a heck of a lot of parts too it! Didn't realise it was so much work, and I assume that is before you then add all the tweaks you did like quick replies, etc
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same as beo, i really like this grey background too... (just check my website :roll: )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

wel the bricks I tossed in there because I had nothing else. Near by.. as I said.. I think the codex background would be better if it had less contrast and was darker. Even after living with this skin for 2 days I still find the noisey texture distracting while I read.

the bricks I had intended to do that to as well and then didn't save the result.. you can see it's more subtle on top than inside.. which is how it should be... but I'm lazy.. I just wanted to point out that you can do something with subsilver quickly using what we have..

just as long as it's not subsilver :P

In a nutshell.. I don't like the New topic and reply buttons or the font itself all that much. Someone said it's like the front page.. but I never go there so I never argued against it. I think those buttons from chronicles could be used to replace them as they are wood like the ones in codex and are enough like the subsilver in size that it should blend easily. I don't like the sticky's used in dark codex because they are too large.. and obscure the book so it's hard to tell if it's open or closed. I like the concept of the books.. just I think the red bits need to be rethought. maybe make the paw translucent.. something.. make it more clear. If I'm going to be stuck with one I want to be comfortable. I think drop in contrast ont he background texture will also help those like paul to read more easily too. It's a compromise of all 3. Subsilver's layout so that it's easy to update.. just supply the new images and change the text color. using a lot from codex to keep the fantasy feel, and taking a small part of chronicles just to satisfy those of us making the transition.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/ ... ermod2.jpg

codex with quick changes to meet subsilver and my little niggles. :P

oh and wuff.. I guess you never saw quoted text in codex then. It's got lots of high contrast bricks in the background :P I think those need be also dropped WAY in contrast.. I just noticed them.

Anyway, I should also say Gambit I'm sorry for ripping your skin to shreds here. I'm just not able to adjust to a few elelments of it and I would really like to. I liked the idea of a skin made from scratch for DM.. Chronicles is not my own.. I changed two images.. thats it :P I would have ditched it long ago when you made this skin.. I just couldn't get used to it. Others were happy with it so I said nothing at the time.. we had choice.. now.. I'm looking at not having choice so now suddenly.. out of no where I'm making all these statements. :S Please don't take offence.

moo
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Having voted for subSilver I change my
vote to something like cows has supplied.
Simple and very readable.
But I reserve the right to revert after I see
an index page. The 'New Post' indicators
must be very obvious.